• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Milchmann

I was watching it on my PC which is hooked up to my Pioneer 1080p plasma, Onkyo TX-805 AV receiver and Paradigm Monitor 9 fronts / CC290 centre / ADP390 rears / Ultracube 10 subwoofer.

I had the video running at 3000mbps which I assume affects the audio too?

Did you use the video player on the Netflix site? This player doesn't support Super HD and afaik not even 5.1 sound. If you have another Netflix compatible device you should try Netflix there.

Very interested.
I just finished watching season 2 of The Walking Dead on Blu Ray, has some fairly aggressive audio in the action set pieces. Thought I'd quickly check it out on Netflix for comparison sake.
As expected there is a large drop in quality on the video side.
Unexpectadly thre is a MASSIVE drop in the audio quality. I swear to god the audio must be at the lowest possible bit rate they could possibly do. It was painful to listen to how muddled the audio quality was. It's certainly turned me off from watching an action based TV series on Netflix.

Does anyone know if Netflix will be improving their sound quality any time soon?
It might make a difference if you choose 2.0 over 5.1.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I was watching it on my PC which is hooked up to my Pioneer 1080p plasma, Onkyo TX-805 AV receiver and Paradigm Monitor 9 fronts / CC290 centre / ADP390 rears / Ultracube 10 subwoofer.

I had the video running at 3000mbps which I assume affects the audio too?

https://help.netflix.com/article/en/node/2493

So it looks like 720p max and only stereo? If you have Windows 8 you should use the Windows 8 app. Otherwise you'll want to use one of the supported devices to get Super HD and 5.1.

https://help.netflix.com/article/en/node/8731

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Band Called Death (Documentary, Social, Biographical)
A Sea Change (Documentary, Science)
Dirty Wars (Documentary, Cultural)
God's Precious Jewels (Drama, Faith)
Goosebumps: Specials (TV, Kids)
Graceland (Indie, Thriller, Foreign)
Ivan the Incredible (Family, Adventure)
Maniac (Horror, Slasher)
Pieta (Drama, Crime, Foreign/Korean)
Stud Life (Drama, Romantic, Gay & Lesbian)
Tanked: Season 2 (TV, Reality)
The Jungle Book (2010, Family)
The Whale (Documentary, Nature)
TWA: Flight 800 (Documentary)
Violeta Went to Heaven (Documentary, Biographical)
Wild Animal Baby Explorers (TV, Kids)
Will a Man Rob God? (Drama, Faith)
Winx Club (TV, Kids)

Merguson

Banned
It looks like Moreflix is dead. Site hasn't been updated in quite a while now. Too bad.

As far as Smallville goes, there's some sort of lawsuit going on and it won't be added until that's resolved.

Oh, yeah you're right. I used moreflicks to see the available movies on the Netflix regions.

Any other sites like that?

IISANDERII

Just watched Casa de Mi Padre

casa-de-mi-padre.jpg

Had no clue what to expect and after watching it, I'm not sure what I just saw. Many will immediately dislike it because it's subtitled but I really enjoyed it.

Basically, it's a satire on Mexican soap operas with bizarre elements tossed in. But beneath the dark comedy, clichés and Bengali tigers, is a very well paced story with good dramatic effect, excellent music and meaningful, brutal violence. Take away the satire and add in scenes with lengthy dialogue and you're close to Tarantino. Incredibly, the least funny thing about this is Will Ferrell; he plays it straight and does an excellent job, it was easy to forget that this is Will Ferrell.
And Genesis Rodriguez is impossible not to love.

Anyway, hope I'm not overselling it because many will find it awful...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So thoughts after wrapping up S1 of Continuum: the lead in this is great, really enjoy her (and she's a lot better of an actor than the first episode or two would indicate) unfortunately the show that's wrapped around her isn't quite as interesting.

Time travel never works, ever.

Anyway, I will probably watch S2 just because she is pretty. hahaha

Some quick recaps and grades for some of the movies I've seen recently.

The Penitent Man: The future is boring. Very very boring. 1 Star

John Dies at the End: That's some spicy Sake! Simple good fun 3 Stars

The Awakening: This charming ghost story is set against the backdrop of an early 1900's boys school in the English countryside and is every bit as boring as something like that sounds like it would be. Will give some credit for strong acting performances from the lead as well as The Wire's McNulty pulling off a pretty convincing English accent. 2 Stars

The Bay: THE ASS WAS FAT. 4 Stars

House: I watched this movie when it came out and thought it was good

House 2: What was wrong with me? 1 Star for both.

Hellraiser: Also watched this movie when it first came out and loved it then. Maybe my taste in movies isnt so bad after all. 4 Stars

Upside Down: Goes nowhere. 1 Star

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The Awakening: This charming ghost story is set against the backdrop of an early 1900's boys school in the English countryside and is every bit as boring as something like that sounds like it would be. Will give some credit for strong acting performances from the lead as well as The Wire's McNulty pulling off a pretty convincing English accent. 2 Stars

lol :p

Looking forward to checking out A Band Called Death at the weekend. It's the story of one of the earliest punk bands which was formed by some black guys in the 70s. Makes me long for an alternate timeline where the music industry wasn't so segregated. BLACK PEOPLE MUST DO RAPPING, GUITARS ARE FOR WHITE PEOPLE - umm, no.

C4Lukins

Just watched Casa de Mi Padre

casa-de-mi-padre.jpg

Had no clue what to expect and after watching it, I'm not sure what I just saw. Many will immediately dislike it because it's subtitled but I really enjoyed it.

Basically, it's a satire on Mexican soap operas with bizarre elements tossed in. But beneath the dark comedy, clichés and Bengali tigers, is a very well paced story with good dramatic effect, excellent music and meaningful, brutal violence. Take away the satire and add in scenes with lengthy dialogue and you're close to Tarantino. Incredibly, the least funny thing about this is Will Ferrell; he plays it straight and does an excellent job, it was easy to forget that this is Will Ferrell.
And Genesis Rodriguez is impossible not to love.

Anyway, hope I'm not overselling it because many will find it awful...

It is not very good, but the fact that it exists is awesome. The idea that Ferrell would do something so completely non commercial for the sake of a larger joke is quite amusing to me.

jakncoke

Banned
Doomsday Bunkers make me think how can scheme to get money from crazy people. This dude has gotten anywhere from 50k to 450k on bunkers

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

21 & Over (Comedy)
Devil (Horror)
Emily Owens, M.D. (TV, Medical, Drama)
In Bruges (Action, Comedy, Crime)

Sweden:

Archer - Season 4 (Animation, Comedy)
Constantine (Action, Fantasy)
Green Lantern (Action)
Halloween: Resurrection (Horror)
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (Comedy)
My Boss's Daughter (Comedy)
Poseidon (Action)
Ross Bennett : Live in Toomler, Amsterdam (Stand-up)
Sean Collins : Live in Toomler, Amsterdam (Stand-up)
Steve Hughes : Live in Toomler, Amsterdam (Stand-up)
Shaolin Soccer (Action, Martial Arts, Comedy)
The Legend of Drunken Master (Action, Martial Arts)

UK:

Candleshoe (Family, Adventure)
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (Biographical, Drama, Martial Arts)
Seven Psychopaths (Action, Comedy)

Mexico:

Thor: Tales of Asgard (Animation, Action)

Netherlands:

Grindhouse: Planet Terror (Action, Thriller, Horror)

Devil was decent for a Midnight Shamalamadingdong movie.

That´s because he didn´t have much to do with it. It´s based on a short story he wrote but the screenplay was written by Brian Nelson (who also wrote Hard Candy) and directed by John Erick Dowdle (writer and director of The Poughkeepsie Tapes).
M. Night was producing this as a part of a collection of horror tales called The Night Chronicles. The second was supposed to be kind of 12 Angry Men but with a supernatural case and the third one would be using part of the story M. Night had written for an Unbreakable sequel.
I haven´t heard anything about those 2 projects in quite a while.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
As an NFL fan I kinda couldn't care less about Thursday night games. They're atrocious in every way and shouldn't exist.

RBH

Netflix has obtained exclusive subscription video-on-demand rights to additional Disney titles for its just-launched streaming service in the Netherlands, starting in 2014.

Under this expanded pact with Disney, Netflix has exclusive subscription VOD rights in the Dutch market for live-action and animated movies, including Marvel’s “The Avengers,” Pixar’s “Monsters University,” and “The Lone Ranger.” The deal also covers library titles including “The Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl,” “Ratatouille” and “WALL-E,” as well as ABC’s “Lost” and other shows.
http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/netflix-disney-extend-deal-for-netherlands-1200730685/

Does anyone know if there are more After Dark Horrorfest movies on Netflix in other regions (or even Amazon Prime)? I've seen all of the first 3 years and all of the movies available on US Netflix but, would like to find some more of those to watch online if possible.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is that Devil movie you guys were talking about the one that takes place in an elevator?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Watching Ken Burns' The War, his doc on WWII. Seven 2-hour episodes and I'm three episodes in. Very good stuff. I'm liking it more than his Prohibition doc, although the subject matter is of course a lot more dramatic, and there's tons of great combat footage.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Nikita: Season 3 hits tomorrow.

Watching Ken Burns' The War, his doc on WWII. Seven 2-hour episodes and I'm three episodes in. Very good stuff. I'm liking it more than his Prohibition doc, although the subject matter is of course a lot more dramatic, and there's tons of great combat footage.

Can't believe I didn't know about this. I can never get enough of WWII related doc's/series.

Jimothy

IN BRUGES

I know what I'm watching tonight.
This doc is hilarious in its attempt to downplay the Soviet Union's role in defeating Germany. The best thing you can say about Burns is that he makes watchable propaganda.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Cross posting again from Halloween marathon:

Pontypool (Netflix US): Good film. Tthe final half isn't as strong as the first. I loved the concept of
the English language being infected and spreading a virus.
The fear of the unknown displayed in the first half was fantastic. You never knew more than the characters did. The actors were great. Especially Stephen McHattie (Grant).

I think around the part where
Laurel pukes her guts out
is when the movie starts to fall apart for me. It was interesting to see
Laurel being turned into a zombie
but after that I think it becomes
a zombie movie
without the action. Also the ending is pretty bad.

Dead Silence (Netflix Canada):
Great horror movie. Loved every minute of it. The dolls are creepy.
The woman is terrifying. The image of her face as been implanted into my skull. Gives me shivers thinking about it.
I liked the fact that they don't spend half the movie dicking around on
whether the dolls are alive or not.
There are plenty of scares to be had. I jumped quite a few times. It was a nice touch to have the ambient sounds start going away slowly. The only negative thing I would say about the film, is that the lead actor acting is spotty.

The Mist (Netflix Canada): First time seeing this movie and I can't believe how long it has taken me to watch this. Tons of mystery and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. I could've done without so much religious banter though. She was seriously getting annoying. Especially in the beginning when she was preaching until the end of times. Tons of likeable characters. Lots of twists and turns to keep your head guessing. I did not see the ending coming. Well kinda.
I thought the movie would cop out and the tanks and army would start to roll on by. My jaw dropped them when the gunshots went off. Didn't think he would actually pull the trigger and off all of them. Since I figured the movie would go for a happy book ending.

Can anyone recommend any feel-good, coming-of-age movies? Really been in the mood for one lately. I just watched Submarine and thought it was awesome.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Can anyone recommend any feel-good, coming-of-age movies? Really been in the mood for one lately. I just watched Submarine and thought it was awesome.

Dazed and Confused (Mexico).
Super bad (UK).
American Graffiti (Mexico).
My Girl (UK).
The Goonies (Sweden).

Could probably also toss Super8 into the mix. Shame they don't have Stand By Me. My girl and Goonies are right up your alley.

Top Bottom