• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Kitbash

I bit the bullet on Imperial Assault today, after months of resisting temptation due to the crazy prices in Australia. It's about $130 USD locally, or $75 + $75 to get it shipped from overseas. Today I realized Book Depository had it back in stock for $75, and they offer free shipping worldwide. (A policy that probably made more sense before they started selling jumbo-sized FFG games.)

I feel like Google has gone downhill for me the last few years.
Totally agree. I still use "+" out of habit, even though it doesn't appear to help much.

Neverfade

Forbidden Stars should be showing up today. Pretty stoked to get a meaty non-miniatures/campaign game again from FFG. Feels like it's been a while.

JSR_Cube

Forbidden Stars should be showing up today. Pretty stoked to get a meaty non-miniatures/campaign game again from FFG. Feels like it's been a while.

I am curious of hear your thoughts.

For us TI3 was alright, StarCraft was a big miss but we love AGOT and Eclipse. I want to know where this one falls before dropping the $100 on it.

New Vital Lacerda game hit kickstarter the other day!
sCskpOn.gif

Xater

I watched the Miami Dice thing about it and it confirmed this game is not for me.

Some FFG games just feel like they could be way better with a couple of streamlining rounds.

Blizzard

Banned
Yesterday, I got to play three games that were new to me.

Evolution:
Each player tries to build a bunch of different dinosaur species by picking traits like Climbing, Carnivore, Long-neck, etc. Herbivores have to get food from a central source, and carnivores have to attack other species. Dinosaurs have body size and population, and carnivores have to be bigger in body size in order to attack.

People trying carnivore ended up with mediocre results, and I did really badly. Partly it was because was screwing up. I tried twice to have an intelligent carnivore, but kept missing a rule and being unable to use it so it immediately got eaten and/or went extinct.

The two players who did best had some really good defensive cards like Climbing that meant they couldn't be attacked. I ended up getting attacked constantly because I was one of only 2 players without the best defensive cards down.

Avalon:
I played twice and won both times, once as a normal supporter of Arthur and once as Percival. The second game had 8 players and took forever, with lots of arguing about who might be good and who might be evil. Very stressful game.

Fistful of Penguins
A friend bought this as a simple dice game to teach his parents...but it turned out to be super complicated to follow the rules, at least at first. Everyone gets a turn around the table rolling 4 dice, then 5 dice, then 6 dice, then the game ends and the player with the most money wins.

The confusing thing is that any time you roll the dice, you end up with a bunch of animal symbols and have to use a reference card to figure out what combinations are legal. You can't score a moose unless a squirrel is present. You can spend a penguin to reroll a die or add another die...but not a penguin on a die, a little plastic penguin instead. Scoring kangaroos gives you tokens, which flip (I think we screwed this rule up and flipped too early) in some situation the next round, and can be used later, but don't score for anything. Lions scare other animals off, but not penguins.

I was in last place, but with all the dice things may have been a bit luck based. I wasn't a huge fan. If someone is trying to learn it, it's perhaps best to just play a practice round instead of trying to read through the rules.

EYEL1NER

Bought a copy of FITS earlier. It seemed like it would be something easy for my daughter to play with my wife and I. Putting the shapes on the ramp and building something seemed like it would be a nice change of pace from laying down cards and moving minis around. I bought a copy of Hive Carbon too. So I look forward to playing both of those when I get home in a couple days.

I see that Agents of SMERSH 2E is in stock at CardHaus. I'm pretty tempted to pick that up; I wanted to back it but mixed up my times and missed the project's deadline. I've got my eye on two different KS projects too though. The Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles 2E project that ends in a couple hours and the new Apex deckbuilding game project. I hadn't heard of Apex until today so I didn't know there was already a base game out there. That dinosaur artwork looks incredible though, so very vivid. I've been craving a game with a dinosaur theme and most of the ones I look at on BGG don't appeal to me. This one does though. I was doing some reading and saw some comparisons to and the claim that it was inspired by Legendary. Legendary is supposed to be pretty good (still need to play my copy). So I think I might throw some money at that campaign and get the base game plus expansions.
Wok Star 3E is up too but it's GameSalute (ughhhh) and they said that everything is ready to be sent to the manufacturer shortly after the campaign ends and they expect to have the game shipped to backers in May 2016 (which still sounds early for GameSalute but way too long for me to wait on a small "nearly-complete" game).

Wok Star 3E is up too but it's GameSalute (ughhhh) and they said that everything is ready to be sent to the manufacturer shortly after the campaign ends and they expect to have the game shipped to backers in May 2016 (which still sounds early for GameSalute but way too long for me to wait on a small "nearly-complete" game).

Wok Star is "Print Ready" so we plan to send the final files to the printer within a week or two of the project's close.
This is what they said during the second edition. There was a good year + before people got their games. Don't give these people your money.

Cerity

Our group hit new levels of Gloom yesterday. Last time we played, the dog (Balthazaar) died without worries in the very first turn and it's been a sore point for that person since. It was her birthday yesterday and this was set up.

Neverfade

I watched the Miami Dice thing about it and it confirmed this game is not for me.

Some FFG games just feel like they could be way better with a couple of streamlining rounds.

I haven't watched the video but now having played it, it's definitely one of their most streamlined titles.

You resolve 4 orders per round, and 3 of them are dead simple, and the 4th is only marginally more complicated if you start a battle -- which is roll a handful of dice and play three cards.

I really don't know how they could dumb it down anymore without making it awful.

Not sure why but Lord of Waterdeep is 50% off on Amazon (U.S.) it's 24.99.
Walmart had it and the expansion on sale for no reason and amazon has been back and forth on price matching just the base game. I was lucky to get one as its been blinking in and out of stock for the past week. I'm still keeping an eye out for the expansion

Walmart had it and the expansion on sale for no reason and amazon has been back and forth on price matching just the base game. I was lucky to get one as its been blinking in and out of stock for the past week. I'm still keeping an eye out for the expansion

Ah, that explained it.

Lupercal

Banned
Just preordered Forbidden Stars for 60£ on amazon including shipping. Maybe that can scratch my Twilight Imperium itch because my regular game group is hesitant in playing that again because of length.

Blizzard

Banned
Not sure why but Lord of Waterdeep is 50% off on Amazon (U.S.) it's 24.99.
Thanks for the heads up, paid around $27 with tax on Amazon. I might get the expansion if I see a $20 or less sale.

I think I saw someone talking about Lords of Waterdeep for two players. Is removing mandatory quests the best way to balance it so it's not frustrating for two?

zulux21

so we are trying out myth 2.0 rules and they talk about 12 trap cards that aren't on the base game parts list on board game geek. Anyone know where to get them?

Xater

Heading to ConSimWorld Expo this week. I'll be sure and post some pictures (for the few war game fans around here).

I might not be a war game fan but I am open for everything. It's just that generally war games to sit well with my group or that I think they are a slog to play. I do like 1775 for example. The Commands & Colors stuff is also always fun.

First time with Twilight Struggle, didn't go over so well. It was just real surprising how the scoring works, our western player had o idea that there was no scoring for south or central america in the early war period, so all his efforts there wasted, while my Soviet domination of Europe scored me tons of points early for a quick shut out victory.

Game seems interesting, but its annoying that you have to learn what cards do and what period of the game they come in ahead of time, or you just can lose by default pretty much.

fenners

First time with Twilight Struggle, didn't go over so well. It was just real surprising how the scoring works, our western player had o idea that there was no scoring for south or central america in the early war period, so all his efforts there wasted, while my Soviet domination of Europe scored me tons of points early for a quick shut out victory.

The 'positioning' of the scoring cards is not/b] supposed to be secret & new players should be told up front of each 'era' what scoring cards are in play (and what's coming up in the next). You really need to make the areas of the board that are 'in play' clear.

It's a game that rewards repeated plays, especially with the same players. There's tons of nuance to it, tons of balance to it, and I love it, even if I don't get to play it much these days. Anyone in Austin want to play? :)

Lyng

Got Le Havre to the table yesterday for the first time.
Instant love. Really love the game even though I can feel I havent even begon to scratch the surface.
This game seems to have a ton of depth to it, while at the same time beeing very streamlined in gameplay.
Awsome game.

On a different note I want to round out my collection with a civ game. Not interested in a dudes on the map game.
I am only going to play it two player.
So should I get Nations or wait for the new edition of Tta? For those who played these games what are pros and cons of them, and how are they with two players?

Karkador

Banned
On a different note I want to round out my collection with a civ game. Not interested in a dudes on the map game.
I am only going to play it two player.
So should I get Nations or wait for the new edition of Tta? For those who played these games what are pros and cons of them, and how are they with two players?

What do you not like about dudes on a map? What kind of things are you interested in a civ game for?

Lyng

What do you not like about dudes on a map? What kind of things are you interested in a civ game for?

Well I dont mind a dudes on the map game, but not for civilization. I am interested in the building up and the development of tech, culture etc. Not so much the war aspect.
I search for a abstracted simulation of civ building.

Neverfade

Well I dont mind a dudes on the map game, but not for civilization. I am interested in the building up and the development of tech, culture etc. Not so much the war aspect.
I search for a abstracted simulation of civ building.

Abstract tech Civ game? Sounds a whole lot like Innovation!

Glad you ended up liking Le Havre, too!

Lyng

Abstract tech Civ game? Sounds a whole lot like Innovation!

Glad you ended up liking Le Havre, too!

Well yeah I looked at Innovation several times. But I would like a more epic feeling. Have narrowed it down to Nations and Through the Ages. Just really cannot decide which one to get of the two.

Yeah Le Havre is just fantastic. Such a beautifull economic game. Very easy to play but still with some masterfully heavy decisions.
You just know a game is great when you just played 2 hours and imidiatly want to play it again.

Karkador

Banned
I could talk about this a lot, because I really like the civ genre of games, but I feel like I still haven't found the "perfect" game. That's not even taking the challenge of "Does it work with 2P?" into account, lol

I'll comment on some of the different games I've played, though:

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game - I like that this game has different types of victories to go for; and it's possible to avoid war. Many of the things from the computer game are represented here. Unlike a lot of civ games, "Culture" has a little more weight to it, because you gain abilities from it, it's not just a meaningless number. However, there are a million pieces to this game, and it feels like too much. Plays pretty well with 2.

Through the Ages - I like this game; it feels very well-designed. I like that you have two central resource pieces (Population, and Resources), but many options for how to assign them. This very elegant central mechanism makes it feel pretty unique from computer Civ games. Unfortunately, the theming and sense of "wonder" that you're "building something" comes through rather dimly here, since it's rather abstract. It plays very well with 2, though.

speaking of wonders

7 Wonders - This game is supposed to be bad with 2P, but reportedly a 2P version is coming out soon. I loved this game when I first played it, but Science being the only apparent strategy to the game kinda killed it. However, it's a short, simple, and sweet Civ game. Some say it's not a civ game, but I think it hits the spot better than "Nations the Dice Game".

Nations the Dice Game - I played this game once, and it was about as dry as a game can get. Eh.

Patchistory - Really interesting, unique take on a civ game from Korea. With cards, you create a growing 'quilt' of resources, infrastructure, leaders, and wonders that become your civ. You certainly haven't played this on a PC. It's a good collection of ideas, but lacks some optimization, though. It almost works with 2, but the auction phases in any game for 2 players are dull. A good variant for that phase of the game would make this awesome for 2P.

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony - Although this looks (and sounds like) a war game, this is a very good civ game specifically for 2. The game is extremely tense and difficult, even if you never battle, as a lot of it is an economic and resource game. I really like that you take control of cities, and then try to cultivate them by growing the city populations (people cubes that can either stay in your cities, or go out onto the board as trained units), and building different works in your cities. The point of the game is not to fight, but to have the biggest population.

Struggle for Catan - It's a card game with a lot of the Catan logic, but it's quite a different and unique game, and specifically made for 2. Though perhaps not the "big picture" you want from a civ game. I like that you are zoomed in a little closer to the Catan world, building individual buildings that will give you certain benefits, while also fighting off different hordes. The different expansions for this game are pretty interesting, as they all change the style of game quite a bit.

That's all I can think of for now, more to come

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like science rarely wins 7 Wonders in the games I play, but that's usually with 4+ people. With 2 players science may be the absolute best.

Lyng

I could talk about this a lot, because I really like the civ genre of games, but I feel like I still haven't found the "perfect" game. That's not even taking the challenge of "Does it work with 2P?" into account, lol

I'll comment on some of the different games I've played, though:

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game - I like that this game has different types of victories to go for; and it's possible to avoid war. Many of the things from the computer game are represented here. Unlike a lot of civ games, "Culture" has a little more weight to it, because you gain abilities from it, it's not just a meaningless number. However, there are a million pieces to this game, and it feels like too much. Plays pretty well with 2.

Through the Ages - I like this game; it feels very well-designed. I like that you have two central resource pieces (Population, and Resources), but many options for how to assign them. This very elegant central mechanism makes it feel pretty unique from computer Civ games. Unfortunately, the theming and sense of "wonder" that you're "building something" comes through rather dimly here, since it's rather abstract. It plays very well with 2, though.

speaking of wonders

7 Wonders - This game is supposed to be bad with 2P, but reportedly a 2P version is coming out soon. I loved this game when I first played it, but Science being the only apparent strategy to the game kinda killed it. However, it's a short, simple, and sweet Civ game. Some say it's not a civ game, but I think it hits the spot better than "Nations the Dice Game".

Nations the Dice Game - I played this game once, and it was about as dry as a game can get. Eh.

Patchistory - Really interesting, unique take on a civ game from Korea. With cards, you create a growing 'quilt' of resources, infrastructure, leaders, and wonders that become your civ. You certainly haven't played this on a PC. It's a good collection of ideas, but lacks some optimization, though. It almost works with 2, but the auction phases in any game for 2 players are dull. A good variant for that phase of the game would make this awesome for 2P.

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony - Although this looks (and sounds like) a war game, this is a very good civ game specifically for 2. The game is extremely tense and difficult, even if you never battle, as a lot of it is an economic and resource game. I really like that you take control of cities, and then try to cultivate them by growing the city populations (people cubes that can either stay in your cities, or go out onto the board as trained units), and building different works in your cities. The point of the game is not to fight, but to have the biggest population.

Struggle for Catan - It's a card game with a lot of the Catan logic, but it's quite a different and unique game, and specifically made for 2. Though perhaps not the "big picture" you want from a civ game. I like that you are zoomed in a little closer to the Catan world, building individual buildings that will give you certain benefits, while also fighting off different hordes. The different expansions for this game are pretty interesting, as they all change the style of game quite a bit.

That's all I can think of for now, more to come

Thank you :)

7 Wonders is allready in my collection and I enjoy it. However it does not invoke the feeling of civ building in me. To me 7 Wonders is purely a draft game. (And maybe the best at that)

Polis looks very interesting. It is getting alot of praise. It just seems to me like you are almost forced to go the military route but maybe I am mistaken.

How long are the two player games of Tta for you normally?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I feel like science rarely wins 7 Wonders in the games I play, but that's usually with 4+ people. With 2 players science may be the absolute best.

It's so case specific. Basically in 3-4p games if no one else does science it will almost definitely win unless people are very astutely burying science cards (sometimes at a small cost to them even). I love 7W but recently I do have a hard time in 3-4 b/c it just seems to come down to whether two people do science or not.

The 'positioning' of the scoring cards is not/b] supposed to be secret & new players should be told up front of each 'era' what scoring cards are in play (and what's coming up in the next). You really need to make the areas of the board that are 'in play' clear.

It's a game that rewards repeated plays, especially with the same players. There's tons of nuance to it, tons of balance to it, and I love it, even if I don't get to play it much these days. Anyone in Austin want to play? :)

Thats the thing, neither of us knew this so first game of it went really bad which is never a good first impression to have especially for the losing player who was like "fuck this game"

Gonna be same for the next two eras of the game? So we got to keep doing trial and error till we learn the game? It's kinda annoying.

Phthisis

Great, great game. Despite being very different mechanically, it reminds me a lot of A Few Acres of Snow in that it's trying to model a historical conflict from all angles (economic, political, militarily)

Polis looks very interesting. It is getting alot of praise. It just seems to me like you are almost forced to go the military route but maybe I am mistaken.

Military is very situational. I have played games where there was virtually no military combat or activity at all. Really depends on how the game unfolds (which is one of the reasons I really like it; it's a Euro-styled game that is very open-ended with no "right" way to play it). In general, Sparta is the likely instigator of land war, but if Athens can control the oceans, it's really hard for Sparta to fight; they'll be more concerned with harvesting food from the territory they are able (or not able) to reach and control.

Lyng

Ended up getting Nations due to the playtime factor, and my wife not looking the fiddlyness of Tta. Will most likely get Polis at some point. Looks quiet amazing.

Xero

My wife and i have been having a great time with Nations. We are excited to see what new mechanics the dynasty expansion will add.

Ohnonono

I have a shrink wrapped copy of Shadows of Brimstone:City of Ancients that has been sitting around for a while. I just don't have the space to set it up. Apparently it is now OOP because the Amazon and BGG prices are going above retail. I want to sell it but its stupid giant box is keeping me from trying. What I would have to charge to make my money back would be kind of nuts I think. Frustration. It takes up space in my limited game closet and I will never take it out of the shrink. I am sure other people on here have impulse bought stupid stuff but man this feels bad! If only the box was reasonable I could get rid of it easy!

fenners

I have a shrink wrapped copy of Shadows of Brimstone:City of Ancients that has been sitting around for a while. I just don't have the space to set it up. Apparently it is now OOP because the Amazon and BGG prices are going above retail. I want to sell it but its stupid giant box is keeping me from trying. What I would have to charge to make my money back would be kind of nuts I think. Frustration. It takes up space in my limited game closet and I will never take it out of the shrink. I am sure other people on here have impulse bought stupid stuff but man this feels bad! If only the box was reasonable I could get rid of it easy!

I feel your pain - I have a copy of Fortune & Glory that I want to trade, but the shipping costs would be ridiculous.

Phthisis

Some ConSimWorld Expo pics from the last couple days.

A game called ETO from Victory Point Games undergoing some play testing. It's an operational scale WWII simulation.
http://www.victorypointgames.com/news/frank-chadwick-eto-csw/

No idea what game this is, but the models looked awesome.

A campaign level WWI game from across the globe. I actually own this game and read the rules this week (it seems to play really nicely), and I walked in and some guys were playing the game. Love the maps.

Twilight in the East from GMT. Been curious about this game for a while, but I'm a little daunted by the ruleset. It's impressive on the table, but I am not a fan of how the counters kind of blend into the terrain. Hard to make out.

Unconditional Surrender from GMT, another game I own but had yet to play before the expo. Turns out I got a crash course with the designer himself who taught me how to play (I was the Soviets in this picture).

Got in some Sekigahara last night. Close game, but I lost.

I think this is Beyond the Rhine from MMP? Models the end of WWII with the Allies pushing into Germany.

A couple other games I don't know the names to but looked cool. Wellington's War is about the Peninsular War in Spain (dur), and some older game about the WWII Pacific theater.

Has anyone here tried Triassic Terror? My friend keeps talking about getting it and reviews seem pretty good so I was wondering if anyone had any impressions on it.

Neverfade

Nabbed Deep Sea Adventures from the BGG store -- seems like a neat little push your luck game.

Wish there was more info on some of the other Oink! titles. Those uniform boxes are begging to be lined up together.

Nabbed Deep Sea Adventures from the BGG store -- seems like a neat little push your luck game.

Wish there was more info on some of the other Oink! titles. Those uniform boxes are begging to be lined up together.

Thanks for the heads up, missed the first shipment and was waiting for the restock.

Blizzard

Banned
The Amazon sale Lords of Waterdeep got here today. I'm impressed by the plastic tray with lots of places for stuff, though I'm still trying to figure out exactly where it should go. I have to remember never to turn this box on its side too, because everything will go everywhere.

What's the best way to make it a fun game for 2 players? Is it only removing mandatory quests? I might try one 2-player game with the original rules first, but I did see this post:
I usually takes the mandatory quests out and a few of the less useful when in 2-player intrigue cards. Makes the game a little less mean and swingy for those lucky enough to draw a mandatory quest. Also makes the intrigue deck still worth drawing from.

Blizzard

Banned
That LoW insert goodwill is squandered on that garbage box lid. Man I hate that damn thing.
I thought it was clever because the top and bottom don't meet, so you can actually get your fingers in the middle and open it.

Most boxes you have to hold by diagonal corners and sort of shake until the bottom comes loose.

Got in Boss Monster 2, pretty bummed to find that the cards are almost matte finish, while the original game was glossy coated. They are supposed to be compatible, but the different card stocks are way too different.

Karkador

Banned

Yep!

M505J1n.jpg

I've had my eye on the ones in the BGG store. Deep Sea Adventure seems like the most popular, but Troll also seems fun (and it's a remake of another game, so that gives the design a little more credibility...maybe). Fake Artist Goes to New York seems fun, but also not something you need to buy a game to play, and Rights seems like a janky Rummy game.

Top Bottom