• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Examples pleeeeease.

Batman Begins
Ghostbusters
Taken
Project X
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
All the Martix movies
Tron: Legacy
Collateral
Wrath of the Titans
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Minority Report
Law Abiding Citizen
Kill Bill 1/2
Harry Potter: Deadly Hallows 1
A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas
Horrible Bosses
Martyrs
The Goonies
V (tv series)
Falling Skies (tv)
The Devil's Rejects
Ducktales

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Batman Begins
Ghostbusters
Taken
Project X
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
All the Martix movies
Tron: Legacy
Collateral
Wrath of the Titans
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Minority Report
Law Abiding Citizen
Kill Bill 1/2
Harry Potter: Deadly Hallows 1
A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas
Horrible Bosses
Martyrs
The Goonies
V (tv series)
Falling Skies (tv)
The Devil's Rejects
Ducktales
Can't disagree with you there. There's a few on that list I'd like to see.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Can't disagree with you there. There's a few on that list I'd like to see.

If you are a horror fan:

All the Saw movies
Dawn of the Dead
Freddy vs Jason
Dreamcatcher
Silent Hill
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Strangers
The Messengers
Bride of Chucky
Halloween all of them (remake included)
The Grudge 1/2
30 Days of Night
Final Destination 5

Some more:

Catch Me if You Can
Town
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
The Silence of the Lambs
Godfather
Moon
The Karate Kid (original)
Edward Scissorhands
Children of Men
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Aviator
2001: A Space Odyssey
Serpico
Traffic
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Number45

Just watched Paranorman and it was really really good. Beautiful animation with a great art style, really funny and had some cool twists along the way. I didn't see much talk of this when it came out, but I'd say it's one of the best kids CG films I've ever seen. It was Tangled-level unexpected awesome.
Yep, one of my favourites as well. Really unexpected.

I got fully up to date with Breaking Bad last night. Netflix has no meaning to me any more. :p

Kaladin

Just watched Into The Wild, awesome movie. Kinda reminds me of The Way a bit.

I would easily recommend it if you haven't seen it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Hellgate (Horror, Supernatural)
Bangkok Revenge (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
The Intouchables (Comedy, Drama, Foreign)

Just watched Into The Wild, awesome movie. Kinda reminds me of The Way a bit.

I would easily recommend it if you haven't seen it.

Into the Wild was a great film. I'm a big fan of Emile. I thought he knocked it out of the park.

Kaladin

Season 2 is amazing.

I've been marathoning season 2 today. Don't know why it took me so long to really watch all of Arrested Development. I remember bits and pieces of it from catching an odd episode here and there but had never seen all of the series.

legend166

The annoying thing about Mexico and Brazil is it doesn't seem like there's a way to watch things in English without Spanish/Portuguese subtitles.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The annoying thing about Mexico and Brazil is it doesn't seem like there's a way to watch things in English without Spanish/Portuguese subtitles.

I usually watch shows/movies with subtitles on, so it doesn't bother me. I can see how it can be annoying though. Sweden does the same thing.

So I just got an account 2 days ago to watch Arrested Development's Season 4, and I've gotta say, I'm incrediblt disappointed in Netflix, as a service. I tried searching for some movies to test the library, and after 20 Unavailables in a row (I tried a varied range of stuff, going from classics like City Lights, Metropolis, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Casablanca, Gone With The Wind or The Treasure Of Sierra Madre, to modern blockbusters like Inception, Avengers or Superbad, and all the way through modern classics like Donnie Darko, Se7en, There Will Be Blood or The Departed) I'm completely disappointed... Wasn't it supposed to have almost everything or something? Is it that lacking or did I just get unlucky? oO Only on my 21st search did it produce a result (Intolerance).

It does seem to be somewhat good for documentary shows though, or maybe I got lucky, as my first 3 searches were all there (Seven Up, Cosmos, Blue Planet)... although unfortunately World At War (which I've been dying to see) isn't available.

What gives? Isn't Netflix supposed to be the king of movies? I don't get it. oO

vazel

Banned
There's only so much stuff Netflix can license with your $7.99 subscription. Especially now that the studios know how lucrative the streaming market is. There was a time when Netflix was able to license lots of content for cheap(like the Starzs deal) but those days are over. Lately it seems Netflix has been emphasizing TV shows.

Use InstantWatcher to see new releases. Stuff comes in and out of Netflix all the time.

You are really kind of stuck with whatever they have available. Dunno what you were expecting. Nobody ever said that streaming had "almost everything". I got over that a while ago and have been able to find many hidden gems. There is certainly a high amount of shit movies, but there is a lot of great stuff if you look. For me the amount of amazing TV series available to watch at any moment makes it totally worth it in the end.

Try and browse by genre, and stop dissapointing yourself by searching for movies you want to be there. You might even find something cool you didn't know you wanted.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
You had some high expectations with some of those movies (and some were on streaming, but were taken down over the past year). Netflix is king of tv shows with some good movies here and there for good measure.

If you are willing to shell out an additional $5 for Unblock Us (or any VPN service), you can watch some your searches:

Donnie Darko- Canada/Mexico
There Will Be Blood- Canada/UK/Mexico/Sweden
Superbad- Canada/UK/Mexico
The Departed- Mexico
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- Mexico
Gone With The Wind- Sweden

You are really kind of stuck with whatever they have available. Dunno what you were expecting. Nobody ever said that streaming had "almost everything". I got over that a while ago and have been able to find many hidden gems. There is certainly a high amount of shit movies, but there is a lot of great stuff if you look. For me the amount of amazing TV series available to watch at any moment makes it totally worth it in the end.

Try and browse by genre, and stop dissapointing yourself by searching for movies you want to be there. You might even find something cool you didn't know you wanted.

I guess I just expected more because here in Portugal we have a a similar service that has more stuff than Netflix and is completely free and legal (because loopholes)... and it doesn't even have video ads (yeah, I'm looking at you, Hulu). And since Netflix is such a big name I just kind of expected more.

Basically, by what you guys are saying, count me out as soon as the free month ends. :p I expected alot more emphasis on FLIX, not tv shows. I've seen pretty much every TV show I wanted to (lots and lots of free time these last 3 years).

Whenever a service comes along that has pretty much everything, I'll bite (of course, I expect a mugh higher price, like 30$/month or something), until then I'll stick to my guns. :p
I'm very big on standardization, hate having to use multiple services for the same type of product... (yeah, I hate the gaming industry for making me buy 2 or 3 different consoles every gen if I want in... Fucking hate oligarchies =/ ).

vazel

Banned
'because loopholes'

I smell another allofmp3.com situation.
hiding.gif

You had some high expectations with some of those movies (and some were on streaming, but were taken down over the past year). Netflix is king of tv shows with some good movies here and there for good measure.

If you are willing to shell out an additional $5 for Unblock Us (or any VPN service), you can watch some your searches:

Donnie Darko- Canada/Mexico
There Will Be Blood- Canada/UK/Mexico/Sweden
Superbad- Canada/UK/Mexico
The Departed- Mexico
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- Mexico
Gone With The Wind- Sweden

Wait, what? oO Don't different countries need different accounts (and different payments)?

I'm in Europe, so I'm already using Media Hint anyway (it's free and simpler than other services if you're watching on a PC, which I am).

Wait, what? oO Don't different countries need different accounts (and different payments)?

I'm in Europe, so I'm already using Media Hint anyway (it's free and simpler than other services if you're watching on a PC, which I am).

Not with unblock us they don't.

I also use it on my PC, it works great.

They have a 7 day free trial with no credit card required. Just try it and see if you like it.

'because loopholes'

I smell another allofmp3.com situation.
hiding.gif

Except we're such a small and unimportant country it'll never amount to anything. Seriously, after a ridiculous amount of attempts to close it down, the authorities just stopped caring, they can't do anything, because it's all perfectly legal. Not that I support it, I don't use it because it has hardsubs in Portuguese on everything. But being aware of it made Netflix feel underwhelming as hell.

I pretty much expected Netflix to be Spotify for movies, lol.

Kaladin

You have to think of Netflix as more of an on demand cable network. Sometimes you'll catch things in syndication on the network and sometimes they won't be on there for a while again. It's even better that they're doing new series now....so they're kind of like an A&E or USA.

Not with unblock us they don't.

I also use it on my PC, it works great.

They have a 7 day free trial with no credit card required. Just try it and see if you like it.

I'm living on 600$ a month here, 300$ of which are for rent, I can't exactly afford to keep pilling up these little expenses. I'm affraid disposable income is no longer a reality outside of the G8. =/

You have to think of Netflix as more of an on demand cable network. Sometimes you'll catch things in syndication on the network and sometimes they won't be on there for a while again. It's even better that they're doing new series now....so they're kind of like an A&E or USA.

I'm not saying it's not an awesome service, it is! Especially for such a low price. I just had unrealistic expectations, lol.

You've just reminded me I haven't finished Sandman yet... I'll have to get on it.

I'm living on 600$ a month here, 300$ of which are for rent, I can't exactly afford to keep pilling up these little expenses. I'm affraid disposable income is no longer a reality outside of the G8. =/

Well then just use it for a week for the free trial to watch the movies you want to watch in other regions. There's no way to charge you after the 7 days.

Well then just use it for a week for the free trial to watch the movies you want to watch in other regions. There's no way to charge you after the 7 days.

Oh, no, that was just a library test. I have all of those. I'm huge film buff. That's where most of my money goes (hooray for the second hand market). Plus, I live near a cinematheque, so I pretty much have access to everything already. I'm one of those annoying guys who get all excited about and organize Bela Tarr marathons... I am, however, not one of those pretentious morons who only watch arthouse flicks. I'm just as happy watching the Batman or Back To The Future trilogy as I am watching the Colours trilogy or the Apu trilogy. Too many trilogies in one sentence. Oo

I just got interested in streaming services because I plan on moving to NA soon, and will therefore have to leave my collection behind (probably forever) and seek an alternative... and since I signed up for Arrested Development I thought I might as well test it out.

Kaladin

Netflix added that BBC series The Fall yesterday as promised. With this and Top Of The Lake being added quickly, I have hopes that they will save me $30 and give us Orphan Black soon after the finale this weekend.

Top Bottom