• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

joelseph

I teach it like this:

Roll your dice

Line up all of them under the matching icons.

Wild dice { * } can be used under any column.

These are your workers.

NOW chose one worker of any type to activate one action. It's type does not have to match the icon on the action.

Finally you can reassign any workers by discarding dice to the dictate function. Effectively giving up a dice to use another dice as any worker you want. (The dice you give up goes back in the cup at the end of the round)

sneaky77

I teach it like this:

Roll your dice

Line up all of them under the matching icons.

Wild dice { * } can be used under any column.

These are your workers.

NOW chose one worker of any type to activate one action. It's type does not have to match the icon on the action.

Finally you can reassign any workers by discarding dice to the dictate function. Effectively giving up a dice to use another dice as any worker you want. (The dice you give up goes back in the cup at the end of the round)

ok, so the dice you use to activate, cannot be used during the phase? And the dictate is only 1 dice that you can use or can you use multiple?

joelseph

ok, so the dice you use to activate, cannot be used during the phase? And the dictate is only 1 dice that you can use or can you use multiple?

Sorry, the one die you used to select a phase DOES count as a worker/action during that phase. It MUST be used (if possible) during the phase.

Correct, only 1 die maybe dictated to reassign a single die. There are planets and developments that allow other reassign actions through edge cases that will come up through play.

sneaky77

Sorry, the one die you used to select a phase DOES count as a worker/action during that phase. It MUST be used (if possible) during the phase.

Correct, only 1 die maybe dictated to reassign a single die. There are planets and developments that allow other reassign actions through edge cases that will come up through play.

Ok, thanks, so any die can be used to activate any phase, and only the correct symbol can then otherwise be used under that phase, besides dictate.. I watched a rules video that was doing that wrong so it made no sense to me when I saw the example in the manual or even then what the purpose of the symbol is if you can do whatever lol.

Thank you.

So I guess two questions

And to answer your questions a different way, because I think you understood correctly:

if you use a die to activate a phase can that still be used as a worker

Yep.

and to add more workers to the phase, do they have to have the matching symbol or can it be anything?

Matching symbols, wild, or was dictated.

Dictated stumps all new players from personal experience. In the upper-right corner of the phase sheet, it says you can assign one dice off to the side (dictator) to assign one other dice to a phase of your choice, regardless of what face it actually is.

zulux21

I always check out the videos section for reviews and how to play videos on BoardGameGeek. I can't stand reading a 50 page manual for games these days and it just isn't my learning style.

I can get that, but arkham horror's rule book really is a work of art. If you just skim it quickly it looks ok, it's not until you try to learn it that you discoverer it was designed to drive you mad (fits with the theme of the game really) where they use terms without defining them and reference stuff on page 3 or so that isn't covered until page 17 or so. You basically have to decipher the rule book if you want to make any sense of it, yet playing with someone who knows the game I picked up the game fully in like 5 minutes lol.

I bought a copy of Star Wars: Armada. I guess I'll be trying that out soon.

My son and I had a lot of fun though with just the core box the game feels very limited and the game really needed a few more ships. If my son were to be around I would have bought a few more ships but he is heading off to military training in a month and only time I will be playing is when my brother-in-law comes around.

Xb0G6nN.jpg

I can get that, but arkham horror's rule book really is a work of art. If you just skim it quickly it looks ok, it's not until you try to le arn it that you discoverer it was designed to drive you mad (fits with the theme of the game really) where they use terms without defining them and reference stuff on page 3 or so that isn't covered until page 17 or so. You basically have to decipher the rule book if you want to make any sense of it, yet playing with someone who knows the game I picked up the game fully in like 5 minutes lol.

I agree completely, the rule book is terrible to learn how to play. I watch a lot of YouTube play through and after few solo games, Arkham is actually very simple game. You assigned attributed, move, flee or fight then have an encounter at location. Only confusing things are the gates opening and monster spawning and movement but once you mastered those couple of rules it is not a very complicate game to learn.

Xater

I would love Armada but I just think they really overpriced it. To get into X-Wing was just so much easier.

Also because you guys didn't help me at all I bought Orleans. Mechanic seems more interesting to me. Also got the One Night Ultimate Werewolf thing.

Experien

Anyone look into that Defenders of the Last Stand on KS? Only has about 9 hours or so left...might scratch that Mad Max itch.

Gonna buy Terra Mystica and Roll for the Galaxy. Try to play them this weekend.

Trying to get back in Netrunner. So many expansions I missed out on lol.

EYEL1NER

My son and I had a lot of fun though with just the core box the game feels very limited and the game really needed a few more ships. If my son were to be around I would have bought a few more ships but he is heading off to military training in a month and only time I will be playing is when my brother-in-law comes around.
The only gaming I get done is up here where I am currently located but I didn't have it sent here. I don't think my coworkers would be down to play it, since they aren't really down to play X-Wing. One guy that I played a couple games of X-Wing with decided that he was done playing it, that he would rather play a 'real' TT miniatures game like 40K, WFB, and WarmaHordes. He also swore off playing any more games from FFG, which means my copy of Imperial Assault also remains unplayed. He is fed up with tons of bits and chits, multiple decks of small cards, and huge rule books, so he said he will play no more Fantasy Flight games. His loss I guess, except it means I don't get to play all of the FFG games that I have bought. Another guy suggested we play X-Wing a couple weeks back but I don't know that he was all that into it though.

I saw that a small FLGS back home had an Armada tourney this past weekend with the winner keeping the game, so I had it mailed to my home address. Assuming the C-17 isn't delayed coming up here in two weeks, I should fly back and will probably read the rules on my iPad during the flight. I'm hoping I can go to the game store that week and get some plays in, and then if I really like it and think that the capital ship combat feels different enough from X-Wing dogfighting that I could talk some people into trying it, I might try to pack it in my luggage to bring back up here.

But there is also the likelihood that it will sit around unplayed like all of my other games, I suppose.

I would love Armada but I just think they really overpriced it. To get into X-Wing was just so much easier.
I wish I had gotten in on some of the lower prices pre-launch. I believe most were price mistakes but I know some were honored. I ended up buying it just now from a guy on BGG who only played it a couple times for $60 shipped. Not as cheap as X-Wing still but it seemed like it was the best price I would probably see for a while, barring daily deals at CSI/CH/MM that would probably be around that price anyway.

Experien

New Zombicide announced...Black Plague.

Same game but medieval, comes with plastic base for holding your cards, uses the house rule for targeting (success = hit zombie, fail = hit survivor), and now there is a necormancer.

I'm annoyed that there was 900 limited spots for $10 off and I pledged with 298 left and they canceled my pledge and didn't get it. They just said "oh, there aren't any left so your pledge wasn't successful." What?

Draxal

Same game but medieval, comes with plastic base for holding your cards, uses the house rule for targeting (success = hit zombie, fail = hit survivor), and now there is a necormancer.

I'm annoyed that there was 900 limited spots for $10 off and I pledged with 298 left and they canceled my pledge and didn't get it. They just said "oh, there aren't any left so your pledge wasn't successful." What?

Thanks for posting it. I was watching the previews on tabletopgamingnews (owned by Coolminiornot ... so they were pimping this game for a while now), and forgot the kstarter started today.

fenners

KS had a ridiculous slowdown around that time - a bunch of folk, including myself, missed out on the early bird because of it.

I'm not going to get too stressed about $10 off $150 at the end of the day though.

Keasar

I saw this just now and was gonna post about it asking what people think about Zombicide.

Sooooooo, what do people think of Zombicide? I am a bit curios after seeing it here and there and thought maybe this is a good time to jump in. Or should I look for any of the earlier boxes?

Draxal

I saw this just now and was gonna post about it asking what people think about Zombicide.

Sooooooo, what do people think of Zombicide? I am a bit curios after seeing it here and there and thought maybe this is a good time to jump in. Or should I look for any of the earlier boxes?

It's a good time to jump in as the value of kickstarters means that you could recoup the cost easily.

I'm liking this since it's a reboot so you're not jumping too late in the bandwagon unlike Zombicidie Vanilla.

Keasar

It's a good time to jump in as the value of kickstarters means that you could recoup the cost easily.

I'm liking this since it's a reboot so you're not jumping too late in the bandwagon unlike Zombicidie Vanilla.

Yeah, was thinking that if anytime, now would be it, just wanna know if the game is really recommended.

zulux21

KS had a ridiculous slowdown around that time - a bunch of folk, including myself, missed out on the early bird because of it.

I'm not going to get too stressed about $10 off $150 at the end of the day though.

limited early bird slots for a kickstarter that will for sure succeed are silly. I have skipped a number of kickstarters because I didn't get the early bird slot in the past.

not that I would back this one. $150 is to much for a single game for me.

Xater

This version of Zombicide looks pretty sweet. I really like the trays. Seems like the right version to jump in on, but I will wait until Asmodee releases it here anyway. They have released almost everything from Cool Mini or Not and it will be cheaper than this Kickstarter.

fenners

This version of Zombicide looks pretty sweet. I really like the trays. Seems like the right version to jump in on, but I will wait until Asmodee releases it here anyway. They have released almost everything from Cool Mini or Not and it will be cheaper than this Kickstarter.

It'll be cheaper to buy online in the US too once it hits retail. The reason people jump on the kickstarter is the bonus items that come with it.

Xater

It'll be cheaper to buy online in the US too once it hits retail. The reason people jump on the kickstarter is the bonus items that come with it.

Sure, but I' rather have it in German and I just don't care that much to put so much money down for a Kickstarter. I'd rather spend it on 3 or more other games I can play right now.

Does anyone here have played Evolution btw? I hink the game looks interesting, but I am still not sure if I will like it.

daevv

Also because you guys didn't help me at all I bought Orleans. Mechanic seems more interesting to me.

Where did you get it from? I was gonna look for it at Gen Con but if I can find it beforehand it'll mean less to bring home on the plane back to Canada.

Speaking of Canada I ordered a Kickstarter edition of Fief: France 1492 for $99cdn from supernovagames.ca. It comes with the 5 expansions and the metal coins addon. Shipping is steep to the US at $25cdn but with the dollar tanking it's close to or cheaper than the actual Acadamy Games price on their site. My group loves Chinatown and Game of Thrones so this is the next logical step. :)

Experien

I got Z1 & Z2. It never got to the table much, takes up a ton of space, and still haven't finished all scenarios in the first game to justify Z3. I've barely played 2 missions in Z2. That isn't to say it's bad. It didn't hit table from quality, just takes awhile to set up and my group plays a lot of random stuff. If you want to fight a hoard of zombies, you can't play a better game. Especially with older KS this game, I'm overstocked with zombie minis that the board looks so intimidating and cool.

That's nothing to do with gameplay, that's all that matters. It is simple do 3-4 actions, then next guy does that until everyone has and then zombies happen (move/attack then spawn). It can be really unforgiving unless you game the system, play with Zombivors (half survivor, half zombie), and house rule it. But it is a pretty cool, mindless killing game that can play 1-6 players in base set and rules to add more but id imagine the game would run way too long. You can level up a little your character a bit but it recents on every mission (if you want). Not that complicated at all either.

I'm glad I own it but they'd have to do something really sweet to bring me back and I'm not sure if medieval is it.

Xater

Where did you get it from? I was gonna look for it at Gen Con but if I can find it beforehand it'll mean less to bring home on the plane back to Canada.

Speaking of Canada I ordered a Kickstarter edition of Fief: France 1492 for $99cdn from supernovagames.ca. It comes with the 5 expansions and the metal coins addon. Shipping is steep to the US at $25cdn but with the dollar tanking it's close to or cheaper than the actual Acadamy Games price on their site. My group loves Chinatown and Game of Thrones so this is the next logical step. :)

I doubt I can help you out with me being from Germany. Due to the Kennerspiel nomination the game is even hard to get here.

Phthisis

He also swore off playing any more games from FFG, which means my copy of Imperial Assault also remains unplayed. He is fed up with tons of bits and chits, multiple decks of small cards, and huge rule books, so he said he will play no more Fantasy Flight games.

I'm kind of getting to that point myself. FFG has gradually started to over-produce a lot of their recent games such that there's huge component bloat when it's not really necessary, especially with the rules weight of games they make. Plus their inserts are garbage.

I'm kind of getting to that point myself. FFG has gradually started to over-produce a lot of their recent games such that there's huge component bloat when it's not really necessary, especially with the rules weight of games they make. Plus their inserts are garbage.

Started? lol

Faiz

I get the FFG fatigue but I don't think it's ever something I'll grow out of. Sometimes I can't face the sorting, setup, and fiddling about with chits bits and bobs... But I also still love a huge game spread out all over a table.

Not every night, not even every weekend, but I still love it.

Edit: and for what it's worth I rather think there are plenty of recent-ish examples of FFG reigning themselves in, as well.

I am the opposite I suppose. I love all the busy bits and cards. To me if I don't want all the bookkeeping and pretty components then I should just play video game instead. No set up time and quick play but that is probably because I do a lot of solitaire gaming or just small group gaming.

There is a big group of Xwing and Armada playes around where I am, but man I am just feel like I am way too old for competitive gaming scene. People there are nice but I just don't have the time commitment or desire to hang out in game store for hours like I did when I was much younger.

Armada is great though, my son and I really enjoy it and it really feel difference from X-wing.

FFG still puts out some great games, yea they over do it with components and such, but I wouldn't be buying the games if I didn't enjoy them.

Mansions of Madness is only game of theirs which kinda feels not worth it ever, the amount of components and set up time involved is the worst. The game itself is fine, and it plays real quick too, but that makes it worse when it feels like set up takes longer than it does to play the game.

Draxal

FFG still puts out some great games, yea they over do it with components and such, but I wouldn't be buying the games if I didn't enjoy them.

Mansions of Madness is only game of theirs which kinda feels not worth it ever, the amount of components and set up time involved is the worst. The game itself is fine, and it plays real quick too, but that makes it worse when it feels like set up takes longer than it does to play the game.

The components is one thing, properly storing the contents is my issues with FFG games, if they made some proper inserts for their games I think there would be a lot less complaints.

Phthisis

The components is one thing, properly storing the contents is my issues with FFG games, if they made some proper inserts for their games I think there would be a lot less complaints.

Yeah, that's my main issue as well.

Don't get me wrong, I find a lot of FFG games to be great; Twilight Imperium is my favorite game of all time. but all of its components have a reason and place. I enjoy X-Wing, too, but I literally have shield and focus tokens coming out of my ears. The containers to hold all the sorted cards and chits and templates are their own separate pile from the minis if I ever need to take the game somewhere.

Draxal

Yeah, that's my main issue as well.

Don't get me wrong, I find a lot of FFG games to be great; Twilight Imperium is my favorite game of all time. but all of its components have a reason and place. I enjoy X-Wing, too, but I literally have shield and focus tokens coming out of my ears. The containers to hold all the sorted cards and chits and templates are their own separate pile from the minis if I ever need to take the game somewhere.

X-Wing is by far the worst at this, although to be fair it is a miniatures game and not a board game.

Draxal

I can't even fathom a mindset where an (admittedly) shitty insert is what holds someone back from liking a game.

Well, stuff like the Broken Token/the foam core cottage industry/and stuff like Smash Up's big Geeky Box exists for a reason.

It's particularly egregious in games with multiple expansions that's pretty hard to store (stuff like X-Wing/Imp Assault/Descent and all their figure packs). I'm pretty that if FFG were to open up an official X wing storage system that works well, it would be an instant hit.

Neverfade

Different sleeves.

Half cards suck.

More stacks to store in their trench style boxes.

Outside of a personal preference of not particularly caring for smaller cards (which most FF games don't make you hold a handful of anyway) I still don't see the problem. /shrug

Well, stuff like the Broken Token/the foam core cottage industry/and stuff like Smash Up's big Geeky Box exists for a reason.

It's particularly egregious in games with multiple expansions that's pretty hard to store (stuff like X-Wing/Imp Assault/Descent and all their figure packs). I'm pretty that if FFG were to open up an official X wing storage system that works well, it would be an instant hit.

I understand THAT, of course a dope ass insert is always nice, It just seemed the air about the topic might have been "the organization for this game sucks, so I'm going to actively avoid it, despite its merits as a game".

Those organizers are pretty sweet. Wish they didn't cost so much. I know there's a lot of work put into them and they're quality but I'd go broke just trying to obtain ones for the titles I own!

Stuff like X-Wing and miniature games are impossible to have a storage system for, it's always up to the players to come up with their best storage solution. Miniature games especially you can't make a system for since everyone will buy different quantities and types of components for how they play or factions/etc

Draxal

Stuff like X-Wing and miniature games are impossible to have a storage system for, it's always up to the players to come up with their best storage solution. Miniature games especially you can't make a system for since everyone will buy different quantities and types of components for how they play or factions/etc

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if they found out a system that works well they would have done so and released already.

But even if they had smaller stuff like boxes designed to fit their sleeved cards/templates/chits like they have in the tournaments kits it would be appreciated.

I understand THAT, of course a dope ass insert is always nice, It just seemed the air about the topic might have been "the organization for this game sucks, so I'm going to actively avoid it, despite its merits as a game".

Those organizers are pretty sweet. Wish they didn't cost so much. I know there's a lot of work put into them and they're quality but I'd go broke just trying to obtain ones for the titles I own!

I do think it will become a buying point eventually as game inserts are starting to get better (Machi Koro, the aforementioned big Geeky Box), especially as gamers collections gets too large to handle. I mean obviously it will never be the main driver behind purchasing a game, but I do think people appreciate it.

Blizzard

Banned
I really liked the Machi Koro box until I realize the cards fly everywhere when the box is turned on its side. I guess I have to carry it horizontally only. :p

Unfortunately, though I convinced 4 people to try the game with the expansion (so everything isn't just available from the start) it ended up super lopsided towards one player. Like happened to me once with 2 players, they got the sushi bar early. The rest of us proceeded to lose up to 3 coins at a time to it, and it took forever for us all to get 4 coins so we could finally purchase the landmark to roll two dice.

Of course, the player with the sushi bar also rapidly became rich and was able to buy two-dice cards so when we escaped the sushi bar, we could still farm their other cards for them.

It didn't help that a lot of the random 10 cards available for purchase were expensive, and 4-5 were purple.

Experien

I really liked the Machi Koro box until I realize the cards fly everywhere when the box is turned on its side. I guess I have to carry it horizontally only. :p

Unfortunately, though I convinced 4 people to try the game with the expansion (so everything isn't just available from the start) it ended up super lopsided towards one player. Like happened to me once with 2 players, they got the sushi bar early. The rest of us proceeded to lose up to 3 coins at a time to it, and it took forever for us all to get 4 coins so we could finally purchase the landmark to roll two dice.

Of course, the player with the sushi bar also rapidly became rich and was able to buy two-dice cards so when we escaped the sushi bar, we could still farm their other cards for them.

It didn't help that a lot of the random 10 cards available for purchase were expensive, and 4-5 were purple.

I use my Machi Koro box to store like 10 small games...works really well!

I'd like some suggestions for a new game to pick up. Looking for something that plays well with 2, 3, and 4 players. Nothing too complex but that'll play around 1-2 hours.

Competitive or co-op is fine. We've been playing a lot of the following games recently

Kemet
Castles of Burgundy
Smash Up
Pandemic

Neverfade

I'd like some suggestions for a new game to pick up. Looking for something that plays well with 2, 3, and 4 players. Nothing too complex but that'll play around 1-2 hours.

Competitive or co-op is fine. We've been playing a lot of the following games recently

Kemet
Castles of Burgundy
Smash Up
Pandemic

Cyclades
Quantum
Concordia
Istanbul
And if you like Castles of Burgundy there's plenty of other Felds that are pretty great. Bora Bora, And Luna are up there personally.

Xater

Kemet
Castles of Burgundy
Smash Up
Pandemic

Five Tribes

Top Bottom