• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
One of my all time favorites. Highly underrated. If you haven't seen it, watch it! De Niro and Ed Norton are arguably at their best in this movie.

How Did This Get Made? now has to do this movie!

I haven't seen it in awhile, but I remember liking it. De Niro was top notch.

Super Troopers? Hell Yeah.

One of the best opening scenes ever. Its been far too long since I last watched it.

Nizz

I've been watching Alias for the first time.

Season 1 is pretty good, almost done with it.
I stopped watching this when it originally aired around the fourth season I think. But I have it queued up, just haven't gotten to it yet.

On the other hand, although I've only watched the pilot and the second episode (hardly time to really get a feel for the show) first impressions of Fringe are really good. I have no idea how I never watched this show before. It's a little like X-Files (which I loved) and I like all the characters so far.

I just subscribed to netflix. Came here hoping to see some recommendations. Looks like mostly there is just posts on what films have been added/removed.

Well I watched two films last night. The first one was Get the Gringo. I thought it was really entertaining. But I'm a fan of Mel Gibson. He's pretty badass in the film.

The second film I watched was another one set in Mexico: El Enfierno. I didn't like it.

Nah, there's more to it than that. It just has it's highs and lows of discussion and recommendations. Regardless though, GK88 keeps us all up to date on what is going on with Netflix, which I'm grateful for.

---

I would like to go on record and recommend 'A Boy and His Dog' post apocalyptic movie, which is basically the inspiration behind Fallout as far as I can tell. Was expecting very little going in, but came away glad to have seen it.

I've been watching Alias for the first time.

Season 1 is pretty good, almost done with it.

Watched it all. Enjoyed it for the most part, but by the end was basically just watching it because I had already invested my time watching the previous seasons. Basically, this was a forewarning to the atypical JJ Abrams bullcrap we all have to put up with today - great premise, interesting mythos, but too drawn out and at times very directionless/trading on past glory.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
UK update:

Charlie's Angels
Desperado
Dogtown and the Zboys
Eight Crazy Nights
Expendables
Halloween: H2O 6/H2O
Hollow Man
Jerry Maguire
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Musketeer
She's All That
Smokey and the Bandit
Starsky & Hutch

Dogtown and the Zboys is a nice little movie. Monty is a must watch. Desperado is a fantastic action flick. Plus it has Salma Hayek.

Open to a comedy suggestion or two for today.

I'm putting a bunch because I don't know what you've already seen.

Scrubs
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Parks and Recreation
The Office (US)
Community
How I Met Your Mother
Arrested Devleopment
Psych
30 Rock
That 70's Show

or if you meant movies

Liar Liar
The Dictator
Goon
Scary Movie
Rat Race
Tommy Boy
Meet The Parents
any of the Jackass movies
Super Troopers

I'm putting a bunch because I don't know what you've already seen.

Scrubs
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Parks and Recreation
The Office (US)
Community
How I Met Your Mother
Arrested Devleopment
Psych
30 Rock
That 70's Show

or if you meant movies

Liar Liar
The Dictator
Goon
Scary Movie
Rat Race
Tommy Boy
Meet The Parents
any of the Jackass movies
Super Troopers

Good recommendations. I watched Super Troopers today and enjoyed it way more than I anticipated I would. I watched The Dictator last week and enjoyed that too. Thanks for these.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So (thanks to UK) I have been watching 'Modern Family' recently, and I'm really digging it. The characters are all great and likeable. The show is well-written too. It has lived up to its praise. Give it a shot if you haven't (or could), you won't regret it.

Kaladin

So (thanks to UK) I have been watching 'Modern Family' recently, and I'm really digging it. The characters are all great and likeable. The show is well-written too. It has lived up to its praise. Give it a shot if you haven't (or could), you won't regret it.

I've been wanting that to come to Netflix.

I don't mind that about Netflix. Bouncing between UK and US Selection is great, as US Netflix seems to have a ton of TV shows, while UK Netflix has a ton of movies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I've been wanting that to come to Netflix.

Really wish the movie selection was better. Seem to only be watching tv shows lately

The extra $5 for Unblock has been worth it. The only thing it is a pain in the butt keeping track of everything because you can't Q up stuff. But other than that, it has been a god send.

I don't mind that about Netflix. Bouncing between UK and US Selection is great, as US Netflix seems to have a ton of TV shows, while UK Netflix has a ton of movies.

I think Sweden is where its at for movies.

Really wish the movie selection was better. Seem to only be watching tv shows lately
It's been like that forawhile for me, occasionally I'll see a movie I want to watch. Or I'll check out the other regions.

Netflix is really just about the tv shows for me

Outside of clicking on a program/movie I'm interested in and letting it play for a second or two, I have no other idea for 'queuing' up items.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
There's gotta be some extension or plugin that could make this possible.

It's really annoying.

Outside of clicking on a program/movie I'm interested in and letting it play for a second or two, I have no other idea for 'queuing' up items.

What I have done is bookmarked the movie/show, and placed it into a folder labeled from whatever region its from. Easiest solution for me.

Jimothy

I've discovered a ton of great foreign films during the last week or so. Mesrine Parts 1 and 2, Carlos, and Tell No One are the best films I've watched in a very long time.

This. (It's not mine)

netflix-queue-big.jpg

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
That's surprising...I didn't know it was coming out on BR/DVD, and the fact that they would feature it.

Kaladin

That's surprising...I didn't know it was coming out on BR/DVD, and the fact that they would feature it.

It's out June 11th. The ad is also alongside an announcement touting a new deal for Amazon Prime streaming with Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., MTV and Comedy Central.

Nelo Ice

Banned
You guys know how Amazon likes to advertise things on their drop down menus? Well, this appeared today....

Speaking of which so guess this is why south park, nick shows etc are gone.

More Prime Instant Video exclusives are headed your way – this time for kids. We’ve just completed an agreement with Viacom to include more than 250 TV seasons (more than 3,900 episodes) from Nick Jr., Nickelodeon, MTV and Comedy Central.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
It's out June 11th. The ad is also alongside an announcement touting a new deal for Amazon Prime streaming with Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., MTV and Comedy Central.

I was just reading this a few minutes ago. Netflix made a huge mistake.

jakncoke

Banned

Indeed, also all this fracturing is pissing me off

Edit; With the loss of the warner stuff and viacom.. that frees up a lot of cash i bet.. we better be seeing that in new content deals or ima rage

RedAssedApe

Banned
Don't really care about the kids stuff but I guess there are families who do. My nieces binge watch those shows on their ipads like crazy. lol

Is this an Arrested Development reference? :p

jvm

Gamasutra.
Yep. My kids are going to start firing up the PS3 Amazon Video Player instead of Netflix for a while...I wonder what deal Amazon cut that Netflix didn't.

the chris

Yep. My kids are going to start firing up the PS3 Amazon Video Player instead of Netflix for a while...I wonder what deal Amazon cut that Netflix didn't.

Amazon probably just paid an assload of money for exclusive streaming rights for the older seasons. I noticed stuff like Spongebob is still on Hulu but it's only new episodes.

Ronin

I don't know if its been mentioned or maybe I missed something, but weren't a lot of these Disney movies in HD? I was just browsing on PS3 and none of them are now.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Recently saw Pearl Harbor again (Sweden), and man, the love story still sucks. Great action scenes wrapped around a boring love triangle. I would recommend watching it for the Pearl Harbor scene, as I think it is pretty well shot. Just skip to the beginning of it, and pretend that is the start of the movie.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Recently saw Pearl Harbor again (Sweden), and man, the love story still sucks. Great action scenes wrapped around a boring love triangle. I would recommend watching it for the Pearl Harbor scene, as I think it is pretty well shot. Just skip to the beginning of it, and pretend that is the start of the movie.

that love triangle was so dumb.

Indeed, also all this fracturing is pissing me off

Edit; With the loss of the warner stuff and viacom.. that frees up a lot of cash i bet.. we better be seeing that in new content deals or ima rage

Yeah, the fracturing is a pain in the arse. Spreading all the content thin across several different providers isn't what I want. I want to be able to pay 1 platform a decent fee for a ok-good selection. Not several platforms a fee for poor-ok selection.

I know that's common sense, but hey.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, the fracturing is a pain in the arse. Spreading all the content thin across several different providers isn't what I want. I want to be able to pay 1 platform a decent fee for a ok-good selection. Not several platforms a fee for poor-ok selection.

I know that's common sense, but hey.

All that you can do as a consumer is hop between content providers. Move from Netflix to Hulu Plus to Amazon Prime, consuming their content one by one for a few months each before returning and consuming their new fresh content.

Working on my end.

Has anyone watched Falling Skies? I'm three episodes in, and I'm still on the fence with this one.
Wait it's on Netflix? Just started it on Amazon prime, only half way in episode 1. Didn't really pull me in right away like other shows.
If it turns out good I'd like to finish the first two season before s3 starts

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Wait it's on Netflix? Just started it on Amazon prime, only half way in episode 1. Didn't really pull me in right away like other shows.
If it turns out good I'd like to finish the first two season before s3 starts

Sorry, watching on Sweden's stream. Yeah, it didn't pull me in either. But I thought the premise was interesting enough to keep going.

Kaladin

I got maybe near the end of season 1 of Falling Skies before I gave up on it. I know this is the point of the show, but it focuses too much on the human struggle and not enough on the alien occupation. That's kind of the problem with non humanoid aliens who seem to have no interest in communicating.

I think they're trying to change that a bit with the connection with the kids later in season 1, but it's too little too late IMO. I think it is trying to capitalize on how Battlestar Galactica focused on the human struggle, but we always knew what the Cylons were about and eventually the series became as much about them as it was the humans.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I got maybe near the end of season 1 of Falling Skies before I gave up on it. I know this is the point of the show, but it focuses too much on the human struggle and not enough on the alien occupation. That's kind of the problem with non humanoid aliens who seem to have no interest in communicating.

I think they're trying to change that a bit with the connection with the kids later in season 1, but it's too little too late IMO. I think it is trying to capitalize on how Battlestar Galactica focused on the human struggle, but we always knew what the Cylons were about and eventually the series became as much about them as it was the humans.

I was afraid of that since the opening scenes (spoiler? I guess)

when they just quickly jump into this world where aliens have taken over, and explain the situation in 3 minutes. Episodes 2 and 3 have been focusing on getting back his son, and I'm already thinking 'geez, get the kid and move on already.'

Top Bottom