• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

I cannot recommend Boondock Saints enough. It's so badass it makes movies that are masters of badassery look like pansies. The second one, however, is worth less than the toilet paper used to wipe someone's ass.

fenners

Long Way Round (TV, Documentary, UK)
Long Way Down (TV, Documentary, UK)

"Long Way Round" documents Ewan McGregor & his buddy attempting to drive around the world on motorbikes. It's a really great watch. Long Way Down is a sequel that isn't as much fun as it's way more commericalized/sanitized after the success of the first series/trip.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Some more I missed:

Donnie Darko (Cult, SciFi, Drama)
Live and Let Die (Action)
Memento (Thriller)
Octopussy (Action)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Stander is a really solid flick, and hey, Tom Jane is always cool. Not really sure why it's listed as foreign, though: set in South Africa, and entirely in English.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I cannot recommend Boondock Saints enough. It's so badass it makes movies that are masters of badassery look like pansies. The second one, however, is worth less than the toilet paper used to wipe someone's ass.

Yes, I recommend the movie as well. I haven't seen the second one, which apparently, I haven't missed much.

Stander is a really solid flick, and hey, Tom Jane is always cool. Not really sure why it's listed as foreign, though: set in South Africa, and entirely in English.

Ohh I will fix it. They listed it as foreign, reason I did as well.

DagsJT

"Long Way Round" documents Ewan McGregor & his buddy attempting to drive around the world on motorbikes. It's a really great watch. Long Way Down is a sequel that isn't as much fun as it's way more commericalized/sanitized after the success of the first series/trip.

Great book too.

haikira

Long Way Round is amazing. Watched it again recently with some friends. It's a lot of fun. It's a very inspiring and positive documentary, without being too sugar coated. Definitely gets my recommendation too.

I also agree about Long Way Down, that it's not as good. Though it definitely picks up a lot in the second half and is still worth the watch.

Best Worst Movie is one of the more depressing movies I've ever seen.

I found it odd that it began as a feel good film. What was disturbing was how some of the actors had legitimate health problems. Such as the owner of the general store being completely out of touch with reality and having some kind of addiction, and the mother, holy shit the mother. That line about moving to a county that made that weird ass noise she made... She clearly had problems as well.

I will never get the love for Boondock Saints. Very mediocre.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I have been watching a show called "The Pitch" and I'm liking it. A bit dramatic at times. The show is about ad agencies competing against each other for (the featured) client. They don't have the same agencies in every episode. I think it does a great job at capturing the process of coming up with an ad idea.

I'll give my support to Long Way Round. Didn't know what to expect when I watched it first run, but you end up falling in love with Ewan McGregor and you kinda feel like you're there.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Goosebumps Season 2-4 (TV, Kids)
Greenberg (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
Samsara (Documentary, Cultural, Experimental)
The Dinosaur Project (Adventure, Fantasy)
The Magic School Bus Season 2-4 (TV, Kids)
The Rundown (Action)

I normally don't do this, but I kinda have to for Samsara. As "Documentary, Cultural, Experimental" don't do it justice. This is the description of the movie:

Unconstrained by dialogue or narration, this contemplative documentary reveals the ties between the dueling rhythms of nature and humanity as found in diverse locations across the globe, from sacred sites and natural wonders to industrial zones.

So my curiosity got the best of me. I checked out the film (well, skipped around), and it is a sorta weird, artsy film. It is beautiful shot however. Was really impressed in some of the scenes I saw. The scenes have little to nothing in common. There are a few creepy/disturbing scenes. There isn't any dialogue either. I will probably watch the thing in full soon.

Added today:

Goosebumps Season 2-4 (TV, Kids)
Greenberg (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
Samsara (Documentary, Cultural, Experimental)
The Dinosaur Project (Adventure, Fantasy)
The Magic School Bus Season 2-4 (TV, Kids)
The Rundown (Action)

I normally don't do this, but I kinda have to for Samsara. As "Documentary, Cultural, Experimental" don't do it justice. This is the description of the movie:

So my curiosity got the best of me. I checked out the film (well, skipped around), and it is a sorta weird, artsy film. It is beautiful shot however. Was really impressed in some of the scenes I saw. The scenes have little to nothing in common. There are a few creepy/disturbing scenes. There isn't any dialogue either. I will probably watch the thing in full soon.

I only added Samsara to my list because I think somewhere on avsforum it was listed it as practically the best showcase blu-ray. Of course that won't compete with Netflix quality, but it did get my interest.

Samsara is on Netflix? Holy shit.

One of the best films I've ever seen. A sort of meditation on the world, no voice overs, just beautiful images. Interesting themes overall, some more blatant than others.

And the Blu-Ray is phenomenal, but if you want to give it a try before ponying up the cash, I can't imagine a stream would be too bad.

Watched The Hunted last night. Not a terrible film, certainly a Friday/Saturday night movie. Tommy Lee Jones chases one of the guys from The Usual Suspects around a Forest for a bit.

Knives.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

High Tech, Low Life (Documentary, Cultural, Foreign/Chinese)
Miss Gulag (Documentary, Cultural)
My Best Day (Indie, Comedy)
The Dino King (Anime, Fantasy, Action)
The Dragon Pearl (Family, Fantasy)
Wilfred Season 2 (TV, Comedy)

Any particular reason as to why you couldn't finish it?

Is V/H/S 2 on Netflix?
I really couldn't stand the characters. They were totally unlikeable, which was probably the point.

And the sequel's not on Netflix, is on Amazon Instant though. Gareth Evans (The Raid) did one of the segments.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What time does Netflix generally update? I am home tomorrow and so don't want to wake up until Breaking Bad is up!

Last week, the episode was up before 10am (est). Not sure exactly when, but probably around 6am (est).

Since they are just now putting up the second season of Wilfred, I guess that means the rest of Damages won't be up until next month. :\

Kaladin

I watched the Mick Foley documentary today. WWE has really been on with their docs lately. Ever since the CM Punk doc they've been great.

Due to a thread on GAF about Louis CK I just discovered Bill Burr. Spent the last 5 hours watching the 3 Bill Burr specials they had on netflix as well as the 2 Louis CK specials.

Any recommendations on where to go from here?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Due to a thread on GAF about Louis CK I just discovered Bill Burr. Spent the last 5 hours watching the 3 Bill Burr specials they had on netflix as well as the 2 Louis CK specials.

I really enjoyed:

Eddie Murphy: Raw
Aziz Ansari: Dangerously Delicious
Zach Galifianakis: Live at the Purple Onion

George Carlin and Jim Gaffigan stuff are great too.

iiicon

Reggie Watts is only good in small doses. I found his special insufferably quirky.
Agreed. I mean, I liked it more than you, but it's hard to recommend a special so bizarre as that after some Louis CK or Bill Burr. If you enjoy stuff like Comedy Bang Bang, Upright Citizen Brigade or Zach Galifianakis though, give it a shot.

As far as traditional stand-up goes, I really enjoyed the recent Craig Ferguson set.

Comedy Bang Bang!

Also, Lewis Black and Zach Galifinakis' specials are great. And David Cross as well (dont know if its on Netflix anymore though).

Hey guys just signed up for a yearly sub of strongvpn. Is there any way I can use this to stream Canada/UK Netflix through my PS3? Or do I have to use unblock-us?

Top Bottom