• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Nyx

So I'm into season 3 of Friday Night Lights now and some things seem a bit weird:

What the hell happened to Santiago, the schizo girlfriend of Smash and Waverly?
It seems all those characters just disappeared? Or did I miss all the scenes in which this is explained or something...?

Anyway this show just gets better and better though, I really love all the main characters now and the way they grow!

Also Everyone should watch Wakfu. Its incredible animated. Well told.

Its wierd that an Anime from france is 100 times better animated than most from japan.

watched the firm

strong cast (tom cruise, gene hackman, ed harris, holly hunter, jeanne tripplehorn, wilford brimely) who deliver good performances but the movie as a whole is a little too boilerplate--interesting jazz piano soundtrack tho.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

American Horror Story: Freak Show (TV, Drama)
iZombie Season 1 (TV, Drama, Comedy)
Last Man Standing Season 4 (TV, Comedy)
Sphere (Thriller, SciFi)
TEDTalks: Defying Disease Season 1 (TV, Science)
The Flash Season 1 (TV, Action)
The Originals Season 2 (TV, Drama)
The Stranger (Thriller, Horror, Foreign)

Bleepey

watched the firm

strong cast (tom cruise, gene hackman, ed harris, holly hunter, jeanne tripplehorn, wilford brimely) who deliver good performances but the movie as a whole is a little too boilerplate--interesting jazz piano soundtrack tho.

I liked it but then again I watch way too many legal dramas.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
watched the firm

I always liked that cruise was sweating profusely throughout a lot of the movie.

zoozilla

I just watched Wings. Silent movie from 1927, winner in the first Academy Awards.

I was honestly kind of blown away. The war scenes are absolutely ridiculous - hundreds of extras and real explosions make for pretty damn convincing trench warfare. And the aerial dogfights are crazier. Apparently they didn't use any rear-projection trickery - they mounted cameras on the front of planes and had the actors actually do maneuvers in them. I don't know how they filmed the plane crashes, but they look real - like someone got hurt. I was impressed.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
So, I just opened Netflix on my PS3 and the unthinkable happened... You can *finally* browse (some) categories!!

Honestly, I can't believe it, I thought this day would never come :D

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I just watched Wings. Silent movie from 1927, winner in the first Academy Awards.

I was honestly kind of blown away. The war scenes are absolutely ridiculous - hundreds of extras and real explosions make for pretty damn convincing trench warfare. And the aerial dogfights are crazier. Apparently they didn't use any rear-projection trickery - they mounted cameras on the front of planes and had the actors actually do maneuvers in them. I don't know how they filmed the plane crashes, but they look real - like someone got hurt. I was impressed.

You'd probably enjoy reading this article about stuntmen in that era, and there are some anecdotes about those perilous crashes in Wings.

http://www.historynet.com/motion-pi...ying-and-dying-for-hollywood-in-the-1920s.htm

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Arrow Season 3 (TV, Action)
Cheatin' (Indie, Romantic, Animation)
Legends Season 1 (TV, Drama, Crime)
Supernatural Season 10 (TV, Action, Fantasy)
The Otherworld (Documentary, Foreign)
Uncertain Terms (Indie, Drama)

UK:

Spongebob Squarepants Season 5-6 (TV, Kids)
Victorious Season 1-2 (TV, Kids)

France:

Homeland Season 4 (TV, Drama)

Aw Yiss. Totally watching Arrow when I get home. Netflix is on a roll.

Just be prepared, as Arrow season 3 is a huge step down from season 2. It isn't the most terrible thing ever like many will say, but it is still a big let down after the fantastic second season.

Not to be a jerk, but what did you expect? The first and second were bad enough...

The other two were terrible, but had that 'so bad they're good' element to it. The third one doesn't even have that going for it. It's just straight up trash. It's trying to have that b-movie 'charm' and utterly fails.

Karu

What is everybody's threshold in regards to the price assuming it will rise indefinitely in the coming decade? The programm evolves obviously, but let's say the relative quality/quantity-balance will be the same.

Guevara

What is everybody's threshold in regards to the price assuming it will rise indefinitely in the coming decade? The programm evolves obviously, but let's say the relative quality/quantity-balance will be the same.

Id be fine with $19.99 honestly.

Still, half of what the cheapest cable plans cost, more then 50% cheaper than Sony Vue, etc.

nicolajNN

I really do quite like The Blacklist, mostly for Spader, but watched episode 15 or season 2 and
is one and a half season really enough to warrant a recap episode?

Honestly I would probably not unsub regardless, but I think my limit is a 100DKK which would pretty much be $15 (keep in mind that the current price here works out at $12)

Regardless, I would think Netflix will wait a while for the next price hike, in part because they've had two this year now, and because next the price will enter the double digits where some might start to think more about it than now.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
We can't get any audio from Netflix stuff now (using the app on our Blu-ray player). All the other services - Hulu, Amazon, etc - work fine. Annoying.

Sblargh

Banned
iZombie is better than I expected. I can't say is GOOD good, but it's fun, have charming characters, the main actress does her job pretty well and a bunch of other nice things to say about a show you like, but don't want to commit by saying "Hey, everyone, watch this!"

Id be fine with $19.99 honestly.

Still, half of what the cheapest cable plans cost, more then 50% cheaper than Sony Vue, etc.

Is anyone really only cutting the cable with just Netflix?

I'd say $15 is my absolute limit.

I'm already locked into Sling TV too for $20. That's inevitably going to go up.... so that would put my watching cost to $35 +$50 for my cable plan. That's $85 a month.

Netflix isn't worth more than $15.99 imo...but $10? Definitely.

Don't get me started on needing Hulu Plus too.

iZombie is better than I expected. I can't say is GOOD good, but it's fun, have charming characters, the main actress does her job pretty well and a bunch of other nice things to say about a show you like, but don't want to commit by saying "Hey, everyone, watch this!"

That's the majority of the Comic Book shows on CW. They're not all worthy of watching them live (or dvr) every week but a good deal of them are cool Netflix shows to just throw on while you're doing chores or cooking dinner or whatever.

Have you finished the season? I think the second half is a lot stronger than the first.

tomtom94

What We Do In the Shadows is up on UK Netflix. Mostly notable for the fact that co-director Taika Waititi might be doing Thor 3 (well that and the fact that it's apparently hilarious and it has Jermaine Clement in it)

BokehKing

Banned
I recommend people watch the first two seasons of blacklist starring James spader so that way someone can make an OT for season 3 because I just binged 2 seasons and this show is fucking mint

Now that I'm caught up on season 3 though (two episodes in) I really wish I had the next 21 episodes to binge, that's how great this show is

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Around the World in 80 days ('56, Action, Comedy)
Crippled Avengers (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Durarara X2 Season 1 (Anime)
Five Elements Ninjas (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Hero (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Invincible Shaolin (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Lalaloopsy: Band Together (TV, Kids)
Mighty Med Season 2 (TV, Kids)
Police Story: Lockdown (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Return to the 36th Chamber (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Robert Kelly: Live at the Village Underground (Standup)
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Action)
Sword Art Online (Anime)
The 36th Camber of Shaolin (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
The Five Venoms (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
The Flash Season 1 (TV, Action)
The Relic (Horror)
Winter on Fire (Documentary, Social, Netflix Original)

Canada:

The Gambler (Thriller, Drama)
The Mr. Peabody and Sherman Show Season 1 (TV, Kids, Netflix Original)

UK:

Reign Season 3 (TV, Drama)
What We Do in the Shadows (Comedy)

France:

Franklin Season 1 (TV, Kids)

Netherlands:

The Killing Season 2 (TV, Drama)

tchocky

Perfect timing for Around the World in 80 days since I bought 80 days on steam yesterday and it made me want to go back and watch the 1956 version which I haven't seen in about 15 years.

Symphonia

Banned
I'd happily pay £20/month for it. Their original content is incredible, and if you factor in using Unblock-US to access every region's content, it really is worth it.

Susurrus

Guys will unblock us VPN work if im casting to my chromecast?

Depends how you cast.

If you Cast Netflix directly, no. It actually runs its own internal app so would need to be on the vpn itself. If you try it and the video is not in your region, will error out.

So what I do is load the video up in chrome and cast the tab (need to make sure to click "this tab" and not "netflix.com"). It will work that way, and you can even full screen, and it sends audio and everything. The only downside is it uses more computer resources, so you need a more powerful machine.

Top Bottom