• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Josh5890

I finished season one of House of Cards yesterday. The show is really interesting to say the least. It is fun going back and forth between The West Wing and House of Cards

Akahige

Anybody have recommendations for Horror movies to watch on US netflix? I've already watched The Babadook, The original Night of the Living Dead, and one about a snowy mountain in Russia.
Ravenous is a fantastic movie, always thought of it more of it as more of a black comedy though but the horror elements are definitely there, the score is also out of this world good.

The Others I remember enjoying a lot but haven't gotten around to re-watching in years.

Shame that the two [REC] films on US Netflix are the one's considered the worst of the series, the first one is a must see horror film imo.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Demolition Man (Sweden): First time watching this. Amazing. Popcorn film at its finest. It is stupid fun. The action scenes are what you expect from an 80's movie (edit- 1993 is the new 80's).

Snipes was really over-the-top with his character. Sandra was great. Dennis Leary's appearance in the film was worth it for his monologue when him and Stallone are underground.

So many great things about this movie, so little time.

Demolition Man (Sweden): First time watching this. Amazing. Popcorn film at its finest. It is stupid fun. The action scenes are what you expect from an 80's movie.

Snipes was really over-the-top with his character. Sandra was great. Dennis Leary's appearance in the film was worth it for his monologue when him and Stallone are underground.

So many great things about this movie, so little time.

But it was the 90s.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I remember when a lot of movies came out just from remembering where I was living at the time. I moved a lot while growing up and remember seeing this in theaters when in high school. It was so much fun.

I remember a lot of these 80's/early 90's action movies from my dad. Used to always watch them. Demolition Man was one of his favorite. Would always rent it (what would seem like) once a month.

I can see why he, or anyone, would enjoy them. I think my favorite part of the movie was them repeating the phrase, Murder Death Kill.

I think I will watch Rambo next. I'm pretty sure I never watched it, besides maybe bits and pieces. I know I never watched the sequels.

Just rewatched Scorsese/Shrader/De Niro's Taxi Driver for the second time. How the heck did I miss the first time that this is one of the best films I have ever seen :/

And that soundtrack ... sooo good.

El Topo

Don't think we have a thread yet, but Netflix has announced (starting today) a price rise for Europe for the HD subscription by 1€ (or ~10%), the rest stays the same. New price starting today €7.99/€9.99/€11.99, current subscribers keep the old price for a year. There seems to be a similar rise for Switzerland, I think UK had a slight rise earlier this year.

Don't think we have a thread yet, but Netflix has announced (starting today) a price rise for Europe for the HD subscription by 1€ (or ~10%), the rest stays the same. New price starting today €7.99/€9.99/€11.99, current subscribers keep the old price for a year. There seems to be a similar rise for Switzerland, I think UK had a slight rise earlier this year.
Considering the amount of content I'm getting out of it I really don't mind paying 1€ more.

Wag

All 8 seasons of Doctor Who (2005) are back! Enjoy!!! 😀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Ejecta (Indie, SciFi, Thriller)
Hot Wheels: The Skills to Thrill (Kids)
La Sapienza (Indie, Drama, Foreign)
Lord of War (Action, Thriller)
Next (Thriller, SciFi)
Real Husbands of Hollywood Season 3 (TV, Comedy)

Cade

Next is very bad good or it was when I watched it years ago. Due for a rewatch. Lord of War is supposed to be actually good, though, right?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Netflix is pumping £100 million into "The Crown." 60 episodes/6 seasons show about the Queen Elizabeth II.

X8nYrea.jpg

w3eg1ha.jpg

Salsa

good lord they're settin it up for 6 seasons right away?

no real interest in the material but all Netflix originals have been good so far

Symphonia

Banned
I thought I could before I saw Left Behind 2014, which is insanely bad-bad.
Left Behind is awful. I usually don't mind Cage films, but Left Behind rubbed me up the wrong way. To think I spent money renting that shit.

I think the only movie I didn't really enjoy was Knowing. I never seen the whole thing, but if I remember correctly, I found it boring. Turned it off halfway.
I went on a cinema date to see Knowing. It was a great concept for a film right up until the whole new-gen Adam/Eve shit.

I tried watching "They Came Together" tonight because it is from the Wet Hot American Summer people, and I could only get about 15-20 minutes in. It just wasn't clicking at all for me despite a few chuckles.

One I did watch tonight and thought was wonderful was "In a World." I really want to see Lake Bell write and direct more stuff now. Just a great, funny, and touching film.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I tried watching "They Came Together" tonight because it is from the Wet Hot American Summer people, and I could only get about 15-20 minutes in. It just wasn't clicking at all for me despite a few chuckles.

One I did watch tonight and thought was wonderful was "In a World." I really want to see Lake Bell write and direct more stuff now. Just a great, funny, and touching film.

They Came Together is an odd film. It's something that would work better as a recurring SNL sketch as opposed to a complete film. The best parts for me were the framing device of them telling the story over dinner, Bill Hader nailed every moment there.

In a World is a recent favorite of mine too. It's an industry you never see handled in films, so it was great to watch.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Air Disasters Season 1-2 (TV, Documentary)
Behind the Yellow Line (Romantic, Comedy, Foreign)
Being Mary Jane: The Series Season 2 (TV, Drama)
Bernard Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Cross (Thriller, Foreign)
Day of the Kamikaze (TV, Documentary, Historical)
Disciples of the 36th Chamber (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Executioners From Shaolin (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Five Shaolin Masters (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Grantham & Rose (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
Helicopter Missions: Vietnam Firefight (TV, Documentary, Historical)
Heroes of the Easy (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Hindenburg: The Untold Story (TV, Documentary, Historical)
History in HD: Shooting Iwo Jima (TV, Documentary, Historical)
History in HD: The Last Bomb (TV, Documentary, Historical)
Jauja (Action, Foreign)
Justice, My Foot (Comedy, Foreign)
Mission to Murder Hitler (TV, Documentary, Historical)
Mystery Files: Hitler (TV, Documentary, Historical)
Mystery Files: Leonardo da Vinci (TV, Documentary, Historical)
Nazi Temple of Doom (TV, Documentary, Historical)
Secrets: A Viking Map (TV, Documentary, Historical)
Secrets: Richard III Revealed (TV, Documentary, Historical)
Shuttle Discovery's Last Mission (TV, Documentary, Historical)
NCIS Season 12 (TV, Drama, Crime)
The Hunt for Bin Laden (TV, Documentary)
The Incredible Bionic Man (TV, Documentary, Science)
The Kid with the Golden Arm (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Titanic's Final Mystery (TV, Documentary, Historical)
Transcend (Documentary, Sports)
World War II: Final Days (TV, Documentary, Historical)

Canada:

Ballet 422 (Documentary, Cultural)
Dark Summer (Thriller, Horror)
How to Sell a Banksy (Documentary)
Wild Canaries (Romantic, Comedy)

UK:

Starman (Action, SciFi)
The Babadook (Horror)
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Action, Fantasy)
The Legend of Billie Jean (Action, Crime)
The Mountain Men (Action, Western)
The November Man (Action, Thriller)

France:

Apocalypse: Hitler Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Foreign)
Atlantis Season (TV, Drama)
Eve of Destruction Season 1 (TV, Action, SciFi)
Lego: Elves (Kids)
Lego: Friends Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Life Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Nature)
The One I Love (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
The Daltons Season 1 (TV, Kids)
The Town (Thriller)

Germany:

Californication Season 1-7 (TV, Comedy, Drama)
Charlie Countryman (Indie, Romantic, Drama)
Fire with Fire (Thriller)
Joe (Indie, Drama, Crime)
Kill Your Darlings (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
Lawless (Drama, Crime)

Australia:

Cliffhanger (Action, Thriller)
Happy Feet Two (Family)
If I Stay (Drama)
Machine Gun Preacher (Action, Thriller)
Sex and the City: The Movie (Comedy)
Sex and the City 2 (Comedy)
Ship of Theseus (Indie, Drama, Foreign)
The Code Season 1 (TV, Documentary)

Mexico:

Gotham Season 1 (TV, Action)
The Cup (Drama, Sports)

Netherlands:

Captain Phillips (Drama, I'm Your Region Now)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Reviews of Narcos:

Hollywood Reporter.

The world doesn’t seem to lack for Pablo Escobar biopics, so it should come as no surprise that Netflix also gets in on the action with a 10-part series called Narcos, which separates itself from the pack with an impressive breadth and depth.

In many ways, this series could end up being the critically-acclaimed international breakthrough for the streaming site that Marco Polo wasn’t (though it got a second season), partly because the writing, acting and directing are superior and it has a grittier and more grounded feel to it.

Those factors are essential, since there have been so many movies about the Colombian drug kingpin already and the series is coming into a very crowded drama landscape. What Narcos has going for it is that Escobar’s story is, on so many levels, so stunning and strange, that the drama doesn’t have to be truncated or rushed, and can cover far more than just his rise and fall. In fact, Narcos is rumored to be well on its way to second-season renewal.

Variety.

Functioning as a history lesson as well as a compelling drama, “Narcos” has a “Goodfellas” vibe, inasmuch as it offers a heavily narrated, first-person account of the rise of drug kingpin Pablo Escobar, and the DEA’s attempts to thwart him. Detailing cocaine’s rise as a Colombian cash crop and its rapid spread into the U.S. in the late 1980s, the sparely told project weaves together a taut, gripping narrative, in stark contrast with the flatness of its characters and color scheme. All told, this Gaumont production is the kind of binge-worthy TV addiction that Netflix was born to import.

Top Bottom