• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Had a six player Survive: Escape Atlantis game with all expansions. It was an absolute bloodbath. We had a newbie in our midst, and he somehow even managed to win.

Sharks, sea monsters, and giant squid all had full stomachs by the end of the game thanks to the vast amount of meeples in play. A dolphin managed to guide a lone swimmer to shore that ended up being the game deciding moment.

Our guest player caught on very quickly and immediately wanted to play again. He hadn't played a board game in years and Survive sucked him right in. It always does.

Ecto311

Any recommendations on the different versions of love letter. My wife and daughter watched table top and loved the game. Amazon had a few versions of the game and bbg has opinions all over about them. The munchkin version is out since the princesses were replaced by loot.

Ronabo

Anyone here get a chance to check out the Mega Man bg at GenCon?

I didn't have time to play a demo. It looks awesome.

Any recommendations on the different versions of love letter. My wife and daughter watched table top and loved the game. Amazon had a few versions of the game and bbg has opinions all over about them. The munchkin version is out since the princesses were replaced by loot.

My personal favorite is the Batman version. When you accurately guess another player's card, you get a token. So it rewards you for being right. Plus with that system in place, there is a strategic reason to discard the "8" (Joker) card.

You can potentially win 2 or more tokens in one round. You only need 7 to win the game.

I don't know how your wife and daughter feel about super heroes theme, but I find Batman to be best version of Love Letter.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Long post incoming.

My Gen Con haul:

• Ascension
  • Ascension Rise of Vigil
  • Ascension Realms Unraveled
  • Ascension Storm of Souls
  • Ascension Return of the Fallen
  • Ascension Immortal Heroes
  • Ascension: All currently available promo packs (also Locations) and "boosters" (not pictured)
  • Mage Knight (came right before Gen Con, but still)
  • Zombie Dice 2
  • Zombie Dice 3
  • Shadows of Brimstone City of the Ancients
  • Shadows of Brimstone Swamps of Death
  • Shadows of Brimstone Caverns of Cynder
  • Shadows of Brimstone - all 11 available enemy expansions
  • Shadows of Brimstone - all 6 available card expansions
  • Shadows of Brimstone Doorways into Darkness

It wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be to be honest. Shadows of Brimstone was a pretty pricey buy in, but with discounts and $5 off coupons here and there, I saved a good chunk of change at the end of it all (overall saved about $100 on everything after discounts and smooth talking the creator a little bit). Also had the art director and creator sign the covers of the 2 core sets and the expansion. That's pretty fun.

The town variant that will be coming out looks and sounds amazing. That's one thing that Warhammer Quest had that was absolutely hilarious (and infuriating). The addition of the town map + encounters from monsters spilling over into the town is great stuff. Which reminds me...I need to research the HexCrawl stuff. My only complaint with the game is that the models are not really well produced. They are of great quality in terms of the final product, but there are a LOT of gaps I need to fill since I'm going to be painting them all.

Onto Ascension...I played it when it first came out and enjoyed it, but didn't love it. It was probably because I played it with SUPER intense people who weren't very fun to play games with. After demoing the newest expansion, I was in love again. I find the game to be more enjoyable as a 1v1 or even a solo strategy card game with the solo variant (as opposed to 3-4 players). I also don't like mixing expansions as some turns can get INCREDIBLY complex.

The new Locations promo is amazing. My brother and I played the base game with just Locations mixed in, and it seriously changed the way the game played. We had 3 locations stacked at one point, and that was getting out of hand. My brother CRUSHED me that game because of his 8 constructs on the table. That alone may be my only complaint - if someone gets a good head start, it's nearly impossible to catch up. He was able to buy or defeat any of the big shit that turned over because of his construct combos and draw power. But that's how Ascension works!

I should state - I wouldn't have gone balls deep on Ascension if it weren't for the final hour 50% off EVERYTHING sale they did. They did the final raffle ticket prize of the day and dropped that bomb right after. I managed to get Storm of Souls at CSI ding and dent for cheaper, but the rest at half price was just amazing. Go big or go home I guess?

Overall I had a blast. Those who says Gen Con is getting too big or too out of hand are crazy. It's NOT that bad at ALL. I honestly never felt overwhelmed or uncomfortable. Sure, there were a lot of people in some booths, but there was ALWAYS walking and standing room. I can see people who don't like crowds getting overwhelmed because of personal discomfort, but those of us who don't suffer from anxiety like that? Amazing time.

I had 2 "run ins" with weird/anti-social/awkward gamers, but it ended up being fine in the end. You are almost guaranteed to run into the odd type while at a convention of this size. The fabled "gamer stench" wasn't as bad this year as it was a few years back when I went, either. There were a few times when I walked by a booth or two and got a whiff of death, but it really was only 4 or 5 times in the 3 days I was down there.

Oh and I DID demo Portal (but forgot to snap pics). The game seems OK, but the guy giving the demo did a TERRIBLE job explaining it and wasn't very good at interacting with people. He was awkward and stumbled over his words and thoughts a lot. He also kept getting sidetracked by people walking up and asking him questions. I know my friend will end up buying the game, so I'll give the game a second chance then.

8AXqUWGLb4NXI0ORHfZ2N78w3szDeRZQMsUtp0Ty7bub=w1695-h953-no

DFl2aHSZpsvluEuxSgIQOpGtAzso9uTkdrNE2X6JWNHz=w1695-h953-no

sMTaKenWnNGueHqzp11awz0NhDEFvCY1nA2W3ZnFSoij=w1695-h953-no

v0FJDzVWlHAilJ7J3DuB0QRjmOtdY64LzgMy37duI5HF=w1456-h907-no

And a few other random photos with comments:

8cYZok9AmhPTgNRiQoeE67AVRgkdvBg4oAJNR_Qe5iXH=w1695-h953-no

I think this is a world record largest balloon octopus?

mMYVQ7rrD2uick_jpUcHVZi8-b-3JWG4V1ExdF1GfAbY=w1695-h953-no

I just thought this shirt was funny. I found it charmingly dumb.

SmTJDpH1UUUx8ErGcNLwj5xkYudXLLPWNU60pnGKFoNR=w1695-h953-no

U4RkLZV3SoppxVzrMqZ98FvyWkS4zJ6F-OAA3ih2OafU=w1695-h953-no

This was pretty much magic in my mouth - glazed donut with a scoop of birthday cake ice cream in the middle. Only issue? I think I spilled enough glaze on the ground to feed a small ant army.

3Uri0bK_Hlf5hwaGuZpZ1nQc-aZxh6_qHh3iqYPtYPhE=w537-h953-no

If you know the show, this is pretty great.

Ttm6PxT6seswAZPnjiqU0_KJK8sXCc6FLOVOQNDkpcc4=w1695-h953-no

3TcWuWNhKND3SZcu_Aqqqq5U7mg_lPUPYMNTEffKV6Yh=w1695-h953-no

New Runebound 3rd ed stuff. Not gonna lie...I'm only a little excited after seeing it. They didn't bother to put a solo variant in (which sounds silly, but it's SUCH a big part of 2nd ed), the cards are the fucking "buy FFG sleeves" size, and it just didn't grab me from the demo I watched as much as I'd hoped. We'll see.

hvEHTWQBgKML7ZdBpOSDdPgejLOOWROQkP8AjzbOPP_q=w1695-h953-no

Deck building games are getting weird.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Why not just buy it online? Can save already almost over $60 alone on the two core sets and free shipping from CSI.

Yeah, because Gen Con is over and I can return all the stuff I bought. ;)

I got the expansion for free ($50 value), and paid $90 for each core set. On top of that, I got all the card expansions for $23, and saved $50 buying all the new monsters. It wasn't cheap, but it worked out.

Blizzard

Banned
I just picked up Dungeon Roll on impulse. It's simple and cute but fun enough even solo. I like that achievements are even included so you can go for some optional goals.

What REALLY impressed me was that the game has apparently been around 2+ years, yet I still got a boardgamegeek rules forum reply, from a designer, in about 10 minutes on a Monday morning.

daevv

Picture of my pickups from Gen Con. Only problem is my suitcase was lost by West Jet after I went through Canadian customs in the Toronto airport. I'm missing Tides of Time, Adventure Time Love Letter, Treasures and Traps, my Star Realms collection, the smaller X Wing ship plus sleeves, and the Gen Con dice set. I also put all my promos, new dice, 10 packs of D&D Dice Masters, and the smaller Imperial Settlers expansion in the Risk box. The Risk game and Treasures and Traps were bought cheap in the auction store but still sucks. Everything else pictured was in my back pack and carry on.

Everyone was passing over Lord of The Rings Risk because the description said the metal One Ring was missing. When I was sorting it in the hotel room, making room for promos and such, I found it mixed in with the small figures!

zulux21

Picture of my pickups from Gen Con. Only problem is my suitcase was lost by West Jet after I went through Canadian customs in the Toronto airport. I'm missing Tides of Time, Adventure Time Love Letter, Treasures and Traps, my Star Realms collection, the smaller X Wing ship plus sleeves, and the Gen Con dice set. I also put all my promos, new dice, 10 packs of D&D Dice Masters, and the smaller Imperial Settlers expansion in the Risk box. The Risk game and Treasures and Traps were bought cheap in the auction store but still sucks. Everything else pictured was in my back pack and carry on.

Everyone was passing over Lord of The Rings Risk because the description said the metal One Ring was missing. When I was sorting it in the hotel room, making room for promos and such, I found it mixed in with the small figures!

I did not know there was an adventure time love letter.
I am tempted.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just picked up Dungeon Roll on impulse. It's simple and cute but fun enough even solo. I like that achievements are even included so you can go for some optional goals.

What REALLY impressed me was that the game has apparently been around 2+ years, yet I still got a boardgamegeek rules forum reply, from a designer, in about 10 minutes on a Monday morning.

This looks really cool. I may have to purchase this. Gonna hit up YouTube for a quick video on it.

zulux21

This looks really cool. I may have to purchase this. Gonna hit up YouTube for a quick video on it.

dungeon roll is decently enjoyable, I backed the original kickstarter.

it's easy enough to pick up, but enjoyable to play, plus it's a small case so you can bring it with you at a con and play it while in a line... though I have found that security tends to get annoyed with you as you tend to draw a crowd :p

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I wish FFG had more support for Mansions of Madness. Would be cool if they made a variant to play without a DM.

Imagine it is full steam ahead with Eldritch expansions for the next while.

Hoodbury

First time seeing this thread. Looking for recommendations for 2 player board games for the wife and I. The only other board game we've really played is Pandemic and we really like it.

I wrote down Forbidden Island as an option, any others? Not looking for trivia games.

Thanks

First time seeing this thread. Looking for recommendations for 2 player board games for the wife and I. The only other board game we've really played is Pandemic and we really like it.

I wrote down Forbidden Island as an option, any others? Not looking for trivia games.

Thanks

Depends on what you are looking for. Forbidden dessert and island are really similar to pandemic, no point in owning both.

Take a look at ticket to ride (ideally nordic countries for 2), jaipur and biblios.

Xater

Xater's ultimate list of games for two players:

Jaipur
Hive
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Ingenius
Patchwork
Le Havre: The Inland Port
Lost Cities
Targi

Great with two but also play with more:

Carcassonne
Letters from Whitechapel
Splendor
Castles of Burgundy
Five Tribes

Hoodbury

Depends on what you are looking for. Forbidden dessert and island are really similar to pandemic, no point in owning both.

Take a look at ticket to ride (ideally nordic countries for 2), jaipur and biblios.

Jaipur
Hive
Ingenius
Patchwork
Lost Cities
Targi

Carcassonne
Letters from Whitechapel
Splendor
Castles of Burgundy
Five Tribes

cool thanks, I'll take a look at those.

Hopefully this doesn't sound dumb but are there any card games like Gwent from the Witcher 3?

Lyng

Thanks

Games that are favourites for me and my wife:

Theseus: The Dark Orbit
Splendor
Five Tribes
At the Gates of Loyang
Le Havre
Nations
Seasons
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective
Aquasphere
Trajan

Thanks

NKyrbmI.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Did anyone get a chance to try 3e Runebound with the disk combat?

I watched it. It's...Different. I'm not sure I like it, but I love dice combat.

Also, placed an order with CSI for Mage Knight expansion, the latest Ascension expansion, Patchwork, Forbidden Island, Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, and Dungeon Roll. Lots of games to play with my wife (and a few goodies for me). I'm excited for her to try Ticket to Ride and Pandemic since those are pretty classic "easy to play" (hard to master) games.

Blizzard

Banned
If you end up liking it, there are also two small booster packs of 8 heroes each (I noticed them on Amazon). I don't think you're supposed to mix any of the 8-hero sets though since some are much more powerful than others. You would just choose which one you want to play with.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1938146875/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1938146824/?tag=neogaf0e-20

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Jaipur
Hive
Ingenius
Patchwork
Lost Cities
Targi

Carcassonne
Letters from Whitechapel
Splendor
Castles of Burgundy
Five Tribes

2 player suggestions need more Innovation. Sooooo good

An ultimate 2 player game list without Twilight Struggle? :(

Though that may be too heavy for what he's looking for.

Speaking of, sounds like the Twilight Struggle Collectors Edition may ship out in early Sept for those who backed the Kickstarter. :D

So hyped.

Got my Marvel Legendary in today but I am missing all of my SHIELD trooper cards. I emailed Upper Decks customer service in but I guess I am going to have to proxy them until I get them in. Kinda pissed but I guess it's not too bad since that's all I was missing.

Xater

An ultimate 2 player game list without Twilight Struggle? :(

Though that may be too heavy for what he's looking for.

Speaking of, sounds like the Twilight Struggle Collectors Edition may ship out in early Sept for those who backed the Kickstarter. :D

So hyped.

I'm not going to suggest Twilight Struggle to someone new that liked Pandemic. Also never played it and it doesn't look like something I would enjoy.

Lyng

I'm not going to suggest Twilight Struggle to someone new that liked Pandemic. Also never played it and it doesn't look like something I would enjoy.

Its a pretty fantastic game but yeah its a huge step up from Pandemic, it also takes up to 7 hours to play. My wife actually enjoys TS but it rarely hits the table due to the gametime, which is also why it wasnt on my list.

zulux21

I am going to have to disagree here, while forbidden island is very close to pandemic, it's a great intro to pandemic and thus worth owning to play with someone to get them into pandemic before they play pandemic, now if you aren't playing pandemic with someone else it's not really worth owning.

on the other hand forbidden desert changes enough things that it feels like its own game and I can easily recommend to own that with pandemic as the changes to mechanics like the morphing board and worrying about water make it a quite different experiance.

Here's the "nicely staged/display" image of my haul:

Here is an image of the back, it was $20:

thanks for posting this, I must have that :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Its a pretty fantastic game but yeah its a huge step up from Pandemic, it also takes up to 7 hours to play. My wife actually enjoys TS but it rarely hits the table due to the gametime, which is also why it wasnt on my list.

When the digital version comes out, that should make general play of TS a lot easier since it'll support async play and you can play a game over the course of a few days.

Phthisis

wat

The longest game of TS I ever played (which was the first learning game) was 4 hours. Every single time since then it's come in at 2-3 hours.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Really great co-op pulp sci-fi. I didn't get to do a full demo, but really enjoyed the aesthetic and gameplay I did get to play with.

I'll have to check out some videos on YouTube. I'll probably keep my eyes peeled for it when it becomes available, but I may also preorder it from CSI with the Mage Knight expansion.

Speaking of Mage Knight...

Are there any other games that can be played solo that are like Mage Knight in terms of depth but that have the relaxed pace and epic feel of something like Civ on PC?

Palmer_v1

I'm astounded by the size of the Dark Moon box. Wasn't that supposed to be a "light", "express" version of BSG?

I think it's just because of the size of the board in the center that you track everything on. Otherwise it could have fit in a box the size of Splendor. I actually wish the player screens were larger though. Too easy to accidentally roll a dice where it ends up visible to the players on your left and right.

Fun game though. For hidden role style games, I also played New Salem and Good Cop Bad Cop(with expansion) for the first time.

I think I liked Dark Moon the most, but Good Cop Bad Cop will get more table time because it plays much faster. New Salem I just didn't really like. Partly because it's got card drafting, and partly because only one player ever wins, which leads to a similar problem as Dead of Winter. Why help your "team" if it's clear you're not going to be able to win yourself?

I can give more in-depth explanations of how any of these actually play if anyone wants. Just let me know.

Chorazin

Late to the party, but here's my game haul from Gen Con! Metal Adventures was $20 at CSI Scratch and Ding, for that price its worth it. Had to order Ashes from Plaid Hat directly since I wavered on it until the last day and they had sold out by then. But free shipping and the Con price + promos makes it just fine.

Bought some Broken Token organizers and shirts, but haven't taken a pic of that stuff yet.

espher

I've drifted away from playing with my usual group and have been playing with a different group of players lately who are new to the genre, in aggregate. In my experience over the past two months, there is a strong preference towards things with a light level of complexity but a fair bit of depth, and are fine with 'multiplayer solitaire'-type games involving engine building.

Outside of the larger more 'social' games for when we have a big turnout, the three games that have resonated the most with this group are Star Realms, Roll for the Galaxy (Race not so much), and Ascension. The 'smaller turnout' group has a typical size of 3-5, but has a couple of people very prone to AP and that sometimes really drags games out.

Are there are other suggestions for games along those lines that may be good to pick up and/or introduce to them? At their request we've tried a couple of games of Magic: the Gathering (I have a boatload of preconstructed decks), which they liked overall but struggled with mechanically at times (it also doesn't help that as a seasoned vet I had trouble explaining the game to complete novices). They've also enjoyed the few cooperative or pseudo-cooperative games we've played (SMERSH, Betrayal, Pandemic), though Legendary fell quite flat despite my expectations otherwise based on the other 'likes' (the general feel seemed to be that you the game ended too quickly).

joelseph

Game of the show for me was SRG Super Show. A wrestling card game born from WWE RAW Deal fans. I was not apart of the Kickstarter and regret only finding their table in Hall B on Sunday. If I had found it sooner I would have been there all weekend.

Another great moment I had was in Hall B when I got to demo an entire game of WWE Superstar Showdown with the designer Sean from Gale Force Nine. Having him there to teach and hype the game elevated what seemed like an overly paper-rock-scissors experience into a fun and enjoyable time.

I was worried about getting a copy of Imperial Settlers: Atlanteans so I headed to the Portal/CGE booth first thing Thursday morning. I was rewarded with a signed copy from Ignacy and a picture with both Ignacy and Antoine Bauza. I also scooped up a copy of Tides of Time which is an insanely deep and compelling 2 person drafting game with only 18 cards.

Tasty Minstrel continues to impress me, especially in the art department. C'thulu Realms was a no brainer along with Flip City which is a breath of fresh air in the deckbuilding genre. Both were 20 dollar small box offerings that are my wheel house.

My second favorite game of the Con had to be Hostage Negotiation. It's a small box solitaire game that has you managing cards and rolling dice to try and stop intense hostage situations ripped from the movies. Look forward to giving this one lots more attention.

One halfway let down was the Asmadi game room experience. Chris and crew seemed pretty distracted. Mottainai is a hard sell for my group and I was looking forward to playing a bunch at the Con. Sadly with the state of the room I played zero. Still looking forward to my copy.

Flick Em Up was my most fun game that I did not buy. Was able to spend a good amount of time with a friends copy and it plays great. When you snipe a cowboy from across the table on your first shot it feels awesome. Fans of crokinole should take a look past the steep pricetag.

Only big booth line I tolerated this year was Upper Deck on Saturday for Secret Wars. I guess I am a total sucker for theme. Wish I would have taken the time to demo Predator, but boy their booth was always poppin'.

Skipped FFG completely. Heard they had a sweat Netrunner pack release?

Favorite event is always the LEGO Mindstorm Roborally. Played Hammer Bot and had a blast. Highly recommend this event, it's worth your time and money!

Sorry to everyone I ghosted out on. I have reached critical mass of obligations and this year it took it's toll. Ended up hiding out in the JW Griffin room for off hours. Drinking booze and playing Spyfall, Ultimate Werewolf and Dark Moon. My crew is a bunch of drunks that love to deceive!

One more year until Gencon 2016

Top Bottom