• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Palmer_v1

Just watched a pretty in depth review video. This game looks AMAZING. Definitely picking a copy up. But is Gen Con really the best place? I mean, I can get a copy for $50 or so instead of the list of...A lot more.

Same with really any game. Is there a "best place" to get boardgames?

Your LGS if you use their play area? Otherwise, it's hard to say. Lot of different sites have sales periodically, but you never know for sure.

Mr E.

I've been watching Tabletop to get an idea of some of the games that have been mentioned. So far I'm thinking Sushi Go and King of Tokyo are games that can easily be played with my 9 year old, while also including my 6 year old albeit with help from mom and dad.

King of New York does look like the more "complete" game, but I think that's just too many additional mechanics for a 9 year old to handle, and definitely too many for a 6 year old to be able to participate at all.

Love Letter also seems like a pretty simple game to grasp and one that is portable enough to even play in the car on trips.
Thanks for these suggestions so far, and any additional ones will always be welcome.
Survive escape from Atlantis is a great game for the kids. Best with 4 or 2 players. A bit awkward with 3. Kids will love ganging up on dad.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Survive escape from Atlantis is a great game for the kids. Best with 4 or 2 players. A bit awkward with 3. Kids will love ganging up on dad.
Or mom, right? Right?

I ended up ordering Sushi Go, Love Letters, and King of Tokyo. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

So I saw the Runebound 3rd edition rumor...any other rumors/surprises for GenCon that people have heard?

I'm mapping out my vendor hall route now, and damnit the stuff I want in the order I want it in is super spread out.

Deadstar

This is a public service announcement.

If you have never played Cosmic Encounter. Play Cosmic Encounter. It's one of the best games I've ever played. It's just too much fun.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

If you have never played Cosmic Encounter. Play Cosmic Encounter. It's one of the best games I've ever played. It's just too much fun.

Out of stock almost immediately on CSI. $50 on amazon but I need to get this REX order on CSI over $100!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I saw the Runebound 3rd edition rumor...any other rumors/surprises for GenCon that people have heard?

I'm mapping out my vendor hall route now, and damnit the stuff I want in the order I want it in is super spread out.
500px-Breathing_intensifies.jpg

Jumplion

The PHB and the DMM is technically all you need. Wizards of the Coast has sn Elemental Evil PHB add on on their website with a few more races and spells but it's not at all necessary. There's a starter kit that for about 20 bucks that has a campaign if you want to do a pre made module but it shouldn't be too hard to tweak any campaigns from earlier versions.

I'll look into that. I'm mostly looking for campaigns to be lazy and focus more on the group since I'm not too experienced as a DM and most of my friends don't have too much experience with DnD.

Hey, awesome! Congrats on getting published!
Major congratulations on getting published :)

Thanks, it's pretty exciting. It feels weird trying to sneak in and be all "heeeyyy guys, I did a thing" but that's part of the living spambot portion of game dev that I need to get used to. It's been getting some pretty good reception so far, and even the negative reception feels nice because it's all "They're paying attention to me!". The game should be at the Breaking Games booth at GenCon, so anyone who's going there should definitely drop by and check it out.

GiJoccin

game looks awesome, but cheapest on amazon is 60 bucks including shipping

and that one's not in stock, cheapest in stock is 80 bucks

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Got a chance to play Impulse finally and it seems like that game can get wildly lopsided pretty quickly lol. I played against my friend and he explored basically nothing but command and build cards while I got a lot of trade, research and refine. Heart of the cards can definitely get you destroyed quick in this game. At least, that is what it feels like after one play.

If you are in the US, it is kinda pointless to be buying anything from CSI while at Gencon, since you can usually get it cheaper online, and don't have to pay to ship it back home.

Only games I would pick up at Gencon are the new ones, exclusives, or crazy deals some booths offer on clearance products. Like TMG had $5 games last year

ultron87

Trying to get Flick Em Up, Codenames and Mysterium at Gen Con. Not enthusiastic about Mysterium because that is on like everyone's list and supposedly in short supply, but might as well try.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If you are in the US, it is kinda pointless to be buying anything from CSI while at Gencon, since you can usually get it cheaper online, and don't have to pay to ship it back home.

Only games I would pick up at Gencon are the new ones, exclusives, or crazy deals some booths offer on clearance products. Like TMG had $5 games last year

Are there people selling used games or anything?

Are there people selling used games or anything?

There is the big auction room that is selling old stuff all day usually. Some vendors might carry some older games and such too, but not a ton. See more vendors that just have tons of stock on stuff they are trying to clear out for real cheap.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There is the big auction room that is selling old stuff all day usually. Some vendors might carry some older games and such too, but not a ton. See more vendors that just have tons of stock on stuff they are trying to clear out for real cheap.

I just said screw and bought Mage Knight new with free 1 day shipping for $62 on Amazon Prime. I'll have it tomorrow. :)

zulux21

munchkin adventure time is $10.39 for prime members on amazon.

I'm tempted to get it as I love adventure time, but alas I already own like 5 sets of munchkin ><;

Coolstuffinc will have a booth at Gen Con, right? Will they have prices like this on their games?

as others have said the prices at gen con will be near retail. this time of year though a number of sites (amazon, coolstuf ect) tend to run a lot of sales on board games though, and those will be what I will post when I see them and am around. It is expected that sometime in the next 5 or so days amazon will run a decently sized board game sale.

Wish I could go to GenCon to play in the VS System $10K :( Game looks super good to me...might pull me back into tabletop games after I quit a long CCG career in 2007. Is anyone from GAF checking out the game?

fenners

Ignoring the cost of games, what's the average sort of cost for a hotel room (before splitting with folk) + gencon ticket these days? A few friends scattered around the country are suggesting it as a good meetup next year.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ignoring the cost of games, what's the average sort of cost for a hotel room (before splitting with folk) + gencon ticket these days? A few friends scattered around the country are suggesting it as a good meetup next year.

Rooms can run around 250-300 average a night depending on when and where you book. One year, we had like 8 people in a room and it cut costs down a LOT. A 4 day is like $99 after fees or whatever. So take that for what it's worth.

For Gencon weekend at nearby hotel, you are likely going to spend 900-1000$

Indiana has really high hotel taxes and fees sadly, so it's an expensive con to go to unless you can split the room with multiple people. But toss in dining expenses, travel, and likely money you will spend on buying stuff, Gencon can be a pricey trip.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So a guy from out of state isn't able to make it to Gen Con and wants me to pick him up a few games and ship them to him. I'm happy to help him out as I'm close to the Con and don't have a huge pickup list myself. I've read that people charge a "finder's fee" for these sorts of services, but what should I be asking for here? I mean, I was thinking like $10-15, but is this a normal thing?

joelseph

I'm at the Hampton inn in the circle mall and its 180 something a night. Splitting with friends gets it down. Parking is 20 a day with ins and outs. Free breakfast. You could do even cheaper if you stay out near the airport. I would estimate you could do Gencon on a tight budget of 300 each if you avoided buying much on the floor.

joelseph

So a guy from out of state isn't able to make it to Gen Con and wants me to pick him up a few games and ship them to him. I'm happy to help him out as I'm close to the Con and don't have a huge pickup list myself. I've read that people charge a "finder's fee" for these sorts of services, but what should I be asking for here? I mean, I was thinking like $10-15, but is this a normal thing?

If you are going out of your way to get the item I would consider a fee. If you are aready in line getting a copy for yourself I would just ship it. :)

I shipped Joey Firefly when it came out a couple years back!

joelseph

Find me on the floor today! plan of attack is portal, gale force, upper deck. Entrepreneurs lane. Wearing a Black tee with a grey dog on the front.

I'm at the Hampton inn in the circle mall and its 180 something a night. Splitting with friends gets it down. Parking is 20 a day with ins and outs. Free breakfast. You could do even cheaper if you stay out near the airport. I would estimate you could do Gencon on a tight budget of 300 each if you avoided buying much on the floor.

Budgeting yourself at Gencon, kills most of the fun. It's a splurge fest

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Find me on the floor today! plan of attack is portal, gale force, upper deck. Entrepreneurs lane. Wearing a Black tee with a grey dog on the front.

You working the convention? I'll be down there tomorrow morning since I have to actually get a few things done at work today, ha.

Top Bottom