• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Awesome. Yeah I haven't really read much negative about it.

I've recently introduced my wife to worker placement games and we started with Agricola: All Creatures Big And Small which she wound up playing a few times and then got really bored of it quickly. She would basically just use the same strategy every game and I think that contributed to her getting bored of it (she beat me every game too so that's why she never bothered switching it up).

Conversely, something like Rivals for Catan she loves since there's more variability in the board setup so each game isn't quite the same.

My fear is that because the board is fixed in Village that it will get stale for her quickly but the game is way meatier than Agricola: ACBAS so maybe that will keep her interest.

Go for full Agricola then. Meatier game and has lots of strategies. Alternatively, get the expansions since the random buildings for ACBAS mixes things a little bit.

Lords of waterdeep plays very well with two. Minus the mandatory quests for my wife and I though.
I usually takes the mandatory quests out and a few of the less useful when in 2-player intrigue cards. Makes the game a little less mean and swingy for those lucky enough to draw a mandatory quest. Also makes the intrigue deck still worth drawing from.

Xater

Elysium, Specter Ops, and the Imperial Settlers expansion on their way.

I fucking love Clue: The Great Museum Caper, so I'm hoping SO is a homerun in updating that formula for the 21st century.

I really need some Elysium impressions. I am still not sure if I should get. Have had my eye on it now for a while.

Same kinda goes for Specter Ops, but I am waiting on a german release for that. I assume the chances to get that comes Essen are pretty high.

Xero

I really need some Elysium impressions. I am still not sure if I should get. Have had my eye on it now for a while.

Same kinda goes for Specter Ops, but I am waiting on a german release for that. I assume the chances to get that comes Essen are pretty high.
I thought board game brawl did a pretty good run down for it and of course dice tower has their review up. I can answer any questions if you have any as well. I will say a few clarifications on a few things in the manual would have been nice about a few abilities or even just better descriptions on a few of the hunter cards. On of the hunters the gun can roll 2 dice instead if 2 when rolling for attack range. Nothing mentions whether you combine the 2 or take the higher roll. You take the higher roll btw

Just ordered Smash Up with the sci-fi and monster expansions. Played it once before and enjoyed it so decided to pick it up. Is the base box big enough to fix most expansions because I really don't want to have to get the big geeky box. I might get the Awesome 9000 and Cthulu sets as well, no interest in the pretty, pretty expansion.

yayaba

I usually takes the mandatory quests out and a few of the less useful when in 2-player intrigue cards. Makes the game a little less mean and swingy for those lucky enough to draw a mandatory quest. Also makes the intrigue deck still worth drawing from.

We own Waterdeep as well and have played a few games. She likes it well enough though the last game we played was a 5P monster with some AP prone players. That soured her a bit on the game but I think she still generally has a positive impression of it.

We have yet to play with the mandatory quest cards ever since we bought the game. Me just explaining what they are to her was enough for her to say she didn't want to use them and I was fine with that.

I just ordered Stone Age so I'm pretty pumped about that. I'm looking to build a decent light to mid weight collection for board gaming nights since the people I play with (wife included) probably wouldn't be able to handle a heavy weight game just yet. What I have now for 4P gaming:

(super light weight)
TTR
Love Letter

(light weight)
Splendor

(light to mid weight)
Lords of Waterdeep
Stone Age
7 Wonders

I was thinking of picking up Machi Koro as well since that seems light enough and still be enjoyable. It would basically be around the same weight as Splendor so it could slot in nicely as an alternative to that.

I'm basically the only real board gamer in my group of friends so I'm slowly trying to plan and cultivate their experience anytime we game with friends. It's basically always my wife and I and another married couple.

The hope is I get each couple ramped up slowly through light games until they can handle stuff like Five Tribes, Troyes, Trajan, etc. The real meaty stuff that I'd really love to play. It's gonna take awhile but I'm hoping this pays off in the end.

yayaba

Go for full Agricola then. Meatier game and has lots of strategies. Alternatively, get the expansions since the random buildings for ACBAS mixes things a little bit.

Unfortunately she has expressed a strong distaste for farming games in any form after Agricola:ACBAS :(

Kind of a bummer since I had hoped to try Caverna at some point in the far future with her.

Thinking about it I think something about Uwe Rosenberg games just turns her off since every other game I've introduced her to she's liked.

H1PSTER

Me and my girlfriend started playing Pandemic last night and we've both fallen in love with it.

I'm tempted to buy On The Brink but I don't think we'll get bored of vanilla anytime soon.

UncleO

Just ordered Smash Up with the sci-fi and monster expansions. Played it once before and enjoyed it so decided to pick it up. Is the base box big enough to fix most expansions because I really don't want to have to get the big geeky box. I might get the Awesome 9000 and Cthulu sets as well, no interest in the pretty, pretty expansion.

Base Box has enough room for two more expansions, after that you will need the geeky box.

Pretty Pretty has become my fav expansion for smash up dont overlook it.

Welcome to the Dungeon is a new recent fave.

It's one of those mini-game type of games, with a very small deck of cards a'la Love Letter, and I feel like I can safely say it deserves a spot next to Love Letter in terms of a quick filler game that still has a bit of fun to it.

In a way you could say that Love Letter and Skull had a baby where, the small deck of cards meets luck-pushing and bluffing. It's got some wonderful art, simple rules you can explain in a single breath, and a bit of depth to it whether you build a dungeon you hope to go through, or you seed it with creatures you know another player can't topple.

Sure, it's not called "Dungeon of Mandom" anymore, but almost everything about it seems to be improved during the transition.

I still plan on getting the pretty,pretty expansion but it may be at the bottom. Same with the Big Geeky Box. Not trying to spend new game money on a storage box, although the seperaters are nice.

Karkador

Banned

It's one of those mini-game type of games, with a very small deck of cards a'la Love Letter, and I feel like I can safely say it deserves a spot next to Love Letter in terms of a quick filler game that still has a bit of fun to it.

In a way you could say that Love Letter and Skull had a baby where, the small deck of cards meets luck-pushing and bluffing. It's got some wonderful art, simple rules you can explain in a single breath, and a bit of depth to it whether you build a dungeon you hope to go through, or you seed it with creatures you know another player can't topple.

Sure, it's not called "Dungeon of Mandom" anymore, but almost everything about it seems to be improved during the transition.

I own the original, and I think it's very good that they added a lot of extra content to the game (different equipment setups); the original is pretty one-note. I wish they kept the aesthetic of the original, though.

Experien

Played some Samurai Spirits last night, it took a few games to really understand what the goal was. i had fun and it was only 2 player but I can imagine having more players really increases the tension of the village.

Palmer_v1

I will have to buy this. Always looking for good travel games.

Experien

So glad to hear, glad i ordered it last week.

Painted my first miniatures. It was actually kind of fun and enjoyable way to spend time. I am still learning all the techniques and relearn how to paint models again. White is still the worst color to paint. I think they are good enough for board gaming and sure beat just plain red plastics.

lFcrTkUh.jpg

Also got shelf for my ever growing board games. Someone brought this up a while back about putting them in game closet, I personally like all the different boxes and I think they look nice in family room. These are not the boardgame we grew up with (Monopoly etc) but nice fancy often expensive designer one, I would hate to hide them away. My wife agree and don't mind having them in living room. She actually was tired of me leaving them lying around on the floor.

Your models look great. Excellent job. You gonna do the splicers too?

Thank you. I was doing the quick shade thing and going with bare minimum colors to look accurate and wasn't plan to spend a lot of time (and money) on them. But now that I paint a few, I have an itch to do more. I need to ask Brother Silly Eskimo if he knows a way to do inscription on those named scrolls and motto on Brother Scipio. It would be impossible for me with my old age eyes to write letters on the chest scroll.

I was looking on YouTubes for Genestealers and looking for quick paint job but even the quick one still pretty involve. It will be awhile yet as I still have 6 other Space Marines to paint.

Mista Koo

Last game night plays:
  • Formula Dé: Fun simple press your luck game with calculated risk. We originally planned to do 2 laps but it was taking forever with 6 players so we had to ignore the 2nd lap.
    I wanted to buy it (well D) a while ago but I can't afford the table space.
  • Pandemic: My second playthrough ever. We lost quickly. Me and another person wanted to try again but not everyone was on board. It was very fun and I can see now how it's much more involved than Forbidden Island.
  • Carcassonne: My second physical playthrough. Since it was everyone's first or second playthrough all the rules were explained in detail, I finally understood how farmers work (almost) completely. The game took a while but I won! Oh and we played with the river expansion which helps at the start of the game.
    I still don't like the farmers though and they're stopping me from purchasing the game.
  • 7 Wonders Babel: Finally played all 3 Babel combinations and I can confirm that the Great Projects only is the best way to play Babel.

Palmer_v1

Going to be camping this weekend with some people that enjoy board games. We're bringing a collapsible table so we have something better than a picnic table to play on. The biggest issue I see is wind blowing around cards, or messing up games with light pieces.

Suggestions?

joelseph

Going to be camping this weekend with some people that enjoy board games. We're bringing a collapsible table so we have something better than a picnic table to play on. The biggest issue I see is wind blowing around cards, or messing up games with light pieces.

Suggestions?

I like to pack light. I grab the question and answer cards out of a trivia game to ask around the fire, a standard deck of cards for Rummy, Euchre, etc. and something small that I won't mind getting smokey smelling. Last time I think I brought Bang Dice.

Palmer_v1

I like to pack light. I grab the question and answer cards out of a trivia game to ask around the fire, a standard deck of cards for Rummy, Euchre, etc. and something small that I won't mind getting smokey smelling. Last time I think I brought Bang Dice.

We're only driving about an hour. No need for us to pack light. Bang: The Dice game is a good idea. I've got it around somewhere.

Karkador

Banned
Carcassonne: My second physical playthrough. Since it was everyone's first or second playthrough all the rules were explained in detail, I finally understood how farmers work (almost) completely. The game took a while but I won! Oh and we played with the river expansion which helps at the start of the game.
I still don't like the farmers though and they're stopping me from purchasing the game.

They recently reprinted a version of Carc that was out of print for a few years - Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers

It plays the same, but they added some extra things that make it feel like a more rounded-out, expanded game.

One of those additions was changing how the farmers worked. Instead of just scoring points on completed cities, you are scoring actual animals on the fields you claim. It's something that's easier to count, and not as unpredictable. It can be some clever play, trying to place more animals in your territory, or placing tigers to kill off animals

Hunters and Gatherers is the Carc game I ended up buying, and I think it's got a lot to it for a standalone box.

SumGamer

GameScape was always my favourite game store in town, though it's been a few years since I've visited for sure. They're on Divisidero, in the city, easy to get to on bus.

A lot of US "brick & mortar" game stores seem to have lousy websites. They certainly don't keep accurate stock counts or full range on the site. For instance, GameScape - they were super friendly, super approachable, with a great wall of new releases & older classics, and my wife was happy to go there to browse (unlike a lot of stores..) but none of that appears on the website.

If you are willing to take BART, games of berkley is a good store. Everything is MSRP though. Don't know of any good one in the city itself.

Thanks both of you, I visited both shops and they are fantastic comparing from where I usually shop mine. Games of Berkley is also currently having an anniversary sales where you roll d20 dice to determine how much sale you would get. Great places to shop :) Though I spent too much than I should.

Thanks both of you, I visited both shops and they are fantastic comparing from where I usually shop mine. Games of Berkley is also currently having an anniversary sales where you roll d20 dice to determine how much sale you would get. Great places to shop :) Though I spent too much than I should.

Glad you had fun, GoB is always a good time.

I also made time to visit them the last time I was in the states, I bought String Safari and San Juan from them. I like that they have some old/obscure games too, I managed to score a copy of magnum salt from them last year.

Hey guys, quick question. I bought Machi Koro last week and my wife (newcomer to board games) loves it. I'd like to buy another game and my wife would like something that is similar but requires more strategic thinking. Any suggestions? We both really enjoy Machi Koro and Monoploy Deal.

Hey guys, quick question. I bought Machi Koro last week and my wife (newcomer to board games) loves it. I'd like to buy another game and my wife would like something that is similar but requires more strategic thinking. Any suggestions? We both really enjoy Machi Koro and Monoploy Deal.
Takenoko.
How can you say no to playing this?

It's simple enough to play and offers some decent puzzle solving a strategic maneuvering. It also looks adorable, so it has that going for it.

If you want another card game, take a look at the Mystery Rummy series. I've played Jack the Ripper and Escape from Alcatraz, Jack being my favorite, but they are both good. It's essentially Gin Rummy, but with a pasted on theme. They play great with two (probably best with two) and easy to teach. Even easier if you are familiar with Rummy.

Take a look at Splendor, Kingsburg, Nations the dice game, Roll through the ages: the bronze age, Roll for the galaxy and CV. I feel those scratch a similar itch.

Otherwise take a look at the classics like ticket to ride or carcassone.

Mista Koo

They recently reprinted a version of Carc that was out of print for a few years - Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers

It plays the same, but they added some extra things that make it feel like a more rounded-out, expanded game.

One of those additions was changing how the farmers worked. Instead of just scoring points on completed cities, you are scoring actual animals on the fields you claim. It's something that's easier to count, and not as unpredictable. It can be some clever play, trying to place more animals in your territory, or placing tigers to kill off animals

Hunters and Gatherers is the Carc game I ended up buying, and I think it's got a lot to it for a standalone box.
I was looking it up a while back (along with several other versions). My problem with farmers has more to do with the farm boundaries rather than the points. And given that I plan to play the game with non-gamers I prefer to be able to explain the game in 5 mins, which I can only do without the farmers.

Karkador

Banned
I was looking it up a while back (along with several other versions). My problem with farmers has more to do with the farm boundaries rather than the points. And given that I plan to play the game with non-gamers I prefer to be able to explain the game in 5 mins, which I can only do without the farmers.

Can you describe what your trouble with it is?

espher

To be fair, the rulebook (at least for the edition I have) recommends playing without farmers for the first game. You can leave them out -- I played several games over the past few weeks with new board game players and we left them out for the first game and added them in afterwards. We only had to deal with checking boundaries for placement, which wasn't a big time sink, as everyone had the general mechanics down pat at that point. It changes the play slightly but not significantly, at least with just the base game.

Takenoko.
How can you say no to playing this?

It's simple enough to play and offers some decent puzzle solving a strategic maneuvering. It also looks adorable, so it has that going for it.

If you want another card game, take a look at the Mystery Rummy series. I've played Jack the Ripper and Escape from Alcatraz, Jack being my favorite, but they are both good. It's essentially Gin Rummy, but with a pasted on theme. They play great with two (probably best with two) and easy to teach. Even easier if you are familiar with Rummy.
My daughter saw this the other day at our local FLGS and ask why we don't own this yet. I should have pick this up during Amazon sale. With my son leaving the house soon, she will be my only gaming partner in the house.

I also agree with Pandemic the Cure and Elder Sign (especially with Gates expansion) if you want dice games. The Cure is great as it's easy to set up and play.

Experien

Heroclix go on in here or is that miniature and I should go elsewhere?

Hear TMNT is coming to Heroclix and DiceMasters so I am interested in trying it out now.

yayaba

Take a look at Splendor, Kingsburg, Nations the dice game, Roll through the ages: the bronze age, Roll for the galaxy and CV. I feel those scratch a similar itch.

Otherwise take a look at the classics like ticket to ride or carcassone.

As someone who just introduced their wife to board gaming, out of that list I would go with Splendor. That's the next step up from Machi Koro in my opinion.

Some of the other stuff recommended would be way, way too heavy. My ultimate goal is to get my wife playing Roll for the Galaxy but I'm taking it slow -- as of now that game would cause her brain to melt with the 50+ planet/development tiles in the game.

yayaba

Splendor, Ticket to Ride Nordic Countries, Jaipur, Morels.

I introduced my wife to Stone Age yesterday and she loves it.

If you are going to get any game, I would look it up on Board Game Geek and look at the game weight before you actually buy it. Anything under 2.0 is casual gamer approved. Anything from 2.0 to 2.5 is definitely more strategic and has more rules to remember. 2.5 to 3.0 is getting to medium to medium heavy weight.

Avoid anything over 3.0 for now. More than anything, you don't want to buy a super complicated game since you risk turning her off board gaming completely with a very complex game.

yayaba

I want a dice-based game, any recommendations?

I'm looking straight at King of Tokyo but I'd like some more choices.

I just tried out Stone Age for the first time yesterday and we had a blast with the dice rolling mechanics in that game.

Karkador

Banned

I think if you want something with more depth and strategy, but still involves rolling dice and doing different actions with them - check out The Castles of Burgundy.

ultron87

Anyone going to be at Origins this week/weekend? I'm driving up tomorrow after work.

Not totally sure what I want to try. Mostly just want to hit a bunch of already released games I'm interested but have never bought like Five Tribes, Space Cadets and Last Will and whatever else I see in the play areas. That and play big group games that are tough to play other places.

Top Bottom