• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

KJA

Would any fans of the show recommend it to a non-anime watcher?

There aren't any conventional anime cliches in it (like ditzy schoolgirls in skimpy clothing or some quip about having magical powers), so I'd definitely recommend that you watch it.

It's a story about mechs vs aliens but obviously there's more than that. What I'm basically saying is that if you like science fiction in general, then you'll be right at home.

kiguel182

I wasn't a fan of the ending either. I actually had to rewind it to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

If you come across any others like this, please post them. While the ending sucked, I enjoyed the ride.

I'm a sucker for "bottle episode" scenarios. Even the crappy ones, I just love those types of premises.

Coherence is a great one in that "genre" altought the themes and setting are pretty different from this one. But it's a very good movie, I really recommend it if you haven't watched it. And go in blind for sure.

There was also one pretty crappy called Nine Dead that was just 9 people in a room trying to figure out why they were there. It was nothing special but, as I said, I have a soft spot for this kind of thing. It marries my love for mystery with my love for bottle episodes. I'm weird like that I guess.

Cade

I thought it was the same director but it isnt.
For some reason in my head I have them related, don't think it's the actress because I didn't really recognise her.

Haha. I know what you mean. Maybe just 2014 sleeper hits. You're Next IS the same director and writer though! :D

Haha. I know what you mean. Maybe just 2014 sleeper hits. You're Next IS the same director and writer though! :D

Yeah that was great fun as well, loving that theres a bit of a revival in these kind of fun 80s style genre films.
I think I was chatting to a friend about you're next and they were recommending the guest and it follows and I probably just lumped all three together in my head.
Still, got to get to It Follows soon though.

Asbel

I fucking love Kung Fu Hustle. I'm so glad its on Netflix. I'm kinda disappointed that I don't already own the movie.
I had it on UMD once. Lol i know

Just rewatched God of Cookery and King of Comedy. Don't know how these hilarious movies get such bad ratings on netflix. The bad dub just adds to the comedy.

sfedai0

Banned
Actually, lotta Stephen Chow's movies revolve around a "riches to rags and back to rags to riches" motif. But hes such a great actor, it always seems fresh.

tomtom94

Been starting to work through the list GK86 gave me so some brief reviews:

Jack Reacher
Watched this in two parts. It's what you'd call a 'stylish thriller', you can tell because the opening sequence goes on for eight and a half minutes with no dialogue. Weirdly, Christopher McQuarrie's directing is better than his writing, which is many kinds of cliched and quite uneven. Still think Cruise was wrong for the lead, but he gives his all and there is some good action. Three stars.

Whiplash
JK Simmons deserves his Oscar. I wasn't as big a fan of Miles Teller or the ending sequence as others seem to be, but the score and direction are fantastic. Definitely check this out.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
Some very creative ideas, stuntwork, and supporting turns from Jeremy Renner and Simon Pegg make this possibly the best of the MI films, which I remember being quite a surprise since everyone considered Cruise over the hill when it came out.

The Imitation Game
Saw this with my mother and we both agreed that the direction and acting are really good but the screenplay is just a little bit too saccharine and downplays Turing's homosexuality so much that the climax isn't really believable. Worth watching for Cumberbatch, though.

Watching Netflix with Internet Explorer or Firefox it seems to not be communicating with my Subwoofer. PC is connected to my Amp via HDMI running 5.1 setup. I think Amazon Prime does the same thing.

Watching Via the Windows Netflix App the Subwoofer works fine. Is there a setting I need to enable to get Bass support with Internet Browsers or am i shit out of luck?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Baby Boom (Comedy)
Bionicle: The Legend Reborn (Family)
Dancer and the Dame (Indie, Comedy)
Death Race (Action)
Faults (Indie, Drama)
Hell on Wheels Season 4 (TV, Drama)
Knights of Sidonia Season 2 (Anime)
The Concert (Drama, Comedy, Foreign)
White Collar Season 6 (TV, Drama, Comedy)

Hell and Sidona have been up already, just forgot to add it to the OP.

Canada:

Arranged (Indie, Drama)
Before I Disappear (Indie, Drama)
Blow (Drama, Crime)
Captive (Action)
Casting By (Documentary, Biographical/Marion Dougherty)
Collateral (Thriller)
Patch Adams (Comedy, Drama)
Prometheus (SciFi)
The Lords of Salem (Horror, Supernatural)
The Mask (Comedy)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
There aren't any conventional anime cliches in it (like ditzy schoolgirls in skimpy clothing or some quip about having magical powers), so I'd definitely recommend that you watch it.

It's a story about mechs vs aliens but obviously there's more than that. What I'm basically saying is that if you like science fiction in general, then you'll be right at home.

I would recommend it to anyone. Its a very good series that feels a bit anime in the second season but only for like 3 episodes.

Thanks, guys. I will check out this weekend.

I'm a sucker for "bottle episode" scenarios. Even the crappy ones, I just love those types of premises.

Coherence is a great one in that "genre" altought the themes and setting are pretty different from this one. But it's a very good movie, I really recommend it if you haven't watched it. And go in blind for sure.

There was also one pretty crappy called Nine Dead that was just 9 people in a room trying to figure out why they were there. It was nothing special but, as I said, I have a soft spot for this kind of thing. It marries my love for mystery with my love for bottle episodes. I'm weird like that I guess.

I have Coherence in my list already. I will add Nine Dead. Both sound like it would be right up my alley.

Added today:

Baby Boom (Comedy)
Bionicle: The Legend Reborn (Family)
Dancer and the Dame (Indie, Comedy)
Death Race (Action)
Faults (Indie, Drama)
Hell on Wheels Season 4 (TV, Drama)
Knights of Sidonia Season 2 (Anime)
The Concert (Drama, Comedy, Foreign)
White Collar Season 6 (TV, Drama, Comedy)

Hell and Sidona have been up already, just forgot to add it to the OP.

Canada:

Arranged (Indie, Drama)
Before I Disappear (Indie, Drama)
Blow (Drama, Crime)
Captive (Action)
Casting By (Documentary, Biographical/Marion Dougherty)
Collateral (Thriller)
Patch Adams (Comedy, Drama)
Prometheus (SciFi)
The Lords of Salem (Horror, Supernatural)
The Mask (Comedy)
Is that the newish Statham Death Race?

kiguel182

Thanks, guys. I will check out this weekend.

I have Coherence in my list already. I will add Nine Dead. Both sound like it would be right up my alley.

I loved Coherence, highly recommended.

Nine Dead isn't great by any means but has that whole set up of a number people trying to figure something together in a closed space that I just enjoy.

If you find any movie of that genre do share! I always enjoy them and they are always good when I have nothing more to watch or don't feel like watching anything in particular.

neoism

man the ps3 UI is fucking stupid they REEEEALLLLY need to redesign it... :/
is it the same on Ps4 ?? I do prefer to use my ps3 for movies and ps4 for games but still.. I like the UI on my ipad much better..

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
White House Down (Netherlands): Holy crap, this movie was cheesy as fuck. Good action, terrible CGI, and
a girl who saves the world.
Not more you could ask for in an action movie. Olympus Has Fallen was the better of the two.

The Maze Runner (Canada): It was an alright SciFi flick. It was kinda predictable. Filled with cliche characters. It reminds me of Ender's Game, not good, but not bad either.

Xater

Like s3 of Orange is the new black way better then 2.

Really? I think it's the weakest the show has ever been. Way too unfocused. It's nice to have lots of interesting characters but they now have too many. Hell there are some that showed up like 10 episodes in and never reappear again.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The Book of Life (Canada): The art direction in this is incredible. But that is all I think it has going for it. The characters were likeable and great on their own, but the story really holds this down.

The Guest is up on Netflix UK and.. Ireland I think? Incredible film.

I went into this blind. Never heard of it before, but I watched it because of your post.

Great film. Admittedly though, the story takes a weird turn half-way through it. And the tone of the movie completely shifts after the turn. I thought the acting was great and the cinematography was well done. I loved the soundtrack.

While I enjoyed the action scenes in the second half, I think it would turn people off. Mostly since I think it is a big departure from the first half.

Asbel

Too many interesting characters?? A show with a lot of interesting characters is a strong show. A show is not unfocused when it's focus is on all the interesting characters. One long story arc is not necessary to make a good show. It's just simply not what you want or expected the show to be.

Cade

I went into this blind. Never heard of it before, but I watched it because of your post.

Great film. Admittedly though, the story takes a weird turn half-way through it. And the tone of the movie completely shifts after the turn. I thought the acting was great and the cinematography was well done. I loved the soundtrack.

While I enjoyed the action scenes in the second half, I think it would turn people off. Mostly since I think it is a big departure from the first half.
Yeah, I didn't know anything about it beyond the blurb so it was a pretty good film to go into like that.
Haha, yeah. I liked the first half a lot more than the second half too, but I can see where people would end up being disappointed it wasn't something else. I was surprised.

That soundtrack hnnng

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Cinemanovels (Indie, Drama)
Complicit (Drama)
Cupcakes (Indie, Comedy)
Cyber-Seniors (Documentary, Social)
Tapeheads (Comedy)
Thief (Action, Thriller)
Thumbelina (Family)
Traitors (Indie, Drama)

Brazil:

Deadmau5: Live at Earl's Court (Music)
The Culling (Horror, Supernatural)
Tiesto: Elements of Life World Tour (Music)

Ok, is there a way to set the volume to a default level? I dunno if it's their new UI, but it's fucking annoying that the volume is maxed out every time I open Netflix.

tchocky

Finished Deadwood the other day on Netflix. Why was this cancelled even trough its 100 times better than game of thrones?

I think it was very expensive and HBO was also co-financing Rome at that time and unlike GOT ratings were not that high. I believe Milch turned down a shorter season because he didn't think it would work since every episode was meant to be one day.

I think it was very expensive and HBO was also co-financing Rome at that time and unlike GOT ratings were not that high. I believe Milch turned down a shorter season because he didn't think it would work since every episode was meant to be one day.

What a shame. Ian Mcshane was godlike in this show.

amrod

Netflix France

The DUFF (2015)

Looks really funny

[EDIT]
Watched it, very predictable ... the DUFF in the movie isn't even ugly lol
[/EDIT]

Top Bottom