• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Symphonia

Banned
The day Netflix blocks DNS/VPNs from working is the day I unsub and probably millions of others too.
Same, unless Netflix up their game and drastically improve the UK service. That said, I haven't paid for Netflix in over two years so no biggy.

Actually, I got the same page the other day. It went away after a refresh. I wasn't trying to switch regions, was loading up Netflix at work and that page popped up.
What do you do that allows you to watch Netflix at work?

Susurrus

When I was living in Japan, I worked a desk job and was able to connect my phone to a VPN and Netflix, even over data and streamed all sorts of stuff. It was nothing you'd have to follow, lots of it background noise like concerts or standup comedies a bunch of times. Sometimes stuff like Locked Up Abroad, My Strange Addiction, or other shows that don't need to be followed closely but was kind of like having a TV in the room.

Salsa

Also if you are still using Hola after the news came out that they sell your bandwith I don't know what to tell you.

I turn it on only when on Netflix with only that tab open then shut it down

I pay for a bunch of subscriptions already so I don't feel like paying a couple bucks for a VPN that will only let me access certain regions. MediaHint seems to work less and not as many regions.

anyway, I managed to watch an entire episode of the office without it coming up, so apparently it will only show up if you pause it enough or are just browsing. Havent had it happen while watching yet

Stackboy

I can't imagine Netflix coming down on DNS/VPN users. The CEO of Netflix said recently they would rather crack down on piracy than region hoppers. Plus they are still making money.

He also said he wants to be done with regional content in 5 years time, just have one content platform.

I wish I could find that link.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Netflix picks up Lorne Michaels' movie 'Staten Island Summer'. Hitting July 30th.

The coming-of-age film, which was penned by Saturday Night Live head writer Colin Jost and directed by Rhys Thomas, tells the story of a group of lifeguards at the Great Kills Swim Club and their attempt to throw one more great party before summer ends and they leave for college.

The cast is packed with Jost's current and former SNL colleagues, including Cecily Strong, Bobby Moynihan, Fred Armisen, Will Forte and Kate McKinnon. They star alongside Ashley Greene, comedian Jim Gaffigan, rapper Method Man, Kate Walsh, Gina Gershon, Graham Phillips, Zack Pearlman and Vincent Pastore.

Added today:

Canada:

Hell on Wheels Season 4 (TV, Drama)
Velvet Season 2 (TV, Drama)

UK:

Invaders from Mars (Horror, SciFi)
The Island of Dr. Moreau: Director's Cut ('77, Horror, SciFi)
The Wonderful Country (Action, Western)

hamchan

Lets not get hyperbolic. Majority of Netflix users probably dont even know what VPN's are.

It's really not hyperbole anymore when the sub number is 65.55 million these days. Especially the 23 million international subscribers I imagine will have a higher skew towards changing region.

Holy shit, you guys. Scrotal Recall is a really good show. Very unfortunate name, but a very funny and poignant show. Reminds me a lot of You're The Worst but the main cast isn't as "awful" as the characters presented in that show. It's only 6 half hour episodes. It's a British show, not a true Netflix Original. Haven't seen anything about a S2 and doesn't seem like the show had any buzz in the UK, but I'd love to see more.

Your post, especially comparisons to You're the Worst, totally persuaded me to give this a go. Just watched all six episodes and really enjoyed it. Would absolutely urge anyone put off by the shitty title to still give it a try.

Awesome, that looked pretty good. Should be a nice warm up for Wet Hot American Summer on the 31st!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
tIaeXm8.jpg

Went away after three refreshes. Roaming around in Canada.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
BBC released the top 100 movies of all-time (according to critics). I thought I would compile a list of what is available. Would also help me watch some of the classics that I might have missed.

2) Godfather - Canada/Sweden
8) Psycho - Mexico
10) The Godfather Part II - Canada/Sweden
12) Chinatown - US/Canada
19) Taxi Driver - US/Germany/Switzerland
20) GoodFellas - Sweden/France
21) Mulholland Drive - Brazil/France
23) Annie Hall - US
28) Pulp Fiction - US/Mexico/Germany/Sweden
29) Raging Bull - Mexico
30) Some Like it Hot - Mexico
33) The Conversation - US/Mexico
39) The Birth of a Nation - US
45) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - US/Mexico
46) Marnie - Mexico
50) His Girl Friday - US/Canada/UK
55) The Graduate - USA/France/Australia
56) Back to the Future - France/Germany/Switzerland
57) One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest - Brazil/Mexico
60) Blue Velvet - US
62) The Shining - Netherlands/Sweden
65) The Right Stuff - Sweden
73) Network - UK
74) Forrest Gump - US/Canada/Mexico/Sweden
78) Schindler’s List - Mexico
79) The Tree of Life - Canada
85) Night of the Living Dead - US/France
86) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - UK/Sweden
90) Apocalypse Now - US
93) Mean Streets - UK
94) 25th Hour - Mexico
96) The Dark Knight - Switzerland/France
99) 12 Years a Slave - Canada

:/

can't think of anything else than to link it to VPN stuff

it's weird tho

anyone seen Creep yet

Some have seen in. Posted last page, I believe. Feelings are split between like and hate.

Symphonia

Banned
2) Godfather - Canada/Sweden
8) Psycho - Mexico
10) The Godfather Part II - Canada/Sweden
12) Chinatown - US/Canada
19) Taxi Driver - US/Germany/Switzerland
20) GoodFellas - Sweden/France
21) Mulholland Drive - Brazil/France
23) Annie Hall - US
28) Pulp Fiction - US/Mexico/Germany/Sweden
29) Raging Bull - Mexico
30) Some Like it Hot - Mexico
33) The Conversation - US/Mexico
39) The Birth of a Nation - US
45) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - US/Mexico
46) Marnie - Mexico
50) His Girl Friday - US/Canada/UK
55) The Graduate - USA/France/Australia
56) Back to the Future - France/Germany/Switzerland
57) One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest -
60) Blue Velvet - US
62) The Shining - Netherlands/Sweden
65) The Right Stuff - Sweden
73) Network - UK
74) Forrest Gump - US/Canada/Mexico/Sweden
78) Schindler’s List - Mexico
79) The Tree of Life - Canada
85) Night of the Living Dead - US/France
86) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - UK/Sweden
90) Apocalypse Now - US
93) Mean Streets - UK
94) 25th Hour - Mexico
96) The Dark Knight - Switzerland/France
99) 12 Years a Slave - Canada
Cheers for the list. I haven't seen many of them but will do now.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just finished Rocky III. Big shift in tone from the previous two movies. For two big reasons. I didn't view Rocky as an underdog. Which is expected, dude did win the title belt. But I also think the movie trying to make him the underdog by losing badly to Lang didn't work.

The other big difference is Rocky himself. He is no longer the man-child from the first two, a more mature sounding/looking Rocky. I think in the process, though, he lost a certain charm about him. He didn't come off as loveable as the previous films.

Lang is a challenger was great. Except when he opened his mouth to trash talk. Dude insulted a million a minute.

I liked the movie, but not as much as number two.

Will watch number four this weekend.

Wow, I didn't realise that film was on Netflix....

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is missing the countries in your list btw (Argentina/Brazil/Colombia/Mexico).

Thanks. It didn't come up in the database search, so I left it blank to go look for it, because I knew I seen it up before. Forgot to go back.

Bleepey

I was looking for a new legal drama to watch, I looked for the Pelican Brief but it weren't on Netflix and I have watched a lot of John Grisham's movies. I liked The Good Wife, Rake and Better Call Saul. I thought i'd try something new, I am 20 mins into Drop Dead Diva, can someone recommend me something not shit?

tomtom94

I was looking for a new legal drama to watch, I looked for the Pelican Brief but it weren't on Netflix and I have watched a lot of John Grisham's movies. I liked The Good Wife, Rake and Better Call Saul. I thought i'd try something new, I am 20 mins into Drop Dead Diva, can someone recommend me something not shit?

Suits is the first thing that springs to mind, though that's definitely on the comedic end of the spectrum since it's a USA Network show.

tim.mbp

Damages is pretty great.

Damages, especially the first season.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Finished BoJack Horseman S1. It started off rough, but after episode four, I really started to like it. Towards the end, the sight gags and animal puns become good. The
wolf in sheep clothing hitting on a sheep, the golden globes jokes, the orange is the new black, the Vincent story,
were all great.

A great gem of a show.

Bladenic

Your post, especially comparisons to You're the Worst, totally persuaded me to give this a go. Just watched all six episodes and really enjoyed it. Would absolutely urge anyone put off by the shitty title to still give it a try.

Awesome, that looked pretty good. Should be a nice warm up for Wet Hot American Summer on the 31st!

Wow! I'm glad you watched!

Did you notice where Luke said (I think in an early episode)
that he may have thought of a girl as settling down material when proded by his coworkers? I'm pretty sure that was Phoebe.

So sad ;(

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What is coming to Australia in August:

Project MC2: Season 1 (Kids Original series) — 6/8
Motivation 2: The Chris Cole Story — 6/8
It Follows — 8/7
Club de Cuervos: Season 1 (New Original series) — 7/8
Spring Breakers — 11/8
Ever After High: Season 3 (Kids Original series) — 14/8
DinoTrux (Kids Original series) — 14/8
Demetri Martin: Live [At The Time] (New Original series) — 14/8
Big Hero 6 — 24/8
Tammy — 24/8
Narcos (New Original series) — 28/8
A Young Doctor’s Notebook and Other Stories: Series 1 and 2 — 31/8
Doctor Who: Season 8 — 31/8
Living on One Dollar — 31/8
Nashville: Season 2 — 31/8
American Beauty — 31/8
Forrest Gump — 31/8
Megamind — 31/8
Minority Report — 31/8
Remember Me — 31/8
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire — 31/8
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban — 31/8
Zodiac — 31/8

Looking forward to seeing what the hype was about on It Follows. Given gafs track record with horror movies, I'm not holding my breathe. Also looking forward to Big Hero 6.

tomtom94

Project MC2: Season 1 (Kids Original series) — 6/8
Club de Cuervos: Season 1 (New Original series) — 7/8
Ever After High: Season 3 (Kids Original series) — 14/8
DinoTrux (Kids Original series) — 14/8
Demetri Martin: Live [At The Time] (New Original series) — 14/8
Narcos (New Original series) — 28/8

Is it safe to assume the premiere for the originals will be the same in most regions?

Mainly asking because of Narcos
and Ever After High

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Damn Australia gets Harry Potter?! I swear every region gets better movies then us

Harry movies have been up in Mexico. This is be the first time we get something before the Goblet of Fire though.

Is it safe to assume the premiere for the originals will be the same in most regions?

Mainly asking because of Narcos
and Ever After High

Yes for Narcos. Probably yes for EAH.

Nizz

It Follows — 8/7

Looking forward to seeing what the hype was about on It Follows. Given gafs track record with horror movies, I'm not holding my breathe. Also looking forward to Big Hero 6.
Haha, agree about the horror track record. People here were praising the hell out of The Babadook, watched it on Netflix and yeah..... didn't think it was all that great.

I watched It Follows last weekend on Blu-ray, while I did find it more tense than Babadook in the end I thought it was ok. For some context I did like The Conjuring and Annabelle. Cue the pitchforks, lol :)

Cade

It Follows yesss. Will be using hola one more time just for that probably although I may end up subbing to something more secure soon. Was there ever a consensus on the best one?

tomtom94

Yep. Can't go wrong at £4 a month.

Does anyone have a list of what Harry Potter films are available and what region(s) they're on?

According to Flixsearch, the first six (everything before Deathly Hallows), as follows

Philosopher's Stone: Australia/New Zealand
Chamber of Secrets: Argentina/Australia/Brazil/Colombia/Mexico/New Zealand
Prisoner of Azkaban: Argentina/Brazil/Colombia/Mexico
Goblet of Fire: Argentina/Brazil/Colombia/Mexico
Order of the Phoenix: Argentina/Brazil/Colombia/Mexico
Half-Blood Prince: Argentina/Brazil/Colombia/Mexico

Top Bottom