• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New? Asphalt: Urban GT (DS) screens....

Kandinsky

Old?
asphalt-urban-gt-20041102021222969.jpg
asphalt-urban-gt-20041102021226203.jpg

snapty00

Banned
I bet this game would look cooler if the interface was better, similar to the one on the PSP version of Ridge Racer.

I just saw the PSP Ridge Racer thread.

I think Nintendo better knock down their third pillar and start from scratch. I'm not a graphics whore by any means - the GBA is my #1 system this generation - but DAMN. It's like having the choice of playing a PSone or a PStwo.

2D SNESque sprites > PSone/Saturn/N64 3D.

Jonnyram

Yeah, seriously.
Devs should drop the 3D attempts on DS and go with old school 2D racing games like Hotrod, Supercars, Super Sprint etc. A two-screen Super Sprint would be awesome now I think about it. I know there's no chance of Sega ever releasing Hotrod, but it's a nice dream.

Insertia

After seeing those Ridge Racer-PSP scans, I think Nintendo lowballing DS's specs will come back to kick them in the ass when PSP hits the US market.

Mashing

Forgotten Ancient said:
I just saw the PSP Ridge Racer thread.

I think Nintendo better knock down their third pillar and start from scratch. I'm not a graphics whore by any means - the GBA is my #1 system this generation - but DAMN. It's like having the choice of playing a PSone or a PStwo.

2D SNESque sprites > PSone/Saturn/N64 3D.

Well, I'm in agreement BUT you have to look at who's developing this game vs RR PSP game... they're not even close in talent.

Now you can compare the RR DS vs RR PSP and that would be more accurate and it is still not a favorable comparison.

snapty00

Banned
Mashing said:
Well, I'm in agreement BUT you have to look at who's developing this game vs RR PSP game... they're not even close in talent.

Now you can compare the RR DS vs RR PSP and that would be more accurate and it is still not a favorable comparison.
You've got it almost completely backwards. The folks behind this game are VERY talented, while the people behind Ridge Racer DS are...not.

Yeah, Gameloft is VERY talented team. N-Gage version of Asphalt looks identical to this DS version, and N-Gage Ghost Recon is technically awesome.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Neither game looks bad IMO. I guess it just depends on your expectations. So far NDS has a much better library announced IMO. That could all change though. Sony's announced their price for the PSP the ball's in Nintendo's court now. I don't mind these graphics at all. Especially on a handheld. I don't think graphics are nearly as important as the library as far as handhelds are concerned. Both Asphault and RR:pSP look better that RR:NDS though.

Mashing

snapty00 said:
You've got it almost completely backwards. The folks behind this game are VERY talented, while the people behind Ridge Racer DS are...not.

Hmm, oh thast's right NST is doing Ridger Racer DS

Kon Tiki

Banned
Looks very good for the technology it is running on. However, it does not looks as good GT4 or Forza. Therefore, it sucks.

I admit these graphics are pretty nice. If the framerate is 60fps, it'll be better than anything last generation's systems could do.

But, FUCK. The PSP is breaking my heart. Please, oh GOD Nintendo, Keep the DS's focus on 2-D games.

2-D top-view RPGS > 3-D Final Fantasy esque games.

If you take away my 2D and give me 3Disgusting, I'm gonna be pissed.

I'm already pissed.

snapty00

Banned
Why Nintendo hasn't attempted to any degree to put together a group of developers in order to compete with Gran Turismo is beyond me. Honestly, when people see Gran Turismo on PSP, they're going to buy a PSP. My dad, the biggest non-gamer on the face of the planet, has only been interested in two videogames in his whole life: Duck Hunt and Gran Turismo.

aoi tsuki

With the prices being so close, it all comes down to games and marketing. The PSP is a technological marvel, especially at the $200 price, but if both systems were sold at cost, i think it would really put things in perspective. Even still, better graphics and sound are icing on the cake, but not the cake itself. The only thing i fear about DS is that it'll get the same treatment as Gamecube, with more kid-friendly games versus the PSP.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

You can go BS on NST all you want, but Wave Race: BS alone is better than any game this Asphalt GT game is responsible for. Just compare the reviews and get off this bandwagon bs.

snapty00

Banned
Reviews reviews...

Blue Storm was the biggest load of shit that Nintendo has shat in the past five years. A lot of Nintendo's GameCube sequels have been less-than-stellar, but Blue Storm takes the cake for one of Nintendo's worst sequels.

"Brought to you by the people who butchered Crystalis..."

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Blue Storm was the biggest load of shit that Nintendo has shat in the past five years. A lot of Nintendo's GameCube sequels have been less-than-stellar, but Blue Storm takes the cake for one of Nintendo's worst sequels.

Fuck everyone who says shit without playing games, and making up their own minds. Blue Storm has been the best Nintendo sequel outside of Metroid Prime in the first-gen era. Pokemon Puzzle League, Blue Storm, 1080 Avalanche, BC: Elite Forces, Mario Vs Donkey Kong, Ridge Racer 64 >>> than 75% of most developers, most of UBI softs games outside their elite 3.

snapty00

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Fuck everyone who says shit without playing games, and making up their own minds. Blue Storm has been the best Nintendo sequel outside of Metroid Prime in the first-gen era. Pokemon Puzzle League, Blue Storm, 1080 Avalanche, BC: Elite Forces, Mario Vs Donkey Kong, Ridge Racer 64 >>> than 75% of most developers, most of UBI softs games outside their elite 3.
lol Go off the fucking deep-end about it.

aoi tsuki

snapty00 said:
Reviews reviews...

"Brought to you by the people who butchered Crystalis..."
Between Wave Race: Blue Storm and 1080: Avalanche, the only problem i've had in terms of NST's technical ability was with the framerate. Blue Storm's was a constant 30fps, which isn't bad for a launch title with four player split-screen and progressive scan play. Avalanche's was inconsistent, though.

MrparisSM

Banned
This looks just like the N-gage game you say? I TRULY hope that the DS doesn't have the same exact tech as the N-gage. Even though it was 3D, it looked rather awful to me.... And now that I think about it, isn't the DS and the N-gage using the same ARM chips??

Kon Tiki

Banned
MrparisSM said:
This looks just like the N-gage game you say? I TRULY hope that the DS doesn't have the same exact tech as the N-gage. Even though it was 3D, it looked rather awful to me.... And now that I think about it, isn't the DS and the N-gage using the same ARM chips??
Yes Arm9. IIRC the clock speed favours Ngage.

snapty00

Banned
A developer at the IGNboards says that the Nintendo 64 had a better CPU but that the DS has a better GPU. So, that's probably where the difference is being made up between DS and NGage.

Society said:
Yes Arm9. IIRC the clock speed favours Ngage.
Yes, N-Gage has faster ARM but lacks GPU. And N-Gage games run on top of full operating system...unlike dedicated game consoles. N-Gage Asphalt has similar graphical details as DS version, but N-Gage Asphalt runs at around 20-24fps while DS Asphalt is rumoured to run at 60fps.

MrparisSM

Banned
Project Midway said:
Yes, N-Gage has faster ARM but lacks GPU. And N-Gage games run on top of full operating system...unlike dedicated game consoles. N-Gage Asphalt has similar graphical details as DS version, but N-Gage Asphalt runs at around 20-24fps while DS Asphalt is rumoured to run at 60fps.

Having N-gage tech is ridiculous to me. regardless if it was 60fps or not(which I really doubt that it is, more like 30 fps I would guess). N-gage was a complete bomb, not just because of the ackward controll, but also because of the sub-par graphics. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't fall victem to the same mistakes.

Jonnyram

snapty00 said:
My dad, the biggest non-gamer on the face of the planet, has only been interested in two videogames in his whole life: Duck Hunt and Gran Turismo.
Hmm, maybe Duck Hunt on the DS would be good :D

FightyF

Banned
The draw distance isn't bad. Meaning it's doing a decent amount of geometry.

It's just that that the textures are horrible!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Project Midway said:
Yeah, Gameloft is VERY talented team. N-Gage version of Asphalt looks identical to this DS version, and N-Gage Ghost Recon is technically awesome.
Preach it brother, Ghost Recon is a technical marvel, I'm surprised of how good it looks.

MrparisSM

Banned
Project Midway said:
Are there any DS Asphalt videos available? I would like to see how it looks like at 60fps. Here's couple vids (1.5-2mb each) from the N-Gage version. Too bad they are heavily compressed with lots of artifacts. Anyway, fun little racer, especially the multiplayer mode is great stuff.

Asphalt Video1
Asphalt Video2
Asphalt Video3

Hmmm, those vids weren't half bad. :) I'm hoping the frame rate is better and that they clean up the textures somewhat.

On another note. Why do people insist that the Second screen be used for something ground breaking? It's an option, not a requirement for games on the DS.

Suerte

Wow, looks quite Rush/Midtown Madness/Beetle Adventure Racing like! Hopefully there will be hidden shortcuts, etc

Top Bottom