• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Kaladin

The Great British Baking Show

I'm not going to say it's the best reality show every, but it's very fun and watchable.

Agreed. Whatever you do though, don't watch the US version of it, The Holiday Baking Show is what I think it was called. It is on Hulu and we started it but turned it off in 5 minutes. It's one of those American productions where they try to copy everything the British production did. Down to the set and the two hilariously funny announcers. Oh god the announcers. They got two Americans and they tried to do the shtick of the original show, even down to the accents but it was just bad. I can't believe they actually got Marry Berry on it.

strafer

This is odd.

Lost showrunner demands Netflix restore missing finale footage
Sharp-eyed viewers — and EW’s own Lost expert Jeff Jensen — have noticed the two-part closer of the hit series is roughly 18 minutes shorter on Netflix than the 104-minute version that aired in 2010, with numerous small cuts made. There’s even a lengthy Reddit thread devoted to chronicling the changes. So if you’re watching the Lost finale on Netflix, you’re not seeing the whole story.

The edits have drawn the attention of series showrunner Damon Lindelof, who says he’s just as perplexed as fans — and wants the mysteriously missing footage returned.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Breaking Bad and Saul added to Portuguese Netflix

SvhE8E1.gif

Dr.Acula

Banned
I really really really hate how aggressive Netflix is with that autoplay.

I'm just clicking on that title to see information, I don't want to start playing it! SHUT UP!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Tomorrowland is up on Netflix Canada now.

One of my most anticipated movies of last year. Don't know why I hadn't seen. And then I saw it. I was so disappointed. I was expecting a misunderstood masterpiece but what I got was the usual Brad Birdesque chases and meandering exposition. He's better suited for action movies. He shouldn't do dramas. Get him back to Mission Impossible.

Instead you should watch Wild Tales. That's an awesome movie that does everything right. Near perfect in every aspect. Such a great movie.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I really really really hate how aggressive Netflix is with that autoplay.

I'm just clicking on that title to see information, I don't want to start playing it! SHUT UP!

Yeah, I hate that shit. Are they doing it to inflate their stats? Maybe they count them as views?

lol

I really loved 5 To 7, I was enchanted by it since I first saw the trailers many months ago and it didn't disappoint. It was sweet, funny and it had a very unique charm to it. Anton Yelchin and Bérénice Marlohe were terrific together, Yelchin has now been in two unsual love story movies that I loved, this and Like Crazy, and he has another one coming out this year that seems like a version of Before Sunrise in Porto.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I love Anton Yelchin. You should check out Odd Thomas. While it isn't a full-blown love story, the relationship is unusual.

5 to 7 was refreshing and unique. Great movie.

Exalted

Netflix has just launched in my country and i'm wondering if there is any other option to subscribe that having a credit card, almost nobody has them here?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Netflix has just launched in my country and i'm wondering if there is any other option to subscribe that having a credit card, almost nobody has them here?

There are Netflix subscription cards, but as far as I know, it is US only. The banks in this country don't offer prepaid credit cards?

Have many people here been using the recently released (well, still in beta) Smartflix app? It basically shows all of the available content, from every region with a simple 'click and play' approach.

https://www.smartflix.io/

I've been using it and while it is clearly still a work in progress, I haven't had any issues with it. The dev has been answering questions on reddit as well, which is a good sign the app has good intentions (unlike that joke Hola turned out to be!)

https://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/3toeof/all_smartflix_app_for_windows_and_mac_access_more/

Tugatrix

Have many people here been using the recently released (well, still in beta) Smartflix app? It basically shows all of the available content, from every region with a simple 'click and play' approach.

https://www.smartflix.io/

I've been using it and while it is clearly still a work in progress, I haven't had any issues with it. The dev has been answering questions on reddit as well, which is a good sign the app has good intentions (unlike that joke Hola turned out to be!)

https://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/3toeof/all_smartflix_app_for_windows_and_mac_access_more/

I have to put my account data in there hmm is the guy trust worthy ?

I have to put my account data in there hmm is the guy trust worthy ?

"You can't get credit card info from a login, it's write-only. Internet security 101. (Also, your login info are stored on your computer only, never sent to a server somewhere).
I'm not funneling the entire Netflix traffic, just a very small amount (like other Smart DNS solutions out there, vs. VPNs), so it's as costy as basically serving a few non-static additional page from a website.
Smartflix just launched and I chose reddit to spread the word (best feedback), and a large amount of users are coming from word of mouth at this point. If I had some evil intent reddit would be the last place to talk about it (many tech-savvy users and many haters as well).

Smartflix basically proxy some netflix.com requests to so Netflix believes you are in another country. It doesn't proxy the streams or other large assets so you get the video from Netflix directly (compared to VPN). It's also importance to notice that the app can only proxy whatever requests are made inside the app, your computer Internet (even your Netflix outside the app) can't be affected.

Also, your Netflix login info stay on your computer and are never transmitted to Smartflix servers."

This is what he has stated on reddit, but it's definitely something that's up to you to decide.

nicolajNN

There are Netflix subscription cards, but as far as I know, it is US only. The banks in this country don't offer prepaid credit cards?

The subscription cards are available worldwide, they were introduced in most countries last year. Not sure about the newly added countries though

You can use Paypal on Netflix, though not in all regions AFAIK, would that be an option?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Adult World (Indie, Comedy)
Apostles of Comedy (Standup)
Crossword (Indie, Drama)
Dragons: Race to the Edge Season 2 (TV, Kids, Netflix Original)
The Chronicles of Evil (Drama, Crime, Foreign)
The House that Jack Built (Indie, Drama)
Tom Segura: Mostly Stories (Standup)

France:

Cittagong (Indie, Drama, Foreign)

Australia:

Pretty Little Liars Season 5 (TV, Drama)
The Vampire Diaries Season 6 (TV, Fantasy)

Sweden:

Arrow Season 3 (TV, Action)

Egypt:

A Christmas Story (Family)
A Night at the Opera (Comedy)
A Streetcar Named Desire (Drama)
Batman: Begins, Dark Knight, Forever, Returns, & Robin (Action)
Casablanca (Romantic, Drama)
Contagion (Action, Thriller)
Continuum Season 1-4 (TV, Drama, SciFi)
Gone with the Wind (Drama, Romantic)
Indiana Jones: Last Crusade, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Action)
Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Rosemary's Baby Season 1 (TV, Thriller)
Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Gods of the Arena, Vengeance, War of the Damned (TV, Drama)
The Bugs Bunny Road Runner Movie (Family)

I really want to check out that Ninja Turtles show.

Evolved1

When using a VPN, do you have constantly dick around in your router setting before/after every time you want to use it?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what I'm reading, but this seems like a real hassle, especially if you're using a device like PS4 that you play a lot of MP games.

nicolajNN

When using a VPN, do you have constantly dick around in your router setting before/after every time you want to use it?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what I'm reading, but this seems like a real hassle, especially if you're using a device like PS4 that you play a lot of MP games.

Not sure about full-on VPNs, but if you use a smart-vpn, like Unblock-Us, only the relevant traffic goes through their service so the rest isn't slowed down, in which case it shouldn't be a problem for MP games. Furthermore, you can set it up per device, so no need to mess with the router at all

kuppy

Blockless too is expanding to some of the new regions. I believe Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Isle of Man, Poland, Russia and Singapore are the recently added ones, totaling up to 32 regions.

Evolved1

Not sure about full-on VPNs, but if you use a smart-vpn, like Unblock-Us, only the relevant traffic goes through their service so the rest isn't slowed down, in which case it shouldn't be a problem for MP games. Furthermore, you can set it up per device, so no need to mess with the router at all
I was going to try unblock-us, thanks. Just appeared like it'd be a hassle on ps4, so that's good news.

Evolved1

Is it common to have issues where some regions are incredibly slow to load?

I was able to set this up (actually wasn't hard at all) and have been messing around a bit. I notice things are slow to load in some regions, but the actual stream was good quality.

But some regions, I cannot get to load anything. Mexico for example. It's like dead in the water. I did all of this to watch Black Sails, but I can't get the thing to load.

Lol.

Just wondering, is that normal?

Edit: it's funny the menus are slow but the stream is fine, so weird.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yeah, ever since Netflix updated to that new UI, things can be slow in some regions. Mexico, Sweden, and Australia are the ones that give me the most trouble.

I usually hit refresh for it to load up.

Magwik

Banned
Random things:
Stuff I added to my list on the web version aren't showing on the Ps4 app
They added National Treausre back and I didn't notice
Whoever told me The Road was on Netflix lied to me

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Dreamcatcher (Documentary, Social)
Esperando la Carroza (Comedy, Foreign)
Na Maloom Afraad (Action, Comedy)
Scooby-Doo ('02, Family)
The Marziano Family (Comedy, Foreign)
The Spoils Before Dying Season 1 (TV, Comedy)

Wag

Because of all these new countries added to Netflix we can now watch many foreign language movies/shows with English subtitles out of countries such as Panama (which have large native English language speaking populations). Makes it a perfect time to get a region switching service.

Top Bottom