• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Xater

Honestly only made it halfway through. The writing is just so bad whenever they make their own stuff instead of taking from the books, I couldn't take it anymore.

Everything that was changed is basically worse than it was in the comics. It's amazing. I gave up mid season 3 because it was too much.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Never read the comics. I love the show. One of my favorites.

Basically this.

Also, a decent season isn't so bad when you marathon. When you have to wait week-to-week and a mid-season hiatus, a decent/bad season can be horrible. I can understand quitting mid-way through.

But, if you are marathoning, you don't have to put up with that crap and just blow past the bad episodes.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Season is bad?
It's actually one of the best seasons so far I would say. Plenty of action, plenty of character progression. There are some major missteps in the plotting for specific characters but overall it's enjoyable.

Without my comic knowledge that inspired certain hopes I would have checked out even earlier. Season 1 was ok, but man was season 2 bad.

I will admit that the search for Sophia stuff was too long. They definitely stayed on the farm too long.

That being said, it's a zombie show (or at least a show about surviving in a zombie apocalypse) and I love zombie stuff.

Aiii

So not worth it
I will admit that the search for Sophia stuff was too long. They definitely stayed on the farm too long.

That being said, it's a zombie show (or at least a show about surviving in a zombie apocalypse) and I love zombie stuff.

If you love zombie stuff you should seriously pick up the comics sometime. It'll blow your mind.

Karu

Season 2 is the best TWD season by a looooong looooong mile. I've accepted the fact that no one else thinks so, though. :-(

Vyer

I don't watch/read TWD, but I never understand judging a tv show/movie by the books (or in this case comics) they are adapted from. In my experience that working out well is much more the exception rather than the norm. There's just so much less freedom when switching between those formats plus so many other factors, like moving from a couple of creative visions to many more. I get comparisons, but it's so much better to judge a show on its own merits or against other similar types of media.

Aiii

So not worth it
If we judge TWD without regarding the books? It has terrible written dialogue, tons of bad actors, characters that get introduced just for the purpose of having someone to kill (or if it is a black character, to kill off the other black character... I wish I was joking) and plenty of characters that change their entire reasoning on unexplained whims.

It has shock value and gore if it is not one of many bottle episodes, which is why so many people keep on watching. But at best it's straight-to-DVD action movie level of quality as far as narrative goes IMO.

off topic, but anyone here have hulu? the site says only 1 device at a time for streaming but ive got devices -xbox and apple tv using hulu running at the same using the same username no problems.

weird. not complaining though

Aiii

So not worth it
Not sure what you are asking? Do you mean you are streaming on multiple places at the same time or set up your account with multiple apps? The latter is fine, the former is prohibited and shouldn't be possible.

Vyer

If we judge TWD without regarding the books? It has terrible written dialogue, tons of bad actors, characters that get introduced just for the purpose of having someone to kill (or if it is a black character, to kill off the other black character... I wish I was joking) and plenty of characters that change their entire reasoning on unexplained whims.

It has shock value and gore if it is not one of many bottle episodes, which is why so many people keep on watching. But at best it's straight-to-DVD action movie level of quality as far as narrative goes IMO.

Which is fine and may be true, I don't really know, as long as it's really the case and not just an extension of 'not the books' disappointment, which is also a thing that happens. I'm just talking more about the tendency in general.

Not really into zombies, but I suppose I should get around to trying TWD some day.

hamchan

With liberal use of fast forwarding, because it is slow and dull. Worst season yet. And that's saying something.

I don't see it. Slow and dull describes huge swathes of the Walking Dead tv show, especially season 2 and season 4. Season 5 is no different to them.

Do not forget to mention the Twists in the comics that are not/never will be on the show.
[Do not Read if you want to read the comic]
The twins were different,Ricks Arm
[This might happen in the series. So dont click it if you wanna watch the series]
Carls Eye
Also i dont think that they [Might be Spoilers for Season 6 or 7]
Kill Glenn
in the Series. They will propably make a new character that takes his place.

Jesus its like they dont even try following the comics.

The comics are really good. But the series just shits on it. Its like Batman & Robin vs Batman Comic quality-wise.

If you guys wanna have the real deal. Read the comics. They are beginner friendly. If you want a meh series that is simply overhyped because "Zombies" then go with the series. But you will miss something great if you dont do the first.

Penguin

I forget who does it, but has anyone done the yearly, what horror/scary movies are available on different countries Netflix list for the year?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Not sure if you meant me (as I only did it last year), but I'm putting together a list on Oct 1st or 2nd. Waiting for things to expire so that I don't list them.

lordxar

You're right - they don't. The writers intentionally try to differentiate the show from the comics as much as they can.

Which wouldn't be bad if they made something as compelling as the source. I loved season one. It had some differences but still had the comic vibe. Now I get that the budget is only so big. What I don't get is making the show so drawn out on pointless shit for the sake of drama. See season 2. That whole farm sequence was like one or two issues of the comic. By comparison the prison ran like 20 or 30 issues and had some really cool, dark themes like a serial killer in their midst or the one dude that survived a night locked in the gym with zombies. Instead we were solely focused on the governor which got chopped to shit so it would fit in a season. I'd have much preferred the prison to have a build season followed by a destroy season for the prison.

Then there's the characters that only feel there to be red shirts except for a very select few. The comic doesn't hold anything back and fucks the characters up in all sorts of ways but your attached to the people generally. The show doesn't really get you attached since the characters are only in a short time or replace someone else.

What made me stop watching was exactly how bleak the show is. Not the story, the show itself. There's not enough zombie action, too much boo hoo our lives suck, oh wait new cast member. I may eventually watch it all. Sometimes I get in a shitty mood over a show but come back and enjoy it but for now, this shambling mess is someone else's problem.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Dark Matter Season 1 (TV, SciFi)
The Walking Dead Season 5 (TV, Action, Zombies) In case people missed this yesterday.

Canada:

Skin Trade (Action, Martial Arts)
The Imitation Game (Drama)

UK:

Bull Durham (Romantic, Comedy)
Housebound (Horror, Comedy)
Planes (Family)
Spring (Indie, SciFi)
The Mechanic (Action)

Netherlands:

A Christmas Carol ('09, Family)
Once Upon a Time Season 4 (TV, Drama, Fantasy)
Stolen (Action, Thriller)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Available October 1

Batman Begins (This wasn't listed at the link, but two other sites have it listed. So it might be coming.)
American Pie (Same deal)
Boogie Nights (Same deal)
The Bourne Supremacy (Same deal)
Million Dollar Baby
Wild Horses
Barefoot Contessa; back To Basics, Collection 1
Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Collection 1
Worst Cooks in America, Collection 1
Extreme Homes, Collection 1
Fixer Upper, Season 1
House Hunters Renovation, Collection 1
Million Dollar Rooms, Collection 1
Property Virgins, Collection 1
The Vanilla Ice Project, Seasons 1-4
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
On the Town
Some Came Running
Take Me Out To The Ball Game
Monkey Thieves, Season 1-3
Uncle Grandpa, Season 1
Last Man Standing, Season 4
El Tiempo Entre Costuras
Curse of Chucky
The Nightmare

Available October 2

Anjelah Johnson: Not Fancy
Reign, Season 2
The Vampire Diaries, Season 6
La Leyenda de la Nahuala

Available October 6

American Horror Story: Freak Show

iZombie, Season 1
The Flash, Season 1
The Originals, Season 2

Available October 7

Arrow, Season 3
Supernatural, Season 10

Flor Salvaje

Available October 8

Strangerland

Available October 9

Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom (Netflix Original)
The Mr. Peabody and Sherman Show, Season 1 (Netflix Original)
Mighty Med, Season 2

Available October 11

Jake and the Never Land Pirates, Season 3

Available October 12

Jane the Virgin, Season 1

Available October 14

The Lazarus Effect

Available October 16

Beasts of No Nation (Netflix Original)
Anthony Jeselnik: Thoughts and Prayers
All Hail King Julien, Season 2 (Netflix Original)
Some Assembly Required, Season 2
Circle

Available October 18

Ain't Them Bodies Saints

Available October 20

Lego DC Comics: Batman Be-Leaguered
Marvel's Avengers Assemble, Season 2

Available October 23

Hemlock Grove, Season 3 (Netflix Original)

Available October 25

Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection

Available October 27

Manson Family Vacation
August: Osage County

Available October 28

The Gunman

Available October 30

Popples, Season 1

Expiring October 1

Analyze This
Annie Hall
Interview with the Vampire: The Complete Chronicles
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
Romeo and Juliet
The Big Lebowski
The Exorcist
The Hunt For Red October
The Producers
Twilight

Expiring October 15
Sesame Street Classics

Expiring October 16
Bruno

obin_gam

How has it been previous years in terms of horror films in October on netflix? Why don't they do a surge of them for a month or two? Seems reasonable enough...

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
How has it been previous years in terms of horror films in October on netflix? Why don't they do a surge of them for a month or two? Seems reasonable enough...

Because movie studios would rather take down the movies to try and sell DVDs to Halloween fanatics.

Wow, this adaptation of Romeo & Juliet is shit.

Probably the worst offense of this adaptation is not the addition of new storylines, but the complete audacity of creating new, lengthy dialogue in the Shakesperian style. There's no reason AT ALL to cut out the actual words in order to put in new ones in the same style. Maybe I'm just too sick and have not read Romeo & Juliet in a while, but hot damn.

Pluto

The comics are really good. But the series just shits on it.
The comics are better than the series but they're really not that great, they're the only ongoing zombie fiction in literature, that's why they stand out but the writing isn't very good. I doubt people would sing TWD's praises if there were alternatives.

Wow, Titus from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is an amazing character! His over-the-top personality is hilarious to watch.

Loving this show so far!

Aiii

So not worth it
Everyone needs to watch Jane the Virgin when it launches. One of the best shows last year.

Seriously.

Watch Jane the Virgin.

Watch it!

Tb8GWAW.gif

DO IIIIT!

Available October 1

Barefoot Contessa; back To Basics, Collection 1
Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Collection 1
Worst Cooks in America, Collection 1
Extreme Homes, Collection 1
Fixer Upper, Season 1
House Hunters Renovation, Collection 1
Million Dollar Rooms, Collection 1
Property Virgins, Collection 1
The Vanilla Ice Project, Seasons 1-4

Ah excellent, more HGTV and Food Network. Wife will be happy. Could use another season of Property Brothers though.

Disappointing last year. I don't recall anything exciting being added, and they removed Bram Stoker's Dracula at the end of September.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
If I remember correctly, US Netflix didn't get squat, but the others got some good movies. I'm keeping my eye on Japan for some Japenese horror movies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Bones Season 10 (TV, Drama, Crime)
Intruders (Thriller, Horror)
Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (Drama)
Monster High: Boo York, Boo York (Family)
Puncture (Drama)
RL Stine's Monsterville: Cabinet of Souls (Family)
Soul Boys of the Western World (Documentary, Music)
The Barefoot Artist (Documentary, Biographical)
The Duke of Burgundy (Indie, Drama, Gay & Lesbian)
The Life and Crime of Doris Payne (Documentary, Biographical)

Top Bottom