• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
For choreographed action, I would say check out Marco Polo, Daredevil and Sense8. Marco Polo and Sense8 take a few episodes to get going (around three).

Karu

sci-fi, fantasy
You said your part about production values, but since you included TNG... maybe try Deep Space Nine if you haven't already. An amazing amount of great, interesting characters, in later season a - for Trek standards - pretty serialized plot and all around a really entertaining show.

So... I guess you have seen it and didn't like it, otherwise I can't quite explain that LOST's missing on your list. If you actually haven't, watch that, seriously.

conspiracy theory based shows
Similar case as with LOST, but... The X-Files?!

shows with profound messages
Not quite sure what you mean here, but you have to watch Rectify and depending on your taste The Leftovers, which was my favourite show of 2014.

humor similar to Community/Parks/Veep/Arrested Development/The Office (I know these shows aren't similar but I love the humor from each one of them), and shows that are light-hearted in tone, but still very good.
Watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine. It's from the Parks-creators! Other than that... check out Silicon Valley.

For choreographed action, I would say check out Marco Polo, Daredevil and Sense8. Marco Polo and Sense8 take a few episodes to get going (around three).

I've seen Sense8. FANTASTIC show! How are the gore/blood levels with Marco Polo and Daredevil? I tend to shy away from darker shows unless they're exceptional. But thank you for the recommendations!

You said your part about production values, but since you included TNG... maybe try Deep Space Nine if you haven't already. An amazing amount of great, interesting characters, in later season a - for Trek standards - pretty serialized plot and all around a really entertaining show.

So... I guess you have seen it and didn't like it, otherwise I can't quite explain that LOST's missing on your list. If you actually haven't, watch that, seriously.

Similar case as with LOST, but... The X-Files?!

Not quite sure what you mean here, but you have to watch Rectify and depending on your taste The Leftovers, which was my favourite show of 2014.

Watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine. It's from the Parks-creators! Other than that... check out Silicon Valley.

DS9...I guess I should try it. It seemed so different from TNG that I never really gave it a chance.

I LOVED LOST! My list wasn't exhaustive. I just forgot to list it.

To be honest, I wanted X-files to stick to the mythology exclusively and they didn't. Because of that, I didn't like it.

By profound messages, I'm talking about thought provoking things, like the fantastic satire from Black Mirror, or the themes from Puella Madoka. I'll check out the shows relevant to that. Thank you.

I've seen Silicon Valley and thought it was amazing! Again, I simply forgot to list it. Will definitely check out Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Thanks so much, guys!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Oops. I scanned the list twice and didn't see Sense8.

There is gore/blood, but it isn't over the top. Daredevil, there tends to be more blood, but it is warranted and not there just for show.

A light hearted show you should check out is, The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

We have similar taste in shows, I think you would like House. It is a medical show and can be a bit dark (the main character has a drug addiction), but it is well written and great.

Oops. I scanned the list twice and didn't see Sense8.

There is gore/blood, but it isn't over the top. Daredevil, there tends to be more blood, but it is warranted and not there just for show.

A light hearted show you should check out is, The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

We have similar taste in shows, I think you would like House. It is a medical show and can be a bit dark (the main character has a drug addiction), but it is well written and great.

I'll check out both of Daredevil and Marco Polo eventually, but due to the nature of the kind of shows that they are, they won't be high on the priority list.

Just watched the trailer for The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt... definitely looks like my kind of show! Ellie Kemper was great in The Office, and she seems like she'll be a pretty quirky yet interesting character in this. WILL WATCH.

I never even thought about watching House, but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks a ton!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Moonrise Kingdom (Indie, Drama, Romantic)
Reservation Road (Thriller, Crime)
The Fosters Season 3 (TV, Drama, Teen)
The Harvest (Thriller)

Canada:

The Aristocats (Family)
The Rescuers (Family)

UK:

An Evening with Kevin Smith (Documentary, Biographical)
Swing Vote (Drama)
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (Action, SciFi)
The Marksman (Action)

Calabi

Just watched Journey To The Center Of the Earth 1998, I dont know why. I dont know what the fuck I watched I think I may have concussion, my head hurts, I need a lie down. Stay away.... avoid....... Rating: -945654154254 out of 5.

nicolajNN

As you can see, I like battle shonen anime, sci-fi, fantasy, conspiracy theory based shows, shows with well choreographed action, shows with profound messages, shows with a mysterious plot, humor similar to Community/Parks/Veep/Arrested Development/The Office (I know these shows aren't similar but I love the humor from each one of them), and shows that are light-hearted in tone, but still very good.

It's not the sort of anime you said you liked, but based on some of the other things you listed you might like Steins;Gate(though it's only on the Canadian Netflix), I kinda thought it was like an anime Fringe, it deals with some of the same things such as time travel and alternate timelines.
Also perhaps Psycho Pass, sci-fi as well, but more of a future police/conspiracy thing, and also more gory.

Only mentioning this as I've found myself watching episodes lately, but since you listed Monk, have you ever watched Coloumbus? Less comedy, also old, but still good

It's not the sort of anime you said you liked, but based on some of the other things you listed you might like Steins;Gate(though it's only on the Canadian Netflix), I kinda thought it was like an anime Fringe, it deals with some of the same things such as time travel and alternate timelines.
Also perhaps Psycho Pass, sci-fi as well, but more of a future police/conspiracy thing, and also more gory.

Only mentioning this as I've found myself watching episodes lately, but since you listed Monk, have you ever watched Coloumbus? Less comedy, also old, but still good

Sounds very interesting. I shall give steins;gate a chance. Couldn't really get into Psycho-pass, but I'll give it a second chance.

I'll also check out Columbus. Thanks for the recommendations!

As you can see, I like battle shonen anime, sci-fi, fantasy, conspiracy theory based shows, shows with well choreographed action, shows with profound messages, shows with a mysterious plot, humor similar to Community/Parks/Veep/Arrested Development/The Office (I know these shows aren't similar but I love the humor from each one of them), and shows that are light-hearted in tone, but still very good.

Blue Mountain State
Knights of Sidonia
Misfits
Bojack Horseman

Have fun.

Bojack Horseman is the only one where i would say that you need to watch more than one Episode, because the humor,quality and overall thematic of the first 4-5 episodes is just bad. It gets better and better with each episode and by the end of season 1 you will find out what show this exactly is.
Because this isnt a typical Cartoon Network/Adult Swim cartoon series. Maybe only Rick and Morty can beat it (depending on your taste) but its by far one of the best shows right now.

Blue Mountain State
Knights of Sidonia
Misfits
Bojack Horseman

Have fun.

Bojack Horseman is the only one where i would say that you need to watch more than one Episode, because the humor,quality and overall thematic of the first 4-5 episodes is just bad. It gets better and better with each episode and by the end of season 1 you will find out what show this exactly is.
Because this isnt a typical Cartoon Network/Adult Swim cartoon series. Maybe only Rick and Morty can beat it (depending on your taste) but its by far one of the best shows right now.

I will look into all of these. Thank you.

A bit surprised by the Bojack recommendation, but if it's good, then I'll give it a chance.

Karu

A bit surprised by the Bojack recommendation, but if it's good, then I'll give it a chance.
It's currently heralded by several TV critics as Netflix's best show (Which obviously is still Orange after its fantastic third season :p), but it really is quite the show. Not what you might expect at all...

It's currently heralded by several TV critics as Netflix's best show (Which obviously is still Orange after its fantastic third season :p), but it really is quite the show. Not what you might expect at all...

I actually didn't know this, which is probably why the recommendation caught me off guard. I'm certainly intrigued and will post impressions when I get the chance to watch it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
We Are the Millers (Canada): I loved it. I thought this was going to be a stupid comedy, but I found it to be funny. The cast was really good and they were really funny together.

The blooper at the end had me dying though. They played the Friends theme since Jennifer Aniston was part of the cast. Her face was priceless.

lordxar

Phoenix Project was damn good. Kind of garage sci-fi in a Primer kind of way.

Edit: Dracula 3000 is just shit. Amusing in parts but just utter shit. I have no reasonable explanation on why I finished it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
She's all like...

You thing that's funny, huh? Reaaaal funny.... Well... I WILL BURN THIS PLACE TO THE GROUND! WHERE'S MY AGEEEEENT?! :D

Her face at the beginning was great. Like she was thinking, why does this song sound familiar?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Better Off Ted Season 2 (TV, Comedy)
Catching Faith (Drama, Sports)
Dedh Ishqiya (Romantic, Comedy, Foreign)
Exeter (Horror)
From Prada to Nada (Romantic, Comedy)
Goodbye Cruel World (Comedy, Foreign)
Haven Season 5 (TV, SciFi)
Immoral Tales (Drama, Foreign)
Ishqiya (Romantic, Comedy, Foreign)
Keith Richards: Under the Influence (Documentary, Biographical, Netflix Original)
Last Hours in Suburbia (Drama)
Matt Braunger: Big Dumb Animal (Standup)
Red Eagle: The Movie (Action, Foreign)
The Deep End Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Vinyl Days (Romantic, Comedy, Foreign)

IISANDERII

Anybody watch McFarland with Kevin Costner? It's a really good family film.
Looking forward to more Disney stuff now, haven't seen any of their stuff from recent years.
What are the best comedy specials currently on US Netflix?

I'm in the mood.
Women Who Kill
Eddie Pepitone - In Ruins

I've watched both several times each. Great stuff, prepare to suffocate.

Good suggestions.

Marco Polo isn't even that good, but it's a beautifully shot show...and a nice "get away".

Daredevil and Sense 8 are simply well made shows.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Couple of movies I have seen recently.

McFarland, USA (Canada): IISANDERII posted about this movie in the Star Wars thread. I thought I would check it out. Glad I did because it was a fantastic movie. Heartwarming and a great underdog story. Kevin Costner was outstanding in this.

Flipped (Mexico): Coming of age romantic comedy. The story is told from both of the perspectives of the love birds. Not bad, but not great. In the middle somewhere.

Short Term 12: Indie drama about teens at a foster care facility. It was alright. They don't spend enough time with the teens and their stories.

The Hole: Horror movie about a family that finds a mysterious hole in their basement. It started off really well and had me intrigued. Around the point where you start finding out what the hole is, it starts to fall apart. The ending is beyond laughable. By the end of it, I felt I watched a really long episode of Goosebumps.

Despicable Me 2 (UK): The movie is beautifully animated. The voice acting is great. Story wise, I didn't think it was great. Still, it made me laugh. The minions are still the star of the movie. It didn't have the charm of the first one and the girls were barely in it. I enjoyed it though.

Coherence (Sweden): Nice little indie SciFi flick. It is compelling and interesting, but like any movie involving the time-space continuum, it can get a bit confusing. Overall, I thought they did a good job with it.

Blue Ruin: Random pick. I was pretty meh about it. Not enough to keep your attention and the movie goes by really slow.

I understand why prople love it. Its slow,artsy and realistic at times. But its still a generic Revenge movie. I didnt liked it either, sorry.

I feel generic is a bit harsh. The motivation of him taking revenge for his parents is reasonably original. I'm sure there are other examples of that happening in movies but I think more people have taken revenge for the death of their dog in movies than parents. Plus revenge flicks are usually power fantasies of a guy skillfully murdering hosts of people to take revenge. This was a guy who had no idea how to do it and had trouble doing something like getting a gun which is the type of thing you would take for granted in your average revenge movie. I don't think it's the best movie ever or anything but I don't think generic should be applied to it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
My problem with the film is that it takes awhile for you to learn why he is looking for revenge. It is unclear up until he
kidnaps the older brother and gets a gun from his buddy.
I think they would have been better off showing the parents death and then at least you would be emotionally invested in his character and his revenge.

Speaking of his character, yeah, I have to agree that the actor was bad and the character wasn't really interesting.

There were times when nothing happens or the movie moves along at a snail's pace,
like when he reaches the cabin.

I understand this dude isn't skillful, and that is part of the appeal of the movie, so, for me, that wasn't a negative.

Does it really take that long to learn? It's been a while since I've seen the movie but I could have sworn the cop mentions it right at the start. His emotional immaturity was hinting at it at least though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Does it really take that long to learn? It's been a while since I've seen the movie but I could have sworn the cop mentions it right at the start. His emotional immaturity was hinting at it at least though.

The cop at the beginning just tells him that "he has been released." That they will be missed and it was tragic what happened to them. But she never mentions who "he" is or who "they" are.

I watched Blue Ruin a couple of nights ago as well and really wasn't that enamoured with it. The vague set up didn't really bother me, I thought it was clear enough to get the film started. I just felt that it was too slow and really didn't keep me invested; it wasn't terrible I just doubt I'll be recommending it to anyone.

I've been on a bit of a documentary kick this weekend. Watched:

The Summit - Been meaning to watch this for a while and after seeing Everest decided I should get to it. Thought it was a really well put together documentary.

Motivation 2 - I really enjoyed this. I think it's probably the type of documentary where if you aren't into skating it won't be as interesting though (compared to something like All This Mayhem where the documentary works on its own)

The battered bastards of baseball - Had this on my watchlist for a while because I heard it was good but kept skipping over it since I really have no interest in baseball. Its a great documentary though, really worth watching even if you don't have any interest in the sport.

Karu

Watched Forgetting Sarah Marschall last night. Apatow-comedys are best comedys. From the genius 40-year old virigin to Knocked Up and especially Superbad I've pretty much enjoyed all of them. (Wikipedia tells me he was only a producer on some of them, but you get the idea... the group of people who make them).

Watching The Code right now (TV show, not the documentary) and wow, this is some good shit.

Why do the good shows always have to be so short?!

Top Bottom