• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

El Topo

I decided to watch Staten Island Summer because it sounded a bit like Middle of Nowhere. I wish I could get my time back. It's not horrible, it's just incredibly boring, predictable, bland and unfunny.

Susurrus

Did Netflix get smart about VPN? When I try using several VPN services on my Android, it will pop up with the selection of the target country, but unless the video is also in Germany, it won't play saying "not available in your country (DE)". On my Win 10 PA it only shows Germany selection regardless of VPN. I have tried a few VPNs, PureVPN, Hola, and a few others.

Peaky Blinders is so freaking good. I remember skipping it because I thought it'd be a poor man's Boardwalk Empire. Boy was I wrong. Have 1 episode left in s1 and am
absolutely loving it. Great characters and lovely sets, and the story flows so damn well that the episodes are over before I know it.

Also, wasn't so keen on the score at first but it's really grown on me. Fun stuff.

Salsa

Wait what, just looked on Netflix and Gotham Season 1 is on UK Netflix... blimey that was quick.

I remember they bought that deal when the show was just announced, im not surprised

Peaky Blinders is so freaking good. I remember skipping it because I thought it'd be a poor man's Boardwalk Empire. Boy was I wrong. Have 1 episode left in s1 and am
absolutely loving it. Great characters and lovely sets, and the story flows so damn well that the episodes are over before I know it. This, Bloodline and Sense8 are my favorite netflix originals for sure.

Also, wasn't so keen on the score at first but it's really grown on me. Fun stuff.

It's not a Netflix original, they just distribute it overseas

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
absolutely loving it. Great characters and lovely sets, and the story flows so damn well that the episodes are over before I know it.

I still have to check this out. Going to try and get an episode in tomorrow.

RBH

Netflix finally has a launch date for Asia — it will launch in Japan on September 2, 2015.

Earlier this year, the video-streaming company revealed plans to enter Japan this coming fall, though a firm launch date had yet to materialize. Now, with a Netflix-branded Twitter account and landing page in tow, Netflix has confirmed the official launch date with VentureBeat and the countdown can begin.

Founded in 1997, Netflix began life in the U.S. as an online DVD-rental service, but the California-based company has moved with the times and is now one of the major global brands in the video-streaming realm. At the time of writing, Netflix is available in more than 50 markets, across the Americas (including Cuba) and large swaths of Europe. It’s also available in Australia and New Zealand, but has yet to make an appearance in Asia.

Flush with cash, Netflix has been placing greater focus on original content of late, and this has proven an effective differentiating strategy. Indeed, Kevin Spacey emerged triumphant at the Golden Globes this year for top actor (drama) for House of Cards — a Netflix production. The previous year, Netflix notched up seven Emmy awards, four more than the year before. And it also won its first Oscar for a documentary short.

However, to maximize the return on this investment, Netflix will need to push out into new markets.

Other upcoming launches include Italy, Portugal, Spain, and Iceland, which are expected to go live in the next couple of months, with the Czech Republic expected to follow in 2016. Netflix has previously revealed that it plans to be available globally, in more than 200 countries, by the end of 2016.

Meanwhile, Netflix has been bolstering subscription numbers in its existing markets too — last quarter it reported a rise of almost 1 million new subscribers in the U.S., and 2.4 million internationally. This took its total paying members to almost 66 million.
http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/04/netflix-to-launch-in-japan-its-first-asian-market-on-september-2/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Netflix announces paid maternity and paternity leave for up to one year:

At Netflix, we work hard to foster a “freedom and responsibility” culture that gives our employees context about our business and the freedom to make their own decisions along with the accompanying responsibility. With this in mind, today we’re introducing an unlimited leave policy for new moms and dads that allows them to take off as much time as they want during the first year after a child’s birth or adoption.

We want employees to have the flexibility and confidence to balance the needs of their growing families without worrying about work or finances. Parents can return part-time, full-time, or return and then go back out as needed. We’ll just keep paying them normally, eliminating the headache of switching to state or disability pay. Each employee gets to figure out what’s best for them and their family, and then works with their managers for coverage during their absences.

Netflix’s continued success hinges on us competing for and keeping the most talented individuals in their field. Experience shows people perform better at work when they’re not worrying about home. This new policy, combined with our unlimited time off, allows employees to be supported during the changes in their lives and return to work more focused and dedicated.
http://blog.netflix.com/2015/08/starting-now-at-netflix-unlimited.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Netflix share price reaches a new all-time high:

Netflix hit a new all-time high during intra-day trading on Tuesday, hitting $122.78 and eventually closing at $121.00 per share, up 7.5 percent on the day.

The video streaming service has seen its shares rise 143 percent so far in 2015. A stock split, Icahn cashing out, and and encouraging earnings reports have spurred investor’s attention in the company, as has its recently announced entry into Asian markets.

Speaking of Icahn, the activist investor has missed out on hundreds of million of dollars in profit by selling early. The day he announced that he had liquidated the remainder of his Netflix holding, the stock was trading at about $96 dollars, adjusted for the recent 7-1 split. Today the stock closed at $121, representing a missed return of an additional 26 percent.
http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/04/ne...ws-of-new-price-target-and-japan-launch-date/

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Netflix orders new series called 3%.

Netflix has ordered a new original series called 3%, a bleak, discomfiting look at a future where the great majority of people will never have a taste of the good life. Produced by Brazilian studio Boutique Filmes and directed by Cesar Charlone (City of God), the series will become the streaming service's first piece of original programming produced entirely in Brazil. The idea for 3% has been kicking around for a while: a pilot was posted to YouTube in three parts back in 2011, albeit with a different director behind the camera. In the show's world, everyone is given one chance to vault themselves from extreme civil disarray into decadence — but only 3 percent of applicants manage to succeed. The series is set to film in early 2016, and it'll premiere on Netflix later that year.

Serienjunkies.de (German Review site about series) watched the first 2 episodes.

They only have one negative point: And that is that 70% of the series is in spanish so you we have to read 70% of the time if you cant speak spanish.

Overall here is a quick overview about what they talked:
-Spoilers for episode 1 and 2
-Visually its top notch and could beat most blockbuster movies
-All actors are great, Wagner Moura as Escobar is the best
-Mediocre starting episode(It is filled with alot of stuff to intruduce so it feels packed), great second episode
-Less Handholding (Show dont tell i think?)
-It wont be easy for Narcos because its something special and tries some things different
-The setting feels newish and original
-Feels really authentic

Well im hyped.

Alright, The Guest was awesome. Just a great slice of 80s Carpenter goodness. It isn't anything amazing, but damn was it fun. The less you know the better.

And man, what a great soundtrack. That was definitely giving strong Carpenter vibes.

Good Carpenter flicks have social commentary. Intelligence. Some semblance of plausibility in the motivations of the characters. This has none of that.

This movie... man, this fucking movie. I've seen plenty of crappy movies, but never before have I seen a movie this bad that's been reviewed well and appreciated like it's actually good.

The foundation of the pyramid of stupidity in this film are the parents. Without them being two of the dumbest people in film history, the stupid plot doesn't happen. You have to have Transformers levels of 'leave your brain at the door' to even begin to enjoy this movie.

Every moment has the plausibility on the level of a CW drama crossed with a monster girl harem anime show, with a script that seems to be written by a space alien that is trying to make a movie about humans, but doesn't really understand humanity.

The last third of the movie must be seen to be believed, especially the final act in the high school Halloween dance (that also happens to be a professionally built haunted house). There is a line delivered right when they enter the haunted house... ok, so this is where my girlfriend starts to research what the fuck this movie is supposed to be. Apparently it was intended to be funny. I never once throughout the movie got the sense that it was trying to be funny, but I can kind of see it a little bit now. It's not really funny, though, just idiotic. The humor in this film is like if the writer handed the script to Scott Walker to inject some humor into it.

It's easy to riff on, so it can be fun to watch for that.

obin_gam

Serienjunkies.de (German Review site about series) watched the first 2 episodes.

They only have one negative point: And that is that 70% of the series is in spanish so you we have to read 70% of the time if you cant speak spanish.

Overall here is a quick overview about what they talked:
-Spoilers for episode 1 and 2
-Visually its top notch and could beat most blockbuster movies
-All actors are great, Wagner Moura as Escobar is the best
-Mediocre starting episode(It is filled with alot of stuff to intruduce so it feels packed), great second episode
-Less Handholding (Show dont tell i think?)
-It wont be easy for Narcos because its something special and tries some things different
-The setting feels newish and original
-Feels really authentic

Well im hyped.

How is that a negative point? Lazy illiterates...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hope the Japanese Netflix has a decent amount of local content, and isn't just American stuff with subs. Already have a netflix account but would definitely set my wife's laptop up with a proxy if they have J-Dramas etc.

hope the Japanese Netflix has a decent amount of local content, and isn't just American stuff with subs. Already have a netflix account but would definitely set my wife's laptop up with a proxy if they have J-Dramas etc.

I wonder if it has english subtitles. That is the biggest question.

tomtom94

Okay, minor bugbear, you know those notifications that tell you something you like's just been added? How do you make them go away? I keep getting one telling me Knights of Sidonia S2 is up, and assume it's going to be something different. I've tried clicking on it, I've tried watching part of S2....

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Going through Wet Hot American Summer: FDoC. Really good. They captured the humor of the movie really well.

Netflix has 2 original shows produced by Fuji TV lined up for Japan launch. They also said they'll have some Japanese movies and local content, but it seems like most production companies are taking a wait-and-see approach.

But already Japanese companies are countering Netflix with the Japan Contents Group, which has 29 companies aboard including Toho and Toei to launch their own streaming service.

amrod

Netflix has 2 original shows produced by Fuji TV lined up for Japan launch. They also said they'll have some Japanese movies and local content, but it seems like most production companies are taking a wait-and-see approach.

But already Japanese companies are countering Netflix with the Japan Contents Group, which has 29 companies aboard including Toho and Toei to launch their own streaming service.

Hope they all have English subs

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Club de Cuervos Season 1 (TV, Comedy, Netflix Original)
Hit Record on TV with Joseph Gordon-Levitt Season 1 (TV, Comedy, Sketch)
Human Capital (Drama, Foreign)
I Am. Shimon Peres (Documentary, Biographical)
InuYasha (Anime)
Moviation 2: The Chris Cole Story (Documentary, Biographical)
November Rule (Romantic, Comedy)
Persona 3 The Move: #2 Midsummer Knight's Dream (Anime)
Shanghai Noon (Action, Comedy)
Sobre Ella (Romantic, Drama, Foreign)
The Royals Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Social)
The Skeleton Twins (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
Tiger Orange (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
Transporter: The Series Season 2 (TV, Action)
Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (Action, Zombie)

Canada:

Birdman (Indie, Drama)

Skeleton Twins was kinda not my jam. I usually really like indie films but couldn't get into it despite really liking the two leads (Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader).

vpance

Loving Wentworth so far, just finished the first two seasons.

Some things happen a bit too conveniently to move the plot forward and create conflict, but it's still a fun watch.

Added today:

Club de Cuervos Season 1 (TV, Comedy, Netflix Original)
Hit Record on TV with Joseph Gordon-Levitt Season 1 (TV, Comedy, Sketch)
Human Capital (Drama, Foreign)
I Am. Shimon Peres (Documentary, Biographical)
InuYasha (Anime)
Moviation 2: The Chris Cole Story (Documentary, Biographical)
November Rule (Romantic, Comedy)
Persona 3 The Move: #2 Midsummer Knight's Dream (Anime)
Shanghai Noon (Action, Comedy)
Sobre Ella (Romantic, Drama, Foreign)
The Royals Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Social)
The Skeleton Twins (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
Tiger Orange (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
Transporter: The Series Season 2 (TV, Action)
Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (Action, Zombie)

Canada:

Birdman (Indie, Drama)

Don't forget Doctor Who: Season 8 :)

tumblr_ndizufuVkW1rkgihao4_500.gif

lordxar

Currently f5ing flixsearch for It Follows. C'mon Netflix Australia.

Bought the bluray yesterday lol. Just said the hell with waiting, really want to see it. US probably wouldn't get it for a year if I waited but now that I own it...I'm betting it comes Tuesday :) Bout to pop it in.

Cade

Bought the bluray yesterday lol. Just said the hell with waiting, really want to see it. US probably wouldn't get it for a year if I waited but now that I own it...I'm betting it comes Tuesday :) Bout to pop it in.

Yeah, it must've been delayed since it was scheduled for the 7th. I wonder what's up.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Path Appears (TV, Documentary, Social)
Doctor Who Season 8 (TV, SciFi)
I Don't Know Whether to Slit My Wrists (Drama, Comedy, Foreign)
Kill Me Three Times (Dark Comedy, Film Noir)
Mi Mejor Regalo (Drama, Comedy, Foreign)
Obedencia Perfecta (Drama, Foreign)
Pelican Dreams (Documentary, Social)
Preludio (Indie, Drama, Foreign)
Scaredy Squirrel Season 1 (TV, Kids)
The Look of Love (Indie, Drama)
The Substitute (Action, Thriller)
Welcome to Me (Dark Comedy)
White Earth (Documentary, Cultural)

Canada:

A Most Violent Year (Thriller)
The Rewrite (Romantic, Comedy)

UK:

A Goofy Movie (Family)

Germany:

The Originals Season 1 (TV, Drama)

Mexico:

Life as We Know It (Romantic, Comedy)

chrislowe

is it worth upgrading to 4K netflix ? how is the quality cause ive read about pretty low bitrates, and what movies is 4k-must then?

lordxar

sorry, yes I have a samsung 4k curved tv.
and 250Mbit internet connected to it.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but you still need a device that supports it and I know how stupid that sounds. I have a Vizio 4k myself but from what I gather in what little research I've done, the device needs a compliant app. Chromecasts don't work and the Vizio app didn't work a couple months ago but I've not tried since. Your supposed to see a 4k logo or something on the movie but I didn't get it on my TV app. What I read was that a PC connected would work but that's not an option for me. The next issue is that there's a limited selection, like a half dozen things that actually are 4k and you probably won't like any of it. If memory serves it was all something lame. Might try updating my TV app today and see if any of that's changed.

It Follows wasn't bad. I can see why its as divisive as the Babadook. Overall it was a cool story but not the amazing experience that the Ring was.

chrislowe

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but you still need a device that supports it and I know how stupid that sounds. I have a Vizio 4k myself but from what I gather in what little research I've done, the device needs a compliant app. Chromecasts don't work and the Vizio app didn't work a couple months ago but I've not tried since. Your supposed to see a 4k logo or something on the movie but I didn't get it on my TV app. What I read was that a PC connected would work but that's not an option for me. The next issue is that there's a limited selection, like a half dozen things that actually are 4k and you probably won't like any of it. If memory serves it was all something lame. Might try updating my TV app today and see if any of that's changed.

It Follows wasn't bad. I can see why its as divisive as the Babadook. Overall it was a cool story but not the amazing experience that the Ring was.

I Can watch youtube 4k content, so I guess netflix will let me watch in 4k aswell?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Top Bottom