• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Kaladin

pretty it's Utopia the fantastic UK show that got killed too quickly (considering GK86 specifies 2013)

4244364.jpg

there's a US remake comin with David Fincher which will probably be good still (tho unnecessary), but the original show is great.

not sure why just Season 1 tho. There's 2 series

Yeah, wrong Utopia show, the other one is really great.

In that case, it makes more sense. I forgot what year the other one came out.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

The New Black (Documentary, Social)
The Skeleton Twins (Drama, Comedy)
Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp Season 1 (TV, Comedy)

UK:

Aladdin and the King of Thieves (Family)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just finished rectify s1. Thanks for whomever suggested it. I've never even heard of the show before this week. Does the show hold up in subsequent seasons? Seems easier to keep moving along with short seasons. Wonder if sega or Sony got any product placement money :)

Also watched Comet. Initially for Emmy rossum heh but the leads had decent chemistry. its one of those relationship dramas where you bounce around and you kind of have to peace together the timeline. But with the added fantastical element of parallel universes throwing a further loop into things. Thought it was well shot to. Worth watching if you like the relationship stuff.

Karu

Just finished rectify s1. Thanks for whomever suggested it. I've never even heard of the show before this week. Does the show hold up in subsequent seasons? Seems easier to keep moving along with short seasons. Wonder if sega or Sony got any product placement money :)

Also watched Comet. Initially for Emmy rossum heh but the leads had decent chemistry. its one of those relationship dramas where you bounce around and you kind of have to peace together the timeline. But with the added fantastical element of parallel universes throwing a further loop into things. Thought it was well shot to. Worth watching if you like the relationship stuff.
I think Season 2 looses a bit (and I wanna stretch the "a BIT" ;-)) of the compressed magic of S1, it has 10 episodes, but we're talking about going from 10/10 to 9,5/10. Season 3 currently on, doesn't seem to dip in quality, quite the opposite.

Jakabok

HcqBWGD.jpg

Stephen Poliakoff's 'Dancing on the Edge' went up on US Netflx today. I implore everyone to watch it - an amazing mystery miniseries with a stellar cast (led by Chiwetel Ejoifor and Matthew Goode) centering around a jazz band in 1930's London.

Also watch out for Doctor Who's Jenna Coleman in a small role, looking fiiine. Also John Goodman!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
HcqBWGD.jpg

Stephen Poliakoff's 'Dancing on the Edge' went up on US Netflx today. I implore everyone to watch it - an amazing mystery miniseries with a stellar cast (led by Chiwetel Ejoifor and Matthew Goode) centering around a jazz band in 1930's London.

Also watch out for Doctor Who's Jenna Coleman in a small role, looking fiiine. Also John Goodman!

Nice! I've been wanting to watch that.

Really enjoyed WHAS: First day of camp.

Also watched Staten Island Summer which was OK. I'm a sucker for any American coming of age/teen party type films and did enjoy it but it wasn't anything special.
In terms of recent pool/waterpark based coming of age films its maybe as good as The To-do List but not close to The Way, Way Back.

While I'm on the topic any recommendations of other films in that kind of genre would be recommended.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Day Without Cancer (Documentary, Social)
A Gift Horse (Family)
A Path Appears (TV, Documentary)
All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 (Family)
Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein (Family)
Antarctic Edge: 70 South (Documentary, Nature)
Asylum (Thriller)
August (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
Batman & Robin (Action)
Beneath the Helmet (Documentary)
Benny and Joon (Romantic, Drama)
Bigfoot's Reflection (Documentary, Social)
Blue Crush (Drama)
Bride and Prejudice (Bollywood, Romantic)
Can't Buy Me Love (Romantic, Comedy)
Casting By (Documentary, Biographical)
Conspiracy Theory (Action, Thriller)
Dancing on the Edge Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood Season 2 (TV, Kids)
Daylight (Action, Thriller)
De Que te Quiero, Te Quiero Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
Dear Frankie (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
Dogs on the Inside (Documentary)
Eat with Me (Comedy, Gay & Lesbian)
El Chavo (TV, Comedy, Foreign)
El payaso Plim Plim: Un héroe del corazón (TV, Kids, Foreign)
Electric Slide (Indie, Thriller)
Elizabethtown (Romantic, Comedy)
Enemy at the Gates (Thriller, War)
Fair Chase (Documentary, Sports)
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (Anime)
FETCH! with Ruff Ruffman Season 4 (TV, Kids)
Fletch (Comedy)
Flex is Kings (Documentary, Social)
Flight World War II (Action)
Good Morning, Killer (Thriller)
Gunfight at La Mesa (Action, Thriller)
Happy Endings (Indie, Dram, Gay & Lesbian)
Hasta Que el Dinero nos Separe Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
How to Sell a Banksy (Documentary)
Josef Fritzl: Story of a Monster (Documentary, Biographical)
Katy Perry: Part of Me (Documentary, Musical)
La Fea más Bella Season 1 (TV, Comedy, Foreign)
La Suegra Season 1 (TV, Comedy, Foreign)
Las magicas canciones de Plim Plim Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
Lassie (Family)
Lunch Monkey Season 1-2 (TV, Comedy)
Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. Season 2 (TV, Kids)
Marvin's Room (Drama)
Masha and the Bear Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Mushi-Shi (Anime)
My Best Friend's Wedding (Romantic, Comedy)
Nutri Ventures Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Odd Squad Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Outcast (Action)
Painted Skin: The Resurrection (Action)
Pants on Fire (Family, Comedy)
Quills (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
Qué pobres tan ricos Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
Reading Rainbow Volume 1 (TV, Kids)
Red Data Girl (Anime)
Rosario Tijeras (TV, Drama, Foreign)
Russell Brand: End the Drugs War (Documentary, Political)
Silver Spoon Season 1 (Anime)
Small Time Gangster (TV< Drama)
Sorority Row (Horror)
Starship Troopers (Action, SciFi, Rico's Ruff Necks)
Stefan v/s Kramer (Comedy, Foreign)
Strictly Sexual (Indie, Romantic, Comedy)
Taking Lives (Thriller)
The Daughter of Dawn (Drama, Western)
The Delivery Man Season 1 (TV, Comedy)
The Doors (Drama)
The Hurt Locker (Action, Thriller)
The Living (Indie, Thriller)
The Man from Nowhere (Thriller, Foreign)
The Mind of a Chef Season 3 (TV, Documentary, Travel)
The Reef (Family)
The Royals Season 1 (TV, Documentary)
The Substitute (Thriller)
The Way (Indie, Drama)
Three Kings (Action, Thriller)
Top Secret! (Comedy)
Turbos FAST Season 2 (TV, Kids)
Undisputed (Action, Drama)
UnDivided (Documentary, Social)
Vehicle 19 (Action, Thriller)
Vexed Season 1-2 (TV, Drama, Comedy)
Volverte a Ver (Indie, Romantic, Drama, Foreign)
Von Ryan's Express (Action)
War (Action, Thriller)
Wing Commander (Action, SciFi)
WordWorld Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Zhì qu weihu shan (Action, Foreign)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I have intentionally gone nearly twenty years without ever seeing Batman & Robin, yet, I just decided to put it on because I have nothing better to do.

Batman just put a frozen Robin in a pool of water and heated it up with a laser to melt the ice.

Why.

Xater

I have intentionally gone nearly twenty years without ever seeing Batman & Robin, yet, I just decided to put it on because I have nothing better to do.

Batman just put a frozen Robin in a pool of water and heated it up with a laser to melt the ice.

Why.

I genuinely feel sorry for you. That film can scar you.

LaNaranja

Just finished watching The Hurt Locker. I hadn't seen it since it came out. I have actually seen almost every 2010 best picture nominee and I have to say I agree with this choice. Anthony Mackie and Jeremy Renner are great as the leads and I love the overall flow of the movie. It never drags at any point.

Added today:

Quills (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
This is really good and Geoffrey Rush is amazing in it. Chef recommends!

Why.
What? You have an easier way to access warm water?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Canada:

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Horror, Supernatural)
All the Right Moves (Drama, Sports)
Birdman or the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
Camp X-Ray (Documentary, Social)
Curse of the Golden Flower (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Dogs on the Inside (Documentary, Social)
Eat with Me (Comedy, Gay & Lesbian)
Fate/star night: Unlimited Blade Works (Anime)
Girl on a Bicycle (Indie, Romantic, Comedy)
House of Flying Daggers (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
How Stella Got Her Groove Back (Romantic, Drama)
My Little Pony Season 5 (TV, Kids)
Silver Spoon (Anime)
The Baker (Comedy)
Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit (Family)

UK:

Gotham Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Josef Fritzl: Story of a Monster (Drama)
Kids for Cash (Documentary, Social)
Son of God (Drama, Faith)
The Grandmaster (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
The Internet's Own Boy (Documentary, Biographical)
The Kill Team (Documentary, War)

Germany:

Bolt (Family)
The Black Cauldron (Family)
The Greatest Game Ever Played (Drama, Sports)

Australia:

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (Anime)
Kids on the Slope (Anime)
School for Scoundrels (Comedy)
Space Jam (Family)

Kingbrave

Dear Netflix, when you suggest that I watch a series over and I click on it can you please just start from the beginning of each episode? Is that to much to ask? I'm lazy damn it and don't want to move my mouse!! I'm entitled!

Wow, I missed the previous long post with the new additions, but looking back at it now I'm very glad Mushi-shi is back. I know there aren't a whole lot of anime watchers in this thread, but it is damn good and got removed from Netflix.

Nyx

So did Gotham improve through the season? I really wanted to like it but after 3 or 4 episodes I gave up. Tempted to binge through it now though.

I watched the pilot but was very underwhelmed..

Tried the pilot of Friday Night Lights afterwards and that was a lot better, think I'll go binge that now.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So did Gotham improve through the season? I really wanted to like it but after 3 or 4 episodes I gave up. Tempted to binge through it now though.

Meh. It had some decent procedural episodes but I can't say I'm interested in coming back for Season 2. I would say the pilot is a pretty good indicator of the quality of the show. It is never subtle, and the second half of the season has quite a few extraneous plotlines. You can tell the writers were thinking "Well we have to give them something to do..."

Jay Jay

Neo Member
Daredevil was simply outstanding, near flawless - best thing Marvel have ever done in the MCU.

The casting, writing, pacing was spot on. Can't wait for Season 2.

Daredevil was simply outstanding, near flawless - best thing Marvel have ever done in the MCU.

My city. My city. My city.

Great beginning. Drops in quality right after Episode 3. I hope they keep the quality high for Jessica Jones.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

The best thing it had going for it was a bad guy you could root for. You understood why he did what he did. MCU bad guys, in general, seem to be "I need to do this in order for the plot to move forward".

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I liked Daredevil a lot, and I generally have no interest in any of the comic-based TV series. I was stunned by how good the action and fight scenes were – better than most comparable movies.

Surprisingly, though, I didn't really care for D'Onofrio in that role, and I generally like the guy. He seemed like he was overacting quite often.

Stackboy

Finished the first season of Bloodline last night. That was some magnificent television. Second season of Bojack Horseman was great too! That second last episode was soul crushing.

Salsa

I was bored and started watchin don't trust the bitch in apartment 23

I like it enough. but Krysten Ritter is too hot and it is painful

Watched the movie version of the Beverly Hillbillies last night. I remember seeing it one time when I was a child and this rewatch revealed it was mainly ass. I was hoping it would hold up like the other sitcom movies in the 90s: Addams Family Values, both Brady Bunch movies, and The Flintstones.

It wasn't entirely ass however. I did get a couple of snickers out a hillbilly girl putting a bear in a leg lock.

Watched the movie version of the Beverly Hillbillies last night. I remember seeing it one time when I was a child and this rewatch revealed it was mainly ass. I was hoping it would hold up like the other sitcom movies in the 90s: Addams Family Values, both Brady Bunch movies, and The Flintstones.

It wasn't entirely ass however. I did get a couple of snickers out a hillbilly girl putting a bear in a leg lock.

Yeah, it has a few great moments in it, but it didn't hold up as well as I expected.

But Addams Family Values is so damn great. Time for the Harmony Hut!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Binged s2 of rectify. Where the hell did this show come from and how come I had never heard about it until recently?!

One of the best shows I've watched in awhile. S1 is only 6 episodes long so not a lot of time investment to see if you want to carry on with the show. S2 is 10 eps.

S3 just started a few weeks ago and S4 already got greenlight...how?! No one is watching it! lol I wish other shows could just get picked up because of how great they are.

Nyx

Yep, Friday Night Lights is a damn fine series!
It's full of sports movie cliches but still I like it a lot so far. (7 EPs in)

Also, Connie Britton! <3

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Chronic-Con Episode 420: A New Dope (Documentary, Cultural)
Inner Demons (Horror, Supernatural)
Mushi-Shi (Anime)
Windtalkers (Drama, War)

Canada:

Strange Blood (Horror)
The Living (Indie, Film-Noir)
The Yellow Eyes of the Crocodiles (Drama)

France:

Teen Wolf Season 4 (TV, Drama)

Germany:

Defiance Season 2 (TV, Drama, SciFi)
McCullin (Documentary, Biographical)
White Collar Season 5-6 (TV, Drama)

Australia:

Btooom (Anime)
I Dream of Wires (Documentary, Music)
Monster's Ball (Indie, Drama)
My Sister's Keeper (Drama)
Spawn: The Movie (Action)