• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Faiz

FFG: here it is, announcing the new WARHAMMER QUEST....

Me: 😃😃😃

FFG: ... ADVENTURE CARD GAME!!!

Me: fuuuuuuuuuuuu😰

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I played King of New York recently (similar to King of Tokyo). One player got in Manhattan, rolled 6 claws, bought a card that instantly gave him another turn, and rolled maybe 2 more claws in case anyone wasn't dead.

Since that's 8 damage and you can't normally have more than 10 HP, everyone in the game at the time died instantly. :(

Sounds like he is really good at that game.

Ohnonono

Welp, I was trying not to buy more board game stuff but that Warhammer card game will be on the Xmas list at least. I love single player adventure games and really love the WH fantasy setting. From the pictures the setup looks pretty basic as well. Very excited!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
XsUyAZ_TzGMc99XgCv2nKETIJvhK5PmisiFQKViQqDdj=w1723-h969-no

So I spent a lot of money today. I bought both core sets and the expansion to Shadows of Brimstone. I also bought all of the Gen Con promos. They won't be released to the public until 2016. My wallet hurts.

But! The main designer and art designer signed the outside of the 2 core sets and the expansion. This game is basically Warhammer Quest without all the bullshit imbalance.

Mage Knight is here! I want to play it, but I'm waking up at the ass crack of dawn to get to Gen Con on the morning. Probably will wait until later on next week to give it a go.

I just got the Lost Legion expansion (I fear it's going OOP just like the Krang expansion, since it's out of stock at several places). I would wait till you have time to sit down and play it.

It's been my experience, especially lately, that the best people and interactions on GAF are overwhelmingly in the OT community threads. Outside of that too many people trolling.

This and LEGO GAF is my two favorite places. I barely go to the "gaming side" (not sure why this thread is not in gaming side).

FFG: here it is, announcing the new WARHAMMER QUEST....

Me: 😃😃😃

FFG: ... ADVENTURE CARD GAME!!!

Me: fuuuuuuuuuuuu😰

I am sure Games Workshop not going to let them do any game that have real Warhammer miniatures.

So I spent a lot of money today.
You did indeed! Awesome stuff, so jealous. Makes me even more excited for when my Outlaw pledge arrives. I didn't have the money at the time to go all out during the KS for a Minecart level, so I'll have a few holes to fill with expansion content when it finally hits retail. Plus the new content like swamp slugs looks cool.

This reminds me that I gotta get the guys together to continue our campaign.

I am looking into getting Marvel Legendary but there is something that is bothering me about getting it and that is whether or not it suffers from the Alien versions missing cards. I don't want to get it and have to worry about making sure each and every card is there so I'm curious if it has those problems and whether or not they are fixed. That's what has been stopping me from picking up Alien too.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the heads up! Longhorn looks interesting for 2 players though I saw someone mention if you fall behind, there may not be much way to catch back up.

I might also finally get my own copy of 7 Wonders.

*edit* Any opinions on Istanbul and La Isla? I saw an Istanbul review that suggested a lot of the actions were similar, and players might get action-loops where they do the same things until endgame. I also saw a La Isla review mentioning iffy quality on the parts.

Thanks for the heads up! Longhorn looks interesting for 2 players though I saw someone mention if you fall behind, there may not be much way to catch back up.

I might also finally get my own copy of 7 Wonders.

*edit* Any opinions on Istanbul and La Isla? I saw an Istanbul review that suggested a lot of the actions were similar, and players might get action-loops where they do the same things until endgame. I also saw a La Isla review mentioning iffy quality on the parts.

I have been eyeing Istanbul also, so for 26.00 I figured why not. Any opinion here on Castle of Burgundy? I am at work and can't really watch YouTube. Also want to pick up Roll for the galaxy but not sure when I will ever get to play it.

Faiz

I am sure Games Workshop not going to let them do any game that have real Warhammer miniatures.

Yeah you're probably right. Honestly would have settled for something slightly out of scale though! And still feels like I got trolled a little, haha. I'm not salty about it, just thought it was kinda ironic. :D

Just saw this on the BGG Facebook group. Finally got Castles of Burgundy and Splendor for $20 each. Woohoo! This helps heal the wounds of missing out on the Barnes and Noble clearance and, likely, no new boardgames for my birthday this week.

Blizzard

Banned
I ended up going with Longhorn and Istanbul. The group I usually play with already has 7 Wonders, and I found another mention of the mediocre part quality of La Isla so I didn't want to experiment.

I am looking into getting Marvel Legendary but there is something that is bothering me about getting it and that is whether or not it suffers from the Alien versions missing cards. I don't want to get it and have to worry about making sure each and every card is there so I'm curious if it has those problems and whether or not they are fixed. That's what has been stopping me from picking up Alien too.
You have to sort all the cards anyway. It's not a huge deal to make sure all the cards are in a stack while you're doing it. I always check all of my components for all of my games. A game not having a part list is a cardinal sin for me.

zulux21

after hearing nothing but praise for Machi Koro I picked that up via the amazon sale.

also got roll for the galaxy which I have played before.

unsure about zombicide season 2...

Hi board game GAF

I am going on holiday with some of my extended family in a week and want to get a game or two for evening entertainment purposes

I have no idea what to go for

FWIW, as a few of you probably know (I see you Palmer and Karkador), I'm down with mafia-style games. Aside from that, I don't have any sort of frame of reference. I wouldn't say I'm good at strategy video games but I don't know if that would indicate anything in terms of board games

Basically

Halp pls c:

after hearing nothing but praise for Machi Koro I picked that up via the amazon sale.

also got roll for the galaxy which I have played before.

unsure about zombicide season 2...

Machi Koro is a lot of fun, but you'll quickly learn the strategy to win (factories and the cards that feed into them). I suggest doing a 10 card variant, where instead of laying out all the cards, you shuffle all the cards, then draw until you have 10 unique cards on the table. If you draw a duplicate, stack it on top of the original and keep drawing until you have 10. When a property is purchased, draw a new card to replace it so you always have 10 in the 'market.'

Edit- the first expansion adds new cards and these variant rules, but you can play the variant with the base set. A second expansion comes out in a few weeks, I'm looking forward to it.

Faiz

Hi board game GAF

I am going on holiday with some of my extended family in a week and want to get a game or two for evening entertainment purposes

FWIW, as a few of you probably know (I see you Palmer and Karkador), I'm down with mafia-style games. Aside from that, I don't have any sort of frame of reference. I wouldn't say I'm good at strategy video games but I don't know if that would indicate anything in terms of board games

Basically

Halp pls c:

Number of players?

Rules heavy or rules light?

Other themes that might be a no-go for members of your family?

Number of players?

Rules heavy or rules light?

Other themes that might be a no-go for members of your family?

There'll be 12 of us, but it'd probably be more in the range of 6-10 people most of the time.

Lighter on rules is probably a better option to keep my sanity.

Don't think so, no.

Machi Koro is a lot of fun, but you'll quickly learn the strategy to win (factories and the cards that feed into them). I suggest doing a 10 card variant, where instead of laying out all the cards, you shuffle all the cards, then draw until you have 10 unique cards on the table. If you draw a duplicate, stack it on top of the original and keep drawing until you have 10. When a property is purchased, draw a new card to replace it so you always have 10 in the 'market.'

Edit- the first expansion adds new cards and these variant rules, but you can play the variant with the base set. A second expansion comes out in a few weeks, I'm looking forward to it.

Yes, the game is great, but after the first few games the variant rules are necessary.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
There'll be 12 of us, but it'd probably be more in the range of 6-10 people most of the time.

Lighter on rules is probably a better option to keep my sanity.

Don't think so, no.

Resistance is 10 players and super easy to play.

Shadows over Camelot is I think up to 7 players and not too difficult to learn and teach. Co-op game.

Dragon's Gold is a quick 6 player negotiation game.

Twilight Imperium is 6 players and could possibly take the entire trip to play.

zulux21

thanks, if I like it I will likely pick up the first expansion.

Blizzard

Banned
Similar to the earlier poster's comments, my experience:

A friend and I initially loved Machi Koro (pretty fun theme, mechanics, and art), but quickly found out that games tended to be similar at least with 2 players due to certain cards/strategies being almost universally better, or maybe just some bad luck. One player also tended to get ahead early and shut the other one down with the right circumstances. When I played with maybe 5 players, I had something similar happen where 1 person shut everyone else down and it took forever for people to get enough gold for 2 dice due to constant sushi bar hits.

This was with the Harbor expansion and the 10-card variant, by the way. The Millionaire's Row expansion comes out mid-August, so thanks for reminding me about that. I'm hoping that improves things somewhat, otherwise we will probably end up rarely playing it in the future.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Gen Con has proven to be a really great way to ease me back into serious gaming. I picked up everything available to Shadows of Brimstone (minus two blister figures that were out of stock), 3 expansions to Ascension (2 small boxes and 1 standalone box), Zombie Dice expansions, and plan to shop some sales tomorrow.

I may be one of the biggest Runebound nuts out there, but I'm not nearly as excited about 3rd edition as I was hoping. No solo variant (which is basically a requirement for this style of game anymore), smaller/cheaper looking stuff and no real excitement or enthusiasm surrounding the release. Also, the new Warhammer Quest is a card game? Glad I bought Shadows of Brimstone since that's ACTUALLY a new Warhammer Quest. I'll see how it plays, but my expectations are low.

We will see if I can score anything fun tomorrow during the sales.

Kitbash

Gen Con has proven to be a really great way to ease me back into serious gaming. I picked up everything available to Shadows of Brimstone (minus two blister figures that were out of stock), 3 expansions to Ascension (2 small boxes and 1 standalone box), Zombie Dice expansions, and plan to shop some sales tomorrow.
You call that easing?! :D

Blizzard

Banned
I convinced 3 other people at my board game group to try Tzolk'in with me. Previously I had only played a few 2-player games.

Even with 4 players, one player who had heavy temple influence and some skull points crushed everyone else. I feel like the corn, technology, worker, building, and monument stuff cannot compete much except in optimal cases. The player got a monument that gave 20 points for having 2 level 3 technologies, but still ended up in 4th place.

I feel as though the large resource prices of the buildings and monuments contributes to this issue. If you try to pursue buildings, and/or monuments that give you points for buildings, you have to spend a lot of actions to build up the necessary resources AND spend those resources just to finally get the cards and earn a few points.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You call that easing?! :D

You know...Ha. From a mechanics standpoint, I thought yes. But after trying out Ascension: mmortal Heroes tonight, my brain started to melt. I know how to deal with lots of deep rules for card games...But there are a LOT of crazy combos and rules that you need to balance. Base Ascension may be something my wife enjoyes. But these expansions are NUTTY with rules at some point.

JSR_Cube

I convinced 3 other people at my board game group to try Tzolk'in with me. Previously I had only played a few 2-player games.

Even with 4 players, one player who had heavy temple influence and some skull points crushed everyone else. I feel like the corn, technology, worker, building, and monument stuff cannot compete much except in optimal cases. The player got a monument that gave 20 points for having 2 level 3 technologies, but still ended up in 4th place.

I feel as though the large resource prices of the buildings and monuments contributes to this issue. If you try to pursue buildings, and/or monuments that give you points for buildings, you have to spend a lot of actions to build up the necessary resources AND spend those resources just to finally get the cards and earn a few points.

I love Tzolkin (and their Marco Polo game even more) but it isn't an easy game for me to figure out. I find that the buildings that get drawn have quite an effect on the game. I think you really need to specialize in a track early to get corn or the building track to do well against the skull strategy.

Here is a decent strategy thread from BGG:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1038126/guide-main-strategies-available-tzolk/page/1

Palmer_v1

Hi board game GAF

Basically

Halp pls c:

Resistance or avalon. Bang the dice game. Telestrations(12 player one just in case). Ill think of more later.

Edit: double post mafia style

daevv

Leaving Indy now. Had a blast at Gen Con for the second year in a row. Was more expensive this year but already looking forward to next. I bought and played a good amount of games ranging from just released to ten years old. Will post a pick up list after I get home to Canada and have it sorted. :)

Glad I bought Shadows of Brimstone since that's ACTUALLY a new Warhammer Quest. I'll see how it plays, but my expectations are low.
I'm sure you saw demos, so you pretty much know that it's a dice chucking fest. Decisions are few: move and loot, or move and attack. But our group loves it as a simple replacement for D&D with great theme.

If you're looking to run a campaign, find the fan made HexCrawl in the files section on BGG. It gives an overworld map to move around (with a lot of cool encounters) and some context to string together missions.

So just admitting to myself that I enjoy collecting board games as well as playing them makes me feel less bad about how much I buy. Add far as vices go, there are far worse things I could do.

Draxal

So just admitting to myself that I enjoy collecting board games as well as playing them makes me feel less bad about how much I buy. Add far as vices go, there are far worse things I could do.

You can always flip them later on, it's only a vice if you really don't have a place to store them properly.

Blizzard

Banned
I love Tzolkin (and their Marco Polo game even more) but it isn't an easy game for me to figure out. I find that the buildings that get drawn have quite an effect on the game. I think you really need to specialize in a track early to get corn or the building track to do well against the skull strategy.

Here is a decent strategy thread from BGG:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1038126/guide-main-strategies-available-tzolk/page/1
Very interesting strategy collection, thanks! I never thought of trying the big corn one but that sounds amusing.

JSR_Cube

I just got that too, sadly I am missing a small camel, but I have an extra big spice lol, cant wait to try it

You may not be missing a camel:

The Components list on page 2 of the rule book contains 2 small quantity errors. Instead of the
listed 21 small Camels and 3 large Pepper Sacks, the game actually includes 20 small Camels
and 4 large Pepper Sacks. The number of Goods and Camels available in the game are
unlimited, so this quantity change does not affect the game. (Unfortunately, there was a
communication error, and an older listing of the wooden parts quantities was used inadvertently.

Alright, here's my final haul in list form. I think this is everything. I'm going by memory here. I'll have pictures of my insanity later.

Stand-alone:
  • Mysterium
  • Champions of Midgard
  • Yashima
  • Fairytale Games
  • Dark Moon
  • Space Cadets Away Team
  • King's Armory
  • Superfight
  • Viceroy
  • Clockwork Wars
  • One Night Revolution
  • Coup: Rebellion G54
  • The Adorable Pandaring
  • One-Deck Dungeon
  • Co-Mix
  • On Her Majesty's Service
  • Blood Rage
  • Rattle, Battle, Grab the Loot
  • Tides of Time
  • Conquest of Speros
  • WWE Superstar Showdown
  • Mage Wars Academy
  • Mage Wars Domination (didn't think they were going to have this there, neither did they)
  • VS System 2PCG (they really couldn't come up with something better?)
  • Nevermore
  • Cthulhu Realms
  • Flip City
  • Vault Wars

Expansions for:
  • Tragedy Looper Expansion
  • Shadows of Malice Expansion

RPGs:
  • Feng Shui 2
  • Fantasy AGE
  • Titansgrave for Fantasy AGE

Things I missed out on:
  • Spyfall (Cryptozoic loves their scarcity model)
  • Codenames (heard about it too late)

Alright, here's my final haul in list form. I think this is everything. I'm going by memory here. I'll have pictures of my insanity later.

Stand-alone:
  • On Her Majesty's Service

Is this the steampunk game with a board made of gears and such? Mr. Fox is a character?

edit: maybe I'm thinking of world of smog?

Top Bottom