• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

You seriously miss nothing if you wont watch the movies. They are a waste of time.

Its like Battle Royale for Kids.

Jeez that's a little harsh. Critically they are pretty well received films. If you like long form storytelling, The Hunger Games does it on an epic thrilling scale with solid character development and has something to say.

You know, I have never seen any of the Hunger Games movies. For some reason I've never felt compelled to watch them. Catching Fire is on US Netflix, should I give it a try?

I know I'm missing part of the story not seeing it from the beginning. Too bad the first movie isn't up for streaming.

You need to watch the first one ...

Jeez that's a little harsh. Critically they are pretty well received films. If you like long form storytelling, The Hunger Games does it on an epic thrilling scale with solid character development and has something to say.

Solid characters? You mean solid character right? There is literally no good character besides Katness. Also some Cringeworthy dialogues. They dont even swear. That takes me out of the movie in seconds. And how the kids die... There isnt even one excuse ("They are kids") that justify how stupid they are.

If you dont have violence or good dialogues than have at least good development when it comes to the death of the characters. But that felt like a cheap horror movie for teens when it comes to stupid deaths of characters.

Battle Royale had at least blood and swearing. Also better characters. And more intelligent ones. And and and.

There is no redeeming point (besides katness and "its for teens") for it.

Solid characters? You mean solid character right? There is literally no good character besides Katness. Also some Cringeworthy dialogues. They dont even swear. That takes me out of the movie in seconds. And how the kids die... There isnt even one excuse ("They are kids") that justify how stupid they are.

If you dont have violence or good dialogues than have at least good development when it comes to the death of the characters. But that felt like a cheap horror movie for teens when it comes to stupid deaths of characters.

Battle Royale had at least blood and swearing. Also better characters. And more intelligent ones. And and and.

There is no redeeming point (besides katness and "its for teens") for it.

The Hunger Games is not intended to be horror. At all. The premise is a vehicle for a larger story. So if you made the mistake of thinking it was supposed to be horror simply because there is death, then you likely went into the movie with the completely wrong frame of mind.

That would be like watching Spanglish expecting to see a Happy Madison styled comedy simply because Adam Sandler was in it.

The Hunger Games is not intended to be horror. At all. The premise is a vehicle for a larger story. So if you made the mistake of thinking it was supposed to be horror simply because there is death, then you likely went into the movie with the completely wrong frame of mind.

That would be like watching Spanglish expecting to see a Happy Madison styled comedy simply because Adam Sandler was in it.

No i mean that the cheap deaths are like 1:1 with a horror movie where everyone dies because "Lol i need to run into the serialkiller".
Not that i thought it would be a horror movie. I know/knew its not.

No i mean that the cheap deaths are like 1:1 with a horror movie where everyone dies because "Lol i need to run into the serialkiller".
Not that i thought it would be a horror movie. I know/knew its not.

So you're saying the deaths were for no or bad reasons? I don't agree with that at all. The movie details enough to know why things happen the way they do.

I mean The Hunger Games films aren't exceptional but they're the best YA adaptation since Harry Potter and don't suffer from logical inconsistencies, poor plotting, or bad performances. They're solid movies that have YA tropes.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

52 Tuesdays (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
Christie's Revenge (Thriller)
Comet (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
Death in Paradise Season 3 (TV, Drama)
Dial a Prayer (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
Glee Season 6 (TV, Drama)
Preachers' Daughters Season 2 (TV, Reality)
Saint Seiya: The Hades Chapter - Elysion/Inferno/Santcuary (Anime)
The Conformist (Drama, Foreign)

Canada:

A Gift Horse (Family)
Little Accidents (Indie, Drama)
Two Days, One Night (Drama, Foreign)

UK:

White Collar Season 5 (TV, Drama)

Sweden:

Bones Season 9 (TV, Drama)
Jersey Boys (Drama)

Alright, The Guest was awesome. Just a great slice of 80s Carpenter goodness. It isn't anything amazing, but damn was it fun. The less you know the better.

And man, what a great soundtrack. That was definitely giving strong Carpenter vibes.

Cade

Alright, The Guest was awesome. Just a great slice of 80s Carpenter goodness. It isn't anything amazing, but damn was it fun. The less you know the better.

And man, what a great soundtrack. That was definitely giving strong Carpenter vibes.
Soundtrack is consistently something I listen to while gaming or doing other stuff now. So hype

Salsa

Is it? I couldn't even get through the first episode of the new season without giving up. Then again, I didn't care much for the first season so it may just not be for me.

it feels a lot tighter than the first season in terms of actual gags and whatnot, like they found their footing

im really enjoying it, but I really liked 1 too

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Saw two romantic comedies recently:

Midnight in Paris (Canada): It was a quirky, fun little film. A writer in love with Paris in the 20's, travels back in time to meet his idols. I'm currently in an art history class and the week before we were learning about all the artists in the film. So maybe that is why I was more interested in it.

Marion Cotillard was great in this. I fell in love with her character. The actors/actresses, especially Kathy Bates, portraying the different artists of its time were fantastic. I think they nailed it. Really the whole cast except Owen did a standup job. Owen Wilson kept reminding me of his character in Wedding Crashers.

The To Do List (Canada): A coming of age movie set in the 90's. The movie was alright. I laughed a few times. This movie has a bunch of 30+ year olds playing teens. I know that isn't the first time, but everyone looks old and it is kinda distracting.

Aubrey Plaza plays a type of character you would expect here to play (awkward, low talking, etc). The story is played out (virgin wants to lose it), but I guess they tried something different with the "list" Aubrey's character makes.

amrod

Netflix renews BoJack Horseman for a third season, coming in 2016 ... Woohoo!

Black Mirror, the show on netflix usa is pretty good... messed up but good

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
In case you missed it, coming in August:

August 1

Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein (1999)
Asylum (2005)
Back in Time/Cong Cong Na Nian (2014)
Beneath the Helmet (2014)
Breakup Buddies/Xin Hau Lu Fang (2014)
Bride and Prejudice (2004)
Casting By (2012)
The Code: Season 1 (2014 series)
Dancing on the Edge: Season 1 (2013 Series)
Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood: Season 2 (2012 series)
Dear Frankie (2004)
Dogs on the Inside (2014)
Electric Slide (2014)
Enemy at the Gates (2001)
Flex is Kings (2013)
The Golden Era/Huang Jin Shi Dai (2014)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
The Living (2014)
Lost and Love/Shi Gu (2015)
Masha and the Bear: Season 1 (2009 Series)
The Mind of a Chef: Season 3 (2012 series)
November Rule (2015)
Odd Squad: Season 1 (2014 series)
Outcast (2014)
Pants on Fire (2014)
Reading Rainbow: Volume 1 (1983 series)
Russell Brand: End the Drugs War (2014)
Russell Brand: From Addiction to Recovery (2012)
Somewhere Only We Know/You yi ge di fang zhi you wo men zhi dao (2015)
Sorority Row (2009)
Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns (2008)
Utopia: Season 1 (2013 series)
Vexed: Seasons 1 & 2 (2010 series)
War (2007)
Wing Commander (1999)

August 3

ChronicCon, Episode 420: A New Dope (2015)

August 4

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (2015)

August 5

Yellowbird (2014)

August 6

Kill Me Three Times (2014)
My Amityville Horror (2012)
The Look of Love (2013)
Welcome to Me (2014)

August 7

Club de Cuervos: Season 1 (2015 series)
HitRECord on TV: Season 1 (2014 series)
Motivation 2: The Chris Cole Story (2015)
Project Mc2 (2015)
Transporter: The Series: Season 2 (2012 series)

August 8

Doctor Who: Season 8 (2005 series)

August 11

Fred: The Movie (2010)
Fred 2: Night of the Living Fred (2011)
Fred 3: Camp Fred (2012)
Two Days, One Night (2014)

August 12

For a Good Time, Call... (2012)
Leap Year (2010)
The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death (2014)

August 14

DinoTrux
Demetri Martin: Live (At The Time) (2015)
Ever After High Way Too Wonderland (Season 3)
Ship of Theseus (2012)

August 15

Alex of Venice (2014)

August 16

Being Flynn (2012)
Pariah (2011)
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012)

August 17

Lord of War (2005)

August 19

Jerk Theory (2009)
Real Husbands of Hollywood: Season 3 (2013 series)

August 20

30 for 30: Angry Sky (2015)
As Cool As I Am (2013)
Strange Empire: Season 1 (2014 series)

August 21

Grantham & Rose (2014)
Transcend (2014)

August 23

Girl Meets World: Season 1 (2014 series)

August 27

Byzantium (2012)
White God (2014)

August 28

Inspector Gadget: Season 2 (2015 series)
Narcos: Season 1
Once Upon a Time: Season 4 (2011 series)
Revenge: Season 4 (2011 series)

August 29

Ride (2015)

Leaving in August:

August 1

Bad Girl Island (2007)
Barbershop (2002)
Beauty Shop (2005)
Bulletproof (1996)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)
Digimon Adventure: Seasons 1-3 (1999 series)
Driving Miss Daisy (1989)
Face/Off (1997)
The Fifth Element (1997)
Fools Rush In (1997)
Gangsters: Faces of the Underworld: Season 1 (2012 series)
Hawking (2013)
Hot Pursuit (1987)
Houseboat (1958)
Inside Fendi
Joe Dirt (2001)
Kiss the Girls (1997)
The Longest Day (1962)
The Pitch: Season 1 (2012 series)
Pumping Iron (1977)
Shooter (2007)
Titanic (1997)
Unbreakable (2000)
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1961)
We're No Angels (1989)

August 6

The Raven (2012)

August 8

Albert Nobbs (2011)
Explorers: Adventures of the Century: Season 1 & 2 (2013 series)

August 15

Family Ties: Seasons 1-7 (1982 series)
The Forsyte Saga: Series 1 & 2 (2002 series)
Immortalized: Season 1 (2013 series)

August 23

Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011)

August 24

My Fair Wedding: Season 5 (2008 series)

August 25

Petunia (2012)

August 27

LEGO Atlantis (2010)
LEGO: Hero Factory: Breakout (2012)
LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu: King of Shadows (2011)
LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu: Way of the Ninja (2011)
The Moth Diaries (2011)

August 31

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends: Seasons 1-3 (1981 series)

In case you missed it, coming in August:

August 1

Utopia: Season 1 (2013 series)

August 4

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (2015)

August 8

Doctor Who: Season 8 (2005 series) - I'll rewatch these

August 11

Two Days, One Night (2014) - Really good film.

August 27

White God (2014)

Leaving in August:

August 1

Unbreakable (2000) - Hope I can squeeze in time to watch this

August 23

Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011)

Not a whole lot...

Kaladin

I lol at them getting Utopia. That was such a shit reality show.

If you like a trainwreck, I guess the first few episodes are worth a look, but it gets boring quick.

Salsa

I lol at them getting Utopia. That was such a shit reality show.

If you like a trainwreck, I guess the first few episodes are worth a look, but it gets boring quick.

pretty it's Utopia the fantastic UK show that got killed too quickly (considering GK86 specifies 2013)

4244364.jpg

there's a US remake comin with David Fincher which will probably be good still (tho unnecessary), but the original show is great.

not sure why just Season 1 tho. There's 2 series

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Thank you. That and Wyrmwood are two horror flicks I really want to see.

I'm looking forward to it as well. With really low expectations. Last horror movie gaf hyped up (babadook) turned out to be crap.

I don't know anything about It Follows. No plot, don't know what kind of horror it is, not even who is it in. Going in blind.

Symphonia

Banned
I don't know anything about It Follows. No plot, don't know what kind of horror it is, not even who is it in. Going in blind.
Fresh, but comes highly recommend from a friend who saw it at a festival. I basically know nothing about it, I just trust her opinion on films.
I don't want to ruin it for either of you, but going in with little to no expectations whatsoever will at least save you from being disappointed. I think I fell for what GK mentioned - the usual GAF hype. I went in expecting an amazing horror film, and left with the overall impression it was 'alright' at best. Still, that's just my personal opinion. You might enjoy it.

I'm yet to watch Babadook though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Almost Mercy (Crime, Drama)
Donde Esta Elisa Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
Of Girls and Horses (Drama, Gay & Lesbian, Foreign)
Staten Island Summer (Comedy)
Still (Indie, Crime, Drama)

France:

Orphan Black Season 3 (TV, Drama, SciFi)
Staten Island Summer (Comedy)

Germany:

Grimm Season 3 (TV, Crime, Fantasy)
Hannibal Season 1-2 (TV, Drama)

I liked the Babadook a lot but most people i know/follow who have seen both liked It Follows more than The Babadook, so maybe see for yourself.
I think i liked The Babadook more tbh

tried to watch wet hot american summer the movie, horrible ... hope the show is better

I doubt the show is gonna be much different

What are some of the best documentaries I can listen to/watch while working?

Frontline type stuff I guess (not stuff like errol morris who you have to be actively participating in to enjoy)

Top Bottom