• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Ayumi

Everyone needs to read this. My mind is blown.

so, seeing as you guys mentioned netflix, what japanese movies on netflix do you guys recommend? everything seems to have very low ratings for some reason

The stars they show is an indication of whether they think you'd like it or not, not a direct rating system based on what other people think of something:
http://www.ehow.com/info_8603060_do-red-stars-mean-netflix.html

----------

Edit:

Something interesting on Netflix JPN, is that on the website every title is in Latin alphabet (either translated or romaji), but on the PS3 app they show up translated or in kana/kanji.
The website is Japanese by default if your account is registered in Japan Netflix. You can change language in the settings. It might affect the PS3 app too, give it a try?

Aiii

So not worth it

I thought this was pretty well known. Maybe they removed the text that explained this recently, but AFAIK Netflix says something like "based on your interest we think you'd rate this movie # stars"

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I thought this was known, the only exception is on new accounts/profiles with 0 views and 0 ratings IIRC.

The website is Japanese by default if your account is registered in Japan Netflix. You can change language in the settings. It might affect the PS3 app too, give it a try?
Yeah sorry, should've clarified that I was using an US-based account because that's why I found it strange that it was like that on PS3 but not on PC. I'm guessing that this might be growing pains of being the first region that doesn't use a Latin-based alphabet.
Will try that later just for fun :p

Ayumi

I thought this was pretty well known. Maybe they removed the text that explained this recently, but AFAIK Netflix says something like "based on your interest we think you'd rate this movie # stars"

I thought this was known, the only exception is on new accounts/profiles with 0 views and 0 ratings IIRC.
Oh, no, it seems like a big amount of people did not know. Personally I never bothered to read the text except the movie titles and genre, so I had no chance at noticing. :3

Finished S1 and first ep of S2 of Burn Notice. I like it, but I don't love it. Pretty formulaic with the job of the week kind of thing going on.

Does it get better or is this pretty much what I should expect throughout?

it is a known thing for the earlier seasons of family guy on netflix to have iffy picture quality?
Haven't seen what Netflix is showing but those early seasons are brutal for image quality. You have to remember though that they started in 1999. Even when they air them on TBS it looks like stretched out full screen garbage.

lordxar

Finished S1 and first ep of S2 of Burn Notice. I like it, but I don't love it. Pretty formulaic with the job of the week kind of thing going on.

I think that's pretty indicative but there is a story arc building in the background.

lordxar

Okay thanks. Yeah, the whole
working through who burned him
part. I might shelve it and start watching PoI instead.

It actually gets beyond that but what you see is what you get really as far as structure. I personally enjoyed it and the wife even got into it at some point. It also ended at a good time and pretty much wrapped things up. Fiona wasn't bad to look at and I'm a Bruce Campbell fan so it worked out :)

That said, I didn't really get into my first viewing either. I watched S1 because my dad bought it for me but took another year or two to come back and plow through.

It actually gets beyond that but what you see is what you get really as far as structure. I personally enjoyed it and the wife even got into it at some point. It also ended at a good time and pretty much wrapped things up. Fiona wasn't bad to look at and I'm a Bruce Campbell fan so it worked out :)

That said, I didn't really get into my first viewing either. I watched S1 because my dad bought it for me but took another year or two to come back and plow through.

Cool, thanks for this. I'll likely finish watching it at some point. I do like it. But it just wasn't like "omg amazeballs I gotta keep watching!" and I wondered whether it gets to that point. Sounds like pretty standard USA Network fare.

Cool, thanks for this. I'll likely finish watching it at some point. I do like it. But it just wasn't like "omg amazeballs I gotta keep watching!" and I wondered whether it gets to that point. Sounds like pretty standard USA Network fare.

I don't get the popularity of those USA Network shows. Chuck, Burn Notice, Psych, Suits, Royal Pains and White Collar all kind of blend together and feel like the exact same show to me.

"Quirky handsome dude in a suit does things for 45 minutes!"

I don't get the popularity of those USA Network shows. Chuck, Burn Notice, Psych, Suits, Royal Pains and White Collar all kind of blend together and feel like the exact same show to me.

"Quirky handsome dude in a suit does things for 45 minutes!"

Chuck wasn't USA Network but I know what you mean.

Zero315

Banned
Oh shit, Dear White People was added today. I know what I'm watching tonight.

Yes! I've been wanting to see that!

Eww, Netflix on PS4 is doing this weird thing where the show or movie that you click on starts playing in the background.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Bad Night (Comedy)
Dear White People (Comedy)
El Callejon De Los Milagros (Drama, Foreign)
Pepito y la Lampara Maravillosa (Family, Foreign)
Ram Lakhan (Action, Bollywood)
Seashore (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
The A-List (Indie, Comedy)
The Dead Lands (Action, Thriller)
The Vampire's Coffin (Horror, Supernatural)

UK:

Time is Illmatic (Documentary, Music, Nas Won)
Up (Family)

Australia:

This is Where I Leave You (Drama, Comedy)

Mexico:

Enemy (Indie, Thriller)
Mirror Mirror (Family, Fantasy)
Mr. Nice (Drama)
Ninja Assassin (Action, Thriller)
The Evil Dead (Horror, Cult)
The Swan Princess (Family, Animation)

Gray Matter

Eww, Netflix on PS4 is doing this weird thing where the show or movie that you click on starts playing in the background.

I think it's (evil) genius, it might make you watch something that you might otherwise put aside and end up loving it, but of course I'm only looking at one side of the coin here.

hamchan

I think all updated Netflix apps are doing it now. I know my smart TV app is.

I think it's subtly very clever. I clicked on Star Trek TNG and was considering whether to watch an ep or not, and it just started on its own so I ended up watching it.

Saw Infini yesterday.
I thought it was pretty unique.

Watching The Last Days on Mars. I'm on a sci fi horror binge, but I think I tapped out instant queue. I'll have start digging through the DVDs.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think all updated Netflix apps are doing it now. I know my smart TV app is.

I think it's subtly very clever. I clicked on Star Trek TNG and was considering whether to watch an ep or not, and it just started on its own so I ended up watching it.

Yep, same thing has happened to me a couple times now. I browse more than I watch, so this gets me to watch more stuff.

TCRS

Banned
does anyone have a list of japanese movies with english subs on netflix japan?

I want to watch something but nothing looks interesting... I do love asian cinema, hopefully I'll find something.

Lupercal

Banned
I'm going to cancel my sub this week, the low quality of additions and amount has made me weary.

Yeah you give me narcos but that's it for september?
The cost isn't worth it anymore. Maybe in a few months.

I'm going to cancel my sub this week, the low quality of additions and amount has made me weary.

I always laugh at these kinds of comments. Netflix is $8 a month, or literally the price of a sandwich. Even if you watch 2 movies a month it's worth it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I always laugh at these kinds of comments. Netflix is $8 a month, or literally the price of a sandwich. Even if you watch 2 movies a month it's worth it.

Not only this, but you could get so much more for $2 (even free) a month extra for a DNS blocker. Get access to so much fucking more. It is insane the amount of content you could get for the $2 extra.

Sorry, but if you don't find value in adding $2, I feel bad for you.

sfedai0

Banned

I find it hard to believe you cant find anything interesting to watch at all. In any case, bye.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

It's so annoying. Wish you could turn it off. Looked everywhere and it's just plain annoying.

El Topo

Depending on where you live, there's enough competitors, some might be cheaper, maybe there's a free month trial so you can just go through the services. I think The Man In The High Castle is releasing in November, so that'd probably be a good time for someone to use the free month Prime. Maybe you have a TV (with a cable subscription), maybe you still have a DVR with recorded shows you want to catch up on. Heck, there's a ton of great stuff on the internet.

Why pay $8 if there's nothing you really want to watch? You want to compare the price of Netflix to the price of a sandwich? For $8 you could just buy a book, which yields plenty of entertainment. Looking over Amazon, you could probably get even several (older) e-books for Kindle. Two movies a month make it worth it? For eight bucks you could just rent two movies on iTunes or Amazon Instant Video. Missed Fury Road? $4 in SD, $5 in HD.

Let's just not use stupid sandwich comparisons, okay? Just because Netflix is $8 doesn't mean it's the be-all-end-all of entertainment.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Badults Season 1 (TV, Comedy)
Entertainment (Comedy, Foreign)
For the Emperor (Action, Foreign)
The Detectives Season 1 (TV, Crime, Documentary)

Canada:

The Lovers (Action)
The Pact 2 (Thriller, Supernatural)

UK:

All Things to All Men (Thriller, Crime)

France:

Twin Peaks Season 1-2 (TV, Drama)

Brazil:

Fire with Fire (Action, Thriller)
Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary, The Lost Canvas (Anime)
Serpico (Drama, Crime)
The Priest's Children (Comedy, Foreign)

Karu

Dunno how I missed it, but was finally able to get the unlock for countries other than the US done. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Whiplash, Birdman, Prisoners, X-Men & co. here I come! =) Netflix is the gift that keeps on giving. Money well spent.

Saw The Strangers First hour or so does a really good job, building tension. Not quite You're Next-level of awesome, but quite competent nonetheless. They somewhat botched the ending, though. It's not terrible, but it felt really anticlimatic and somewhat goofy. Would recommend The Strangers if you're fan of the genre. With the flood of horrible horrormovies on Netflix, this is one of the better ones.
3/5

Susurrus

I want to watch something but nothing looks interesting... I do love asian cinema, hopefully I'll find something.

I don't think there's any. So you'll have to do manual subtitle adding if you want to do the steps I posted recently on this thread (or another way if you know it
please share
) and the subtitles exist.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Dunno how I missed it, but was finally able to get the unlock for countries other than the US done. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Whiplash, Birdman, Prisoners, X-Men & co. here I come! =) Netflix is the gift that keeps on giving. Money well spent.

Saw The Strangers First hour or so does a really good job, building tension. Not quite You're Next-level of awesome, but quite competent nonetheless. They somewhat botched the ending, though. It's not terrible, but it felt really anticlimatic and somewhat goofy. Would recommend The Strangers if you're fan of the genre. With the flood of horrible horrormovies on Netflix, this is one of the better ones.
3/5

The selection of horror movies on the US Netflix isn't great. So definitely check out the other regions for horror movies.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

The job of the week is mostly constant throughout the series, mind that a lot of them are related to the season/series arc. Also worth mentioning is that it's one of the few shows where the "of the week" stuff is actually cool because of the very creative and interesting ways they deal with those.
Personally I love the series, so I'd say you should continue watching it :p

Try selecting Japan and searching by subtitle language in unogs

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (Japan): First time watching this. Really great movie. It has the perfect mix of action, adventure and comedy. Ford was masterfully as Indy. I can see why this movie/franchise is beloved by many.

Dear White People: I thought the movie did a great job, at not only pointing out and poking fun of relations between black people and white people, but also the struggles of being black within the black community.

The cast and their performances were outstanding. The comedy parts were funny. My main gripes with the film is that it is a tad bit on the long side and at times, it seems to lose it's focus. Overall, I enjoyed the movie.

Hotel Transylvania (Canada): Watched this with my little sister. We both enjoyed it. The story was predictable. You could see the ending coming from a mile away. The characters were fun. Recommend this even if you aren't going to watch with a little one.

I could use a good action adventure or space sci-fi rec. Movies along the line of Conan, Rambo, Sunshine, Event Horizon, Prometheus, etc

Top Bottom