• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Some of these were mentioned above already:

Deadliest Catch: Season 8 (TV, Reality)
I (Almost) Got Away with It: Season 5 (TV, Reality)
I, Me aur Main (Romantic, Comedy, Bollywood)
Paranormal Activity 4/Unrated (Horror, Supernatural)
That '70s Show: Season 1-4 (TV, Comedy)
The Jungle Book (2010, Family, Adventure)

Also a heads up, Damages S5 hits tomorrow. Fullmetal Alchemist(plus other animes), Happy Tree Friends, The Guild(five seasons), Nikita S3, Devil are two days away. The Killing S3, Sharknado, and Teen Wolf at the start of next month.

Milchmann

Netflix region link in OP.

Thanks. Not as comfortable as Moreflicks, but it will suffice.

Just watched the first season of Burning Love. Awesome, nearly flawless parody of The Bachelor and tons of great comedy actors. A bit strange that it was edited into a movie, that doesn't suit the theme.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Arrow is amazing so far.
Guest stars can't act tho. Ham it up a lot.
But main cast is phenomenal. Love the island scenes.

There is a purse snatching episode at which point the show became unwatchable for me. I've tried three different time to get through that ep and I can't. It's just too dumb.

Evolved1

I watched the pilot of some sci-fi show called Continuum... eh... the main protag is pretty hot, but often her performance is kinda flat. I can't decide if she's not that great of an actor, or it's some intentional character thing that might have been a good idea in theory, but just doesn't work very well on screen.

It's kind of corny, but I'm thinking of trying a few more episodes.

Like I said... she is pretty hot. lol.

Continuum has some growing pains. It can't be denied. But it ends up being pretty entertaining. Don't mistake that as me saying it's necessarily quality. Just that it becomes more entertaining.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I watched the pilot of some sci-fi show called Continuum... eh... the main protag is pretty hot, but often her performance is kinda flat. I can't decide if she's not that great of an actor, or it's some intentional character thing that might have been a good idea in theory, but just doesn't work very well on screen.

If you're looking for a dumb-yet-entertaining show with a hot protagonist, watch Lost Girl. Anna Silk is gorgeous, and the show revolves around such silly subject matter (she's a succubus who is discovering that there is an entire society of supernatural humans living around her) that it's hard to dislike the show when it bites off more than it can chew.

That sums up my initial thoughts on it as well. I couldn't tell if I was put off by her acting or if I couldn't see past how hot she is. Given that she's not the hottest girl I've ever seen I was guessing the first. I continued watching anyways, it gets better and actually isn't bad.

If you're looking for a dumb-yet-entertaining show with a hot protagonist, watch Lost Girl. Anna Silk is gorgeous, and the show revolves around such silly subject matter (she's a succubus who is discovering that there is an entire society of supernatural humans living around her) that it's hard to dislike the show when it bites off more than it can chew.

I don't think she's all that. I mean, she's good looking but, nothing spectacular IMO. It's not like she's number 6 to me.

Kaladin

The originality of the Continuum plot is what kept me going....and lets be honest here, the terrorists or revolutionaries depending on the timeline have the most interesting part of the story.

Evolved1

Lost Girl is on my list... I probably would have started already (I'll give any sci-fi with female lead a chance) but the synopsis on Netflix had me scratching my head. "Wait, whaaat?". lol usually that would make me watch right away! Guess I wasn't quite in the mood to experiment or something.

Kaladin

Lost Girl is on my list... I probably would have started already (I'll give any sci-fi with female lead a chance) but the synopsis on Netflix had me scratching my head. "Wait, whaaat?". lol usually that would make me watch right away! Guess I wasn't quite in the mood to experiment or something.

I watched the pilot a while back....for one reason or another it didn't grab me. I might pick it up again, but it will be a while.

Lost Girl is mediocre at best. My wife really enjoys it, but I can't go back to it. No matter how pretty Anna Silk is. Or how gorgeous Ksenia Solo is.
Around the middle of season 2 things got interesting with the story without rehashing the same shit over and over again, but then quickly dropped back away by the time it was over. The cinematography always annoyed me as well. It is like the DP only knows one or two lighting set ups and uses them everywhere. Gotta have that warm light coming from the bottom corner around the actors!

Evolved1

Lost Girl is mediocre at best. My wife really enjoys it, but I can't go back to it. No matter how pretty Anna Silk is. Or how gorgeous Ksenia Solo is.
Around the middle of season 2 things got interesting with the story without rehashing the same shit over and over again, but then quickly dropped back away by the time it was over. The cinematography always annoyed me as well. It is like the DP only knows one or two lighting set ups and uses them everywhere. Gotta have that warm light coming from the bottom corner around the actors!

So glad I don't notice stuff like this. haha

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Haha yeah don't go into Lost Girl expecting it to do anything particularly well, but the acting is hammy and entertaining enough, and the script has tongue planted firmly in cheek that it can get away with stuff that a more serious show wouldn't be able to.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Damages: Season 5 (TV, Crime, Drama)
Jessie: Season 2 (TV, Kids)
Okami-san and Her Seven Companions (Anime)
Russell Peters: Notorious (Stand-up)
Russell Peters vs. the World (Stand-up)
Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids: Season 2 (TV, Reality)
The Adventures of Mickey Matson and the Copperhead Treasure (Family, Adventure)

Vyer

Movie 43 - I always was curious about this because of the cast list, so I checked it out. Tremendously stupid and probably on the whole well worth the shitty rating, but some of the stuff was so over the top dumb I couldn't help but laugh. It's basically an attempt to do a new version of the Kentucky Fried Movie, though not as well.

Sleepwalk With Me - I like Burbiglia's stuff on This American Life and I found that this movie was very well done and very polished. Even though some of the content was obviously going to be familiar to anyone that's heard his stuff I kept me interested the whole way.

Kaladin

Added today:

I can finally add Damages to the lists of series to watch with it being complete on Netflix now.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Added today:

Nice, new Russell Peters. I introduced my girl to his stand up this weekend and she has been wanting to see more.

X-Frame

I'm another one that really hopes that Smallville joins Netflix eventually. Has there been any updates or news about the possibility?

Wag

It looks like Moreflix is dead. Site hasn't been updated in quite a while now. Too bad.

As far as Smallville goes, there's some sort of lawsuit going on and it won't be added until that's resolved.

Kaladin

I'm another one that really hopes that Smallville joins Netflix eventually. Has there been any updates or news about the possibility?

You're not missing anything. Every time you think something is going to finally happen, it doesn't.....and everything goes back to normal. I doubt I could even watch the final season or two that I missed as it aired.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

As far as I remember, Smallville was never named in the batch of CW shows coming to Netflix.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Arrow is annoying, it seems ok but it irritates me that pretty much the only reason the guy hasn't died in the first two episodes is that all the enemies are the worst shots in the world.

I mean he will be running along a narrow path in a straight line, enemy has the jump on him and height advantage and just sprays all over the floor and ceiling and he will just fire an arrow and kill the enemy. He isn't displaying any heroic ability there, just blind luck.

Other than that it seems enjoyable and ill keep watching it as one of my cheesy background TV shows but hoping that element either gets explained or picks up.

Please have some amazing bullet bending armour tech.

Evolved1

The plot dictates his efficacy and it becomes really annoying in later episodes.

Add in annoying romances (something that is otherwise fine by me if done well) and some spectacularly dumb scenarios/dialog and you'll have the reasons I took a break from the marathon. lol

In other news, Continuum has been entertaining so far. It's dumb too, but hasn't gone too far into the weeds yet.

RBH

Netflix, which began as a video rental service, is discussing with several U.S. cable operators the inclusion of its streaming video service on their set-top boxes, a source said on Monday, helping to boost the company's shares nearly 8 percent.

Netflix is in talks with companies including Comcast Corp and Suddenlink Communications, said the person, who is familiar with the discussions. The talks were first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

A sticking point in discussions has been the direct connection of the Netflix network to the cable companies' internet service provider systems - a set-up that Netflix believes will offer consumers the best experience.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/14/us-netflix-shares-idUSBRE99D0HG20131014

Evolved1

How would that work with the disgusting bandwidth caps most of these cable providers use to fight off services like Netflix!?

lol...

sol_bad

I just finished watching season 2 of The Walking Dead on Blu Ray, has some fairly aggressive audio in the action set pieces. Thought I'd quickly check it out on Netflix for comparison sake.
As expected there is a large drop in quality on the video side.
Unexpectadly thre is a MASSIVE drop in the audio quality. I swear to god the audio must be at the lowest possible bit rate they could possibly do. It was painful to listen to how muddled the audio quality was. It's certainly turned me off from watching an action based TV series on Netflix.

Does anyone know if Netflix will be improving their sound quality any time soon?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I just finished watching season 2 of The Walking Dead on Blu Ray, has some fairly aggressive audio in the action set pieces. Thought I'd quickly check it out on Netflix for comparison sake.
As expected there is a large drop in quality on the video side.
Unexpectadly thre is a MASSIVE drop in the audio quality. I swear to god the audio must be at the lowest possible bit rate they could possibly do. It was painful to listen to how muddled the audio quality was. It's certainly turned me off from watching an action based TV series on Netflix.

Does anyone know if Netflix will be improving their sound quality any time soon?

I think its going to be awhile before streaming is ever going to look as good as blu-ray but the 1080P streams are already pretty damn good IMO.

What device were you watching on? Was it Super HD? I believe DD+ is compressed audio so that isn't going to sound as good either.

sol_bad

I think its going to be awhile before streaming is ever going to look as good as blu-ray but the 1080P streams are already pretty damn good IMO.

What device were you watching on? Was it Super HD? I believe DD+ is compressed audio so that isn't going to sound as good either.

I was watching it on my PC which is hooked up to my Pioneer 1080p plasma, Onkyo TX-805 AV receiver and Paradigm Monitor 9 fronts / CC290 centre / ADP390 rears / Ultracube 10 subwoofer.

I had the video running at 3000mbps which I assume affects the audio too?

Top Bottom