• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Tried both solo and group play.

Game actually moves faster in solo once you're settled - less explaining to do, and less getting others to agree on a strategy.

But it's more fun to share in the highs and lows with others, as well as sharing in the decision making process.

If you only have limited time and can get people together on a regular basis, group play is the way to go.

Otherwise solo can help you see and explore the content faster - which can then be used to help guide your buddies through the experience a bit better.
Thanks for the info and overview of the game , now I feel like I need this in my life.

I kind of want to get Eldritch Horror for Halloween. I plan to get it down the road regardless.

I think you'll like the female characters!

Eldritch-Horror-Game-Board3.jpg

I'm stressed because I want to get it to the table next Saturday but I have to learn it first...

Keasar

Good luck sir! It took me nearly the entire weekend last week to get that monster organized. I opted to put every non-promo fighter in Devastation's box and the rest of the game spread out among the other two boxes.

I thought about a travel box but I would have ended up with lots of extra stuff with no where to put it.

Also the game is so huge now that I don't think I need another board game for 10 lifetimes, lol.

BattleCON is one of the most worthwhile packages in terms of value considering how much content you get. :p

I hope Level99 games soon announces their BattleCON Big Box that is supposed to be able to store everything. They mentioned it in their latest update and I am definitely going for it.
We’ve got some really cool plans coming up down the road for BattleCON, and we haven’t forgotten about getting you that big storage box at some point–wait until you see Pixel Tactics Deluxe, as we’ll be using that as a prototype, and it’s pretty spiffy!

Keasar

I can't wait for my pixel tactics kickstarter to finally come in.

Went for a late backer package of Pixel Tactics Deluxe after reading some impressions of the game before they would close down their pledge site for it. If I like it I'll get the rest of Pixel Tactics definitely.

Mostly I'm excited about Millennium Blades which sounds so wonderfully weird and silly yet incredibly fun.

Zaptruder

Banned
Thanks for the info and overview of the game , now I feel like I need this in my life.

No worries. It's a pricey game though at this point, so I wouldn't pull the trigger without first finding someone else with a copy to experience it...

Unless you already know that this is the kind of thing you'd enjoy!

There's some vids on youtube that show how the game system works in more detail.

I'm stressed because I want to get it to the table next Saturday but I have to learn it first...

It's not really difficult after a few games. Watch YouTube video and do couple of solo games and you should have it down. You really just doing actions of move or buy things and then have an encounter. Just remember to have everyone do actions and then do encounter as separate phase. I actually play all female team when I play this game with my daughter.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Hey guys! A few friends and I are getting in the Star Wars mood.

Is Edge of Empire any good? Also and I hate to ask this question and don't even know if its allowed but are there any PDFs online?

Don't know about Edge of Empire, but Tom Vasel called Empirial Assault "Star Wars in a box". It's no the greatest game in the genre, but it's still pretty good and the theme makes up for a lot.

It's not really difficult after a few games. Watch YouTube video and do couple of solo games and you should have it down. You really just doing actions of move or buy things and then have an encounter. Just remember to have everyone do actions and then do encounter as separate phase.

Thanks, hoping to get off work early tomorrow and play a couple of solo rounds in the afternoon. Really looking forward to experiencing this.

joelseph

Pandemic Legacy arrives today! Have a 5 hour session scheduled for Saturday. Just need to decide what color we are cracking open!

Pandemic Legacy arrives today! Have a 5 hour session scheduled for Saturday. Just need to decide what color we are cracking open!
I'm pretty sure I'm getting it for my birthday. I hope it works just as well with three players because I don't see my dad staying interested over several games the way my wife and mom would.

Castef

Banned
I'm getting first feedback about reception and sales of my two games and they are good.

Too bad I could not go. :(

Legendary Predator came in, finally checked it out. Seriously sick of having to organize the mess that are these cards when you buy it new.

Anyways seems solid, base game is identical to the Aliens version, they just added three new card rules to the game but they fit on one page of the book and real simple card specific abilities only. You can freely mix the Predator cards with the Aliens stuff since its identical.

Haven't touched the Predator hunter mode cards though, which is the biggest change apparently where the rules are tweaked and you have all separate decks and cards for playing as the Predators hunting and fighting against the humans. Some new mechanics are introduced in that version of the game.

The art of the predator set.... most of it is really bad. Legendary art is all over the place but the Predator set cards are real bad, look like bad 90's comic book art

Experien

Hey guys! A few friends and I are getting in the Star Wars mood.

Is Edge of Empire any good? Also and I hate to ask this question and don't even know if its allowed but are there any PDFs online?

I don't know about that either but X-Wing is fun but costly and Imperial Assault can be cool if you get all the rules down and people remember them. Still haven't gotten the skirmish mode to the table yet but want to badly.

I think I'm going to start a fresh Shadows of Brimstone campaign for Halloween. The horror theme is strong with it, so it feels fitting.

I'd love to do that but I am already in an Imperial Assault campaign and a Myth one so don't have the time to start a third. Are you playing solo or with people? If solo, how many characters?

The little I played of it solo & with big group made it SUPER hard. Is that your experience too?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'd love to do that but I am already in an Imperial Assault campaign and a Myth one so don't have the time to start a third. Are you playing solo or with people? If solo, how many characters?

The little I played of it solo & with big group made it SUPER hard. Is that your experience too?

So I've only gotten one good game in. I play solo since it's not really my wife's thing. I controlled the 4 City of the Ancients heroes on my first real game. The book keeping was a nightmare without a player aid, so I've since printed out some not "book style" aids to record stats and such. It was getting way too hard to remember that each character had +1 move or some had +1 LUK or whatever. Hopefully these aids help.

That said, I did the first mission on Hard (where you needed to find 5 clues I think). I was actually doing fine in all the encounters, but I was starting to fail Hold Back the Darkness rolls a LOT and had a point where the Darkness would have escaped. I said fuck that noise and pressed on and started to ignore that so I could at least reveal the final encounter.

I have everything currently available for the game (all the expansion cards, all the preview minis on their site, City/Swamps/Cynder expansions), so I tend to run into a LOT of crazy shit. I did score some amazing loot, but I also fought a Harvester and a Guardian during my romp through the mines. The Harvester took a bit, but the damned Guardian...Wow. He was something else. I blame him for the delay in holding back the darkness.

Whatever the case, the Harbinger was my boss, followed by some Serpentmen (with all their damn Serpent Magik). Once I revealed all the Darkness cards, I just GG'd and put it all away. There was NO way to take that out.

That being said, I think I'm going to play solo with 2-heroes and work on leveling them up to level 2-3. Do that with a few heroes, and then form a party of 4 heroes with some leveled heroes to see how that goes. I've heard the game goes really hard -> manageable -> broken easy as time progresses. Once I get a strong party of heroes, I'm going to give Hexcrawl a go. Until then, I'd like to work my way through some of the quests with all 8 heroes and see what options I have.

tl;dr - posse of 4 level 1 heroes = hard.

I had a STACK of Darkness cards, so that wasn't good

Eldritch-Horror-Game-Board3.jpg

Thanks, hoping to get off work early tomorrow and play a couple of solo rounds in the afternoon. Really looking forward to experiencing this.

Eldritch Horror is fantastic. It's my favorite board game right now and the easy favorite of my group.

Someone else in the group owns it though so I've been thinking of getting a copy just so I can play it solo whenever I want lol

The level of variability in character building is my favorite part of the game and probably it's strong point.

I think you'll love it :)

It is quite dense though as far as rules and games go. Not as bad as some other games but certainly up there.

tl;dr - posse of 4 level 1 heroes = hard.

I had a STACK of Darkness cards, so that wasn't good
Without our preacher spec'd for healing/support, I could definitely see us running into problems (we're lvl 2-3). Whether its healing wounds/sanity or removing Darkness/Growing Dread cards, the Preacher is incredibly useful -- to a point where we've never had a KO. I'm thinking of modifying the difficulty a little to give us more of a challenge.

Edit: Three of us are also going to start a side campaign to do at lunch time and I'm guessing we'll run with the other three characters we've yet to try -- Saloon Girl, Scout, and Law Man. We'll see how it goes without a Preacher.

Plus, super looking forward to my Trun Hunters, Burrower, Guardian and Darkstone Brutes that should be arriving next week. And of course my Outlaw KS pledge stuff coming later this winter.

Zaptruder

Banned
Damnit Zaptruder.

ycueMJ2.jpg

:p

Spreading the love!

Also semi related - you can apparently magnetize the parts on these minis and completely fulfill the intent of the creator (he's made parts for every piece of gear in the game... but you're supposed to glue them together... if you magnetize the parts, you swap the limbs and weapons to represent what your character is using).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e36YhrtopqU

https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomDeath/comments/3nt7ui/kingdom_death_mini_magnetization/

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
:p

Spreading the love!

Also semi related - you can apparently magnetize the parts on these minis and completely fulfill the intent of the creator (he's made parts for every piece of gear in the game... but you're supposed to glue them together... if you magnetize the parts, you swap the limbs and weapons to represent what your character is using).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e36YhrtopqU

https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomDeath/comments/3nt7ui/kingdom_death_mini_magnetization/

I actually had it preordered before the price hike. The new preorder price is higher, but the price after shipping is only $3 more, haha. I think they overestimated shipping initially.

I'm excited to play it now that people are finally talking about it. I was skeptical at the price to gameplay thing.

Without our preacher spec'd for healing/support, I could definitely see us running into problems (we're lvl 2-3). Whether its healing wounds/sanity or removing Darkness/Growing Dread cards, the Preacher is incredibly useful -- to a point where we've never had a KO. I'm thinking of modifying the difficulty a little to give us more of a challenge.

Edit: Three of us are also going to start a side campaign to do at lunch time and I'm guessing we'll run with the other three characters we've yet to try -- Saloon Girl, Scout, and Law Man. We'll see how it goes without a Preacher.

Plus, super looking forward to my Trun Hunters, Burrower, Guardian and Darkstone Brutes that should be arriving next week. And of course my Outlaw KS pledge stuff coming later this winter.

I haven't tried the Preacher yet...I may include him in my fresh posse. And you're in for a treat with the new enemies. The Guardian is a treat. Did you get the Serpentmen of Jargono or Void Sorcerers? Amazing dudes.

Also, while I am waiting for my next box of sleeves to arrive, I decided to give another run at Mage Knight. I love this game, but man...These rules are crazy! My second game when I first brought it out was when I sort of got the rules, but it's been a few weeks. I don't think I'll ever be at the point where I don't have the rulebook next to me during a session of this. On that, my first 2 exploration phases have given me a pretty rough starting map. We will see how it goes. I fully expect to fail conquering both cities. I am playing the chick with the cool skill that allows you to use one wound for +2 anything (that can be gained from sideways play) once per turn. That skill seems pretty solid.

Any tips for showing a new player this game? I want to teach my friend, but there is SO much going on...He is a gamer, but MK is on a whole different level. It's not HARD to play, but it's very dense.

Played my first game of Flashpoint: Fire Rescue. :) Played with the SO and their friend. It was fun and we won. Though we used the family/intro rules. Might need to play it a few times like that before moving on to the expert rules.

Dryk

Played my first game of Flashpoint: Fire Rescue. :) Played with the SO and their friend. It was fun and we won. Though we used the family/intro rules. Might need to play it a few times like that before moving on to the expert rules.
This game is on my list of things I'm getting next. Looks really interesting and I have plenty of friends to play Pandemic with if I want to.

aku:jiki

(he's made parts for every piece of gear in the game... but you're supposed to glue them together... if you magnetize the parts, you swap the limbs and weapons to represent what your character is using).
I think some people's idea that you're supposed to switch parts out as you go is a misinterpretation of what Poots was trying to do, because it really doesn't make a lick of sense. I think he's just fusing boardgaming and wargaming, since the latter often comes with spare pieces you can switch out for customization. I really think you're just meant to assemble the survivor you think looks the coolest.

I don't have the actual game yet, but I have received and assembled one of my "pinup" minis and, god damn, that's a miniature all right. I'm both intimidated by it and can't wait to try and paint it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm eagerly awaiting my Zombicide Black Plague box, and I want to paint it. What would you guys suggest to practice on?

aku:jiki

I'm eagerly awaiting my Zombicide Black Plague box, and I want to paint it. What would you guys suggest to practice on?
Practice painting? Get a copy of Sedition Wars! It sucks and no one likes it, so it can be had pretty cheaply, but comes with 50+ McVey-sculpted minis, including some cool multipart heroes and some big and nasty space monsters. You'll get to practice tidying minis, gluing them together and painting, and 50 of them for the usual sale price of $25-30 is a steal.

Just don't waste your time trying to play the damn thing.

I haven't tried the Preacher yet...I may include him in my fresh posse. And you're in for a treat with the new enemies. The Guardian is a treat. Did you get the Serpentmen of Jargono or Void Sorcerers? Amazing dudes.
Not yet, those should come around Xmas time. Glad to hear they're decent enemies, since the base game is lacking in anything more than a rush and melee type of enemy.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not yet, those should come around Xmas time. Glad to hear they're decent enemies, since the base game is lacking in anything more than a rush and melee type of enemy.

You'll enjoy it. Guardian and Harvesters both are great enemies. The Serpentmen and Void Sorcerers are fantastic with their spells. I mean, they can suck, but they're fun. The Trederran Raiders are also a nice change with their ranged abilities.

Also, the Burrower is an AMAZING model. It needs a little bit of TLC for assembly (because of dumb mold lines), but once it's done...It's really quite amazing.

Zaptruder

Banned
I think some people's idea that you're supposed to switch parts out as you go is a misinterpretation of what Poots was trying to do, because it really doesn't make a lick of sense. I think he's just fusing boardgaming and wargaming, since the latter often comes with spare pieces you can switch out for customization. I really think you're just meant to assemble the survivor you think looks the coolest.

I don't have the actual game yet, but I have received and assembled one of my "pinup" minis and, god damn, that's a miniature all right. I'm both intimidated by it and can't wait to try and paint it.

The pinups are definetly fixed minis. But the modular minis are of quite a different quality.

Been able to represent the character you're playing with was basically Poots intent with the whole modular mini thing. But practically, that's really difficult to achieve as modular units. Plastic just doesn't have that much strength that they can be designed to be swappable to that degree.

So officially they're designed to just be glued together, and you use the best piece that most closely represents your character.

But if it was reasonable or easy to design modular miniatures with swappable parts (as opposed to selectable) at that level of detail - it seems like it would've been done, because it perfectly fits the theme and intent of it all.

On the other hand, it's not impossible - it simply requires a lot of effort... from a hobbyist to drill and put the pins and magnets in to get that sort of effect.

Practice painting? Get a copy of Sedition Wars! It sucks and no one likes it, so it can be had pretty cheaply, but comes with 50+ McVey-sculpted minis, including some cool multipart heroes and some big and nasty space monsters. You'll get to practice tidying minis, gluing them together and painting, and 50 of them for the usual sale price of $25-30 is a steal.

Just don't waste your time trying to play the damn thing.

Huh I wonder if I can give out poorly to progressively better painted minis as parts of christmas gifts...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I used to be all about getting shitty minis to learn on...But I've since graduated to "get stuff you're interested in painting". It's really hard for me to get excited about painting a historical mini, but give me a fantasy chibi mini (ala Super Dungeon Explore) and I'm scrambling for a brush.

I would say hunt for minis that meet your interest and learn on those. You could always ask on /r/minipainting for suggestions, too.

Mr E.

I very nearly picked this up but opted instead for Dead men tell no tales. A similar type of co op but pirate themed.

My wife and I played Mangrovia and it went down really well with her. Worker placement/Set collection/Area majority mechanics that are a breeze to teach as a gateway+ for those looking to get there wives up to scratch with Euros lol.

With regards to Flashpoint/Pandemic/Forbidden island/desert and such. The latest due out is Thunderbirds by Matt Leacock. Based on an old TV show with marionette puppets. Looks quite good.

joelseph

Practice on the zombies. Grab a can of spray primer that is zombie color. Prime everything. Then just do what you want to highlight them. Finally dip them in ink and you are good to go!

Experien

504 is everywhere, anyone plan on getting it?

I've been thinking about it, thinking it would round out my collection since everyone is saying the games feel different.

Practice on the zombies. Grab a can of spray primer that is zombie color. Prime everything. Then just do what you want to highlight them. Finally dip them in ink and you are good to go!

Dip them in ink? What do you mean ink?

Xater

I'm getting first feedback about reception and sales of my two games and they are good.

Too bad I could not go. :(

I should have checked this thread. I went over to the Horrible Games booth today asking for you. Was told you couldn't make it because of work. I think I talked to Lorenzo. Anyway, I liked your game and bought it. Apparently the copies I saw behind the counter were the only ones left. Looks like the game is doing well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've been thinking about it, thinking it would round out my collection since everyone is saying the games feel different.

Quick Shade Tutorial

Literally do a simple basecoat on your miniature and dip them in Army Painter Quick Shade. Once the mini dries, you've got a simple tabletop quality mini ready to go. Quick matte varnish to seal and remove some of that shine and *boom* you're done.

E: Here's a gallery on Army Painter's website. Click me!

E2: The more detailed approach would be:

• Prime mini
  • Basecoat all surfaces
  • Dip/paint with quickshade or ink
  • Pick out little details or touch up areas for extra "pop" (optional step)
  • Base mini (optional step)
  • Clear coat (I prefer matte to tone down the shine of the ink/dip)

Experien

Quick Shade Tutorial

Literally do a simple basecoat on your miniature and dip them in Army Painter Quick Shade. Once the mini dries, you've got a simple tabletop quality mini ready to go. Quick matte varnish to seal and remove some of that shine and *boom* you're done.

Oh, like Nuln Oil?

I thought actually dipping in and not just like a "dark wash" on a figure.

joelseph

Quick Shade Tutorial

E2: The more detailed approach would be:

• Prime mini
  • Basecoat all surfaces
  • Dip/paint with quickshade or ink
  • Pick out little details or touch up areas for extra "pop" (optional step)
  • Base mini (optional step)
  • Clear coat (I prefer matte to tone down the shine of the ink/dip)

Army Painter has a nice zombie primer called Necrotic Brown.

joelseph

Oh, like Nuln Oil?

I thought actually dipping in and not just like a "dark wash" on a figure.

When I say ink I mean dark wash sorry. If you are looking for quick and easy, it's just easier to dip the entire mini into the wash and then shake the excess. There are tutorials online. Quick and easy way to get an entire Zombiecide painted up. I would take my time on the main minis, like Nic said. And really work the mini over for details.

Back when I painted minis, I used ink. There's a floorwax called "Future." Mix that, water, plus some ink (from an actual jar, meant for manually refilling pens and shit) and I would use that once the main paints were on the minis. It settles into crevices and brings out the edges, great stuff.

Top Bottom