• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Thanks to GK86 for posting new releases I otherwise wouldn't know about.

No problem, dude. :)

Watched the Klitchko brothers documentary. Another highly produced sports documentary about Eastern European athletes who sometimes don't get the hype they deserve. Boxing is such a beautiful sport and this docu is brutal to watch at times, but you see the love, talent and brotherhood both Vladimir and Vitali have for each other and the sport.

Its crazy to think the two best heavyweights in the world for the last 5+ years are brothers but watch this and you'll see why.

Great documentary especially if you like sports and boxing.

I have it on my Q. Probably watch it tomorrow. I saw some clips of it and it looked interesting.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and The Lincoln Lawyer are expiring on the 25th and 27th. Watch them if you haven't. Both are solid movies.

RBH

Netflix Inc. and The Weinstein Company today announced a new multi-year licensing agreement that will make Netflix the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run films from TWC beginning in 2016.

Starting with its 2016 theatrically released feature films, new TWC and Dimension Films titles will be made available for Netflix members to watch instantly in the pay TV window on multiple platforms, including televisions, tablets, mobile phones and computers.

Netflix is already the Pay TV home to TWC documentaries and foreign films, including the Academy Award winning Best Picture, The Artist, and Best Documentary Feature, Undefeated, as well as to a wide-range of movies released by multi-platform distribution label RADiUS-TWC.

“Harvey and Bob Weinstein are in a class to themselves when it comes to choosing and producing the best films in the world,” said Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer for Netflix. “They are as innovative in business as they are creative in their storytelling. We look forward to reinventing the pay TV window with the Weinsteins.”

“The deal that we’ve just completed with Netflix is probably the biggest deal in the history of The Weinstein Company and together, we are discussing ways to reinvent the pay TV experience so that the audience can get even more for their money,” said Harvey Weinstein. “Their enthusiasm for movies of all kinds was the big factor in our choosing Netflix. Moving forward when people see The Weinstein Company name on a movie they know that our pay TV partner is the most significant new force in the entertainment industry – Netflix.”
http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/net...t-pay-tv-experience-with-new-multi-year-pact/

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
already posted up the page

:)

EcQnQQU.png

The Lincoln Lawyer was one of the best courtroom thrillers I have seen in a while. Damn good movie. Matthew McConaughey's character is a lot of fun. Expires on the 27th so I am glad I caught it.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Dredd Is really hyped by this site.
I'll watch it tommorrow.

Best SNL on Netflix? Been in the mood for some saturdayyy nighttttt

Dredd is OK, but I saw it after seeing The Raid, so it looked like a cheap imitation. I think that's it's issue though, it really could be any film. It's not specifically a Judge Dredd story.

Rokam

Just watched Mike Birbiglia: My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, god damn this was good. Highly recommend it, even if you're not a fan of his comedy.
That story at the end... people suck.

If you don't understand what certain aspects people are praising Dredd for, well sure of course you might not see what people liked about it. It's just refreshing to see a moderate-budget story that isn't "gotta save the world from epic shit," just a smaller-scale story with well directed R-rated violence and a good villain. So few movies do that these days.

What was over hyped was The Hunger Games. Saw it earlier today and it was alright.

Always assume the worst when Tumblr is a huge fan of a movie.

If you don't understand what certain aspects people are praising Dredd for, well sure of course you might not see what people liked about it. It's just refreshing to see a moderate-budget story that isn't "gotta save the world from epic shit," just a smaller-scale story with well directed R-rated violence and a good villain. So few movies do that these days.

I don't think anyone has said it's bad or anything like that. Just that it's being hyped beyond what it can meet.

I don't think anyone has said it's bad or anything like that. Just that it's being hyped beyond what it can meet.

There's a difference between blind praise and a genuine reason for why people actually like a movie. I just wish people would talk about those reasons as opposed to disagreeing with the praise generically without actually talking about why.

For the record, I never said anyone said the movie was bad. Not once.

There's a difference between blind praise and a genuine reason for why people actually like a movie. I just wish people would talk about those reasons as opposed to disagreeing with the praise generically without actually talking about why.

For the record, I never said anyone said the movie was bad. Not once.

Well I can offer my opinion on why it was just good. There will be spoilers.

Story was ok. No glaring flaws but nothing transcendent either. The big story revelation falls flat since it doesn't do well to establish the Slow Mo drugs impact on the city or that it was any kind of a mystery to find it's origins. It faintly hints at the reputation of Dredd but makes no effort beyond that. Rookie's story and character progression gets stagnant as it never really shows why she's suddenly ok with killing without hesitation after setting up the remorse over her dramatic and pressured kill. Sets up the Big Bad fairly well with flashback but doesn't effectively show the big bad being bad. It doesn't even set up any Big Bad enforcers with everyone essentially being footsoldiers that are canon fodder. Even the corrupt judges are hardly an obstacle, largely taken out without much fuss. Never gave the feeling of Dredd ever being in real danger. Plenty of gunfire, explosions, and the like but nothing all that major by todays standards. Final scene of Big Bad vs. Dredd was anti-climatic. Never felt that Dredd was outplayed.

It's squarely average for an Action movie and I don't feel like the Action genre is so starved that average is direly needed. As a movie to watch on Netflix one afternoon it's solid. But it's hardly worthy of even an evening viewing with a drink and some popcorn imo. I'd do that maybe if it was an entire evening of watching multiple movies with Dredd happening to be one of them. I don't really take budget into account when measuring my enjoyment of a movie and there are more exciting Action movies that one could watch. That's my take on it.

Vyer

I watched both Justice League: Flashpoint (not on Netflix) and Justice League: Doom in the last few weeks. So well done.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Event Horizon: What a great, mind-fuck of a film. Its like Aliens and Hellraiser had a baby. It was fantastic and enjoyable all the way through. If you are looking for a great horror movie, load this one up.

Event Horizon: What a great, mind-fuck of a film. Its like Aliens and Hellraiser had a baby. It was fantastic and enjoyable all the way through. If you are looking for a great horror movie, load this one up.

It's a shame the director never made another good movie.

Can we recommend DVD only movies as well?

Saw A Lonely Place to Die and it was really good. A group of experienced climbers in Scotland find a kidnapped girl and then find themselves behind hunted by the kidnappers. Some of the accents are hard to understand and the final third gets a bit cliche but the scenes in the wilderness are thrilling, well paced, and the main character is a tough female

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Wha? Pandorum is awesome. Better than Event Horizon imo.

While I agree that Pandorum was awesome, I don't think it was better than EH.

Can we recommend DVD only movies as well?

Saw A Lonely Place to Die and it was really good. A group of experienced climbers in Scotland find a kidnapped girl and then find themselves behind hunted by the kidnappers. Some of the accents are hard to understand and the final third gets a bit cliche but the scenes in the wilderness are thrilling, well paced, and the main character is a tough female

Actually, the movie is on Netlfix Canada, if anyone with a VPN wants to check it out. Looks interesting, will give it a watch.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I first saw this in a room full of people a couple halloweens ago, made for a great watch since it's super cheesy, occasionally a bit scary and then terrible at the end. The bit with the token black guy coming back to the ship had us wetting ourselves.

And then we watched Suspiria and laughed the whole way through, funniest horror film ever.

mjc

I'll have to check out Event Horizon, I thought Pandorum was a solid horror/action flick.

I rewatched Stargate last night, such a damn good movie. It amazes me that Roland Emmerich helmed it. Then I went to watch SG-1 but realized it wasn't on IW. My life is over.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Battledogs (Action, SciFi)
Doug Stanhope: Beer Hall Putsch (Stand-up)
Into the White (War, Drama, Foreign)
Kiss of the Damned (Indie, Drama, Supernatural/Vampire)
Mike Birbiglia: My Girlfriend's Boyfriend (Stand-up)
My Fair Wedding: Season 5 (TV, Reality)
Outlaw Country (Drama, Mobster)
Wreckers (Indie, Drama)

Canada:

Moneyball (Drama, Sports)
The Moo Man (Documentary, Social)

UK:

Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 (Comedy, Family)
Power Rangers Dino Thunder - Episodes 1-25 (TV, Kids)
Resident Evil: Damnation (Action, SciFi)
Waking the Dead Season 5 (TV, Crime, Drama)

Canadian's/VPNers, give Moneyball a watch. Brad and Jonah were top notch. The writing was excellent. Even if you aren't a sports fan, this is a great movie.

Is there something up with ps3 Netflix? I tried to watch Dredd and Serenity this afternoon and it was like watching a YT video on a 56k connection.

Top Bottom