• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
It was a moving and touching film. I'm sad that it didn't click with you. :( He's suffering from PTSD and just wanted to mind his own business. :(

I did feel sad for him when he wanted to get some grub. Makes him more badass that he initially fought them on an empty stomach.

Seriously guys, watch this show. Don't ignore it because it is Spanish. It's so good.

I was trying to watch it in Spanish, but I don't really know all the mexican slang. I have no problem with Narcos and most spanish movies.

Probably should just turn on the english subtitles

Seriously guys, watch this show. Don't ignore it because it is Spanish. It's so good.

Its hard to watch. Not because its in Spanish. Because its wierd. A wierd mix of humor and seriousness (The scene where the father dies in the sauna was really really wierd). After the first episode (The trailer shows everything from the first episode) i had a hard time to know where this is going.

I will continue watching it later when im into a wierd show.

Aiii

So not worth it
Its hard to watch. Not because its in Spanish. Because its wierd. A wierd mix of humor and seriousness (The scene where the father dies in the sauna was really really wierd). After the first episode (The trailer shows everything from the first episode) i had a hard time to know where this is going.

I will continue watching it later when im into a wierd show.

Heh, the humor is exactly what I enjoy so much about it, reminds me a tiny bit of Jane The Virgin really, a bit of self deprecating dark humor is great. Maybe it's more in line with European humor, I guess.

Still, stick with it, once you get used to the characters it gets even better.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

12 Segundos (Thriller)
About Elly (Drama, Foreign)
Fugitvos Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
God Bless the Child (Indie, Drama)
It Happened Here (Documentary, Cultural)
Lego: City/Elves (TV, Kids)
Men, Women & Children (Drama)
The Rise of Hope (Documentary, Biographical/Pope)
The Roughnecks (Documentary, Sports)

Canada:

Interstellar (Drama, SciFi)

UK:

Monsters University (Family)
Toy Story (Family)

Added today:

12 Segundos (Thriller)
About Elly (Drama, Foreign)
Fugitvos Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
God Bless the Child (Indie, Drama)
It Happened Here (Documentary, Cultural)
Lego: City/Elves (TV, Kids)
Men, Women & Children (Drama)
The Rise of Hope (Documentary, Biographical/Pope)
The Roughnecks (Documentary, Sports)

Canada:

Interstellar (Drama, SciFi)

UK:

Monsters University (Family)
Toy Story (Family)

Oh boy. Watching it right now :D

Season 4 of Longmire is some good shit.

Fantastic to see such a great show able to spread its wings in a new format... Most episodes are an hour long, some an hour and ten mins etc.

ITT: More people should watch Longmire

watched this...it was weird but ok i guess. alexandra daddario tho...yes

a few years back i thought anton yelchin was up and coming. now he's in all these weird movies haha

she has like the only standout performance of the movie, real fun and charming. the movie itself though.... ehhhhh

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Yes Netflix Canada has been on a roll lately. So many great and/or recent movies have been added in a pretty short amount of time.

Yea, feeling the same way. Got myself digging a little deeper and there's dozens of great or interesting movies in that selection. Just awesome.

watched this...it was weird but ok i guess. alexandra daddario tho...yes

a few years back i thought anton yelchin was up and coming. now he's in all these weird movies haha

Anton is still up and coming. He kind of got fucked over on Odd Thomas, which is actually a good movie but the businees side behind the scenes ruined what could have been a sucessful series. He's still in Star Trek though so relevant. Just needs the right solo vehicle.

New season of Portlandia is up. I was watching some yesterday. Seems like this season they're doing long form instead of vignettes .. at least thats how its been in the first two eps. I was laughing my ass off when I saw Justin Long as Lance's dad.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Comedy Bang! Bang! Season 4 (TV, Comedy)
Freedom (Drama)
Pixies (Family)
The Wise Kids (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian, Faith)
Why Did I Get Married? (Romantic, Comedy)

HawkeyeFIN

Neo Member
Added today:

Freedom (Drama)
Pixies (Family)
The Wise Kids (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian, Faith)
Why Did I Get Married? (Romantic, Comedy)

Nice! The show is charming as hell and I'm excited to see if/how Reggie leaving mixes things up.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Some movies I have watched recently:

Flight 93: It was alright. I think the movie tries way too hard to puck your heart strings. And the acting is horrible. Still, it did tear me up considering it was about 9/11.

The Big Green: This movie is great. Classic underdog story. I never saw this movie growing up, but I think it has held up pretty well.

The Last Days: Random pick due to the premise of the film. People are dying when they step outside. The film does a poor job telling the story and confused me when jumping to events that took prior to the current events. Only check it out if you are into the whole dystopia thing.

Time Lapse: Another random pick due to the premise. Three people stumble upon a camera that spits out photos of the future. The movie only takes place in three locations. Which I think takes away from the movie being really interesting. It also becomes dark halfway through.

The beginning was great, but it starts to fall apart afterwards. Go in with low expectations and you should walk away with a decent SciFi film.

lordxar

Time Lapse: Another random pick due to the premise. Three people stumble upon a camera that spits out photos of the future. The movie only takes place in three locations. Which I think takes away from the movie being really interesting. It also becomes dark halfway through.

The beginning was great, but it starts to fall apart afterwards. Go in with low expectations and you should walk away with a decent SciFi film.

I liked it all the way but yea now that you mention it the end was a bit weird.

Watching Roboshark right now. Its a total B rated piece of shit that's so damn bad its kind of good. I feel...dirty now.

JavyOO7

Haven't been watching Netflix stuff lately so decided to stop playing Splatoon/Mario Maker and been watching 'Narcos'. Good first 3 episodes so far.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I liked it all the way but yea now that you mention it the end was a bit weird.

Watching Roboshark right now. Its a total B rated piece of shit that's so damn bad its kind of good. I feel...dirty now.

Added Roboshark to my q. I saw it browsing around, but I will watch it now.

Haven't been watching Netflix stuff lately so decided to stop playing Splatoon/Mario Maker and been watching 'Narcos'. Good first 3 episodes so far.

The first three episodes are good, but it gets really good after.

Akahige

Portlandia Season 5 was added.
Wow they are fast getting new episodes on there, we had the last part of Season 3 added not that long ago, it's only ten of the forty episodes of the season but still that good.

Salsa

Narcos is great but this brazilian guy playing Escobar is killing me with his spanish

its even more jarring cause he's the only one who doesnt nail the accent but he's the only one who at the least should

Montresor

Spanish is a beautiful language, and I love lengthy Spanish dialogue in movies and shows... but I can't speak Spanish so I'm incapable of noticing any bad accents, hehe.

Obviously the following example can't be compared to Narcos... but I remember in the game Max Payne 3 (70% of the game takes place in Brazil), Max's friend Passos apparently has a bad Portuguese accent. I wouldn't be able to spot a bad Portuguese accent, but very late in the game, you come across Passos's passport, which shows Passos was born in Columbia, so Max says "Hmmmpph, well how about that, no wonder his Portuguese accent was so bad". I thought that was neat.

C4Lukins

Ahh, damn. I was looking to watch that one, but I got it mixed up with Flight 93. A quick google search says Flight 93 was a tv movie. Which explains a lot. I will watch United 93 soon.

United 93 is excellent.

What is not so good. Burying the Ex. That was disappointing.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just finished up Narcos. Wow, I really loved this show.

I have never seen any show (or really, didn't know anything about Pablo's life) about Pablo before, so this was all new to me. I loved the use of actual news footage and photographs. Early on, I constantly found myself pausing the show to read up on the events that happened. Towards the end, I could definitely see why they included the real footage, because some of those events were just insane. They were right, people, myself included, would not have believe that Pablo was capable of doing such things.

The show is well-directed and well-acted. The cinematography especially was amazing. Beautiful shots of Colombia. I think the only character that wasn't interesting was Steve. Pablo's, Gustavo's and Gacha's characters were my favorite. I liked how Juan Pablo Raba and Luis Guzman portrayed their characters. They did a great job.

I didn't have issue with Wagner's accent. There were times when it would slip, but overall, I thought it was fine.

My main issue with the show is they seemed to have crammed a lot of content/events in the short season. But, I might be nitpicking with this one.

This might have become my favorite Netflix Original. I can't wait to see more.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Ax Men Season 1 (TV, Reality)
Call the Midwife Season 4 (TV, Drama)
Toobys Vol. 2 (TV, Kids, Foreign)
Toobys Vol. 2 in English (TV, Kids)

Gray Matter

Ha, the Spanish version of breaking bad is up on Netflix (US).

I have not heard a single positive thing about it, might watch just for the laughs.

rexor0717

Person of Interest Season 3 Major Spoiler
Was Joss dying the "I'm on Empire now" death? So lame.
I've been blowing though this show though, it's pretty entertaining.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I only saw a small part of this latest standup (the gun segment), but I found Jim Jefferies to be funny.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

AFV Kids: Nincompoop Nation Season 1 (TV, Reality)
Antboy 2: Revenge of the Red Fury (Family, Foreign)
B for Boy (Drama, Foreign)
Bella Vita (Documentary, Sports)
Canimals Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Closer to the Moon (Comedy, Foreign)
Cowspiracy (Documentary)
Exeter (Indie, Horror)
Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Immoral Tales (Romantic, Drama, Foreign)
Kambu Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries Season 3 (TV, Drama, Crime)
Myth Hunters Season 2 (TV, Documentary)
Rubble Kings (Documentary, Social)
TEDTalks: Humanity's Future Season 1 (TV, Science)
The Bank Job (Thriller, Crime)
The Beast (Thriller, Foreign)
The Mugger (Crime, Drama, Foreign)
The Only Real Game (Documentary, Social, Sports)
The Road Within (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
Tweeny Witches (Anime)

Canada:

19-2 Season 2 (TV, Crime, Drama)
Batman: The Brave and the Bold Season 3 (TV, Kids)
Homeward Bound 1-2 (Family)
Life Unexpected Season 1-2 (TV, Drama)
Mamma Mia (Romantic, Comedy, Musical)
McFarland, USA (Drama)
The Princess and the Frog (Family)
Underdog (Family)

Australia:

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (Family)

Brazil:

New Town Killers (Indie, Thriller)
Una Noche (Indie, Drama, Foreign)

B-Dex

Added today:

AFV Kids: Nincompoop Nation Season 1 (TV, Reality)
Antboy 2: Revenge of the Red Fury (Family, Foreign)
B for Boy (Drama, Foreign)
Bella Vita (Documentary, Sports)
Canimals Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Closer to the Moon (Comedy, Foreign)
Cowspiracy (Documentary)
Exeter (Indie, Horror)
Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Immoral Tales (Romantic, Drama, Foreign)
Kambu Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries Season 3 (TV, Drama, Crime)
Myth Hunters Season 2 (TV, Documentary)
Rubble Kings (Documentary, Social)
TEDTalks: Humanity's Future Season 1 (TV, Science)
The Bank Job (Thriller, Crime)
The Beast (Thriller, Foreign)
The Mugger (Crime, Drama, Foreign)
The Only Real Game (Documentary, Social, Sports)
The Road Within (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
Tweeny Witches (Anime)

Canada:

19-2 Season 2 (TV, Crime, Drama)
Batman: The Brave and the Bold Season 3 (TV, Kids)
Homeward Bound 1-2 (Family)
Life Unexpected Season 1-2 (TV, Drama)
Mamma Mia (Romantic, Comedy, Musical)
McFarland, USA (Drama)
The Princess and the Frog (Family)
Underdog (Family)

Australia:

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (Family)

Brazil:

New Town Killers (Indie, Thriller)
Una Noche (Indie, Drama, Foreign)

My childhood.

Would anybody like to recommend me some shows? Preferably on Netflix, but it doesn't have to be.

I'm getting back into TV but I want to know what I've been missing. My tastes are pretty eclectic, so I'll just give a list of some of my favorite shows. I should note that I'm not a fan of shows/movies that have gratuitous amounts of blood and/or gore, and I can be pretty superficial in the sense of being intolerant to shows with bad/dated production values, though I'm willing to make exceptions for the truly exceptional.

Here's some of my faves:

COSMOS
Hunter X Hunter 2011
Fringe
Battlestar Galactica (remake)
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Black Mirror
Attack on Titan
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sense8
FlashForward
The Event
Kidnapped
Person of Interest
Eureka
Fate Zero Series
Touch
Community
Prison Break
Parks and Recreation
Veep
Arrested Development
Humans/Real Humans
Jericho
Monk
The Office
Merlin
Chuck
Psych

As you can see, I like battle shonen anime, sci-fi, fantasy, conspiracy theory based shows, shows with well choreographed action, shows with profound messages, shows with a mysterious plot, humor similar to Community/Parks/Veep/Arrested Development/The Office (I know these shows aren't similar but I love the humor from each one of them), and shows that are light-hearted in tone, but still very good.

I prefer serialized over episodic, but if an episodic show has a high average of good episodes, then I'd be willing to watch it.

I know it's a lot of info, but I figured it would increase my chances in making sure you guys recommended me shows that have a high probability in me liking.

Top Bottom