• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Individual categories are dominated by Cards and Kimmy, but Bloodline, Orange Is The New Black and Grace and Frankie show up too:

*snip*

Haven't seen most of the shows so can't comment, just re-affirms I need to watch Kimmy Schmidt! The main omission for me (probably because they wanted to campaign for House of Cards) is I thought Benedict Wong might get a Supporting Actor nod for his performance in Marco Polo.

I hope they all win their categories, but I really hope Titus, Kevin and Uzo take it home. Benedict was snubbed. Dude deserved a nomination too.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't think either will win, but I'm pleased to see Bloodline get a couple of nods for performances. Ben Mendelsohn especially is so, so good.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I ain't even mad. Ellie was the worst part of that show.

we're talking about a show that features Tim Blake Nelson offering up one of the most god-awful roles in television history and then brings him back for multiple episodes.

Ellie is, if nothing else, among the most effortlessly likeable people on the planet.

Dalek

Holy shit. I finished up Bloodline and I'm blown away. A real slow burn, but it ends up in total crazy town. It's right up with House of Cards and Daredevil for me-hell I'd even go so far as to say it's Netflix's best show.

Truly amazing performances, characters and a beautiful location... seriously-it's a must watch.

Bladenic

Holy shit, you guys. Scrotal Recall is a really good show. Very unfortunate name, but a very funny and poignant show. Reminds me a lot of You're The Worst but the main cast isn't as "awful" as the characters presented in that show. It's only 6 half hour episodes. It's a British show, not a true Netflix Original. Haven't seen anything about a S2 and doesn't seem like the show had any buzz in the UK, but I'd love to see more.

I finally watched Grace & Frankie.

It was definitely a cute show with touching moments and it had a lot of charm with comedy. I'm impressed how well it bounces between the divorcees and their families and how they cope and don't cope. It's a touching and fun show all around, with a pretty unique premise and pretty tasteful representations of being gay and is a breath of fresh air when it comes to female sexuality. Girls wanna fuck, too.

I need a season 2, please.

I've also been watching Hawaii Five-O a lot lately, too--I'm already on season 4.

It's definitely a mindlessly fun show. There are some episodes that definitely stand out as being great--really damn great, actually--but the show feels formulaic for the most part. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though, for a police procedural. Perhaps I'm just used to the genre, though. It being set and shot in Hawaii definitely adds to the charm, and the bromance between the two main guys is cute.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

BoJack Horseman Season 2 (TV, Comedy, Netflix Original)
Cantinflas (Comedy, Foreign)
Invizmals (Kids)
The Business of Being Born (Documentary, Cultural)
The Human Experiment (Documentary, Cultural)
Tig (Stand-up, Netflix Original)

Okay Bojack Season 2 is damn good. They nailed the Balance between Sad and Funny moments. Also the gags are now much much better.

Everyone who quit before the end of season 1 should pick it up again and get to season 2.

What is Bloodlines like?

I don't hear much about it but apparently it is good but I have no idea what kind of show it is.

It's a very slow burn drama about the skeletons in the closet of a well regarded family in the Florida Keys, revolving around the black sheep of the family coming home and overstaying his welcome. Has some very excellent acting.

It's a much more smaller scope of a drama then we see these days, which is oddly refreshing, and very much has it's own voice. Done by the creator of Damages, so expect the occasional cryptic flash forwards.

kiguel182

It's a very slow burn drama about the skeletons in the closet of a well regarded family in the Florida Keys, revolving around the black sheep of the family coming home and overstaying his welcome. Has some very excellent acting.

It's a much more smaller scope of a drama then we see these days, which is oddly refreshing, and very much has it's own voice. Done by the creator of Damages, so expect the occasional cryptic flash forwards.

Hmm seems interesting if those skeletons and mysteries are cool instead of just regular family drama.

Will give it a chance.

Hmm seems interesting if those skeletons and mysteries are cool instead of just regular family drama.

Will give it a chance.

Well, the skeletons themselves are just background for what happens in the present day, why everyone ended up the way they did.

Everything that really happens in the show revolves around stuff happening in the present, for the most part.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What is Bloodlines like?

I don't hear much about it but apparently it is good but I have no idea what kind of show it is.
I really liked it, probably my favourite of the Netflix originals. It moves real slow, although I am pretty sure the first episode has a flash forward that tells you that things are gonna happen eventually.

Dalek

Bloodline is like reading a very good book-there are chapters where not much happens but it's all setup for the amazing last third.

Calabi

I just watched The Guest in the UK. I thought it was pretty good, not totally original, but had somewhat of an unexpected turn and a great soundtrack. and
the guest was definitely a robot/cyborg

manhack

Started using ad-free time so i can watch region free on my playstation and couldn't be happier. It's absolutely amazing how many new movies I've been able to add to my watch list.

As an added benefit they also get rid of forced subtitles (learned about those watching mexican netflix).

Pretty cool stuff.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Da Sweet Blood of Jesus (Indie, Thriller)
Glee Season 6 (TV, Drama)
Java Heat (Action, Thriller)
Peace After Marriage (Indie, Romantic, Comedy)

Brazil:

The Happening (Action, SciFi)

Kaladin

Started watching Homeland (on in the UK region). Damn good series. I"m through 10/12 so far and I've enjoyed this first season.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Started watching Homeland (on in the UK region). Damn good series. I"m through 10/12 so far and I've enjoyed this first season.

I loved the first season. I need to watch S2. I put it on the back burner since most seem to be down on S2.

I'm making my way through BoJack S1. It starts off rough. I'm up to episode 5 and things have picked it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Foxy Brown: First time watching it. It was campy and fun.

Parallels: Really great premise and good SciFi film. Ok, this isn't really a movie. Seems more like an extended pilot. The premise that a group of people traveling between parallel Earths is really well done.

There are two things I didn't like, one small and one big. The small thing is the sub-plot of Beatrix and Harry
once they get to that fancy tech Earth.
It wasn't interesting to me.

The big one is the unfinished story/cliffhanger. Seriously, when it gets really good, it is done. No answers, no nothing. I looked online and it is because this was suppose to be a TV series. So somebody better make this into a TV series because it is great.

Constance Wu is great in this.

Star Trek Into Darkness (Canada): A good SciFi movie. Zachary Quinto is amazing as always. The CGI and action scenes were well done.

tomtom94

Parallels: Really great premise and good SciFi film. Ok, this isn't really a movie. Seems more like an extended pilot. The premise that a group of people traveling between parallel Earths is really well done.

There are two things I didn't like, one small and one big. The small thing is the sub-plot of Beatrix and Harry
once they get to that fancy tech Earth.
It was interesting to me.

The big one is the unfinished story/cliffhanger. Seriously, when it gets really good, it is done. No answers, no nothing. I looked online and it is because this was suppose to be a TV series. So somebody better make this into a TV series because it is great.

Writer/director says almost daily on Twitter (including twice today) he's still trying to get it turned into a series. THERE IS HOPE YET!

One piece of bad news is that Constance Wu is now involved with Fresh Off The Boat, so she'd almost definitely be recast if it is picked up, but that's hardly the end of the world.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Writer/director says almost daily on Twitter (including twice today) he's still trying to get it turned into a series. THERE IS HOPE YET!

One piece of bad news is that Constance Wu is now involved with Fresh Off The Boat, so she'd almost definitely be recast if it is picked up, but that's hardly the end of the world.

Constance was the best part of it. I guess it's because of the way they dress her up in FotB, but I thought this movie had come out years old, since she looked young.

I watched Parallels and like... well watch Sliders if you haven't.

I will check it out.

Top Bottom