• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

JSR_Cube

Found out about a game hitting Kickstarter next week called Scythe. It has mechs and cool ladies so I'm interested.

Also speaking of Kickstarter, the creator of Ragnaroll is looking for feedback on Reddit since it isn't doing too well. I'd consider backing it for the cool ladies alone but a bit too pricey for something that doesn't support two players.

Scythe came up a couple of pages ago but, yes, it looks awesome!

I must have missed Ragnaroll. I will check it out.

EDIT: price definitely seems steep for a dice game.

Neverfade

What do people think of Innovation? That is apparently finally coming out in German and I am still interested in it.

Its fucking amazing. Pure controlled chaos. Your first few games might seem like random bullshit but learning the decks makes all the difference in the world. Wild, crazy swings. Finding the powerful combos. Breaking someone's powerful combos. So good.

If you like Glory to Rome at all, definitely get it. Its way better.

Lyng

Its fucking amazing. Pure controlled chaos. Your first few games might seem like random bullshit but learning the decks makes all the difference in the world. Wild, crazy swings. Finding the powerful combos. Breaking someone's powerful combos. So good.

This mean speaks the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!!!

Also yes Scythe is instabacked

Blizzard

Banned

I looked at it, but I feel like if I wanted a crazy game that could go any way, I might as well almost play Fluxx. ;p

I know, Innovation probably has a lot more strategy, but it does sound like it can have huge random swings.

Lyng

I looked at it, but I feel like if I wanted a crazy game that could go any way, I might as well almost play Fluxx. ;p

I know, Innovation probably has a lot more strategy, but it does sound like it can have huge random swings.

Innovation is highly tactical and the best player will allways win.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
So what's the word on Arcadia Quest? Was recommended to me the other day by a LGS manager. How does it come to Super dungeon explore? Although I personally liked SDE, teaching new people to play took a while. From what I see AQ seems quicker to learn and more streamlined so newcomers can join easily and have fun. Worth 70$? At my store its 100$ although I like saving 30$ I do like to support my LGS too.

It actually was 7th on Tom Vassels top 100 which says a lot to me.

AMUSIX

So, need a game recommendation or two...but there's a bit of a twist.

In two weeks, I get to play coordinator for my nephew's gaming weekend. He's 11, is having a bunch of friends over, and wants to play a lot of games. While he's pretty good at grasping games, I don't want to throw too much strategy into the mix. Also, I'm not sure how adept his friends will be at gaming, so I'm going to need to find things easy to teach.
I figure I'll have several games going at once, in groups of 3-5. Just not sure what games to bring.

A few games that I know he plays now:
King of Tokyo
Jamaica
Smash Up
Mice & Mystics
Betrayal at the House on the Hill
One Night Werewolf

So, I'm a bit stuck. A few ideas I had (and the reasons they probably won't work):

Roborally - the rules are straight forward enough, but there might be too many little steps per turn to keep straight
Sentinels of the Multiverse - this one could easily set up 2 or 3 different groups playing against different villains...problem is that it's a bit fiddly, and card text need to be adhered to very tightly...
7 Wonders - great to handle a bigger group, but is there too much reliance on strategic thought here? He does play Sushi Go well enough....
Formula D - I'm thinking no on this one. Rules are simple, but downtime might be too long for kids who have shorter attention spans

I've ordered Dead Men Tell No Tales for my own collection, but have no idea how it plays (I just like pirates). Would that be an option? Any game with a strong theme would be welcome.

Some of the go-to games for my own group might not work, like Coup, which rely on deception, that these kids might not have the skills for.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

In two weeks, I get to play coordinator for my nephew's gaming weekend. He's 11, is having a bunch of friends over, and wants to play a lot of games. While he's pretty good at grasping games, I don't want to throw too much strategy into the mix. Also, I'm not sure how adept his friends will be at gaming, so I'm going to need to find things easy to teach.
I figure I'll have several games going at once, in groups of 3-5. Just not sure what games to bring.

King of Tokyo
Jamaica
Smash Up
Mice & Mystics
One Night Werewolf

So, I'm a bit stuck. A few ideas I had (and the reasons they probably won't work):

Roborally - the rules are straight forward enough, but there might be too many little steps per turn to keep straight
Sentinels of the Multiverse - this one could easily set up 2 or 3 different groups playing against different villains...problem is that it's a bit fiddly, and card text need to be adhered to very tightly...
7 Wonders - great to handle a bigger group, but is there too much reliance on strategic thought here? He does play Sushi Go well enough....
Formula D - I'm thinking no on this one. Rules are simple, but downtime might be too long for kids who have shorter attention spans

I've ordered Dead Men Tell No Tales for my own collection, but have no idea how it plays (I just like pirates). Would that be an option? Any game with a strong theme would be welcome.

Some of the go-to games for my own group might not work, like Coup, which rely on deception, that these kids might not have the skills for.

Just a couple of suggestions: Legendary, Munchkin, Dungeon Lords, D&D Castle Ravenloft, Arkham Horror, Smallworld.

Xater

Ok that's enough recommendations now. It's on my "to buy" list.

AMUSIX

Just a couple of suggestions: Legendary, Munchkin, Dungeon Lords, D&D Castle Ravenloft, Arkham Horror, Smallworld.

Those two for a one-time teaching? I love Arkham Horror, but it's the game I pull out once every six months, and only for the most hard core table top group....

Small World's a good thought...

I personally would suggest big party games that can play everyone rather than split the tables up, but then you're limited to the types of games you can play

Resistance/Werewolf
Telestrations
Jackbox Party Pack if you are able (Fibbage, Drawful)
Cranium or some team based shit, whatever

If you're going with the smaller groups of 3-5 like you said (also considering age is around 11) I would add:

Coup
Guillotine
Dixit
Citadels

These are pretty easy, although I don't have experience with that age group.

Two games that might work, but would work better with adults because of general knowledge:
- Pictomania: A strategic Pictionary where your drawing and guessing skills are tested at the same time
- Wits and Wagers: a numerical trivia game where players guesses are handled Price is Right style. And, you can team up people too

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The Others: 7 Sins has some really fantastic minis and sounds like a neat game. However, the fact that it requires a "dungeon master" to control the baddies means I don't think I can justify the cost. My wife will never play it, and my other gaming friend is sort of hit or miss in terms of when he is available to play longer games.

King of Tokyo
Jamaica
Smash Up
Mice & Mystics
One Night Werewolf

Seven wonders is a good choice. Bang the dice game would be another that I'd recommend for that age group. Dead of winter would probably work if you act as moderator/helper. Dice chucking games are always good for that age group.

MjFrancis

The Others: 7 Sins has some really fantastic minis and sounds like a neat game. However, the fact that it requires a "dungeon master" to control the baddies means I don't think I can justify the cost. My wife will never play it, and my other gaming friend is sort of hit or miss in terms of when he is available to play longer games.
I was on the fence with this one too for similar reasons, but caved at the last minute. This and Zombicide: Black Plague are my first games I've backed via Kickstarter. Hopefully they turn out well enough.

I was looking into BGG.Con, since I live in Texas, but it seems like it is too late to register? Not even sure what the convention entails, such a clusterfuck to find information. Have a dedicated website, please for goodness sake. Also it would be $120? Fuck that shit.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I was looking into BGG.Con, since I live in Texas, but it seems like it is too late to register? Not even sure what the convention entails, such a clusterfuck to find information. Have a dedicated website, please for goodness sake. Also it would be $120? Fuck that shit.

Isn't that the price for all 5 days? That's around the pricing you usually see for cons in terms of daily average. Gen Con I believe was around $90 for 4 days if you didn't pre-reg.

mercviper

Registrations open pretty early in the year, like around May. It's $120 for five days at a hotel in the DFW airport. Wouldn't be surprised if it's sold out by now since its been picking up traction. Also when I tried to get a room in the convention's hotel it was fully booked by day 2 of the announcement, so I decided not to go this year.

Isn't that the price for all 5 days? That's around the pricing you usually see for cons in terms of daily average. Gen Con I believe was around $90 for 4 days if you didn't pre-reg.
I guess that's not too bad but it doesn't seem like you can do individual days. I have limited experience with cons, so I'm not that familiar with pricing conventions.

Dryk

Does anyone know when that shiny new edition of No Thanks! is coming out? It's on my list of filler to get but I figure I can convince people to play it more if I have the shiny new version instead of the old version that while charming does look like it fell out of the 80s.

I love Small World but is a game where you have to shift that many pieces around going to be manageable for a tween's party?

Speaking of, went to a game night last night. Racked up yet another loss on my copy of Small World due to poor decisions but had fun talking strategy with my friends on basically everyone's turn.

Then we played FITS for a bit. It was fun for a while but I'm not very good at it and it's multiplayer solitaire in the truest sense. One of my friends and I got equal score on the last round because we ended up with similar builds completely independently though so that was fun.

Reminds me that I really need to dig up my copy of Blokus Trigon and put it on the shelf with the rest of my games.

Nudull

Banned
Now that I'm starting to get work again for the holidays, I can start looking into picking up a few board and card games to try for myself. I'd like to check out some D&D games as well, Temple of Elemental Evil in particular. Femmeworth's impressions and the mentioning of diverse characters (cool ladies and non-binary folk are the key to my heart) has me very interested.

I've been on a huge fantasy kick lately, so the more recommendations, the better. :)

Found out about a game hitting Kickstarter next week called Scythe. It has mechs and cool ladies so I'm interested.

Also speaking of Kickstarter, the creator of Ragnaroll is looking for feedback on Reddit since it isn't doing too well. I'd consider backing it for the cool ladies alone but a bit too pricey for something that doesn't support two players.

Huh. Just when I was starting to get interested in mechs again. Scythe sounds neat. :)

Never really played a dice game before, but Rangaroll seems interesting as well. Pricey, though.

Now that I'm starting to get work again for the holidays, I can start looking into picking up a few board and card games to try for myself. I'd like to check out some D&D games as well, Temple of Elemental Evil in particular. Femmeworth's impressions and the mentioning of diverse characters (cool ladies and non-binary folk are the key to my heart) has me very interested.

I've been on a huge fantasy kick lately, so the more recommendations, the better. :)
Did you see all of my posts? >_> It's not an easy game. Not sure if I'd recommend it, especially if you are going to play solo. Unless you control two or three heroes.

I hear The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is good for playing solo. Though that might be sparse in terms of ladies, given the IP.

Nudull

Banned
Did you see all of my posts? >_> It's not an easy game. Not sure if I'd recommend it, especially if you are going to play solo.

I hear The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is good for playing solo.

I'm starting to see other people to play with, and I'm used to D&D anyway, so I figured I'd have some fun with it if I can get a group together.

Got Eldritch Horror in the mail yesterday, man that's a load of cool components. This and Ghost Stories which I also got recently should have me covered for the next weekends of Halloween boardgaming.

I feel like I'm actually veering more towards ameritrash to just have fun with, while my collection is mostly euro at the moment.

fenners

Registrations open pretty early in the year, like around May. It's $120 for five days at a hotel in the DFW airport. Wouldn't be surprised if it's sold out by now since its been picking up traction. Also when I tried to get a room in the convention's hotel it was fully booked by day 2 of the announcement, so I decided not to go this year.

Registration opened in March (around the same time as always) & it sold out in a couple of months. There's about ~900 people on the waiting list for tickets.

The hotel was the bottleneck this year as you noticed - they 'kindly' announced registration was opening a couple of days in advance, so people jumped on the hotel ahead of time & it sold out ridiculously quickly.

And yeah, $120 for Wed through Sunday of gaming. It's a fair price I think.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Does anyone know when that shiny new edition of No Thanks! is coming out? It's on my list of filler to get but I figure I can convince people to play it more if I have the shiny new version instead of the old version that while charming does look like it fell out of the 80s.

I love Small World but is a game where you have to shift that many pieces around going to be manageable for a tween's party?

Speaking of, went to a game night last night. Racked up yet another loss on my copy of Small World due to poor decisions but had fun talking strategy with my friends on basically everyone's turn.

Then we played FITS for a bit. It was fun for a while but I'm not very good at it and it's multiplayer solitaire in the truest sense. One of my friends and I got equal score on the last round because we ended up with similar builds completely independently though so that was fun.

Reminds me that I really need to dig up my copy of Blokus Trigon and put it on the shelf with the rest of my games.

Well, SmallWorld is a game where you can harass each other on end, so in that regard, it's a great game for tweens.

Zaptruder

Banned
So my Kingdom Death Monster just arrived.

Unfortunately my group doesn't have the time to devote to this like we did back when originally backed. The sales on eBay are reallllllly tempting to ditch it, but has anyone gotten good play time? I'm kind of really curious before I bother trying to get the group to go on it. It looks a touch TOO in depth.

Dem minis tho

Yeah, as my group and I get older and have more responsibilities, this sort of thing is getting harder and harder to field. We can rock a Battletech game since we know the rules but learning an entirely new campaign system is a bit out of reach.

First time I've legit felt bad about reselling because the box is so god. damn. gorgeous though. I mean, holy shit, these production values are *nuts*.

You'll probably regret selling it once reviews for it start coming out.

I'm writing one right now... here's my opening paragraph:

Kingdom Death: Monster is before anything else, an engine for stories and emotions in the form of a highly intricate and detailed miniatures board game. Players will suffer through its cruel torments and delight in extraordinary triumph as they proceed in a Sisyphean endeavour through its many session campaigns.

Regarding the game itself... it's pretty easy in terms of the mechanics. The game launches right off the bat with a tutorial that is still deadly, fun and challenging - victory isn't guaranteed. But what it does teach you is that the core mechanics can be learnt easily enough.

Roll dice to hit, roll dice to wound, draw hit locations to see where you've hit and what happens when you hit it... then discard the monster's AI/wound stack as appropriate. Rinse and repeat.

Any variability that arises comes with instructions specific to the cards in play, and the actions that the player takes.

Outside of the first fight, the game is divided into fairly reasonable sessions of time/game phases. You get the showdown itself, the settlement phase where you take the spoils of the showdown and turn them into tech and location developments, which let you build better weapons, tools and armor to kill more and bigger monsters with. Then there's the hunt phase, which is basically a glorified choose your own adventure designed to put your survivors into a precarious position before the actual fight itself even starts.

Each session will run you 2-3 hours the first time you fight a monster, and 1-2 hours with reducing time as you get used to the specifics of the monsters and their special rules.

You can break at any point after each section (hunt/showdown/settlement) - the game makes it easy to store away the cards currently in play, seperately from the rest of the cards in the game, allowing you to essentially 'save' progress.

On first blush, its intimidating due to the number of game components... but it's all very well put together and organized, helping to significantly reduce the complexity of it all. Don't get me wrong - it's not a shallow system - you're not going to get the rules right from the get go, and you'll end up doing things that weren't intended. But as you figure it out, the true flavour of the game comes out.

The game is also difficult, at least in the sense that victory is very far from assured, and that it's a coop game, so it's either you all win, or you all lose. This is important in keeping up a sense of dread in the game, as well as the collorary, the sense of achievement and gratitude upon beating the monsters - even when it's one you've fought many times before.

As you progress through the campaign, fighting an ever stronger array of nightmarish creatures, human-like and animal-like, growing your settlement, witnessing astonishing victories and experiencing devastating losses - frequently through cruel fate - you come to understand that...

It's less of a game, and more a portal to stories and emotions that you didn't think you could feel again.

It's sure to be a cult-classic... and if it ever goes out of print, the prices will skyrocket too. The boardgaming/minigaming world simply hasn't seen something like this before. Not at this level of scale and ambition, nor care for detail, nor depth of depravity. It's a superlative, and beautifully cohesive experience, well worth the wait.

TL:DR - Dark Souls X Monster Hunter X Best production quality mashed into a coop board game. Engine for stories and emotions. You'll come to love Death.

Karkador

Banned
I don't know, man, but my first impression of "a board game that tries to imitate videogames" is that they should have just made a videogame. This type of thing:

Roll dice to hit, roll dice to wound, draw hit locations to see where you've hit and what happens when you hit it... then discard the monster's AI/wound stack as appropriate. Rinse and repeat.

Is the kind of tedium that videogames process instantly, to the point where it becomes invisible. On a table, it sounds like a fiddly slog (and that's merely one part of the game).

I don't know, man, but my first impression of "a board game that tries to imitate videogames" is that they should have just made a videogame. This type of thing:

Is the kind of tedium that videogames process instantly, to the point where it becomes invisible. On a table, it sounds like a fiddly slog (and that's merely one part of the game).

Agreed, dice rolling should be exciting. If you are rolling for everything, it becomes tedium.

Zaptruder

Banned

Fair point - but in practice, it happens pretty fast, and there is some drama and game play to how it plays out - you make choices on how the reactions play out.

The devil is largely in the details - and the details here are executed well.

Moreover, in video games, the reactions are rarely as interesting or dynamic as what is possible in KD:M.

Having played other complex game systems which were better suited for video games (Battle Tech, Warhammer 40k, D&D, etc)... and this one really does compare quite well in terms of flow relative to the scale of the encounter.

It might be a more relevant criticism if you weren't facing off against boss monsters... but because you are, and that's all you do in terms of encounters, then the mechanics are both reasonable and fit in with the rest of the intent and design of the encounters very well.

Keasar

Aaaw yes.

My Kickstarter package for War of Indines and Fate of Indines has arrived. So much stuff to go through, get sleeved and whatnot. Great to have a more travel sized box that should be easier to take along.

In regards to Kingdom Death, I do have a question about how the rest of the game (settlement, hunt phase) plays out. Are you just filling out sheets and putting together minis? Is there much strategy during that part? It seems like it could be interesting but so little has been shown about it that I have no clue how it actually works.

That's the impression I got from the Gencon videos. It doesn't look all that exciting. I also got the impression that a good die roll could be screwed by a bad card draw.

I'm starting to see other people to play with, and I'm used to D&D anyway, so I figured I'd have some fun with it if I can get a group together.
Ah, that's good.
Got Eldritch Horror in the mail yesterday, man that's a load of cool components. This and Ghost Stories which I also got recently should have me covered for the next weekends of Halloween boardgaming.

I feel like I'm actually veering more towards ameritrash to just have fun with, while my collection is mostly euro at the moment.
I kind of want to get Eldritch Horror for Halloween. I plan to get it down the road regardless.

Dreavus

Aaaw yes.

My Kickstarter package for War of Indines and Fate of Indines has arrived. So much stuff to go through, get sleeved and whatnot. Great to have a more travel sized box that should be easier to take along.

Good luck sir! It took me nearly the entire weekend last week to get that monster organized. I opted to put every non-promo fighter in Devastation's box and the rest of the game spread out among the other two boxes.

I thought about a travel box but I would have ended up with lots of extra stuff with no where to put it.

Also the game is so huge now that I don't think I need another board game for 10 lifetimes, lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think I'm going to start a fresh Shadows of Brimstone campaign for Halloween. The horror theme is strong with it, so it feels fitting.

Hey guys! A few friends and I are getting in the Star Wars mood.

Is Edge of Empire any good? Also and I hate to ask this question and don't even know if its allowed but are there any PDFs online?

Zaptruder

Banned
In regards to Kingdom Death, I do have a question about how the rest of the game (settlement, hunt phase) plays out. Are you just filling out sheets and putting together minis? Is there much strategy during that part? It seems like it could be interesting but so little has been shown about it that I have no clue how it actually works.

That's the impression I got from the Gencon videos. It doesn't look all that exciting. I also got the impression that a good die roll could be screwed by a bad card draw.

The settlement phase has a few subsections - a random settlement event that changes up the kinds of things that happen to your settlement and survivors. Some good, some bad. Sometimes you get choices.

It also frequently gets a story event that plays out seperately allowing you to make critical choices to your campaign. Also fight the nemesis monsters (super tough scary bastards that invade your settlement) appear around this time on occasion.

Then you go into the meat of the settlement where you make the choices about what to do with the limited resources you've collected - what kind of weapons, armor and tools you want to build. Or what kind of improvements to the settlement or innovations you want to make. This can vary significantly based on both your strategy and luck and significantly affects how the showdown phase plays out.

After that you go into the hunt phase - which is largely a roll a d100 on a table and see what happens kind of deal. It's the weakest phase by far... but still adds to the gameplay by changing up the way the game and conditions feel before you get to the fight itself. Sometimes you lose survivors here, sometimes you gain stuff.

After that, you go into the showdown phase.

It's worth noting that, you shouldn't ever find yourself been attached to specific survivors - the settlement and the gear is the source of your strength as a player. Survivors are largely there to flavour each experience between getting a new survivor and killing them horribly somewhere along the line. There are alternate rules in the back of the book that flip this mindset though (such as the one I'm using called Twilight Knight in training - where you start with a stronger hero character, but if you lose them, it's game over).

Anyway... I can't say that the game is for everyone - but those that it's for will get it - and enjoy the hell out of it. Everyone else... give it a shot if you ever get a chance to play it, you might find an unexpectedly awesome type of game you never knew you wanted to play.

Anyway... I can't say that the game is for everyone - but those that it's for will get it - and enjoy the hell out of it. Everyone else... give it a shot if you ever get a chance to play it, you might find an unexpectedly awesome type of game you never knew you wanted to play.

Have you tried the single player rule set or only played in groups?

Zaptruder

Banned
Have you tried the single player rule set or only played in groups?

Tried both solo and group play.

Game actually moves faster in solo once you're settled - less explaining to do, and less getting others to agree on a strategy.

But it's more fun to share in the highs and lows with others, as well as sharing in the decision making process.

If you only have limited time and can get people together on a regular basis, group play is the way to go.

Otherwise solo can help you see and explore the content faster - which can then be used to help guide your buddies through the experience a bit better.

Top Bottom