• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

Nekofrog

Banned
Just to update those who don't know what's going on:

There was a massive, game breaking exploit discovered last night that enabled literally anyone to make billions of astral diamonds in mere minutes. It required logging on to the web interface auction house, and bidding a negative amount of AD on an item. You would then receive that amount of AD in a positive amount, plus the item.

Probably hundreds of billions of AD was "created" magically by players, who then proceeded to wreak havoc on the economy by buying all the high priced AD items and giving them away for free (cats), or converting it to Zen and then buying all the high priced Zen items and giving them away for free (pets, mounts, etc).

They disabled the auction house and ad/zen converter a few hours ago, but left the servers up. People continued to give their ill gotten gains away to anyone and everyone who asked for hours until Cryptic addressed the situation.

Servers are down now. Nobody knows if there will be a full wipe, a rollback, or if nothing will happen.

Honestly, if they don't roll back I'm fucking done with this game, as much as I love it.

Anton668

Servers are down now. Nobody knows if there will be a full wipe, a rollback, or if nothing will happen.

Honestly, if they don't roll back I'm fucking done with this game, as much as I love it.

from the forum -
Update 12PM Pacific: We are still investigating the situation. There is a high likelihood that we will be performing character-specific rollbacks on any accounts that were found to be utilizing the exploit. Additionally, we are investigating the extent of what can additional steps can be taken to remove any illegitimately obtained Astral Diamonds that have entered into the economy. We are also investigating the possibility of a shard-wide rollback.

Update 1:30PM Pacific: We are identifying the accounts that have utilized the AH exploit and will be taking action against said accounts. We are also still investigating the severity of the issue and its impact on the game, and from this information we will take corrective action. Estimated downtime is at least two more hours. We’ll have more updates for you soon. Thanks for your support and patience as we continue smoothing things out during Open Beta!

Drazgul

There was a massive, game breaking exploit discovered last night that enabled literally anyone to make billions of astral diamonds in mere minutes.

Actually, it was known since closed beta and some people did report it. And what did the GMs do? Absolutely nothing.

PW has handled all the other exploits so far in a terrible fashion, but this one just takes the cake. Rollback or I'm out.

Nekofrog

Banned
Actually, it was known since closed beta and some people did report it. And what did the GMs do? Absolutely nothing.

PW has handled all the other exploits so far in a terrible fashion, but this one just takes the cake. Rollback or I'm out.

Jesus Christ. No faith in this team whatsoever.

I actually had a BAD experience this morning playing this game. Went to "Ebon Downs" and had to deal with right clicking bone piles only to find that there aren't even enough to pass the quest? 6/8, everyone in zone had the same problem.

Whatever, no big deal right? Move on to next area. As a trickster rogue i have NO AOE. I have that blitz skill and a daily power for aoe and thats it, otherwise i have to deal with the enemies one by one, and it gets ANNOYING. So many zombies i have to aoe down when only 2 skills with huge cooldowns. So I go into this door, dont remember the quest, but i have to collect like 20 seals and light 20 braziers. The layout of the area is literally ANTI- TRICKSTER ROGUE.

Einbroch

Banned
It's PW, not sure what you guys expected. This is the team that launches fairly balanced games (in terms of cash shops), then rolls out massive game-breaking items that are cash shop only, completely ruining the game.

PW is trash. I told my friend about the game. He watched a trailer and said it looked good. I sent him the link to the site, he saw "PW" and immediately said "no thanks".

Zaph

I was surprised when they released the web interface so quickly, as it usually takes MMO's a while to get that stuff working. Looks like PW might have forced it out before it was secure, probably so they could rake in that browser gaming money ASAP.

That's the problem with having a completely built-from-the-ground-up F2P model. The moment there is a single serious exploit, everything is fucked because currency can basically buy almost anything in the game. It also has a knock-on effect of screwing with other games that use the same global currency.

B2P is the superior model. Any exploits usually only effect inconsequential, cosmetic items.

Walshicus

It's PW, not sure what you guys expected. This is the team that launches fairly balanced games (in terms of cash shops), then rolls out massive game-breaking items that are cash shop only, completely ruining the game.

PW is trash. I told my friend about the game. He watched a trailer and said it looked good. I sent him the link to the site, he saw "PW" and immediately said "no thanks".

While it's technically Perfect World, it's being run by Cryptic. From experience with Star Trek Online they've actually done a pretty good job of keeping things balanced.

And I don't think you can cast the same scorn on the "cash shop" when a player is perfectly capable of buying everything in it by exchanging the in-game currency for Zen without ever having paid a penny.

Dec

But all the word of mouth is
rightfully
negative.

I think the game itself is fantastic. I really, really can't fault people for being upset about PW or Cryptic being the ones running the show. I don't have much experience with their previous games but at this point I've nearly lost hope of even being able to log into my account. Spent $50 on the game so far and looks like I'm going to be banned forever or until I have no interest in the game anymore.

In the end. Game's good, shop is OK, balance is bad, support is awful.

SUPARSTARX

The games fun but right now at level 60 with 11k gearscore and cleared nearly everything, the AH market is what's left for me to play with as I don't wanna dump more real money into it (I have $60 founders pack). I'm just a liiiiittle bored.

Besides the auction house/AD/Zen exchange game, it's just RNG loot drops from long instances.

Since I'm not much of a PVPer, that's out also.

I think I'm going to plan out a foundry to design or something. That looks interesting.

I actually had a BAD experience this morning playing this game. Went to "Ebon Downs" and had to deal with right clicking bone piles only to find that there aren't even enough to pass the quest? 6/8, everyone in zone had the same problem.

Whatever, no big deal right? Move on to next area. As a trickster rogue i have NO AOE. I have that blitz skill and a daily power for aoe and thats it, otherwise i have to deal with the enemies one by one, and it gets ANNOYING. So many zombies i have to aoe down when only 2 skills with huge cooldowns. So I go into this door, dont remember the quest, but i have to collect like 20 seals and light 20 braziers. The layout of the area is literally ANTI- TRICKSTER ROGUE.

Oh, that's why you need to spec into "Blitz" and "Path of Blades".
Go stealth, activate PoB in the midst of a mob group, jump back and throw shurikens at them with Blitz, then drop a bait if need be and just throw shurikens at them from a distance to finish off the stragglers. If they got a boss involved, you just use your Daily or wait for it to attack the bait (to fill up your daily meter).

I was surprised when they released the web interface so quickly, as it usually takes MMO's a while to get that stuff working. Looks like PW might have forced it out before it was secure, probably so they could rake in that browser gaming money ASAP.

That's the problem with having a completely built-from-the-ground-up F2P model. The moment there is a single serious exploit, everything is fucked because currency can basically buy almost anything in the game. It also has a knock-on effect of screwing with other games that use the same global currency.

B2P is the superior model. Any exploits usually only effect inconsequential, cosmetic items.

Apparently this exploit was known back in closed beta, but never fixed.
Honestly, at that point, it's completely the fault of Cryptic.

It's not like the "fix" to this exploit is even that demanding - they should have disabled teh "Gateway" the moment they heard of this in beta, until they could make sure it would not happen once the game had launched.

I got burnt out on it a week ago and deleted my character. I may get back into it in the future but I think my next MMO will be Wildstar. Neverwinter was a lot of fun while my interest lasted, though.

usea

I got burnt out on it a week ago and deleted my character. I may get back into it in the future but I think my next MMO will be Wildstar. Neverwinter was a lot of fun while my interest lasted, though.
So far I haven't really enjoyed it much. There are so many problems with it, too. It's kind of a huge mess with almost nothing appealing about it.

I'm only level 35 though.

OK I take that back. The foundry is a pretty cool concept. I don't enjoy it that much personally, but I'm glad it's there. I think mmos should have more of that in the future. I also like that damage/healing/etc tracking is built into the game. And I guess it's nice that you can queue for dungeons and such, too many games don't have that for some reason. That's about all the good things I have to say about it.

Nibiru

Banned
And PoE is?

I think it's the best arpg out atm, that is not only from an small dev team but the engine was done in house. If anyone needed an open Beta it was them.

Dota 2 still being in open beta is a joke and Neverwinter uses the exact same engine as champ online and STO and are from a large dev that has extensive experience in mmos. The sheer amount of game breaking bugs in NW is unacceptable for an open beta where they are selling currency and not having character wipes.

I guess it is an improvement for Cryptic though who released Star Trek online in such a horrible state that I got a refund from Steam after playing the head start. They didn't even have quests or a story mode for Klingons, one of two factions, all you could do was pvp with them LOL.

Dec

I think it's the best arpg out atm, that is not only from an small dev team but the engine was done in house. If anyone needed an open Beta it was them.

Dota 2 still being in open beta is a joke and Neverwinter uses the exact same engine as champ online and STO and are from a large dev that has extensive experience in mmos. The sheer amount of game breaking bugs in NW is unacceptable for an open beta where they are selling currency and not having character wipes.

I guess it is an improvement for Cryptic though who released Star Trek online in such a horrible state that I got a refund from Steam after playing the head start. They didn't even have quests or a story mode for Klingons, one of two factions, all you could do was pvp with them LOL.

Dota 2 could be out of beta but it's obvious it has come leaps and bounds from what it was when it first launched as a beta. When all the heroes that are in Dota are in Dota 2, I'm sure it'll come out of beta. Until then the game isn't finished, as polished as it is.

Carcetti

Haven't played in a few days so wasn't affected by this shenanigans but I'm firmly in the camp where game is no longer in beta if it doesn't have a character wipe coming up and it's selling content for real money.

Ezio

This is honestly kind of to be expected. I for one am glad they did a rollback and not a complete wipe. I don't have a ton of time to play as it is, so having to start over would've really stunk. Hopefully they get most of the people who exploited, perma banned somehow. I know it's PW, but so far I still enjoy this game a lot. Also, they are supposed to be giving away a free-pack this week as a small compensation. It's probably going to be nothing major but, they don't have to give away anything really.

mrlion

So far I played it the whole weekend and I thought it was a decent MMO. Definitely a "filler" for those who are stuck in between raid tiers or waiting for a bigger MMO. But I don't see myself playing this for a long time, its only if there is nothing to do in between.

Xiaoki

This is honestly kind of to be expected. I for one am glad they did a rollback and not a complete wipe. I don't have a ton of time to play as it is, so having to start over would've really stunk. Hopefully they get most of the people who exploited, perma banned somehow. I know it's PW, but so far I still enjoy this game a lot. Also, they are supposed to be giving away a free-pack this week as a small compensation. It's probably going to be nothing major but, they don't have to give away anything really.

A 7 hour rollback is pointless. Well, it might convince some people that they actually did something but everyone else knows Cryptic is just trying to sweep this under the rug and pretend its all better now.

Only complete idiots did heavy exploiting on their main accounts. Pretty much everyone that exploited made a dozen dummy accounts to do it.

The exploiters still have hundreds of millions of AD(and in some cases billions, yes Billions) because they've been exploiting for weeks, not just 7 hours.

Dec

Woah.

"I have lifted the temporary suspension placed on your account.

Is there anything else I can help you with?"

I'm surprised.

Dec

That's why I got those lol

I just hit 60 on my cleric and checked my mailbox..would have been nice had I known.

My reward for hitting 60 is a closed AH so I cannot buy better gear to start hitting T1 dungeons

You could get PVP gear while waiting, or just go for it. Should be able to do do cloak tower and cragmire at least really easily without any gear.

Dunlop

Dungeon bugged out literally at the last boss screwing us all out of a epic for the dungeon delve event.
The boe nature of all the stops pretty much guarantees I will never pug any of these runs

Dungeon bugged out literally at the last boss screwing us all out of a epic for the dungeon delve event.
The boe nature of all the stops pretty much guarantees I will never pug any of these runs

I just quit when I hit 60. Unless you have a group of friends that play at the same time as you, you are screwed.

Xiaoki

In their State of the Game Letter Cryptic says they are working on improving how drops work but no timeframe for when it will happen of course.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
In their State of the Game Letter Cryptic says they are working on improving how drops work but no timeframe for when it will happen of course.
I wish they would ditch the unidentified item thing but I don't see that happening.

Really starting to question whether or not to continue on my cleric. I enjoy healing in this game, but the imps in the mad dragon dungeon really got my blood boiling. I get the mechanic, first anti healer thing I've had to deal with, but I hate how they're not something I can really take care of myself. During bosses that summon them continously I'm at the mercy of my pug to actually stop mindlessly dpsing the boss to save me.

usea

Why would they get rid of it?
At best It's pointless and stupid.

I mean, why the hell even have it? What value does it have? The only "benefit" it provides is if you're a fucking asshole designer who wants gamers to be annoyed all the time and spend more f2p money on your game. You have to take up bag space with identification scrolls (of the right fucking level), you have a bunch of unidentified items that are pointless until you ID them. It's a manual process, which requires a bunch of clicking. And if you don't want to do it, selling the items requires more clicking than if they weren't unidentified.

The cons: take up more bag space, cost money to ID items, cost time, add annoyance and tedium.
The pros: none.

How come you have to roll on unidentified items in dungeons? You have to choose whether to roll need, greed or pass on an item when you have no idea if it's even useful to you. It makes absolutely no sense.

It's mind-numbingly, infuriatingly retarded.

Dunlop

Loved the game to 60, kinda lost on what they were thinking making everything BOE

Grouping with pugs is pointless
I have enough AD left over from my Guardian pack to almost completely deck myself up in epics

No carrot on a stick lol

Tried to make an alt, but while fun the first go I am bored doing the exact same thing again.

Bring on Rift!

; )

Dec

At best It's pointless and stupid.

I mean, why the hell even have it? What value does it have? The only "benefit" it provides is if you're a fucking asshole designer who wants gamers to be annoyed all the time and spend more f2p money on your game. You have to take up bag space with identification scrolls (of the right fucking level), you have a bunch of unidentified items that are pointless until you ID them. It's a manual process, which requires a bunch of clicking. And if you don't want to do it, selling the items requires more clicking than if they weren't unidentified.

The cons: take up more bag space, cost money to ID items, cost time, add annoyance and tedium.
The pros: none.

How come you have to roll on unidentified items in dungeons? You have to choose whether to roll need, greed or pass on an item when you have no idea if it's even useful to you. It makes absolutely no sense.

It's mind-numbingly, infuriatingly retarded.

Strange amount of anger considering how plentiful scrolls are and how easy it is to do.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Strange amount of anger considering how plentiful scrolls are and how easy it is to do.
Well it is pretty annoying and only serves as a way to hinder players. Not knowing if you should roll on loot is pretty bad.

Alastor3

I recently started playing and im level 25, does GAF have a guild ?

edit: nevermind I checked the front page.

edit2: damn im not on the right server... :(

Top Bottom