• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Slacker

Anyone try the Chelsea Handler show? I started the marriage episode and found it pretty uninteresting, but admit I didn't give it much of a chance. Anyone know if it's worthwhile?

Coming and going in February. If you want to see Doctor Who, The Naked Gun, and the current offerings of Pokemon (though we're getting new stuff), see it now.

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 1

A Picture of You (2014)
Armageddon (1998)
Better Call Saul: Season 1
Charlie’s Angels (2000)
Collateral Damage (2002)
Cruel Intentions (1999)
A Faster Horse (2015)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Game Face (2015)
Jennifer 8 (1992)
Johnny English (2003)
The Little Engine That Could (2011)
The Lizzie Borden Chronicles: Season 1
Losing Isaiah (1995)
Masha’s Tales: Season 1
My Side of the Mountain (1969)
Para Elisa (2012)
Pokemon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction (2014)
Pokemon: XY: Season 1
Scooby-Doo (2002)
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004)
Sin City (2005)
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
Stardust (2007)
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)
Teen Witch (1989)
Tin Man: “Search for the Emerald” (2007)
The Year Dolly Parton Was My Mom (2011)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 2

Land Before Time: XIV: Journey of the Brave (2016)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 3

I Love You Phillip Morris (2009)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 4

Love (2015)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 5

Care Bears & Cousins: Season 2 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Hannibal Buress: Comedy Camisado — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Mad Men: Season 7: Part 2
Turbo: F.A.S.T.: Season 3 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 6

Lila & Eve (2015)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 10

Dope (2015)
The Girl in the Book (2015)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 13

The Face of Love (2013)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 15

Open Season (2006)
XXY (2007)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 16

Asthma (2015)
Atonement (2007)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 17

The Returned: Season 2

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 19

Cooked: Season 1 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Love: Season 1 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 22

3rd World Cops 2 (2015)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 23

Bare (2015)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 24

Marvel Super Hero Adventures: Frost Fight! (2015)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 26

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny (2016)– NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Fuller House: Season 1 — NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Theo Von (2016) — NETFLIX ORIGINAL

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 27

Finding Vivian Maier (2013)

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 29

Ashes and Embers (1982)

LAST CALL

See below for a selection of titles that will be rotating off the service in February.

LEAVING FEBRUARY 1

Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein (1999)
Asylum (2005)
Bad Santa (2003)
Benny and Joon (1993)
Big Fish (2003)
Blue Crush (2002)
Classic Doctor Who: Collections 1-18
Crocodile Dundee 2 (1988)
The Dancer Upstairs (2002)
Daylight (1996)
Doctor Who: Season 1-8
The Firm (1993)
Fletch (1985)
Gifted Hands (2009)
Gothika (2003)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
The Naked Gun (1988)
Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult (1994)
Rain Man (1988)
Ray (2004)
Secrets and Lies: Season 1
Sorority Row (2009)
The Terminator (1984)
Terms of Endearment (1983)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 2

Pokémon the Movie: Black & White: BW Adventures in Unova and Beyond (2013)
Pokémon the Movie: Black: Victini and Reshiram (2011)
Pokémon the Movie: Genesect and the Legend Awakened (2013)
Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. The Sword of Justice (2012)
Pokémon the Movie: White: Victini and Zekrom (2011)
Pokémon: Black & White: Seasons 1-2
Pokémon: Indigo League: Season 2

LEAVING FEBRUARY 3

Bottle Shock (2008)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 7

Compliance (2012)
Jack & Diane (2012)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 11

Bridezillas: Season 10
Stephen King’s Bag of Bones (2011)
United 93 (2006)
Were the World Mine (2008)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 13

The Fourth Kind (2009)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 15

Kitten Party (2010)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 16

The Pitch: Season 2

LEAVING FEBRUARY 17

Violet & Daisy (2011)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 19

North Sea Texas (2011)
Problem Child: Leslie Jones (2009)
Side by Side (2012)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 21

Jesus Camp (2006)
Marriage Boot Camp: Bridezillas: Season 1
Nobody Walks (2012)
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (2012)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 24

Chicagoland: Season 1
Death Row Stories: Season 1.

LEAVING FEBRUARY 25

The Guild: 1 Season

LEAVING FEBRUARY 27

Crooked Arrows (2012)
Halloween: Resurrection (2002)

LEAVING FEBRUARY 28

Sabrina, The Animated Series: Season 1-2
The Sea Inside (2004)
Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Series

tomtom94

Why is Doctor Who leaving Netflix? WTF

Assuming it's actually leaving, and not just the BBC playing hardball before they renew it, probably because the BBC have launched their own online store and they want to see if they can make more money than they would just licensing it to Netflix.

I watched Olympus Has Fallen earlier today. What a dumb, dumb movie. Enjoyable, but dumb.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Noticed that SW: Clone Wars is finally up in Belgium... Took long enough, already watched everything on blu

Finished up Kimmy Schmidt yesterday, and I didn't expect this going in, but I'm actually looking forward to the second season. Pleasantly surprised.

And the trailer for Apatow's new show Love looks great! Really can't wait for that one.

Mindwipe

Assuming it's actually leaving, and not just the BBC playing hardball before they renew it, probably because the BBC have launched their own online store and they want to see if they can make more money than they would just licensing it to Netflix.

The BBC Trust regulatory approval process for the BBC Store explicitly prevents the BBC from offering it on an exclusive basis because of European state aid law, so its definitely not that.

Also EST and SVOD windows aren't related and don't clash.

It's entirely due to either Netflix not wanting to renew or one or both sides not agreeing on the value.

Anyone try the Chelsea Handler show? I started the marriage episode and found it pretty uninteresting, but admit I didn't give it much of a chance. Anyone know if it's worthwhile?

I watched the episodes about race and drugs.
The race episode is powerful stuff and she lands some truly impressive interviews with Al Sharpton and Shimon Peres.
The breadth of ethnic groups covered is pretty legit too, Handler put work in: Salvadorans in LA, a Minuteman at the Mexican border, a white supremacist in Ohio, an Israeli policeman in the West Bank, spokespeople from black/Asian American/Native American/Hispanic American/Jewish American interest groups....

First time I heard of this woman and her jokes, she pissed me the fuck off, but her documentaries helped me understand where shes coming from and why her perspective is pretty legitimate. She has some really moving scenes in this episode with parents of the black dude in south carolina shot in the back by a cop and a Native American on an Indian reserve.
And she makes a few white pro Confederate ("the war was over states rights!") and slavery apologists ("black people preferred the plantations!)"in the deep South look really ignorant and disingenuous, without much effort.

The drug episode isnt as good as the race one, but its interesting because of how forthcoming and honest Handler is about her recreational drug use and high functioning alcoholism.
It helps that I find her physically attractive: though I was surprised she was only 40, you can definitely tell the drugs she's done have aged her face and the age lines around her eyes about 5 or 6 years.

last edit: Ive lately thought of Al Sharpton as a huckster and opportunist who is more about self promotion that pro black causes, but in his one on one interview in this, he comes across as an earnest and no bullshit kind of guy. He says what he means and means what he says and doesnt mince words at all. As many missteps as this guy has had over the years, his anti-fan club makes you forget how razor sharp and insightful he is when he talks about institutional race problems.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm through three episodes of Fargo. Hasn't really caught me as much as I thought it would. Billy Bob's character is the main reason I'm watching it.

Nyx

I binged the first season of Gotham finally and really enjoyed it.

It's over the top in everything (characters, action, dialogue) but somehow it just clicks!
The Penguin definitely is my fav character.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Ever After High Season Spring Unsprung, Way Too Wonderland, Welcome to Ever After High (TV, Kids)
From Dusk Till Dawn Season 2 (TV, Action, Fantasy)
Maz Jobrani: Brown and Friendly (Standup)
Turbo Kid (Action, SciFi)

Canada:

Breathe (Drama)

UK:

Strange Empire Season 1 (TV, Action)

Germany:

18-Year-Old Virgin (Indie, Comedy)
40 Days and Nights (Action)
Bernie (Indie, Comedy)
The Ultimate Gift (Indie, Drama)

Mexico:

Black Sails Season 2 (TV, Action)
Brain Games Season 4 (TV, Science)
Scam City Season 1-2 (TV, Travel)
Sucker Punch (Action, SciFi)

Netherlands:

Bad Words (Indie, Comedy)
Mr. Magoo (Family)
The Purge: Anarchy (Thriller)

So yeah, I've been meaning to watch Doctor Who, looks like I shouldn't have dragged my feet.

But hey, Teen Witch is being added!

I saw that movie when I was a kid in the early 90s and I still have the fucking chorus in my head from the opening song.

brawly

I wish there was a way to hide stuff completely. Movies that I have on bluray showing up in the "watch again" section is a bit anmoying.

Finished Friday Night Lights.

What a great show. Amazing job by Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton, among many others.

I've watched it three times so far. Needless to say I like it quite a bit.

For in an argument with a coworker about "Netflix and chill.". They didn't know it was a euphemism and we're insistent that a 3rd grader made it up for an essay.

Tesseract

Banned
hey guys, how do i tell if what i'm watching is hd?

watching xfiles, using chrome

visually it's obviously hd, but there's no indicator ...

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Ripper Street Season 3 (TV, Drama)

Canada:

Inside Out (Family)
Stay Awhile (Documentary, Social)

UK:

Killer: Journal of Murder (Drama)
Once Upon a Time in American (Drama, Crime)
Play it Again, Sam (Romantic, Comedy)
Poltergeist ('15, Horror, Supernatural)
The Man Who Could Cheat Death (SciFi)
The Ten Commandments (Drama)

Japan:

The Killing Season 4 (TV, Drama, Crime)

France:

Legend (Action, Fantasy)
Man on Fire (Action, Thriller)
New York Minute (Family)

Germany:

Interview with the Vampire (Horror)

Australia:

Red vs Blue Season 1 (TV, Comedy)

Mexico:

VIPs (Drama, Foreign)

Sweden:

Casablanca (Drama, Romantic)
DC's Legends of Tomorrow Season 1 (TV, Action)
Pee-wee's Big Adventure (Family)

Milchmann

hey guys, how do i tell if what i'm watching is hd?

watching xfiles, using chrome

visually it's obviously hd, but there's no indicator ...

Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D and you get a screen with a lot of stats. The first line in the fourth block is "Playing bitrate" with the current bitrate and resolution. Note that in Chrome the maximum bitrate is 3000 kbit/s, which is only 720p.

Just finished watching "Timer." It was a cute little romantic comedy with sci-fi elements. Legitimately laughed now and then, it's got a good script. Probably a good date movie (it's about a clock on your wrist that tells you when you meet the "one"), wish I had the missus over to watch it.

Netflix has a neverevending pile of low budget sci-fi films with good writing and I'm in heaven.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Can someone please educate me as to the resolution Netflix uses for its content? I read that the maximum one can attain is 720p, with varying resolutions for every show/movie/cartoon. Is this true? I've been experiencing highly varying results while watching the stuff.

Mindwipe

Can someone please educate me as to the resolution Netflix uses for its content? I read that the maximum one can attain is 720p, with varying resolutions for every show/movie/cartoon. Is this true? I've been experiencing highly varying results while watching the stuff.

It depends on the device you're watching on.

In a PC browser the max is 720p, unless you're using the browser produced by the OS vendor for that platform with the HTML5 DRM that enables Netflix to use the OS level DRM systems that a plugin or third party browser doesn't have access to.

So basically - Edge on Windows 10, Safari on OSX and Chrome on ChromeOS get 1080p, but say Chrome on Windows doesn't. The Windows 8/10 Netflix app also gets 1080p.

Most modern devices get 1080p. Android devices require Level 1 Widevine support, but that was introduced with the 2013 Nexus 7 so most devices nowadays do (at least ones that shipped with Google Play Services).

The vast majority of integrated TVs and set top boxes get full HD. If a show wasn't made in HD obviously you can't get it in HD.

Frozen Planet is up for US.

0mmNepJ.jpg

Gonna watch the shit out of this. I love BBC nature docs.

Top Bottom