• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Fritz

I am about to watch the American Horror Story S1 finale.

Man, that show is solid horror. Do the following seasons keep up? I understand at least the Hotel is great.

I am about to watch the American Horror Story S1 finale.

Man, that show is solid horror. Do the following seasons keep up? I understand at least the Hotel is great.

The first one I think is the best, but I also enjoyed Asylum and Coven - Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson are great in those. Freakshow, unfortunately, is as horrid as people say.

Nightbird

Got myself Netflix a few days ago to use on the WiiU.
It's sooo good! I can't believe I was thinking about using Amazon Prime Video. Netflix has such a great Library. I am now currently catching up on the walking dead, and will probably start watching Breaking Bad and American Horror Story after that.

The only bummer is that Game of Thrones is not available on Netflix, since I was hoping for catching up on that too.

Question: are there any must-watch titles you can recommend? (Germany here)

OraleeWey

It's sooo good! I can't believe I was thinking about using Amazon Prime Video. Netflix has such a great Library. I am now currently catching up on the walking dead, and will probably start watching Breaking Bad and American Horror Story after that.

The only bummer is that Game of Thrones is not available on Netflix, since I was hoping for catching up on that too.

Series;
DEXTER
LOST
PRISON BREAK

I recommend LOST next after what ever you're watching now.

I hope they're available on Germany.

Nyx

Watched What we do in the Shadows on Netflix UK, had me in tears!

Especially the first 30 minutes were hilarious, after getting used to the 'mockumentary' novelty I laughed less than before but the movie still had lots of fun bits till the end.

Definitely recommended!

tumblr_nntx1v4RzP1u4mwilo1_r1_400.gif

Tommyhawk

How about Fargo (S1+2), Penny Dreadful (S1+2) and Hannibal (S1+2; S3 is not on the German Netflix yet).

tchocky

Films

Godfather and Godfather Part II
Memento
Amelie
Oldboy
Once Upon A Time In America
Pans Labyrinth
Three Colours Trilogy (Red, Blue and White)

TV

Hannibal
The Americans
Lie To Me
Deadwood
Life On Mars (UK)

Xater

Bettet Call Saul, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Penny Dreadful, Fargo, Making a Murderer

Nightbird

Films

Godfather and Godfather Part II
Memento
Amelie
Oldboy
Once Upon A Time In America
Pans Labyrinth
Three Colours Trilogy (Red, Blue and White)

TV

Hannibal
The Americans
Lie To Me
Deadwood
Life On Mars (UK)

Bettet Call Saul, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Penny Dreadful, Fargo, Making a Murderer

Series;
DEXTER
LOST
PRISON BREAK

I recommend LOST next after what ever you're watching now.

I hope they're available on Germany.

How about Fargo (S1+2), Penny Dreadful (S1+2) and Hannibal (S1+2; S3 is not on the German Netflix yet).

Wow, that's quite a lot!
Thanks guys! :)

El Topo

I don't think there is such a thing as a must-watch title. There are plenty of interesting and good titles, but that doesn't mean that they'll appeal to you. For example I really like Dead Like Me, a wonderful show by Bryan Fuller, but it's unquestionably uneven. On the other hand Rectify is a great drama, but it just wasn't for me. If I had to give a single recommendation, I'd probably recommend Orphan Black, if only for its great first season.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Alpha and Omega 2-3 (Family)
Bratz: Go to Paris, Fairy Tales, Sleep-Over Adventure, Friendship is Always in Style, Pampered Petz, Super Babyz (Kids)
Care Bears: Journey of Joke-a-Lot (Kids)
Cheatin' (Romantic, Comedy, Animation)
Lalaloopsy Girls: Welcome to LALA Prep School (Kids)
My Father's Guests (Comedy)
Serenity (SciFi)
The Last Survivors (Action, SciFi)
The Sparticle Mystery Season 2 (TV, Kids)
Z Nation Season 2 (TV, Action, Drama)

Hong Kong:

American Experience: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Henry Ford, The Amish, The Poisoner's Handbook (TV, Documentary)

Ken Burns: The War, The West, Prohibition, The Civil War, The Roosevelts (TV, Documentary)

Nova: Ben Franklin's Balloons, First Air War, First Man on the Moon, Ground Zero Supertower, Killer Landslides, Megastorm Aftermath, Mind of a Rampage Killer, Rise of the Drones, Rise of the Hackers, Surviving Ebola, Vaccines, Why Planes Vanish (TV, Documentary)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Bunch of release dates.

Get ready for some serious box-set binging, because Netflix has just organised our TV viewing for 2016.

Baz Luhrmann's The Get Down is one of a host of programmes that have been given release dates by the streaming giant. The first six episodes of the music-driven drama, starring Justice Smith, Jimmy Smits and Giancarlo Esposito, will drop on August 12 at 12.01am PT.

Meanwhile, the second season of Grace and Frankie will be released on May 6 at 12.01am PT. Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin return as the two women whose lives are turned upside-down when their husbands reveal they are gay and leave them for each other.

Comedies Flaked and The Ranch will premiere on March 11 at 12.01am PT and April 1 at 12.01am PT, respectively. The Ranch has been split into two sets of ten episodes, with the first ten to air in April.

Flaked stars Will Arnett as Chip, who falls for the object of his best friend's fascination. The eight-episode series was co-created and co-written by Arnett and Mark Chappell. Meanwhile, The Ranch sees Ashton Kutcher reunited with Two and a Half Men writers Don Reo and Jim Patterson.

On May 5 at 12.01am CET, eight-part French drama Marseille premieres. Focusing on the race for Mayor in the eponymous city, it stars Gérard Depardieu, Benoît Magimel and Géraldine Pailhas.

The disappearance of a young boy is the focus of eight-part supernatural drama Stranger Things, which drops on July 15 at 12.01am PT. Starring Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Natalia Dyer and Matthew Modine, it has been written and directed by Matt and Ross Duffer.

And Netflix hasn't forgotten the little ones either, setting release dates for three younger-skewing shows.

Lost & Found Music Studios airs from April 1 at 12.01am PT, animated series Kong: King of the Apes from Avi Arad drops on April 15 at 12.01am PT and, for preschoolers, The Jim Henson Company's Word Party premieres on June 3 at 12.01am PT.

Netflix has also announced the release dates for Orange is the New Black season four and the second season of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, as well as revealing that Jessica Jones will return for a second season.

Orange is June 17th.
Kimmy is April 15th.

addik

Daaaaamn, was hoping that Kimmy would drop by March, but I totally expected April since they've been quiet about it, and they already have House of Cards on March.

I am soooo hyped for The Get Down, much more than the other Netflix originals. I wonder why they're showing only the first part of the series then?

JJ Season 2. J'approve.

Mimosa97

Daaaaamn, was hoping that Kimmy would drop by March, but I totally expected April since they've been quiet about it, and they already have House of Cards on March.

I am soooo hyped for The Get Down, much more than the other Netflix originals. I wonder why they're showing only the first part of the series then?

JJ Season 2. J'approuve.

Ftfy

Would I like JJ if I thought Daredevil was boring as fuck and couldn't finish the season ?

velociraptor

So what is good on Netflix?

I liked Daredevil. I also liked Marco Polo.

Also, any new movies (eg 2013/2014/2015 releases) that are good/half-good?

tomtom94

So what is good on Netflix?

I liked Daredevil. I also liked Marco Polo.

Also, any new movies (eg 2013/2014/2015 releases) that are good/half-good?

If you liked Daredevil you owe it to yourself to check out Jessica Jones, it's a lot less action-oriented than Daredevil but should have enough similarities.

In terms of movies... that's more something other people in this thread will be able to help you with. But suffice it to say there will probably be quite a few no matter what region you're in.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just finished Master of None. Went in with pretty low expectations, but I loved it. To the point where I was bummed out it ended so soon. I wouldn't have minded a couple more eps. Some episode formats/ideas were really good, like the one with the parent flashbacks or the one where it's nothing but Dev and Rachel in the appartment.

RedAssedApe

Banned
started watching sword art online...not sure why as i'm not into mmos. the vr aspect intrigues me though...maybe cuz all the occulus and ps vr stuff launching soon lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Netflix added 'Cartel Land' today, which was nominated for Best Documentary Feature at this year's Oscars. Netflix also has two of the other nominees in 'What Happened, Miss Simone?' and 'Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom'.

So.

Go Netflix!

(now add 'Amy' and 'The Look of Silence' kthx)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Happened across HBO Canada's series Sensitive Skin this week, burned through all six episodes very quickly. It's funny, tragic, very well-acted -- lord knows I adore Don McKellar, and Elliot Gould and Colm Feore make a number a great little appearances throughout -- and man, is this show gorgeous to look at. Was pleased to find out a second season is in the works for this year.

Tempted to check out the British original, but I'm not sure how faithful this remake is, so I don't want to risk diluting my enjoyment of future episodes.

tomtom94

Netflix added 'Cartel Land' today, which was nominated for Best Documentary Feature at this year's Oscars. Netflix also has two of the other nominees in 'What Happened, Miss Simone?' and 'Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom'.

So.

Go Netflix!

(now add 'Amy' and 'The Look of Silence' kthx)

It's entirely plausible that in a couple of years all the nominations for Best Documentary will be produced by Netflix, Amazon and HBO. They not only have the viewership that documentary film-makers want to get on their services, but being funded by subscribers means they can largely be free from editorial oversight, too.

To be honest if Netflix is going to tempt people out of the cinema, documentaries are probably where that will start happening.

brawly

Netflix Australia is unusable for me. It won't go past 480p and most of the time stays below that.

Anyone else? Every other region is fine. This has been a thing for me for quite some time btw.

Xater

Netflix Australia is unusable for me. It won't go past 480p and most of the time stays below that.

Anyone else? Everything else is fine. This has been a thing for me for quite some time btw.

I had the same issue with Netflix UK recently, meanwhile US and Germany was fine.

kuppy

Don't know if you already have it set that way or how much of a difference it actually makes, but in the webpage settings you can define the player to only stream at best quality.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's entirely plausible that in a couple of years all the nominations for Best Documentary will be produced by Netflix, Amazon and HBO. They not only have the viewership that documentary film-makers want to get on their services, but being funded by subscribers means they can largely be free from editorial oversight, too.

To be honest if Netflix is going to tempt people out of the cinema, documentaries are probably where that will start happening.

I have to say that I'd be okay with that. I love documentaries and think it's awesome that Netflix does too.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Ayanda and the Mechanic (Indie, Drama)
Beating Again Season 1 (TV, Drama, Comedy, Foreign)
Can We Get Married? Season 1 (TV, Drama, Comedy, Foreign)
Cartel Land (Documentary, Crime)
Out of My Hand (Indie, Drama)
The Cut (Drama, Foreign)
This is My Love Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)

Canada:

Occupied Season 1 (TV, Drama)
The Wolfpack (Documentary)

UK:

Black Lagoon Season 1 (Anime)
Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail Season 1 (Anime)
Tenkai Knights Season 1 (Anime)

Japan:

Ajin Season 1 (Anime)

Spain:

Transcendence (Thriller, SciFi)

Portugal:

The Lego Movie (Family)

Mexico:

The Gift (Thriller)

Nyx

Watched Cartel Land last night, another great documentary.

I'm pro drugs but what is happening in Mexico is really haunting.

Cappa

Banned
Does anyone know how to search films with Chinese subtitles? I found the option for subs but the languages available from the drop down did not include Chinese.

I know for certain some films have Chinese subs but I'm unable to find any way to get a list

Top Bottom