• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
IN BRUGES

I know what I'm watching tonight.

This doc is hilarious in its attempt to downplay the Soviet Union's role in defeating Germany. The best thing you can say about Burns is that he makes watchable propaganda.

That seems like kind of a harsh criticism considering the doc is clearly focused on America's involvement in the war. Does it really downplay it or just not go into it much? I'm about halfway through the whole thing.

Siegmeyer

Added today:

UK:

Seven Psychopaths (Action, Comedy)

I can't stand Colin Farrell but he didn't stop me enjoying In Bruges immensely, and so anyone who enjoyed that film should check this out. It's from the same director I believe and although it stars Farrell again, doesn't stop it being as good if not better than In Bruges. Sam Rockwell is awesome in it, as he is in most things (seriously, when is this dude going to start getting the Hollywood love he deserves?) and you also get Christopher Walken for good measure.

I saw it on a flight to Canada earlier this year, and I usually get easily distracted watching stuff on planes - poor sound and picture, crying kids, turbulence etc. - this had my full attention for the duration. Great stuff.

Ohhhhhhhhhh I fuckin' love In Bruges. Seven Psychopaths is also very great, though I liked In Bruges more. Definitely recommend both, though.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
In Bruges is fantastic and I really liked Colin Farrell in it. I keep forgetting that Seven Psychopaths is on netflix.....I need to check it out.

Jimothy

That seems like kind of a harsh criticism considering the doc is clearly focused on America's involvement in the war. Does it really downplay it or just not go into it much? I'm about halfway through the whole thing.
I just remember one part where they talk about Germany being pushed back on all fronts, and they mention the Eastern Front last like it's some foot note. I get that it's focused on the American side of the war, but if I was young and impressionable I'd take away from the documentary that America did the bulk of the effort to defeat Germany and Japan which is incredibly inaccurate. Take everything about the tough fighting the Americans did with a grain of salt, because the Russians experienced exponentially worse and they're always looked over by Burns and his ilk.

Sorry for ranting I'm just incredibly passionate about WWII history ya dig.

TCRS

Banned
recommend me a documentary pls. my pizza is done in 10 mins I need to watch something.

edit: I think I'm going to watch Ken Burns's The Civil War. Always wanted to know more about that.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
recommend me a documentary pls. my pizza is done in 10 mins I need to watch something.

edit: I think I'm going to watch Ken Burns's The Civil War. Always wanted to know more about that.

Earth In a Day.
The Union: The Business Behind Getting High.
Park Avenue: Money, Power and the American Dream.
Samsara (more visual, no spoken words).
Happy.
Exit Through the Gift Shop.
Indie Game: The Movie (bit dramatic, but still interesting.

Someone on here said H.H. Holmes: America's First Serial Killer is good as well.

TCRS

Banned
Cheers, watched Park Avenue. I feared it would be a lefty whine fest and sometimes it veered in that direction, but overall it was pretty good and quite the eye opener. I'm glad I live in a european social democracy.

IISANDERII

Watched In Time because it's expiring in a few days and was pleasantly amused. The first 30 are particularly intriguing and it's got an interesting cast with J Timberlake, Cilian Murphy, Pete Campbell and Olivia Wild

Oh Netflix Canada it is

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Cheers, watched Park Avenue. I feared it would be a lefty whine fest and sometimes it veered in that direction, but overall it was pretty good and quite the eye opener. I'm glad I live in a european social democracy.

I put it on randomly one day and it was good. I agree with the whine fest, but overall, still worth the watch.

Watched In Time because it's expiring in a few days and was pleasantly amused. The first 30 are particularly intriguing and it's got an interesting cast with J Timberlake, Cilian Murphy, Pete Campbell and Olivia Wild

Oh Netflix Canada it is

Low expectations helped me enjoy the movie. Although, it does get kinda slow/boring towards the middle. JT and Amanda Seyfried were great. The concept is interesting as well.

Saw it myself a couple of hours ago. Makes a great pair with Inside Job in terms of "The rich are screwing us over".

Watched Atrocious just now. Almost nothing happens in the first 40 min but the last 30 are incredibly tense. It´s weird, I don´t think I can call it a good movie but I can´t remember the last time a movie made me so nervous that I had to turn the lights on, so it was at least effective in scaring me. This movie and Blair Witch show that there´s nothing scarier that someone running through the woods with a handheld camera while something creepy is going on.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Apollo 18: Terrible. Not even worth the write up. Only if you are a huge fan of Sci and Horror should you check it out. Boring and half the time you can't see what the heck is going on. Don't listen to the positive reviews like I did.

Finally saw 13 Assassins. Holy shit, that movie was awesome

And Restrepo is now my favorite documentary. Well maybe "favorite" is the wrong word, but it's just so raw.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
How come no one told me Louie was so good? Just marathon'd the first two seasons this weekend back to back. Such a great show.

Apollo 18: Terrible. Not even worth the write up. Only if you are a huge fan of Sci and Horror should you check it out. Boring and half the time you can't see what the heck is going on. Don't listen to the positive reviews like I did.

When I watched that I don't even think I was paying attention by the end, which is very rare for me. I hope I wasn't one of the ones who gave it a positive review...lol.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
How come no one told me Louie was so good? Just marathon'd the first two seasons this weekend back to back. Such a great show.
Clearly you're hanging with the wrong crowd.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
A little bit more at the link.

Netflix announced its third quarter numbers today. It beat expectations with revenue of $1.11 billion and earnings per share of $0.52. It also hit the high end of its guidance by adding 1.3 million new domestic subscribers, giving it 31.1 million US subscribers and pushing it past rival HBO.

For all the media junkies keeping score, Netflix noted in its earnings report that Orange is the New Black is on track to become its most watched original series by year's end, beating out the award winning House of Cards.

Kaladin

Finished up Walking Dead Season 3.....wtf.

All that disposition for nothing....a little scrap at the end.

If you only watch shows on Netflix, you're going to hate this show at the end of season 3.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Oh man really? My friend was telling me how jump and down S3 was. Reason I haven't started watching it yet.

Kaladin

Oh man really? My friend was telling me how jump and down S3 was. Reason I haven't started watching it yet.

It's one of those....really, that's the end? endings.

I'm glad I subbed to season 4 on Amazon.

When I say you're going to hate it if you only watch shows on Netflix, you're going to hate having to wait after that finale.....it feels more like it should be a mid-season finale.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Well deserved for OITNB. I enjoyed that series more than House of Cards. Probably because everyone on HOC is a terrible person lol

Oh...and I just found out today that the actress that plays Red in OITNB was the female captain from Star Trek Voyager...i know lttp...but MIND BLOWN.

sol_bad

What do you use to watch Netflix on the PC?

Just Google Chrome or Firefox.
Are there other ways to watch it on PC?

*EDIT*
And am I just crazy or has Netflix started doing anime with multilingual options?
I could have sworn months ago they were all in English only.

WTF, since when did the queue have a limit of 500? (and why is mine at 579 and why it is telling me that 500 is the limit?)

Really? I only have 6 (4 of which are Star Trek, the other two are Samsara and US The Office). Usually I drop things if I don't think I'm going to watch them for a long time.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just Google Chrome or Firefox.
Are there other ways to watch it on PC?

*EDIT*
And am I just crazy or has Netflix started doing anime with multilingual options?
I could have sworn months ago they were all in English only.
Windows media center app, Windows 8.1 app.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Magic Puppy (Family, Comedy)
B Gata H Kei - Yamada's First Time (Anime)

Coming Soon on Nov 1st:

Chuck
The Killing: Season 3
Blacula
Jack Frost
The Wild Thornberrys Movie
Charlotte's Web (2006)
Hey Arnold! The Movie
The Polar Express
Bebe's Kids
The Addams Family (1991)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Teen Wolf
High Noon
Cheech & Chong's Next Movie
Heaven's Lost Property: Season 1
Sharknado
Fullmetal Alchemist (Nov 15th)
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Beginning of the End, Werewolf, I Accuse My Parents (Nov 19th)

Top Bottom