• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

rexor0717

At the end of the day, Daredevil was critically successful, has the highest user rating on Netflix, and got a speedy second season in production already. I think its safe to say its a good show.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
At the end of the day, Daredevil was critically successful, has the highest user rating on Netflix, and got a speedy second season in production already. I think its safe to say its a good show.

It's safe to say that it was a successful show for Netflix, but "good" is subjective. To me the show is not good. It's not bad either, it's just very, very average.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Chris Tucker Live (Standup, Netflix Original)
Super Fast (Comedy, Satire)
The Expendables 3 (Action)
Violetta Season 1-2 (TV, Kids, Foreign)

Mexico:

Edge of Darkness (Thriller, Crime)
I Love You, Beth Cooper (Romantic, Comedy)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Adventures of Pepper and Paula (Family)
Black Butler Season 2 (Anime)
Bulworth (Comedy)
Opposite Field (Documentary, Sports)
These Final Hours (Indie, Thriller)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I watched Rocky last night. This movie made me laugh from beginning to end. Rocky: The Man with A Million Questions. Seriously, it seems like Rocky is asking a question every other sentence.

Stallone performance ranged from good to funny. Like the scenes where Rocky is taking Adrian out on a date and trying to get her into his house. Rocky's scenes with his pets. His facial expressions during the brother freakout scene.

For a boxing movie, there is, maybe, 12 minutes of boxing. I thought the boxing scenes were bad. They weren't well-shot.

Which brings me to the best part of the movie, Mick. He was amazing lol. The stuff that comes out of his mouth was pure gold.

While I think this is a good movie, I think it is thriving off nostalgia.

I will watch the second one later tonight.

Aiii

So not worth it
I watched Rocky last night. This movie made me laugh from beginning to end. Rocky: The Man with A Million Questions. Seriously, it seems like Rocky is asking a question every other sentence.

Stallone performance ranged from good to funny. Like the scenes where Rocky is taking Adrian out on a date and trying to get her into his house. Rocky's scenes with his pets. His facial expressions during the brother freakout scene.

For a boxing movie, there is, maybe, 12 minutes of boxing. I thought the boxing scenes were bad. They weren't well-shot.

Which brings me to the best part of the movie, Mick. He was amazing lol. The stuff that comes out of his mouth was pure gold.

While I think this is a good movie, I think it is thriving off nostalgia.

I will watch the second one later tonight.

Nostalgia? It won three Oscar's out of ten nominations, including winning best picture, that's hardly nostalgia. It is a good movie.

Anyone watch Chris Tucker's standup yet? If so how is it?

I only watched the first half hour and then gave up. The jokes seemed safe and predictable. Just left me wishing that Dave Chapelle would do one instead.

But yeah, only half an hour out of a total of ninety minutes. It's possible that it got better later on.

Milchmann

Just watched the first two episodes of Bloodline. I really want to like the show, the scenery is great, I like the actors, but it doesn't hook me at all.
Should I continue watching?

Force Majeure is a sobering, uncomfortable watch, and I say that as the highest of praise. Can't look away from the screen, even despite the film's long pauses and drawn out moments. A total teardown of many modern masculinity aspects, and what being the "man" in a relationship means, but even in the moment to moment, the movie just captivates.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Force Majeure is a sobering, uncomfortable watch, and I say that as the highest of praise. Can't look away from the screen, even despite the film's long pauses and drawn out moments. A total teardown of many modern masculinity aspects, and what being the "man" in a relationship means, but even in the moment to moment, the movie just captivates.

Ooh, sounds good. Will watch.

Stackboy

Just watched the first two episodes of Bloodline. I really want to like the show, the scenery is great, I like the actors, but it doesn't hook me at all.
Should I continue watching?

Stick with it. I'm 8 episodes in and I really need to see how this all plays out. I think the hook is they are a family with each member having their own flaws.

nicolajNN

Anyone watch Chris Tucker's standup yet? If so how is it?

I watched all but the last 15 minutes, and I think I laughed once. It's maybe not as bad as that makes it sound, but it isn't very good either. Too many of his jokes are centred around him being together with other famous people, Clinton, Michael Jackson etc.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

An Amish Murder (Drama)
Bad Ink Season 1 (TV, Reality)
Creep (Indie, Thriller)
From the Dark (Horror)
Gerontophilia (Romantic, Comedy)
God, Guns & Automobiles Season 1 (TV, Reality)
Goodbye to All That (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
Hard Drive (Indie, Horror)
Human Planet Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Social)
Human Planet: Behind the Lens Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Travel)
Imaginary Friend (Thriller)
Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau (Documentary)
MonsterQuest Season 1-4 (TV, Reality)
Pastor Brown (Drama, Faith)
Serena (Drama)
Storage Wars: Texas Season 1 (TV, Reality)
The Phoenix Project (Indie, Drama)
The Bible Rules Season 1 (TV, Documentary)
The Killer Speaks Season 2 (TV, Documentary, Crime)
The Unwanted (Horror, Vampire)
WWII From Space (TV, Documentary)

Nyx

Finished Sons of Anarchy last week, really enjoyable while sometimes so over the top....

So in search of a new series to watch I ended up with Damages, first 3 EPs were good, want to see more!

Netflix must have an unbelievable amount of money.

Really surprising how much they have going on.

Well, they're out to kill an entire medium that's been the main content delivery mechanism for almost 50 years. Not surprised they're spending big up front to increase subscriptions.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Loving this poster:

c71a9e893be81cb9d67836dcf1489927.jpg

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Year in Champagne (Documentary)
An Act of war (Indie, Drama, War)
Carita de Angel Season 1 (TV, Kids, Foreign)
Changeling (Drama)
El Chavo Animado Season 1-4 (TV, Kids, Foreign)
El Internado Season 1-7 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
Eugene Mirman: Vegan on his Way to the Complain Store (Stand-up)
Joanna (Documentary, Biographical)
Penguins of Madagascar: The Movie (Family)
Rebelde Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
The Comedian (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
The Physician (Adventure)
The Shaolin Temple (Action, Foreign)
Tood Barry: The Crowd Work Tour (Stand-up)
Vandal (Indie, Drama)

France:

Highlander 3: The Final Dimension (Action, SciFi)
House of Voices (Thriller, Foreign)
Romantics Anonymous (Romantic, Comedy, Foreign)
Taxi Driver (Thriller)

Germany:

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (Action, SciFi)

Australia:

Skins Season 1-7 (TV, Drama, UK)

Mexico:

Where the Wild Things Are (Family)

Sweden:

Horton Hears a Who (Family)
Peter Pan ('03, Family)

Netherlands:

Hook (Family)

tomtom94

Netflix represented at the Emmys again - total of 34 nominations. House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are both nominated for Outstanding Drama; Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt gets a nomination for Outstanding Comedy.

Individual categories are dominated by Cards and Kimmy, but Bloodline, Orange Is The New Black and Grace and Frankie show up too:

(Drama)

Actress: Robin Wright (House of Cards)
Actor: Kevin Spacey (House of Cards), Kyle Chandler (Bloodline)
Supporting Actress: Uzo Adaba (OITNB)
Supporting Actor: Michael Kelly (HoC), Ben Mendelsohn (Bloodline);
Guest Actress: Rachel Brosnahan (HoC)
Guest Actor: Reg E Cathey (HoC), Pablo Schreiber (OITNB)

(Comedy)

Actress: Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie)
Supporting Actress: Jane Krakowski (Kimmy Schmidt)
Supporting Actor: Tituss Burgess (Kimmy Schmidt)
Guest Actress: Tina Fey (Kimmy Schmidt)
Guest Actor: Jon Hamm (Kimmy Schmidt)

Ricky Gervais (Derek) also got a nod for Outstanding Lead in a Mini-Series, Virunga was nominated for Outstanding Documentary Special, and Hot Girls Wanted was nominated for Exceptional Merit in Documentary Filmmaking.

Then the press release gets into all the technical awards and I can't really be arsed to detail all of them, but I will note that Daredevil gets three nominations, for Main Title, Sound Editing and Visual Effects in a Supporting Role. Marco Polo gets one for the opening title music.

http://www.emmys.com/sites/default/files/Downloads/67th-nominations-list-v1.pdf

Streaming fans will also note that Transparent had 11 nominations, the same number as House of Cards.

Haven't seen most of the shows so can't comment, just re-affirms I need to watch Kimmy Schmidt! The main omission for me (probably because they wanted to campaign for House of Cards) is I thought Benedict Wong might get a Supporting Actor nod for his performance in Marco Polo.

Top Bottom