• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Derek is available starting today (Ricky Gervais' latest series). Excited to finally watch it.

Kaladin

http://www.unblock-us.com/ has added Netherlands to their regions, so you can now also browse Dutch Netflix.

My first recommendation to watch there, if you haven't seen it yet, is Orphan Black. (Trailer) (Thread).

My second recommendation, also unique for NL so far, is the show Pramface. Talked about it on the previous page I think. Great English black comedy about two teenagers who end up having a kid together after a one night stand. (trailer)

Yes, highly recommend Orphan Black. Such a great series that I wish more people could see...and they would see it if it was on US Netflix.

Any clue when Arrow is going to show up on Netflix? The DVD is due out next week, and Netflix has been getting the CW shows pretty quick after that.

Kaladin

I started up Revolution tonight. I might stick with it as the plot seemed interesting, but my main complaint is a complaint I have too often with mainstream fiction of this nature. Everything is too neat and dressed up. I mean, the power has been off for what, 15 years or so and most of the characters look like they just stepped out of the salon with their clothes dry cleaned? The world is too neat looking also......it looks like it was created to look the way it looks instead of it became that way. I have a similar issue with Hell On Wheels, but at least they try to make the grit look old....even if it does still look sleek and manufactured.

I started up Revolution tonight. I might stick with it as the plot seemed interesting, but my main complaint is a complaint I have too often with mainstream fiction of this nature. Everything is too neat and dressed up. I mean, the power has been off for what, 15 years or so and most of the characters look like they just stepped out of the salon with their clothes dry cleaned? The world is too neat looking also......it looks like it was created to look the way it looks instead of it became that way. I have a similar issue with Hell On Wheels, but at least they try to make the grit look old....even if it does still look sleek and manufactured.

Yeah that really annoyed me too. Everyone is perfectly groomed wearing beautiful, tailored leather jackets and designer jeans. And all the locations are too "set" like. You can tell you're watching people on a back lot somewhere. I wish they had the budget to do the show on location. And as a resident of Pennsylvania, it also takes me out of it to see them in woods that are clearly not PA. Its all sage brush and pines .. 90% of the woods here are deciduous trees.

Started Derek last night. I wasn't really sold on the pilot but the second episode was better. I'll see it through the first season, at least.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
eEW9NRA.png

Welcome back

And finally, season 5 of Fringe is on Netflix USA. Time for everyone to finish the party.

Welcome back! :)

No problem. Glad to have you back.

<3

Good to be back. No more Austin Powers jokes for me.

What have the reviews for it been like?

Yeah, I'm curious too. I completely blanked that it was even coming out today. I have seen ads for it on the subway here, but haven't seen sites cover it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
LA times:

"Derek," which appears in its seven-episode entirety Thursday, is a heartbreaking mess of a show. It is, by turns, hilarious and histrionic, illuminating and infuriating. It will make you laugh, and it will make you cry. But it will also make you want to tear your hair out in frustration before taking to Twitter to ask Gervais to please dear God let someone else direct next time.

As the title would imply, Derek is the heart of Broadhill. And if you don't believe it, you will be told several times per episode, which quickly becomes irritating. Though not as irritating as Gervais' unfortunate reliance on physical tics — slouched shoulders, bad hair, an absurdly overworked under bite, crazy sweaters — to define his character.

Full review: http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-77365846/

Dr.Acula

Banned
I've watched five minutes of Derek and I'm already cringing. It's so hard for me to watch Gervais.

His character reminds me too much of when Cartman tried to get in the special Olympics.

RBH

Netflix is bringing its streaming service to its first pay-TV provider.

The UK's Virgin Media announced Tuesday that its TiVo customers will now be offered access to Netflix's streaming service. The company plans to launch a pilot program with 40,000 Virgin Media TiVo homes this week, and as long as all goes well, it will expand the offering to its 1.7 million Virgin Media TiVo homes by the end of the year.

According to Virgin Media, the idea to integrate Netflix's streaming service into its branded TiVo boxes comes as the company tries to make it easier for its customers to access content. A search through the TiVo, for example, of a particular actor or movie will deliver results through both Virgin Media's services and Netflix.

The move is by no means groundbreaking -- current pay-TV customers already access Netflix on a wide array of devices, after all -- but it's a psychological victory for the streaming provider. For years, pay-TV providers have attempted to target services like Netflix that they have viewed as threatening to their services. For the first time, a pay-TV provider has seemingly acknowledged the value provided to customers by Netflix.

According to Virgin Media, existing Netflix subscribers will be able to access the app under the Apps & Games section on their TiVo. Customers who want to try out the app and aren't currently Netflix customers will need to sign up with the subscription service before launching the program on the Virgin Media TiVos.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57...first-pay-tv-provider-deal-with-virgin-media/

RBH

Netflix's stock has surpassed $306 a share, representing an all-time high for the streaming service.

In early trading, the stock is up more than 4 percent, or $12 per share, as investors seem happy about the company's announcement of a deal with U.K. cable giant Virgin Media. That deal will incorporate Netflix's VOD service into a pay TV offering in an industry first. Analysts believe it could be the sign of more deals and further growth ahead.

Crossing the $300-a-share mark is an achievement for the company, run by chief executive Reed Hastings. The last time Netflix sniffed $300 was in July 2011, when it made its then-controversial decision to split its DVD rental and online streaming businesses. Since then, with the exception of its ill-fated Quixster experiment, the company has been on a roll with some 30 million subscribers and more than a billion dollars in quarterly revenue being reported. This year alone, Netflix's stock is up more than 219 percent.

Netflix has also done well in its investments in original programming, including House of Cards, the return of Arrested Development and its latest success in Orange Is the New Black. These series have earned the company 14 Emmy nominations, including nine alone for House of Cards. Its newest original, Derek, starring Ricky Gervais, is set to be released later this week.

Parties are planned to celebrate the success. Last night, the company announced that it would host an Emmy party, going up against HBO's directly after the show on Sunday, Sept. 22.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/netflix-stock-hits-all-time-625374

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today (inadvertently added stuff that Maklershed already updated) :

Army Wives: Season 7 (TV, Drama, Reality)
Becoming Chaz (Documentary, Biographical- Chaz Bono)
Derek (TV, Drama, Comedy)
Ghanchakkar (Comedy, Bollywood)
Haven Seasons 1-3 (TV, SciFi, Cult)
Kathleen Madigan: Madigan Again (Stand-up)
Lizzie (Horror, Slasher, Supernatural)
Rules of Engagement: Season 7 (TV, Comedy, Sitcom)
Skins: Vol. 7 (TV, Drama, Teen, British)
Tent City, U.S.A. (Documentary, Social-Homeless)
The Count of Monte Cristo (TV Miniseries, Drama)
War Witch (Indie, War, Drama)
Welcome to Pine Hill (Indie, Drama, Social Issues)

Sweden:

Arthur (Comedy)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Drama, Thriller)
Zookeeper (Comedy, Family)

UK:

Bob Saget: That's What I'm Talkin' About (Stand-up)
Dave Fulton: Live in Toomler, Amsterdam (Stand-up)
Jim Breuer: Let's Clear the Air (Stand-up)
Peter Pan (Family, Animation, Adventure)
The Princess and the Frog (Family, Animation)
Whitney Cummings: Money Shot (Stand-up)

Mexico:

12 Monkeys (SciFi, Thriller)
40-Year-Old Virgin (Comedy)
Across the Universe (Drama, Romantic, Musical)
Anger Management (Comedy)

Assault on Precinct 13 (Action)
Barbershop 2: Back in Business (Comedy)
Barney's Great Adventure: The Movie (Family, Adventure)
Benchwarmers (Comedy)
Big Fat Liar (Comedy, Family)
Bicentennial Man (Drama, SciFi)
Big Fish (Drama, Fantasy)
Blue Crush (Drama, Romantic, Sports/Surfing)
Bridesmaids (Comedy)
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (Action)
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Anime, Action)
Ghost Rider (Action)
Gridiron Gang (Drama, Sports/Football)
Hancock (Action, Comedy)
I Know What You Did Last Summer (Horror, Slasher)
Jarhead (Drama, War)
King Kong (2005, Action, Fantasy)
Kung Fu Hustle (Action, Martial Arts, Comedy, Foreign)

Men in Black II (Action, SciFi)
Monster House (Family, Adventure)
Not Another Teen Movie (Comedy)
Once Upon a Time in Mexico (Action, Thriller)
Red Dragon (Horror, Thriller)
School of Rock (Comedy, Family)
Senna (Documentary, Sports)
Silent Hill (Horror)
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Movie (Family, Comedy)
Stomp the Yard (Drama, Romantic)
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Comedy)
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (Action, SciFi)
Terminator: Salvation (Action, SciFi)
The Bone Collector (Action, Thriller)
The Change-Up (Comedy)
The Scorpion King (Comedy)
The Skeleton Key (Thriller, Supernatural)
The Sweetest Thing (Comedy, Romantic)
Tremors (Horror, Cult)

Netherlands:

With the launch of the Netherlands Netflix, comes a ton of movies. Too many for me to list. So please go here.

Nyx

Watched Bloods & Crips : Made in America last night, very interesting documentary.

I find it so hard to see that it's only 50 years ago that there was so much racism between white and black people...

Kaladin

I've been wanting to watch Haven....awesome.

Nice.....and we got 3 seasons of Haven.....this is all new to us right? I didn't miss it before?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I've been wanting to watch Haven....awesome.

Nice.....and we got 3 seasons of Haven.....this is all new to us right? I didn't miss it before?

Yeah, its new. Although, I'm not sure why they didn't list the fact that it was three seasons.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Browsing the Netherlands, some random samplings of their region:

Chuck, Spartacus, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers/Return of the King, Shallow Hal, Dogma, Valkyrie, Hide and Seek.

Symphonia

Banned
Skins: Vol. 7 (TV, Drama, Teen, British)
Sweet, gonna start watching that tonight.

Just finished watching the first season of Revolution. As I was told earlier in the thread, the second half of the season is much better than the first on so many levels. The acting is taken up a notch, although it's still pretty shoddy in places, and there's plenty of action going on too. I will admit I was royally pissed off with the finale though -
Randell setting off the missiles and the viewers finding out that the United States is still out there, but in Guantanamo Bay, is just absolutely disappointing. They could've done something much more dramatic and involved Bass in it, somehow, rather than have him being chased off into the night
. Here's hoping the second season is better.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Its legal. And a pretty great service. Not one complaint about them. For $5, it is highway robbery.

Would I be able to use it on my PS3 somehow? Or is it PC only? I am very interested in Chuck as I used to get the discs through Netflix but then I gave up my disc option and went streaming only.

Symphonia

Banned
Would I be able to use it on my PS3 somehow? Or is it PC only? I am very interested in Chuck as I used to get the discs through Netflix but then I gave up my disc option and went streaming only.
You can use it on pretty much any internet-enabled device. All the consoles allow it, as do all the iDevices. Pretty much any device that has Netflix and the option to alter your DNS settings.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Someone using Unblock and the PS3 will have to answer if they fixed the problems Unblock users were having a few weeks ago. But Cyanide hit it on the nail. The only device that is kinda of a pain to use it with is Roku. Since you have to change your routers DNS settings, rather than the device's.

Watched Bloods & Crips : Made in America last night, very interesting documentary.

I find it so hard to see that it's only 50 years ago that there was so much racism between white and black people...

Pretty goddamn crappy documentary/
A documentary that is supposed to tell the origins of the Bloods & Crips & does nothing of the sort.
It basically starts taking about how there were small crews in the '60s & how they were formed & then starts talking about how bad drugs & poverty. Then bam, fast forward to the late '80s-'90s & they tell nothing on how they were formed.

Symphonia

Banned
Just been checking out the Canadian Netflix and my God, it's amazing. It has such a better catalog of films and TV shows than the British and US ones combined. It has some really recent films on there, too.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just been checking out the Canadian Netflix and my God, it's amazing. It has such a better catalog of films and TV shows than the British and US ones combined. It has some really recent films on there, too.

If you think Canada is good, wait until you hit the promise land, Sweden.

Wag

If you think Canada is good, wait until you hit the promise land, Sweden.

I hope you like forced subs because you're going to get that there on many of the movies and TV shows. I tried watching Collateral and surprise! Forced subs. Someone told me the only platform that lets you turn off forced subs is the Roku3. If someone has that and has access to region switching could they test that?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I hope you like forced subs because you're going to get that there on many of the movies and TV shows. I tried watching Collateral and surprise! Forced subs. Someone told me the only platform that lets you turn off forced subs is the Roku3. If someone has that and has access to region switching could they test that?

I watch all my movies/shows with subtitles anyway. So the subtitles don't bother me. I'm sure it drives people nuts though.

Wag

I watch all my movies/shows with subtitles anyway. So the subtitles don't bother me. I'm sure it drives people nuts though.

Some people in the Nordic regions speak English better than folks in the US so there's really no need for it. At least give us an option to turn them off. It's licensing issues more than anything else.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Along Came Polly (Comedy)

Canada:

13 Assassins (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Beyblade (various of them, TV, Kids, Cartoons)
Blades of Blood (Action, Marital Arts, Foreign)
Camp Hell (Horror)
Cougars, Inc. (Comedy)
Damned by Dawn (Horror)
Detention (Horror)
Fair Game (Drama)
Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer (Family, Adventure)
Katt Williams: Kattpacalypse (Stand-up)
Princess Lillifee and the Little Unicorn (Family, Foreign)
Spiral: Season 4 (TV, Crime, Drama)
The Beaver (Comedy)
The Child's Eye (Horror)
The Red Machine (Indie, War, Drama)
The Striking Truth (Documentary, Sports/Boxing)
The Tree of Life (Drama)
The Trip (Comedy)
The Warrior's Way (Action, Martial Arts, Western)
The Way Back (Action, War, Drama)
Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family (Comedy)
Witchville (Action, Fantasy)

Top Bottom