• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
2001: A Space Odyssey (Japan): Gonna start off by saying I didn't know anything about this movie. Never seen anything on it outside of HAL and his famous line. After watching it, I still don't know what it is about.

Visually, it is stunning. The cinematography was well done. As was the musical score.

But, I thought this was boring. There are some interesting parts here and there. Mostly towards the end, but that is when it goes completely off the rails and lost me completely. I don't see the hype/praise for this film.

This is Where I Leave You (Sweden): Family drama with an incredible cast. Story you have seen a thousand times (about a dysfunctional family). Cliche in some ways, but I thought it was good. The ending (twist?) came out of nowhere and it seem to be there for the sake of being there.

Terrace House (Japan): This is a reality tv show that Netflix is producing for it's Japanese counterparts. The show is like Road Rules (and kinda like Big Brother with the hostess talking/recapping about what is happening). I decided to watch it out of curiosity. It was an interesting watch. The episodes are only 30 minutes, so it is a quick watch.

DarkFlow

Banned
Is Netflix ever going to fix Narcos not being in 4K? Shit is odd that it was there when it started, then just vanished a few days ago.

Xater

I know it's not Netflix, but I am pretty pumped for Man In the High Castle starting on Anazon November 20th. The pilot was fantastic.

Salsa

getting loads of these with VPNs lately

iLMoni8.png

they gotta be doing something

:/ :(

tim.mbp

UK/US netflix people I guess, what happened to foyles war? It seems to have vanished without a trace.

For US viewers, Acorn TV launched their own streaming service. Some stuff was pulled from other streaming sites and even PBS. Foyle's War being one of them, the final series hasn't aired on PBS yet, only through Acorn TV. Same thing happened with Poirot. They seem to slowly put shows/series back up on some streaming sites and/or TV syndication. There's 8 episodes of Foyle's War on Hulu.

Karu

My apologies if this is known already but I saw that Portlandia s5 is being added Sept 12th.
Have seen the first two episodes. While the first one had some great bits, the second dragged on. Will watch a few more to see if I wanna watch it in its entirety.

After being turned off from sketch comedy completely having to witness 15 years of horrific german sketch formats, Portlandia & especially Key & Peele are another dimension in terms of quality, though.

Watched a few more movies (mostly Canada)
X-Men: Days of the Future Past: Very entertaining film that wasn't as good as First Class, though. Too much in too little time. 4/5

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: Loved the first one, love the second one. Great movie with some amazing scenes. Recommended! 4/5

Obvious Child: I like Jenny Slate and she was perfect in her role as a woman who got pregnant after a one night stand. The movie charme and is one of those indies, but enjoyable, nonetheless. 4/5

Beautiful Girls: Great high school reunion-film of the 90s with a great cast. Symphatic, funny and emotional resonant. 4/5

Prisoners: Great performances. Not my favourite story to be told, but the direction is flawless. 4/5

Hoop Dreams: Ebert called it his favourite film of the 90s, and while i wouldn't go as far as agree, this documentation about two black kids dreaming of playing in the NBA after finishing school is very engaging (rather lenghty with 3hrs) and emotional. 4/5

Scream 2 [Rewatch]: Love the franchise and the second is another great entry. While the opening, but especially the finale are nothing compared to the classic original, it still offers some amazing scenes in the middle that burst with tension. Oh... and the soundtrack as awesome as ever. 5/5

Scream 3 [Rewatch]:
Should have remained a memory since with a few years between seeing Scream 3, it didn't really hold up. The writing is all over the place, the new characters forgettable and annoying. Buuuut... it's still a really entertaining slasher and well above many others in the genre. 3/5

The House of the Devil:
Not that memorable, but Ti West nailed the 70/80s atmosphere, which elevates the film as a whole. 3/5

The Sacrifice: A fascinating and interesting film that holds up even over it's 2,5 hours of runtime. The monologues/dialogues about religion, love, war and the word itself are engaging to a point where I'm glued to the television. Tarkovskys direction is quite something else, loved it. The last shots are mesmerizing. I don't agree with the central message of the movie (The Vatican called it one of the 50 best movies in the category religion, that shoudl give you a slight idea), but that doesn't stop The Sacrifice to be an amazing piece of art. 5/5
--- First movie seen of him, have only seen Nostalgia on Netflix, but definitely return to one of his movies in the future,

strafer

Scream 2 [Rewatch]: Love the franchise and the second is another great entry. While the opening, but especially the finale are nothing compared to the classic original, it still offers some amazing scenes in the middle that burst with tension. Oh... and the soundtrack as awesome as ever. 5/5

Scream 3 [Rewatch]: Should have remained a memory since with a few years between seeing Scream 3, it didn't really hold up. The writing is all over the place, the new characters forgettable and annoying. Buuuut... it's still a really entertaining slasher and well above many others in the genre. 3/5

Have you seen Scream 4? If not you should, it's excellent.

Xater

weirdly off topic, but I have no use for it residing in Germany. Anyone interested in a UK Ultraviolet Code for Jaws?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Why hasn't anyone told me of El Dorado... or as it's known here: Netflix Canada?!

Jeebus.

An Honest Liar is a really interesting documentary on the life of the Amazing Randi. It details how he spent his career as a magician and escape artist, but also dives into how he would expose cold readers and religious healers as hacks. Then it takes a sharp right turn into some pretty wild personal issues. Definitely worth a watch if you want a good doc.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Rambo (Canada): Lol this movie is ridiculous. In a good way. Good action too. The thing I love the most: Rambo barely says anything throughout the film and he finally gets a big monologue at the end and you can't understand shit he is saying lol.

Rambo (Canada): Lol this movie is ridiculous. In a good way. Good action too. The thing I love the most: Rambo barely says anything throughout the film and he finally gets a big monologue at the end and you can't understand shit he is saying lol.

I was gonna say how the fuck have you never seen Rambo before but then I remembered I just watched Die Hard and Lethal Weapon for the first time a few months ago. So glass houses and all that.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I think you missed the point of the movie. http://www.whysanity.net/monos/rambo.html

Luckily, I had the subtitles on. But at random points, I covered them up to see if I tell what he was saying. It didn't get too bad until he was almost crying.

I was gonna say how the fuck have you never seen Rambo before but then I remembered I just watched Die Hard and Lethal Weapon for the first time a few months ago. So glass houses and all that.

I'm working through the 80's classics. I seen parts of the first Rambo, but never the whole thing. Never seen the sequels. Will probably watch the second one tonight.

Those two movies are great. Especially Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Edit- I don't think I have seen LW past the second one.

karasu

I hate how I can't read a synopsis anymore without the movies theme song blaring through my speakers. The theme isn't going to convince me to watch the film, Netflix.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Wait until you discover the utopia known as Netflix Sweden.

I'm Swedish so I've seen most of what I find interesting.

Less than one hour of browsing Netflix Canada the following has been put on my list: Jacob's Ladder, Tree of Life, Rust & Bone, The Ides of March, Blow, Amour, Velvet Goldmine, God's Pocket, Metro Manila, Before Midnight, We Need To Talk About Kevin, Angel Heart, 8 Mile, Blue Jasmine, In Time, Flash Gordon, Salt, Green Hornet, Fiddler on the Roof, Under the Skin, Men in Black 3, Exodus Gods & Kings, Planet Terror, The Bourne Legacy, Sin City - A Dame to Kill For, Still Alice, Wild, Boyhood, Total Recall, The Breakfast Club, 12 Years a Slave, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Foxcatcher, Prisoners, Whiplash, A Walk Among the Tombstones and Birdman.

That's a lot of movies. Now I just need to find time to see them.

No god ! Please noooo The Office US is being removed from UK Netflix on 30th September. Time to get the box sets since it's all I really constantly watch on Netflix UK . I've watched basically everything, time to try Amazon.

http://uk.newonnetflix.info/lastchance/s

Unless its also being removed from the US netflix, less than £1.50 a month for a vpn is a lot more convenient than buying box sets. Thats before you take into account all of the other good stuff in different regions.

I hate how I can't read a synopsis anymore without the movies theme song blaring through my speakers. The theme isn't going to convince me to watch the film, Netflix.

The Xbox One Netflix app now autoplays the movie when you select it (before hitting play). It's kind of annoying when trying to read movies synopses.

Asbel

An Honest Liar is a really interesting documentary on the life of the Amazing Randi. It details how he spent his career as a magician and escape artist, but also dives into how he would expose cold readers and religious healers as hacks. Then it takes a sharp right turn into some pretty wild personal issues. Definitely worth a watch if you want a good doc.

I liked it too. I want to say screw the swindlers but the people being scammed of money need to take responsibility too.

Oh man. If you're just starting into Rambo I'm jealous. I loved all of them, even the most recent one where
he rips out a guys throat and later mow down a bunch of dudes with a .50 cal
. They're stupid fun.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

An Officer and a Murderer (Drama)
Burying the Ex (Romantic, Comedy, Horror)
Longmire Season 4 (TV, Drama)
Patterns of Evidence: Exodus (TV, Faith)
Teen Beach 2 (Family)
The Suicide Theory (Indie, Thriller)

UK:

Jingle All the Way (Family, It's Turbo time)
Kiss of Death (Thriller)

Germany:

Arrow Season 2 (TV, Action)

Australia:

Falling Skies Season 5 (TV, Action)

Oh man. If you're just starting into Rambo I'm jealous. I loved all of them, even the most recent one where
he rips out a guys throat and later mow down a bunch of dudes with a .50 cal
. They're stupid fun.

That is how I would describe the first one, stupid fun.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Commando
Best of the Best
Tango and Cash

I wanna kiss you. That was a brilliant action movie. From the very start (right? wrong!) I knew I was in for a great ride. The action, the incredibly cheesy one liners, the deaths, were all top-notch. I think the tool shed scene was my favorite. Well recommended.

LakeEarth

Fricken Netflix and the spoilers they slip in the episode synopses. I'm watching a show where a major plot point is a character's death, and the synopsys for the following episode straight up says "X finds Y alive". I know it's my fault for reading it, but 20 seconds between episodes is a long time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

It was a moving and touching film. I'm sad that it didn't click with you. :( He's suffering from PTSD and just wanted to mind his own business. :(

Top Bottom