• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

NH Apache

Banned
The Last Kingdom is a goddamn masterpiece, IMO.

872 AD England and then shit goes down is how I would describe it. Beautifully shot and highly engaging. Cannot wait for the next season.

I've watched fringe at least 3 separate times. Once while it was being broadcast. And twice on netflix.

My favorite quote:

Captive Observer: I think of you as I would an ant colony as I pass by it. I don't care about the workings of the colony, why one ant is mad at or another or why one ant would kill another or not. To me, it is insignificant. And like an ant colony, you are oblivious to your limitations. You think the black over your head is dark skies... when it is really our shoe.

tomtom94

Fringe is apparently leaving UK Netflix soon. Which is a bit of a shame but then I have had three years to watch it, I just kept forgetting.

Tall4Life

I got Netflix for the first time this month, and holy shit I've been missing out. I've mostly watched Friends (done with the first 3 seasons), Boondocks, Bob Ross, and Bojack. It wasn't feasible to get it before because I had a data cap, but now I don't, so this is awesome.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added over the weekend:

BoJack Horseman Season 3 (TV, Comedy, Netflix Original)
Border Security: Canada's Front Line Season 1 (TV, Reality)
Degrassi: Next Class Season 2 (TV, Drama, Netflix Original)
Internet Famous (Comedy, Satire)
My All American (Drama, Sports)
Popples Season 3 (TV, Kids, Netflix Original)
The Wave (Action, Foreign)

El Topo

Wow, there's practically nothing good next month. I do want to see An Inconvenient Truth though.

The Fast and the Furious
In the Shadow of the Moon
NCIS: Season 13
Sleepy Hollow
The Little Prince (!!!)
St. Vincent
No Country for Old Men
The Road
Blue Is the Warmest Color
Once Upon a Time: Season 5
The Get Down: Part 1

It's not mindblowing, but there is some okay stuff.

berzeli

Banned
Panama Papers Movie Set At Netflix; John Wells Teams With Journos Who Broke Story
Netflix has teamed with John Wells Productions to mount a feature film about the Panama Papers, the largest single leak of data in government and corporate history. They have aligned with German investigative journalists Frederik Obermaier and Bastian Obermayer, who broke the story and led the team that uncovered The Panama Papers. Netflix has acquired their book, Panama Papers: Breaking The Story Of How The World’s Rich and Powerful Hide Their Money.
Doesn't say who will write and direct the film, outside of mentions that the journalists will help "shape the film".

And well there is this:
This is the second major movie deal to come together on the Panama Papers. Steven Soderbergh will direct and Scott Z. Burns will write a film based on Secrecy World, an upcoming book that Pulitzer-winning journalist Jake Bernstein is writing for Henry Holt and Company

Susurrus

Wife and I just finished up watching The Returned (US Version) as a Netflix Original and were moderately enjoying it. Just read that the original owners, A&E, cancelled it.

Sucks that it ended on a cliffhanger ending. Hopefully Netflix will get full rights and renew it for season 2.

Also, it is crazy to me that it is considered "Netflix Original" when it is just Netflix buying the rights for overseas. We're also watching Scream season 2's weekly release, which is the same way, licensed from MTV.

berzeli

Banned
Wife and I just finished up watching The Returned (US Version) as a Netflix Original and were moderately enjoying it. Just read that the original owners, A&E, cancelled it.

Sucks that it ended on a cliffhanger ending. Hopefully Netflix will get full rights and renew it for season 2.

Also, it is crazy to me that it is considered "Netflix Original" when it is just Netflix buying the rights for overseas. We're also watching Scream season 2's weekly release, which is the same way, licensed from MTV.

1. Why would you watch the US version? It is garbage.
2. Netflix calls (nearly) everything they have exclusive rights to in a region for Netflix original. Original is just a synonym for exclusive.
3. The Returned was a worse show than Les Revenants in every single aspect.
4. The show wasn't successful critically or in terms of viewership, season 2 (thankfully) isn't happening.
5. Just watch the (great) French original show which did get a second season.
5. Seriously though, fuck the US version of The Returned. It is just an abject failure.

Susurrus

1. Why would you watch the US version? It is garbage.
2. Netflix calls (nearly) everything they have exclusive rights to in a region for Netflix original. Original is just a synonym for exclusive.
3. The Returned was a worse show than Les Revenants in every single aspect.
4. The show wasn't successful critically or in terms of viewership, season 2 (thankfully) isn't happening.
5. Just watch the (great) French original show which did get a second season.
5. Seriously though, fuck the US version of The Returned. It is just an abject failure.

French version doesn't have Japanese subtitles (and even if it did, I doubt it could have both Japanese and English simultaneously). I watch shows w/ my wife, and while she knows English, the last thing you want to do when binge watching a show to relax for the night is try to follow it in another language, so she gets bored and loses interest. Fortunately, most Netflix Originals and a few other shows they have work out for us so we can watch English w/ Japanese subtitles or vice versa.

And like I said, we moderately enjoyed it.

EDIT: Just found out, even if I want to watch the French version, since I'm using Netflix in Germany, my only subtitle option for this show is German, which I don't understand enough.

French version doesn't have Japanese subtitles (and even if it did, I doubt it could have both Japanese and English simultaneously). I watch shows w/ my wife, and while she knows English, the last thing you want to do when binge watching a show to relax for the night is try to follow it in another language, so she gets bored and loses interest. Fortunately, most Netflix Originals and a few other shows they have work out for us so we can watch English w/ Japanese subtitles or vice versa.

And like I said, we moderately enjoyed it.

Same here. Not interesting in watching stuff with subtitles. I'd actually have to pay attention the whole time!

Bummed to hear that the US version doesn't have a 2nd season. My wife and I just finished watching S1 and moderately enjoyed it. Not so much that I'm going to freak out that it isn't coming back. Oh well.

tomtom94

Netflix acquires rights to ALL future seasons of American Crime Story.

The streaming company has signed a mega licensing deal with 20th Century Fox Television to become the only place to view the breakout hit - as well as ALL future seasons of American Crime Story - online.

Every Netflix region except Canada (sorry, Canada) can relive Selma Blair as Kris Kardashian, Cuba Gooding Jr stuffing his hands in tiny gloves, and Sarah Paulson's numerous hairstyles in The People v OJ Simpson from 2017.

Bit of a gamble if the later seasons turn out bad, but take this as a recommendation to watch the first series - it's very good.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Strange Course of Events (Drama, Foreign)
Baba Joon (Drama, Foreign)
High Strung (Romantic, Drama)
Rise of the Legend (Action, Foreign)
The Black Jacket (Documentary, Social)
They're Watching (Horror, Comedy)
Tricked (Drama, Romantic, Foreign)

Well I did it. I watched Dear Zachary and it was the most heart wrenching thing I've ever witnessed. Can't say I'd ever recommend it to anyone because it has emotionally destroyed me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Home Season 1 (TV, Kids, Netflix Original)
Kelly & Cal (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
Last Chance U Season 1 (TV, Documentary, Sports, Netflix Original)
Lego Bionicle: The Journey to One Season 1 (TV, Kids, Netflix Original)
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 6 (TV, Kids, Speech Writers)
Tallulah (Drama, Netflix Original)
Wentworth Season 4 (TV, Drama)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Hit Record on TV with Joseph Gordon-Levitt Season 2 (TV, Comedy)

Well I did it. I watched Dear Zachary and it was the most heart wrenching thing I've ever witnessed. Can't say I'd ever recommend it to anyone because it has emotionally destroyed me.

One of the most powerful and emotionally wrecking documentary I have ever seen. There is such a mixture of sadness and anger are watching it.

I finished watching this a few days ago. Thanks for that suggestion man, it was an enjoyable show. Most of the main characters were very likeable.

No problem! It was a fun little show.

Watching Jane the Virgin, all of a sudden on S2E3 there are no subtitles for when anybody speaks in Spanish. Every other episode has it automatically.

If I want subtitles on this ep, I have to turn subtitles on for everything. Seems so silly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oooh Portuguese Netflix added Tropic Thunder, Ive been wanting to rewatch it badly the last couple of weeks.

they also added all the MI movies, I smell a marathon.

tv shows wise the only notable one was The B in apartment 23 which I heard isnt very good

El Topo

oooh Portuguese Netflix added Tropic Thunder, Ive been wanting to rewatch it badly the last couple of weeks.

they also added all the MI movies, I smell a marathon.

tv shows wise the only notable one was The B in apartment 23 which I heard isnt very good

Whoever told you that is a dirty, filthy liar.

Top Bottom