• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

joelseph

The best Con of the year is this week.

Las Vegas and the show floor is open for a total of 8 hours over two days. :D

I will fly out to GAMA next year if you got a extra badge!

Heading to Geekway in May, they are close to selling out at 1300. Could pimp pandasaurus stickers!

joelseph

This game is tons of fun packed into a tiny box

IMG_3441-Edit-683x1024.jpg

Experien

Played more Imperial Assault...7th mission in the campaign as the Imperials and I don't think I like it. The game just seems so unbalanced. Like there is nothing I can do, especially if my objective is just to wound them all. They all have (and keep getting) all these super powers that stops me from doing anything. Pretty much all my units are lucky to last a round.

It just doesn't seem very balanced. I know it is supposed to be tipped in the Rebel favor for theme but it feels balanced too much in their favor. Out of 7 missions, I've won one side mission (because one of them didn't surround Han so I could kill him) and won one regular mission because they had to transport a prisoner who they didn't properly defend.

My friends say how awful it was and that they are afraid of dying but there is next to no penalty for them to get wounded; they fully recover and lose a small ability (that they don't really use). Doesn't hurt that there are three of them so they get even more health than normal. They say they hate my "add 1 stress and 1 damage" card but that is single use on one person and they can instantly recover that.

I know we aren't playing it wrong. It just feels designed so the Imperials fail hard and all the odds are stacked against them. Kind of want to sell it but want to try Skirmish and wait for my expansions I ordered :/

Played more Imperial Assault...7th mission in the campaign as the Imperials and I don't think I like it. The game just seems so unbalanced. Like there is nothing I can do, especially if my objective is just to wound them all. They all have (and keep getting) all these super powers that stops me from doing anything. Pretty much all my units are lucky to last a round.

It just doesn't seem very balanced. I know it is supposed to be tipped in the Rebel favor for theme but it feels balanced too much in their favor. Out of 7 missions, I've won one side mission (because one of them didn't surround Han so I could kill him) and won one regular mission because they had to transport a prisoner who they didn't properly defend.

My friends say how awful it was and that they are afraid of dying but there is next to no penalty for them to get wounded; they fully recover and lose a small ability (that they don't really use). Doesn't hurt that there are three of them so they get even more health than normal. They say they hate my "add 1 stress and 1 damage" card but that is single use on one person and they can instantly recover that.

I know we aren't playing it wrong. It just feels designed so the Imperials fail hard and all the odds are stacked against them. Kind of want to sell it but want to try Skirmish and wait for my expansions I ordered :/

Funny as in my campaign, the Imperials have won every game but one so far out of 5. Thread on BGG also had people complaining how hard it is for the Rebels...... could be how your playing it? And they aren't using their special abilities before wounding and still winning? That's hard to see, typically the rebel players need to all be working together very well using each others abilities.

Experien

Funny as in my campaign, the Imperials have won every game but one so far out of 5. Thread on BGG also had people complaining how hard it is for the Rebels...... could be how your playing it? And they aren't using their special abilities before wounding and still winning? That's hard to see, typically the rebel players need to all be working together very well using each others abilities.

Stupid Jedi force pushing guys and cancelling my defense dice, Wookie charging in and able to hit everyone and destroy most, FemSolo gets to attack before i activate and move...Stormtroopers die in one hit since the black defensive die is pointless and they have no health so unless I have the expensive Royal Guards or Transdoshian, they are pointless.

fenners

Stupid Jedi force pushing guys and cancelling my defense dice, Wookie charging in and able to hit everyone and destroy most, FemSolo gets to attack before i activate and move...Stormtroopers die in one hit since the black defensive die is pointless and they have no health so unless I have the expensive Royal Guards or Transdoshian, they are pointless.

Stormtroopers are there to get in the way & bog down the rebels.

We've played two missions in our campaign so far, the rebels won the first(because we knew the mission), lost the second side-mission horribly. The empire always feels one step ahead of us (duh, they know the mission & what's going to happen mid-way), and we rarely feel 'in charge'. Usually when that does happen, he spawns something nasty.

Rebels need all these cool abilities to even have a chance. The advantage of the imperials is typically the constant flow of damage you can toss at your opponent, you also should be taking advantage of multi unit squads to keep them on the board to constantly spawn cheap replacements. Yea they die easy, but they also are producing constant bits of damage which adds up. Always try to keep on of the squad out of rebel harm's way so you can keep the cheapies like stormies to keep spawning.

Also beating rebels is typically easy since they lose any mission by simply all being wounded, which isn't all that hard to do. The game uses the Descent 2E rule set, which was designed around being more lethal, so Defense is pretty low compared to overall game damage. Rarely does defense dice ever full cancel out damage being dealt, when an attack is made in the D2E ruleset, some damage is typically going to be done of some value. And with how common PIERCE is on units, defense is also made even more weak. Even crappy units like stormtroopers can do good damage to heroes.

As been said, they work best as roadblocks, with most missions being objective based, they are also mostly all timed. Just positioning your units in situations which forces players to slow down and engage you pushes you towards victory.

Also if the wookie is charging and destroying everything, you are either using cleave wrong or you are spacing your units to close together to make it easy on them.

A big disadvantage thats been expressed by rebel players is lack of info. Imperial player is not supposed to divulge nothing about the mission set up or whats going to happen until it triggers, so each mission typically has several nasty surprise events, and players also are not told where the reinforcement spawn spots are. We had a mission where player was playing the sniper bothan, set himself up in a good location, but round turned and surprise, he was standing next to the spawn of royal guards. So yea he quickly got owned being by himself next to some bad asses, quick player down. You can also do nasty things with your upgrades, I got the upgrade that lets me change any one of my attack dice to whatever I want when I attack. That's extremely powerful.

Keasar

I had the issue with Descent: JiD 2nd Edition where towards the later half of the game, the heroes were so powerful they were stomping all opposition without pause. I couldn't do anything to them, if there was a quest where they had to run and touch certain objects, the elf could pretty much instantly run across half the map in one turn and their necromancer could clear entire rooms with some Wave of the Dead ability.

Even the final boss went down in three turns, those turns spent trying to move him into range to attack them. :(

Since then I havent touched that game and lost interest quickly in Imperial Assault.

Experien

Rebels need all these cool abilities to even have a chance. The advantage of the imperials is typically the constant flow of damage you can toss at your opponent, you also should be taking advantage of multi unit squads to keep them on the board to constantly spawn cheap replacements. Yea they die easy, but they also are producing constant bits of damage which adds up. Always try to keep on of the squad out of rebel harm's way so you can keep the cheapies like stormies to keep spawning.

Even before they had the cool abilities, my forces could barely hurt them unless I had an Epic (who was quickly owned of their powers or dodged by them running). Hard to keep a squad of Stormtroopers on the field when Heroes have attacks that can attack and kill multiple units in one hit. Two Heroes can easily kill a squad of troopers in one turn and still have two actions left over to do whatever. Can't do reinforce if they kill them all in one go. Am I supposed to hide one trooper off in a corner or something? That seems silly and cheap and a sign of unbalance.

Also beating rebels is typically easy since they lose any mission by simply all being wounded, which isn't all that hard to do. The game uses the Descent 2E rule set, which was designed around being more lethal, so Defense is pretty low compared to overall game damage. Rarely does defense dice ever full cancel out damage being dealt, when an attack is made in the D2E ruleset, some damage is typically going to be done of some value. And with how common PIERCE is on units, defense is also made even more weak. Even crappy units like stormtroopers can do good damage to heroes.

Wounding rebels is easy? You playing right? Three rebels means they have extra hitpoints and can heal up easily, not to mention an extra activation. Defense is low but Heroes activate first and get to demolish my troops before I can attack. If I do attack, they just double rest while another member finishes the objective. And with all the cool Rebel powers and two out of three Rebels rolling the white dice, I'd say that yes, defense rolls cancel out a lot of "at most" 4 damage a trooper can do.

As been said, they work best as roadblocks, with most missions being objective based, they are also mostly all timed. Just positioning your units in situations which forces players to slow down and engage you pushes you towards victory.

Timed missions is the only time I might have a chance but never win. Imperial troops aren't roadblocks either cause Rebels can move through them (yes, with 2 movement points) or the Jedi can just come up and push anyone away as it is not an action. So roadblocks can't happen unless there is a door (that can be destroyed in one attack most of the time).

Also if the wookie is charging and destroying everything, you are either using cleave wrong or you are spacing your units to close together to make it easy on them.

Wookie is leveled up so the cleave does 2 damage (same with Jedi), one away from killing a Stormtrooper which the cleave CAN'T be blocked. So main attack kills a trooper and cleave does most damage to another. Jedi has a massive attack so she can kill the other trooper and use cleave on the remaining trooper...both still have 1 action and that's only if they started next to trooper. Heck last night, the wookie wrecked my trandos (not killed but almost) because the mission started them together. And how am I supposed to provide roadblocks if I don't put them together? Half of the Imperial abilities rely upon figures being near each other to use their abilities so...

A big disadvantage thats been expressed by rebel players is lack of info. Imperial player is not supposed to divulge nothing about the mission set up or whats going to happen until it triggers, so each mission typically has several nasty surprise events, and players also are not told where the reinforcement spawn spots are. We had a mission where player was playing the sniper bothan, set himself up in a good location, but round turned and surprise, he was standing next to the spawn of royal guards. So yea he quickly got owned being by himself next to some bad asses, quick player down. You can also do nasty things with your upgrades, I got the upgrade that lets me change any one of my attack dice to whatever I want when I attack. That's extremely powerful.

I don't divulge any info but objectives/story, starting board, number of open groups I have, threat level, and Special deployment. They asked me about my deployment spots last night and I didn't say anything. Surprise doesn't change their super powers. The abilities I can equip are cool...if you pick the right deck...if you can get enough XP to buy them. Rebels win, they get more rewards. Rebels keep on winning, they keep getting more powerful and the Imperials get diddly squat.

I had the issue with Descent: JiD 2nd Edition where towards the later half of the game, the heroes were so powerful they were stomping all opposition without pause. I couldn't do anything to them, if there was a quest where they had to run and touch certain objects, the elf could pretty much instantly run across half the map in one turn and their necromancer could clear entire rooms with some Wave of the Dead ability.

Even the final boss went down in three turns, those turns spent trying to move him into range to attack them. :(

Since then I havent touched that game and lost interest quickly in Imperial Assault.

That is how I feel right now in Imperial Assault with the Rebels.

fenners

Wounding rebels is easy? You playing right? Three rebels means they have extra hitpoints and can heal up easily, not to mention an extra activation. Defense is low but Heroes activate first and get to demolish my troops before I can attack.

A hero gets to activate first.

1 rebel -> 1 imperial card -> 1 rebel -> imperial card. etc.

It isn't "activate all rebels" -> "activate all imperials".

It really sounds like you're getting that wrong & it'd totally imbalance the game in favour of the rebels, yes.

Experien

A hero gets to activate first.

1 rebel -> 1 imperial card -> 1 rebel -> imperial card. etc.

It isn't "activate all rebels" -> "activate all imperials".

It really sounds like you're getting that wrong & it'd totally imbalance the game in favour of the rebels, yes.

Nope, I am playing that right part 100% right.

-Wookie charges and kills a Stormtrooper and weakens another cause cleave.

-Stormtroopers move and shoot and does max 4 damage IF lucky

-Jedi goes and kills the other full Stormtrooper and the weakened one...all three are gone.

Even played the mission where the Imperials get to go first. Only time I did any damage was with my Royal Guard Champion but he only does ONE action after every HERO activation so they'd take advantage of that and let the Rebel Troopers come in and do serious damage on the Champion.

Even before they had the cool abilities, my forces could barely hurt them unless I had an Epic (who was quickly owned of their powers or dodged by them running). Hard to keep a squad of Stormtroopers on the field when Heroes have attacks that can attack and kill multiple units in one hit. Two Heroes can easily kill a squad of troopers in one turn and still have two actions left over to do whatever. Can't do reinforce if they kill them all in one go. Am I supposed to hide one trooper off in a corner or something? That seems silly and cheap and a sign of unbalance.

How is it cheap? It's how the game is designed. Descent 2E ruleset was made around making the game more about having the "bad guy" player be more of another player in a competitive game. You are not a GM or host to a game like in previous edition or some RPG, you are actively trying to beat the players. Why the game also doesn't have a clear end point by one side simply winning the mission, you keep going. So yes you should be using hit and run tactics, why should you play the game dumb? Unlike heroes who can make double attacks, you should be attacking and taking cover when possible. Also the abilitiy to move, attack and use rest of your speed points to keep moving lets you do all kinds of hit and run attacks.

Wounding rebels is easy? You playing right? Three rebels means they have extra hitpoints and can heal up easily, not to mention an extra activation. Defense is low but Heroes activate first and get to demolish my troops before I can attack. If I do attack, they just double rest while another member finishes the objective. And with all the cool Rebel powers and two out of three Rebels rolling the white dice, I'd say that yes, defense rolls cancel out a lot of "at most" 4 damage a trooper can do.

You are focusing on just troopers, its never your only unit or your main damage dealer. Even then a player typically have average of around 12hp before wounding. A probe droid is a common unit that can often easily deal close to 4-5 damage an attack, combine that with any other troopers, and a single trooper on a single turn can be brought close to being wounded.

They can heal? Of course, good let them heal, it costs them actions to do which slows down the rebels. Easiest way to beat the rebels in most missions is by slowing them down till they fail to accomplish objectives on time. If you are letting players wipe out all your forces so easily though, they are going to have an easy time, you need to play to win, and heck why should your imperial units be brainless drones who run to the players to die? Have them attack and run for cover.

Also its well known in this ruleset, that attack trumps defense statistically. Defense is mainly there to reduce damage, but it was made also random instead of static to make it even more unpredictable, as in previous ruleset it was a static value and easy to cheese that players were so hard to damage. The odds are in favor of even the crappier units when attacking, are still going to usually deal some damage, even if its only a little.

Timed missions is the only time I might have a chance but never win. Imperial troops aren't roadblocks either cause Rebels can move through them (yes, with 2 movement points) or the Jedi can just come up and push anyone away as it is not an action. So roadblocks can't happen unless there is a door (that can be destroyed in one attack most of the time).

Roadblocks is a figure of speech, just being present is a roadblock, be in to capture a terminal, causing players to stop to attack, or dealing damage to force actions to be wasted on healing, these are all roadblocks. Point is maximizing your resources to delay the rebels in any way possible. Find the weak spot in the team, focus fire on it and take him out if need be. Most objective timed missions require players to split up to do it in time, this is perfect time to go for the weakest link forcing the players to reorganize and waste time as they readjust their strategy in time before timer runs out.

Wookie is leveled up so the cleave does 2 damage (same with Jedi), one away from killing a Stormtrooper which the cleave CAN'T be blocked. So main attack kills a trooper and cleave does most damage to another. Jedi has a massive attack so she can kill the other trooper and use cleave on the remaining trooper...both still have 1 action and that's only if they started next to trooper. Heck last night, the wookie wrecked my trandos (not killed but almost) because the mission started them together. And how am I supposed to provide roadblocks if I don't put them together? Half of the Imperial abilities rely upon figures being near each other to use their abilities so...

The abilities that require the troops to be near each other are often not worth it, don't bunch up your units. You move and attack, if you really want that advantage, then move next to and attack, or position the bonus that at least one unit is safe out of LOS while conferring benefits. Again you should be playing to win, you got to be cheap, the players are going to be cheap when fighting you.

I don't divulge any info but objectives/story, starting board, number of open groups I have, threat level, and Special deployment. They asked me about my deployment spots last night and I didn't say anything. Surprise doesn't change their super powers. The abilities I can equip are cool...if you pick the right deck...if you can get enough XP to buy them. Rebels win, they get more rewards. Rebels keep on winning, they keep getting more powerful and the Imperials get diddly squat.

You get XP and influence each mission, your upgrade cards upgrade typically all your units or all units of a particular type. With influence you get access to many surprise cards that let you pull off a little trap on opponents. And the threat level rises as you progress, making it quicker to reinforce or buy more pricey units into the game. Imperials get stronger as the game goes on as well. If the Rebels are winning they are going to be at an advantage of course, as they are earning more XP and rewards than the imperial player. Counter to say my main campaign where Imps have been winning most games so i've been getting more XP and Influence making me grow stronger quicker. It is a slight issue with game that it can swing in favor of one side if there is a streak of victory, but I guess that's the whole point of reward, but if it continues then yea later on a side will become unbalanced, but campaigns aren't meant to last that long in this ruleset. You likely dont have much further to go after 7 missions.

Nope, I am playing that right part 100% right.

-Wookie charges and kills a Stormtrooper and weakens another cause cleave.

-Stormtroopers move and shoot and does max 4 damage IF lucky

-Jedi goes and kills the other full Stormtrooper and the weakened one...all three are gone.

Even played the mission where the Imperials get to go first. Only time I did any damage was with my Royal Guard Champion but he only does ONE action after every HERO activation so they'd take advantage of that and let the Rebel Troopers come in and do serious damage on the Champion.

Shouldn't have all your troopers in range of two character activations in a row. Attack and run, spread em out, and if need be hide them out of LOS. Shouldn't be able to pick off a whole group. Not saying it's not possible, but groups should be split up and spread, act like a player and take cover as much as possible. Heck I've had many rounds where I never attacked players, just to regroup my forces, build up threat, and increase my numbers for an overwhelming attack in the future.

sasimirobot

I played an epic night of Werewolf using coachsurfing.com in Thailand of all places. Turns out there is a regular night of this in Chiang Mai, and I brought my copies of Love Letter and One Night.

First time playing the "old" version of Werewolf and yeah, I see the problems people always bring up. Moderator, player elimination, first round talk is useless, time, etc...

But after I introduced One Night later in the night, we had epic games until 2/3 am.

Also picked up Diamonds yesterday and tried it out, really good game. Looking forward to my copy of King of New York tomorrow, will post pics!

Experien

How is it cheap? It's how the game is designed. Descent 2E ruleset was made around making the game more about having the "bad guy" player be more of another player in a competitive game. You are not a GM or host to a game like in previous edition or some RPG, you are actively trying to beat the players. Why the game also doesn't have a clear end point by one side simply winning the mission, you keep going. So yes you should be using hit and run tactics, why should you play the game dumb? Unlike heroes who can make double attacks, you should be attacking and taking cover when possible. Also the abilitiy to move, attack and use rest of your speed points to keep moving lets you do all kinds of hit and run attacks.

See...is it a player in a competitive game or a DM? My friends think of it as a DM and that is why it is favoring them and not me. If it is a DM, it feels a bit off. If it is a competitive game, this is broken and hard. Has nothing to do with dumb, just balance.

We missed the move shoot move rule but the Rebels aren't using it either so the field is level there...sort of.

You are focusing on just troopers, its never your only unit or your main damage dealer. Even then a player typically have average of around 12hp before wounding. A probe droid is a common unit that can often easily deal close to 4-5 damage an attack, combine that with any other troopers, and a single trooper on a single turn can be brought close to being wounded.

I have more than troopers but I can't them out cause price or the E-Web cannon starts deployed WAY out of the way that it is useless. Threat 4 is not a lot, you can't spawn much of anything for 4. Probes are pretty awful cause they get picked off easy. I use to use them but they would just pick off the droid and then heal up and be fine. The Jedi and wookie have a TON of health with 3 rebels.

They can heal? Of course, good let them heal, it costs them actions to do which slows down the rebels. Easiest way to beat the rebels in most missions is by slowing them down till they fail to accomplish objectives on time. If you are letting players wipe out all your forces so easily though, they are going to have an easy time, you need to play to win, and heck why should your imperial units be brainless drones who run to the players to die? Have them attack and run for cover.

They heal but then the others run by and do objectives. It is hard not to "let them" destroy my units when they can do so with ease and destroy multiple guys in one turn with one Hero.

Also its well known in this ruleset, that attack trumps defense statistically. Defense is mainly there to reduce damage, but it was made also random instead of static to make it even more unpredictable, as in previous ruleset it was a static value and easy to cheese that players were so hard to damage. The odds are in favor of even the crappier units when attacking, are still going to usually deal some damage, even if its only a little.

Defense is pretty weak, not with special abilities and the ability to heal lots. But still, the weakest unit can only do 4 damage max and that's not including Rebel special abilities. I mean, 4 damage is nothing against the Rebels.

Roadblocks is a figure of speech, just being present is a roadblock, be in to capture a terminal, causing players to stop to attack, or dealing damage to force actions to be wasted on healing, these are all roadblocks. Point is maximizing your resources to delay the rebels in any way possible. Find the weak spot in the team, focus fire on it and take him out if need be. Most objective timed missions require players to split up to do it in time, this is perfect time to go for the weakest link forcing the players to reorganize and waste time as they readjust their strategy in time before timer runs out.

Just being present is NOT a roadblock. Being present isn't a big deal when a rebel can do a double move and run by everyone and ignore it all. That isn't a roadblock since diagonal movements work. A mission ended beginning of round 4 cause wookie came and destroyed 2 trandos, jedi ran and destroyed door, and smuggler ran by everything to grab objective and double run out also with her dance before Imperials activate every round. I had Royal Guards but Wookie super smash and killed one so smuggler could just dash by. No contest and nothing Imperials could've done to stop it. I wasn't allowed to spawn anybody inside the locked room to stand by the mission objective so...sucks to be Imperials.

The rebels don't have a weak spot. Smuggler of the three does least damage but feels like gets to react to everything that happens so she can't be pinned down. Only had one mission so far where they had to split up, when they did, they just ran by me and there was nothing I could do to roadblock them.

The abilities that require the troops to be near each other are often not worth it, don't bunch up your units. You move and attack, if you really want that advantage, then move next to and attack, or position the bonus that at least one unit is safe out of LOS while conferring benefits. Again you should be playing to win, you got to be cheap, the players are going to be cheap when fighting you.

Extra defense, defense/offense rerolls, focus, and extra attacks are not worth it? Seems like you are saying I do need to have one Stormtrooper hiding in a corner...so silly.

You get XP and influence each mission, your upgrade cards upgrade typically all your units or all units of a particular type. With influence you get access to many surprise cards that let you pull off a little trap on opponents. And the threat level rises as you progress, making it quicker to reinforce or buy more pricey units into the game. Imperials get stronger as the game goes on as well. If the Rebels are winning they are going to be at an advantage of course, as they are earning more XP and rewards than the imperial player. Counter to say my main campaign where Imps have been winning most games so i've been getting more XP and Influence making me grow stronger quicker. It is a slight issue with game that it can swing in favor of one side if there is a streak of victory, but I guess that's the whole point of reward, but if it continues then yea later on a side will become unbalanced, but campaigns aren't meant to last that long in this ruleset. You likely dont have much further to go after 7 missions.

Upgrades are only one use or attached to ONE unit, not all units. Example: only ONE unit of Stormtroopers get the bleed attachment. All the Agenda cards have just been, "Discard this card to make Stormtroopers one less deployment cost this one time." Threat rises but so what if the threat increases four each turn. I have to wait two turns to be able to deploy anything good. And then you say my point exactly...Rebels are winning and have the advantage. They've had the advantage since the first mission and it is just growing. Doesn't feel balanced and by the time we get to mission 5, they have TONS of upgrades, I have like three cards and it is no longer fun cause Imperials don't stand a chance. We have 3 more missions but my urge to play those three more missions under the current circumstances are all but nil. I am really turned off by the game.

It isn't about me losing either. I win and I lose, its about balance and fun mechanics. This game doesn't appear to have balance in the campaign for me.

See...is it a player in a competitive game or a DM? My friends think of it as a DM and that is why it is favoring them and not me. If it is a DM, it feels a bit off. If it is a competitive game, this is broken and hard. Has nothing to do with dumb, just balance.

We missed the move shoot move rule but the Rebels aren't using it either so the field is level there...sort of

It was designed around the Imperial players being one of the players, and not a DM. Why it was greatly simplified from old Descent ruleset where the overlord player essentially had ton of options controlling the whole board. They diluted the evil role to essentially be another player but instead you only control a bunch of weak units compared to a single powerful hero. Also why the game was made alot faster, so it's quick play and over, a feeling that used to exist was that you spent hours playing a single dungeon/scenario, and the DM player didn't want to just kill players or be rough on them cause it made the whole group angry that they spent hours to just lose for whatever reason. So like many RPG scenarios, DM/GM's would go easy on players. D2/IA is not supposed to be like that. You are a player just competing against the others and you want to win, otherwise the other players are just going to get more powerful faster and run away with the game if you let em.

And missing the moving and attacking rule is a HUGE game changer. And it largely affects the imperial player more so, as you have weaker units so being able to attack and move out of LOS is a major help. You can attack, take advantage of adjacent bonus abilities, and then move out of LOS. It's a big thing as it helps keep your units alive longer, forces rebel players to move more wasting mission time, and if they really want to wipe out a squad to prevent spawning reinforcements, they will have to come after you. If you leave your units out in the open after attackign, they just are easy picking for the entire team and gives a huge boost to ranged units.

And it's not about being chicken and hiding a unit in corner, it's keeping your squad alive, it's tactics to prevent a unit being wiped. Heck having to retreat is sometimes best option to reinforce a squad if in danger.

As for upgrade cards, it depends on the card you bought, some are for entire classes of unit types, some are for specific unit, while some can be used by any unit on the board usually. Three decks are in the base set, so what you have access too is going to change depending what you picked. It's been nice upgrade for my units using the tech/science like deck (whatever its called)

Mista Koo

Today I received Airlines Europe, Stone Age, Friday, Machi Koro, and Sherrif of Nottingham.

I've been wanting to get Airlines Europe for a while as a step up from Ticket to Ride. As for Stone Age I tried the online version and found it pretty interesting, especially since I don't have any standard worker placement game (only Alien Frontiers).
Despite all the comments I've heard,
Machi Koro
still managed to surprise me with its box size. I worried that it will be the next For Sale (fun filler that I rarely bring out due to box size, but then I realized the insert was just perfect for me to put both games in one box!

Tried Friday just now and lost pretty bad on the third phase. My deck was pretty terrible that I was surprised that I made it that far :p

Karkador

Banned
I was expecting Airlines Europe to be "a step up from Ticket", but it really feels like its own game in a lot of ways (this is not a bad thing)

Xater

I was expecting Airlines Europe to be "a step up from Ticket", but it really feels like its own game in a lot of ways (this is not a bad thing)

Yep, it's more of a light economic game with still some of the set collecting and route building.

Mista Koo

As an owner of two Ticket to Rides I definitely did not want a third one (as much as I enjoyed them). But the fact that it seems similar should be enough for me to reel in Ticket to Ride players that are intimidated by the idea of learning a completely different game.

This review surprised me, second baseball game recently to make me double take.

Baseball Highlights 2045 Review

It's a really neat game of gamesmanship. On offense, you're trying to figure out if you play your big hitters early or draw out good pitches you think you opponent might have. On defense, you have to decide if you're going after your opponents hitters or letting them go to promote your own offense.

Team building is a really neat concept where you're deciding what type of players you're after (offensive, defensive, specialists, etc.) while watching what your opponents "draft".

The way we played it is kinda weird (at UnPub), so I don't know if it's the way it's actually supposed to be or not. With two players, you play many games over the course of a season and build up your roster for the World Series. What was weird was: There were four of us and we basically played two 2v2 seasons instead of having a season involving all of our players. I can see a house variant where all of the players will draft after a "night's" game and having matchups against all players during a season (round-robin?). It makes a lot more sense than playing a full season, drafting against one specific player and hoping your team does well with the winner of the other league in the World Series with no preparation.

All-in-all, an extremely nice game that simulates the chess matchness of baseball, but perfectly accessible to non-baseball fans because the rules are very simple.

Can I get an opinion on Cutthroat Caverns, just the base game? I dislike Munchkin's nature because it just drags the game on far too long at the end. Cutthroat Caverns seems like a much better game but do I need to worry about counterattack after counterattack after counterattack dragging it out too long?

Can I get an opinion on Cutthroat Caverns, just the base game? I dislike Munchkin's nature because it just drags the game on far too long at the end. Cutthroat Caverns seems like a much better game but do I need to worry about counterattack after counterattack after counterattack dragging it out too long?
We never have that problem but the game can be long because of some of the bosses so it's not a short game if that what you are looking for. My family like it because of coop yet competitive nature of it.

This arrived yesterday. A "used" copy of Mage Knight, it seems like the previous owner never even play it. Everything is still in shrink-wrap and plastic bags, for $38.00 is hard to pass up. Now let see why everyone rave about this game, another reason I hesitate is because it's Wizkids game.

Zalasta

Airline Europe didn't impress me, and I recall it plays terribly slow with 5-6. I much prefer Union Pacific. The other step up from Ticket to Ride I would recommend is On the Underground.

joelseph

Did you ask on Reddit today? =)

We never have that problem but the game can be long because of some of the bosses so it's not a short game if that what you are looking for. My family like it because of coop yet competitive nature of it..

I have a feeling I'll like it then, thanks! Munchkin just gets annoying. I don't mind it when someone ruins my plans but when it endlessly goes on forever it really kills the fun

Did you ask on Reddit today? =)
no, I didn't; did someone coincidentally ask the same thing on Reddit? Ha! Reddit's layout confuses me, I want to get into it but it's confusing to follow.

wow, that is amazingly on point, thanks! I read it through, good info, I only ask because it's a math trade offering so I'll add it to my want list and let fate decide if I get it or not.

Played 3 games of Dominion last night. I didn't win any but it was still quite fun. The last game we used witches and thieves and by the end I had -1 points.

NEO0MJ

This arrived yesterday. A "used" copy of Mage Knight, it seems like the previous owner never even play it. Everything is still in shrink-wrap and plastic bags, for $38.00 is hard to pass up. Now let see why everyone rave about this game, another reason I hesitate is because it's Wizkids game.

I was tempted, but it seemed games took too long and the game doesn't work as well with too many players.

Went with Kemet in the end.

Mista Koo

I need to play Kemet, it's one of these game that gets a lot of plays in our gaming group but I've never tried it. Same but to a lesser extent with Chaos of the Old World.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Haha, and the funny thing about BBTM and Baseball Highlights is the themes are quite pasted on (BBTM has a lot of flavor to it, even in the mechanics, but you certainly don't feel like you're playing a game of football). There really is a huge lack of good sports-based board games.

Top Bottom