• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

I went in with low expectations and still walked away wanting my time back. The visuals were bad. The acting was somehow even worse.

I thought the fight scene was laughable. Looking at comments on it, people actually enjoyed it? Either they are really huge fans of the game, or I watched a different movie than them.

So yeah, skip this movie.

Yeah, it's bad. I'm a huge fan of the Silent Hill world and not even I can justify giving it any praise. Another terrible movie is Abducted. Forced to Fight isn't much better.

I also watched Bad Kids Go to Hell. It was very mediocre. I couldn't tell if it was trying to be awful, which would make it humorous, or if it was just awful in places....

I went 0 for 3 this week.

Papytendo

As someone who hasn't had Netflix in a year, I have to ask, when did they remove Father Ted on the US version of Netflix? I never finished the entire series.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Fuuuuuuuu Homeland is amazing. Just breezed through the first season. Canadia/Sweden and VPN streamers, you need to watch it. The writing and acting are phenomenal. I think out of the 12 episodes, I would only consider one boring, the rest are nail biting, edge of your seat goodness.

Ugh, I need season two now.

Fuuuuuuuu Homeland is amazing. Just breezed through the first season. Canadia/Sweden and VPN streamers, you need to watch it. The writing and acting are phenomenal. I think out of the 12 episodes, I would only consider one boring, the rest are nail biting, edge of your seat goodness.

Pretty big dropoff from the first. I still liked though.

Anyway, this was pretty good.

2132701.jpg

RedAssedApe

Banned

Loved it as well but thought the ending of the first season was kind of a cop out :(

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Pretty big dropoff from the first. I still liked though.

Damn, I will keep my expectations in check then.

Loved it as well but thought the ending of the first season was kind of a cop out :(

Yeah, I felt the same way.

I kinda figured that was going to happen. Especially because of the scenes with the daughter. I was hoping it wouldn't go in that direction though. The last episode was still great. For a second, I thought Walker had fucked up, and missed the target, or gone rouge and was trying to mess up the plot. Seeing Brody shit bricks was great too.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just finished Cabin in the Woods...it was interesting. Not really meant to be a horror movie, and as such, not much in the way of scares. Kinda stupid in the beginning that pays off in the end. It is probably worth sitting through for the ending (not the reveal, the mayhem).

Anyone watched upstream color (by the director who made primer)

Upstream Color! woot.

Heard some good things.

Will watch it now. Came up a lot sooner than expected.

If you're looking for something a little mind bending I recommend Upstream Color. It's a cool indie flick about people recovering from being abducted and hypnotized.

Just noticed The Numbers Station is on streaming. It was just in theaters in April I think.

Been watching The Fall from BBC and it's pretty great so far.

Watched the first two episodes and its not too shabby. My parents absolutely adored it though. Its now like their favorite show ever .. along with Spiral .. which is also on Netflix.

BTW is Gillian Anderson getting hotter as she ages? Yowzer!

iiicon

Damn, I will keep my expectations in check then.
I think it depends on what you like about the show. If you're in it for the espionage, betrayals, cliffhangers and other plot related things you'll probably think it's a step back from the first season, but as a nuanced character drama I think it's significantly better. Danes and Lewis knock it out of the park, and the way the show deals with drone strikes and the motivation behind Brody's turn/Nazir's actions was deftly done. Two very good seasons IMO but for very different reasons.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Bionicle: Mask of Light: The Movie (Family)
Bionicle 2: Legends of Metru Nui (Family)
Code of the West (Documentary, Cultural)
LEGO Atlantis (Family)
LEGO: Hero Factory: Breakout (Animation, Family)
LEGO Friends: New Girl in Town (Family)
LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu (Family)
LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu: King of Shadows (Family)
LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu: Way of the Ninja (Family)
Miami Connection (Action, Martial Arts)
My Babysitter's a Vampire (Family)
Not Suitable for Children (Romantic, Comedy)
Orange is the New Black trailers
Of Human Bondage (Classic, Romantic)
Park Avenue: Money, Power and the American Dream (Documentary, Political)
Reggie Watts: Why $#!+ So Crazy? (Stand-up)
Rolling Thunder (Action, Thriller)
Samuel Bleak (Drama, Indie)
The Love Section (Romantic, Comedy)
Unfinished Spaces (Documentary, Social)

Canada:
Set of Documentaries: Seven Up, 7 Plus Seven, 21 Up, 28 Up, 35 Up, 42 Up
Bionicle: Mask of Light: The Movie (Family)
Bionicle 2: Legends of Metru Nui (Family)
Boys Over Flowers (TV, Comedy, Drama, Foreign/Korean)
Creating Destiny (TV, Drama, Foreign/Korean)
LEGO Atlantis (Family)
Lie to Me (TV, Drama, Foreign/Korean)
Mac & Devin Go to High School (Comedy)
My Girlfriend Is a Gumiho (TV, Comedy, SciFi, Foreign/Korean)
My Princess (TV, Romantic, Foreign/Korean)
Pasta (TV, Romantic, Foreign/Korean)
Playful Kiss (TV, Comedy, Drama, Foreign/Korean)
Protect the Boss (TV, Comedy, Drama, Foreign/Korean)
Reggie Watts: Why $#!+ So Crazy? (Stand-up)
Secret Garden (TV, Comedy, Drama, Foreign/Korean)
Scent of a Woman (TV, Drama, Foreign/Korean)
WWE: Batista: I Walk Alone
WWE: Greatest Superstars of the 21st Century
WWE: The Big Show: A Giant's World
WWE: The Shawn Michaels Story: Heartbreak & Triumph
WWE: Twist of Fate: The Matt & Jeff Hardy Story
WWE: You Think You Know Me? The Story of Edge
You Are Beautiful (TV, Comedy, Drama, Foreign/Korean)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I think it depends on what you like about the show. If you're in it for the espionage, betrayals, cliffhangers and other plot related things you'll probably think it's a step back from the first season, but as a nuanced character drama I think it's significantly better. Danes and Lewis knock it out of the park, and the way the show deals with drone strikes and the motivation behind Brody's turn/Nazir's actions was deftly done. Two very good seasons IMO but for very different reasons.

I loved both aspects of the show, but was more into the espionage side of things. Especially towards the end when everything was coming together. If they go into detail on their motivations, that would be pretty good. Hopefully they add S2 in the near future.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Dragon is a decent crime mystery/drama featuring Donnie Yen/Takeshi Kaneshiro (swoon lol). Don't go into it thinking you're going to be watching non-stop fighting like IP man and you should be good.

Miami Connection is probably the best thing ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZu69OB2KM

against the ninjaaaaa...
friends through eternity loyalty honesty we'll stay togetherrrr through thick or thinnnn

the songs in this movie are awesome lol

If anyone wants to watch a brilliant BBC crime drama (starring Gillian Anderson) then I highly recommend The Fall- season one is 5 episodes (just finished airing in the UK) and is easily marathoned!
Season 2 has been confirmed for next year, it's well worth watching for something a bit different in the serial-killer drama.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
If anyone wants to watch a brilliant BBC crime drama (starring Gillian Anderson) then I highly recommend The Fall- season one is 5 episodes (just finished airing in the UK) and is easily marathoned!
Season 2 has been confirmed for next year, it's well worth watching for something a bit different in the serial-killer drama.

Only watched episode one last night, and its pretty good. I will probably finish the remaining 4 episodes today.

Goldrush

Any recommendation for fictional movies that's heavy with Buddhist iconography? Just watch The Sorcerer and the White Snake and in the mood for more. Wuxia films are great, but I'm a sucker for that moment of enlightenment that always happen with Buddhist-themed film.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Any recommendation for fictional movies that's heavy with Buddhist iconography? Just watch The Sorcerer and the White Snake and in the mood for more. Wuxia films are great, but I'm a sucker for that moment of enlightenment that always happen with Buddhist-themed film.

Does it have to be action like TSatWS? If not, 'Into the Wild.'

My daughter wanted to watch Teen Wolf (the series) so I started watching it with her. I kind of don't mind it. I also feel a little embarrassed to admit that...lol.

Aiii

So not worth it
I am a 29 year old male and I watch Teen Wolf as well, there's really no shame in that. I enjoy it, S2 was especially fun thanks to Michael Hogan.

CGI is bad though, but all in all it's quite fun.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yeah, its the guilty pleasure for a lot of people. One of my friends has been on my ass to watch it.

RBH

LOS ANGELES — DreamWorks Animation, trying to lessen its dependence on the volatile movie business by aggressively expanding into TV programming, has decided to forgo cable television in favor of Netflix.

In a multiyear deal announced early on Monday, DreamWorks Animation will supply a torrent of new episodic TV programs to the Internet streaming service. The partnership calls for 300 hours of original programming, perhaps the biggest commitment yet to bring Hollywood-caliber content to the Web first.

The new programs will be “inspired” by characters from past DreamWorks Animation franchises, which include “Shrek” and “The Croods,” and its upcoming feature films. Series will also come from Classic Media, which the studio bought last year. Classic Media’s holdings include characters like Casper the Friendly Ghost, Lassie, She-Ra and Mr. Magoo.

The agreement is the latest in the hotly competitive market for streaming content, with major services like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon vying to capture viewers who are gravitating to the Web, especially younger ones.

The first of the new DreamWorks Animation programs will appear on Netflix sometime next year. Netflix has exclusive rights to the series in all of the countries in which it operates; it has about 27 million streaming subscribers in the United States.

A DreamWorks Animation spokeswoman declined to provide more details, including financial terms. Jeffrey Katzenberg, the studio’s chief executive, plans to outline his TV strategy in a conference call on Tuesday with analysts and reporters.

DreamWorks Animation had three primary TV options: starting a cable channel of its own, perhaps in partnership with 21st Century Fox, which distributes its movies; teaming with an upstart children’s network like the Hub (or taking it over); or bypassing cable completely and going with Netflix.

Mr. Katzenberg parted ways with HBO in 2011, opting instead to distribute his films and television specials through Netflix. Mr. Katzenberg and Netflix announced this year that a new episodic series called “Turbo: F.A.S.T.” would come to the streaming service in December. (It is based on “Turbo,” a film that arrives in theaters on July 17 and features a speedy snail.)

For Netflix, the DreamWorks Animation programming will help fill a hole left by Nickelodeon. Amid a dispute over terms, Netflix declined earlier this year to renew its contract with Viacom, Nickelodeon’s corporate parent. (Viacom in turn made a deal with Amazon this month for Nickelodeon shows like “Dora the Explorer.”) New films from Disney and Pixar will move to Netflix from Starz in late 2016.

Children are avid streaming consumers, particularly overseas, and cartoons allow the company to pitch itself to parents as a commercial-free alternative to television. Animated shows are also less likely to appear on the pirated-content sites that compete with Netflix for viewers.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/18/b...netflix-in-deal-for-new-tv-programs.html?_r=0

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
DreamWorks was aiming to launch a channel of their own, but they instead opted to go with Netflix? So Netflix will be getting, essentially, an entire channel's worth of original programming? Holy shit.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

American Wedding (Comedy)
Deadline (Drama, Thriller, Indie)
Heartland: Season 4 (TV, Drama)
Man of the House (Comedy)
Spiders (B-Horror, SciFi)
Straight A's (Comedy, Romantic)
Super (Action, Comedy)
Toys in the Attic (Family, Animation)

Canada: