• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

New Myth Kickstarter up...reprinted rules/cards, clear distinction between Adventure & Story, two big expansions (sewer gators & Egyptian creatures), two new characters, and some new mechanics like alternate leveling for heroes.

Anyone else get into this game?

How is the first game? Is it like Descent but co-op only? I don't know if I need another miniature game but I am always game for co-op and solo-able game.

edit: looking at reviews on BGG and elsewhere, it seems to be mixed with mostly "OK". It looks like a lesser version of MageKnight to me.

Palmer_v1

How is the first game? Is it like Descent but co-op only? I don't know if I need another miniature game but I am always game for co-op and solo-able game.

edit: looking at reviews on BGG and elsewhere, it seems to be mixed with mostly "OK". It looks like a lesser version of MageKnight to me.

I think what hurt it was the nearly incomprehensible rulebook that came with it. I spent like 2 hours trying to figure that out and eventually gave up. I might download this snd edition rulebook and see how that goes.

Experien

I had no problem with the rules (still confused how people didn't understand) but a problem that confused people was just the open-ness of the game. My first play of the game had few stumbling blocks and that's just cause one guy didn't know how to tank or do anything.

I've never played descent but i've played Imperial Assault and i guess there is some similarities. You play (move/use cards) and if you use certain actions it increase the Darkness (bad guy meter) and when it reaches 6, the bad guys immediately attack you and does put an interesting discussion on who goes next and does what.

I really like Myth. Played it a few times and been meaning to bring it to the table since getting all minis from the KS. The card control of the characters is very fun.

It is NOT solo at all. The first release did have a slaughterfield/skirmish/wave mode where you just fight creatures which is the main thing you could do solo but the campaign is not soloable.

Myth's biggest problem was that when you sat down, got all the millions of pieces out, got everyone's characters ready, explained how a turn works, etc... you sat there and didn't know how to even set up or start the game.

Speaking more conceptually, I guess, but with that first rule book, it wasn't even clear then frpm a functional standpoint.

Though, now that the plastic induced dust has settled on the game, my group loves it. There's a lot of combos you can do with the cards, there's a lot of role playing your character in the sense of you feel like you know how they should work and how to fight with them. You really feel like you own your character and the loot they find.

But... there's still a lot of ambiguity, and times where you get an item combo and go "Hey, is this broken or are we doing it wrong?" and the game is so open you have to sort of give yourself direction (we usually stick to story quests...).

I feel like it's a bit too soon to get expansions for it (especially if you backed the first kickstarter) but I wouldn't mind picking up the reprinted cards and rule book.

Dryk

Along the same vein as the sleeving topic that just came up and Power Grid, does anyone trick out their favorite board games? Some examples include:
I'm going to build a new box to put my Small World expansions and 6-player map in since they don't fit in the original one and I couldn't find a box the right size. Finding the right size card stock is a pain.

I'm also planning on sticking some labels to the outside of all the trays to make finding shit easier, and tricking out some little plastic tubs to hold the coins because the insert is awful for that. Also printed out some reference booklets because they're essential once you start adding expansion races.

After what happened last time, just wait for retail and see how it turns out. From what I understand the first game was a mess.
What happen last time? I am watching that Thunderbird game carefully and really worry that the dev always add more and more stuffs as their KS money funding rise then unable to fulfill orders because the project become too large. I like that they are adding campaign play to Thunderbird and welcome it but I won't up my pledge because that seems like a way off thing.

What happen last time? I am watching that Thunderbird game carefully and really worry that the dev always add more and more stuffs as their KS money funding rise then unable to fulfill orders because the project become too large. I like that they are adding campaign play to Thunderbird and welcome it but I won't up my pledge because that seems like a way off thing.

The rules were a huge mess for Myth, they had to go through several revisions and did a bunch of videos to try and teach people how to play since backers who got the initial game were left confused and had no idea how to play.

Experien

It is pretty simple. Put down a board piece & populate it based on the legend and move across the board in any order. If monsters appear, place cards you want to use at anytime. When you create 6 or more action points, you finish that 6th point and then let monsters move and attack and then you finish where you left off. Pop a treasure on the board everytime you kill a big guy or kill 3 monsters in one attack movement picks up treasure.

Clear a board, remaining treasure turns to gold and you double move off to a new board. repeat unless you are doing a story mission and they have a special set-up.

joelseph

For giving up on Kickstarter in 2015 I sure am hitting the wagon hard.

Currently kicking

Burgle Bros
Above and Below
Trickerion
Vault Wars
2 Rooms and a Boom

Is it possible to add KS friends outside of social media circles? Would be fun to create a gaf group on KS

I got burned too many times with KS, this hobby is simply too amateurish for it.

I like KS, KS boardgames just don't work in general.

My biggest problem is that a lot of the KS board games just don't feel playtested enough. I know there's a huge difference in the resources an established publisher has to playtest, opposed to a small team trying to get their idea out there through KS.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
My biggest problem is that a lot of the KS board games just don't feel playtested enough. I know there's a huge difference in the resources an established publisher has to playtest, opposed to a small team trying to get their idea out there through KS.

I tend to lookout most for companies where the publisher is the designer and new designers.

There are obvious exceptions (Stonemaeir), but generally I want someone else to be putting their money behind a designers game. Means it's seen some eyes and someone believed in it.

joelseph

I am getting into design, KS is a great way to connect and stay in touch with the up-and-coming designers. Ryan Laukat for example.

Yea too many meh games from kickstarters.

And usually the stretch goals aren't worth it, just better to wait till its at retail online for discount than a handful of promo items. And too many of these kickstarted games end up on sale for 50%+ off before you even get any of your stretch goals.

KS games is feeling pointless unless it's an interesting game that is going to struggle to meet funding, and I want it to succeed. So many big games with big names attached to them come out, big successes, and then we hear nothing again from them and support just doesn't happen.

For giving up on Kickstarter in 2015 I sure am hitting the wagon hard.

Currently kicking

Burgle Bros
Above and Below
Trickerion
Vault Wars
2 Rooms and a Boom

Is it possible to add KS friends outside of social media circles? Would be fun to create a gaf group on KS

I've only done a few kickstarters. Only board game related ones were the digital version of Boss Monsters and i'm currently pouring money into the Ghostbusters one, just because of my love for the source material (plus, many of my new friends like board games, but are only just getting into hobby board gaming, so this seems like a great bridge gap)

Neverfade

KS games is feeling pointless unless it's an interesting game that is going to struggle to meet funding, and I want it to succeed.

This.

Even Fief, which I admittedly backed right at the cusp of my "ok, fuck this" phase wooed me in with what looked like a considerable deal, and while the game is a solid production, I still regret it.

There's just not much incentive to back untested, unproven titles with the way most Kickstarters pan out. And there's not much incentive to back the big boys (looking at you Queen) because you get them two weeks after backers (or sometimes before!) and for 30% less.

At this point, Carl Chudyk would have to team up with FFG to make BSG The Card game for me to even think of backing a tabletop related KS.

joelseph

It seems people are starting to listen to KS complaints. A few of the bigger board games currently seeking funding are offering kickstarters guaranteed discounts from MSRP.

KS seems to be the way for games outside of the top 500 to get sold. Besides the obvious shady companies like queen games and game salute.

I'm ok with that, I'm willing to back a small simple game like tiny epic galaxies on KS and maybe overpay a little, anything over $50 is a no for me.

It seems people are starting to listen to KS complaints. A few of the bigger board games currently seeking funding are offering kickstarters guaranteed discounts from MSRP.

Sure, it's just a preordering system for them though. And a usually it's just not worth the hassle, take a look at the recent Dungeon Lords fiasco.

Doesn't guarantee the game isn't going to suck.

I rather wait and find out how the game is once released and get it cheaper at the same time.

Unless you are going to shower me in tons of freebie exclusives and have good rep behind your game, your KS is not getting my money.

Neverfade

Following designers is ok in theory, but every established designer out there has a turd under their belt.

Any KS could be someone's next.

Experien

Yes, he is in love with some designers, like the above and below guy.

Game looks fun, but nothing special.

I am a fan of the designer. Does it all himself, game gets released early, he usually posts a lot of updates, and doesn't over promise.

Above and Below doesn't seem to be too different (some mechanics remind me of his Architects game). But I can see a definite place in my collection this will fill since I don't own the games it is based off of.

Doesn't hurt that my gf loves his art so I'll have no problem selling her on any of his games.

I am a fan of the designer. Does it all himself, game gets released early, he usually posts a lot of updates, and doesn't over promise.

That's true, and there's merit on what he does, but looking at his track record he seems to release a couple games a year, all of them with mediocre reviews.

Lyng

If all games were made to his specifications, everything would be a 2 player Euro with no player conflict. Yawn.

The funny thing is he is so inconsistent. He describes Terra Mystica as too dry while praising Agricola and Caverna.
I love both Gric and Terra Mystica, but you can hardly call either of them more dry then the other. They are very similar in feel imo.

But yeah I hardly watch his videos anymore, I simply cant stand the constant shaking of the camera and his extreme AP at times.
I like my reviews to the point and nicely edited, which is also why I prefer Joel Eddy and his Drive Through Reviews, and for gameplay Ricky Royals Box of Delight.

Experien

Anyone else hear about Room 25: Season 2 issue?

All the tiles/cardboard punchout has a different color to them so you can see the difference when next to originals. US copies of the game have been recalled and 2-3 month delay. :/

Other countries who have it can buy upcoming sleeves for tiles?

Phthisis

Yay for me, it's my preferred genre!

I mean that's fine, you like what you like, but I can predict what his criticism is going to be within the first 60 seconds for almost every video he does. I wish he'd expand his horizons and bit and be open to other stuff.

Xero

I mean that's fine, you like what you like, but I can predict what his criticism is going to be within the first 60 seconds for almost every video he does. I wish he'd expand his horizons and bit and be open to other stuff.

Rahdo isn't really a reviewer. He usually says don't follow his advice on games. He's mainly just about game run throughs. I think he generally has his final thoughts because so many people want to know what he thinks of a game. If you want a straight review watch other youtubers, that specialize in that.

Karkador

Banned
Rahdo isn't really a reviewer. He usually says don't follow his advice on games. He's mainly just about game run throughs. I think he generally has his final thoughts because so many people want to know what he thinks of a game. If you want a straight review watch other youtubers, that specialize in that.

Eh, he's a reviewer. When he's doing paid Kickstarter previews, enjoying a growing fanbase, and putting his opinion out there on his play throughs, he's an opinion-leader. A review by another name is still a review.

Neverfade

Asmadi Games has teased a "spiritual successor" to Glory to Rome (no Rome or Dinosaurs in the theme though) that should be announced very soon and out by Origins or Gencon.

Praise Chudyk.

Edit: Cieslik says announcement within the week and PNP by The Gathering which is the second weekend in April.

Xero

Eh, he's a reviewer. When he's doing paid Kickstarter previews, enjoying a growing fanbase, and putting his opinion out there on his play throughs, he's an opinion-leader. A review by another name is still a review.

There is a world of difference between his and other reviews, that generally aren't playthroughs. Not to mention his actual thoughts on the game is always on a seperate link. He purposely keeps it optional. I'm not doubting him being a revieweras well, just saying thats more secondary to him being known for runthroughs. I rarely watch his videos to see what he thinks of something, and instead to see how something plays, and I think a lot of people do the same.

Played Nottingham and Smashup at a friends today and now feel the urge to own them. I feel like there are quite a few Smashup expansions to where I would limit them to the monster and Cthulu set. Nottingham was just plain fun.

Mista Koo

CSI has %50 off on Aqua Sphere, just after they shipped my order :(

So the past two weeks I played 7 Wonders a few times. One of which went really well, for once I had a good strategy and didn't play any card that I already had. Ended up 3rd (out of 7) but the top 4 were within a few points from each other.
Got to play Babel for the first time (it was everyone's first time). Since we wouldn't easily get another chance to play with the expansion I suggested we do both Babel and Great Projects. It was fun but also a big mistake. Everyone felt restricted and screwed during most of the game, it was super tense. Also I ended up without any strategy and had a tower tile that would hurt me and only me from the first age due to me playing poorly. I would probably only play with one of the modules at a time, and it seems like Great Projects is the highlight (Babel is just more marketable and changes the game more).

Played more Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Did much worse than my first time but liked it as much, also it was a hit with everyone. Realized at the start of that game that I had one room bonus wrong and I just realized that I had another one wrong.
One bad thing I found was that some favor tiles had special cases and exceptions that are only in the rulebook without any icons on the tiles themselves. Of course we found that out at the end of the game.

zulux21

CSI has %50 off on Aqua Sphere, just after they shipped my order :(

So the past two weeks I played 7 Wonders a few times. One of which went really well, for once I had a good strategy and didn't play any card that I already had. Ended up 3rd (out of 7) but the top 4 were within a few points from each other.

I'm curious, are you saying you only played cards you hadn't played in previous games, or that you didn't play duplicate cards?

I ask because playing the same cards in 7 wonders is against the rules, all of your cards have to be unique.

Mista Koo

I meant duplicates. I always forget that rule and people would either let it go or I'll discard them and get 3 coins whenever I realize it.

Lyng

Thanks for the heads up. Just bought Aquasphere, Kanban and Marvel Dark City for 101 shipped!

Aquasphere looks so cool, shame my wife thinks it looks boring. Beeing a Feld game I am sure I would love it.
But hey she enjoys games like Terra Mystica, Seasons and Mage Knight so who am I to complain :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I guess BGG.Con hotels are sold out -- good for them. I've gone five years running but think this will be the first year I pass. It's still quite fun, but traveling across the country and leaving my family for four days is harder to justify with all the little nuisances that are part of the Con now, especially the lack of open-gaming table space. Maybe I'll change my mind depending how things go.

I've never played Legendary: Marvel before but I'm considering getting the base game and all the expansions in one swoop. That's the base game + 2 big box expansions, and all 4 small box expansions. It seems like an amazing amount of content for around $175 total. Reviews seem to universally praise the game and it's right up my alley in terms of theme.

Good idea or am I off my rocker?

mercviper

I guess BGG.Con hotels are sold out -- good for them. I've gone five years running but think this will be the first year I pass. It's still quite fun, but traveling across the country and leaving my family for four days is harder to justify with all the little nuisances that are part of the Con now, especially the lack of open-gaming table space. Maybe I'll change my mind depending how things go.
What??? Hotels are sold out already? That's crazy. Didn't registration open yesterday?

Edit: March 10 was open reg but still holy cow that was fast :/

Neverfade

Spending 175 on a game you've never played (no matter how good it ends up being) is definitely removed-from-rocker status. (And this is from someone who spent 400 bucks on a single title)

fenners

They knocked the ticket numbers down 100 apparently and are shuffling layout too allegedly... Haven't picked my ticket yet, haven't decided if I can be bothered. Saturday's overcrowding & cliquey-ness soured me a bit.

Neverfade

especially the lack of open-gaming table space.

This blows me away. Wasn't this supposed to be the point of BGG Con? Do away with the more vendory focused GenCon-ish stuff that is.

Edit: Or are we talking a PAX East scenario where demand/attendance is skyrocketed and due to contractual venue obligations they just have no where to put asses.

fenners

This blows me away. Wasn't this supposed to be the point of BGG Con? Do away with the more vendory focused GenCon-ish stuff that is.

It's still thoroughly the focus, but they've definitely increased the vendor space & the space allocated to vendor demos. But attendance is way up in the past couple of years too...

The big issue that bugged people this past year was the chunk of the main ballroom given over to vendors. Management insists that because rooms were opened up elsewhere it counterbalanced it, but like hell it did. Just looking at the map shows open table space decreased.

So combine that with a small attitude shift in folk - they know table space is at a premium, so folk kept onto tables where they could, especially Saturday, and a general decrease in "looking for players" open games, it didn't work as well as it has in the past.

Top Bottom