• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Karkador

Banned
Can someone tell me what the appeal of Biblios is? I've heard such great things about it but I have a hard time grasping exactly what it is people like about it. The descriptions of the game don't sound too interesting, but I feel like I'm missing something about it.

It's easy and quick to learn, portable, and gives you a solid dose of drafting, pushing your luck, and bluffing, without a lot of the other BS that bigger games try to pad into this type of game.

There are a fair amount of bigger, lengthier board games that have a similar concept of "you're secretly collecting valuable things while trying to fool your opponents into collecting crap ", but Biblios does it efficiently.

3 for 3 in Pandemic Legacy, but I suspect we are going to be thrown for a loop soon. I love this game so much.

Can someone tell me what the appeal of Biblios is? I've heard such great things about it but I have a hard time grasping exactly what it is people like about it. The descriptions of the game don't sound too interesting, but I feel like I'm missing something about it.

It's easy and quick to learn, portable, and gives you a solid dose of drafting, pushing your luck, and bluffing, without a lot of the other BS that bigger games try to pad into this type of game.

There are a fair amount of bigger, lengthier board games that have a similar concept of "you're secretly collecting valuable things while trying to fool your opponents into collecting crap ", but Biblios does it efficiently.
Pretty much this. Biblios just checks off all the boxes that are needed for a good filler game. It also feels meaty in a way some fillers just don't.

Played my second game of Among the Stars with the SO. We included the objective cards and race abilities this time. Not really feeling it after playing it this time and the conflict cards don't seem all that interesting. Maybe one of the expansions adds something that would improve it for me.

joelseph

3 for 3 in Pandemic Legacy, but I suspect we are going to be thrown for a loop soon. I love this game so much.

Pretty much this. Biblios just checks off all the boxes that are needed for a good filler game. It also feels meaty in a way some fillers just don't.

Plus it's a magnetic flip top box that looks like a book and has really nice colorful dice!

emag

Anyone gonna get the new Race for the Galaxy Expansion, Xeno Invasion? Seems interesting, and I do have a extra set of Race lying around.

Absolutely. RftG's my most played game and probably my favorite (with either AA or TGS). The new cards in Xeno Invasion look like they'll create some neat new synergies. I'm not entirely sold on the optional invasion module, but it looks to be a lot quicker than AA's.

FWIW, I didn't care for Biblios. There's nothing clever or engaging about the game; it's entirely soulless and generic. I'd rather play an filler with more interactivity such as No Thanks! or Hanabi or One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

Experien

Are people getting TIME Stories?

On the fence cause steep cost for one playthrough. I know it is a "dvd player" type game and very interested in the dragon and pyramid stories coming out later.

Xater

Are people getting TIME Stories?

On the fence cause steep cost for one playthrough. I know it is a "dvd player" type game and very interested in the dragon and pyramid stories coming out later.

It looks cool, but I'm not into board games I can not play over and over again.

joelseph

FWIW, I didn't care for Biblios. There's nothing clever or engaging about the game; it's entirely soulless and generic. I'd rather play an filler with more interactivity such as No Thanks! or Hanabi or One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

I have friends like you. I would say this is not an uncommon opinion.

Karkador

Banned
Board games aren't supposed to have soul; the people you play with do.

This is directed at the Biblios criticism, but it goes for pretty much every game.

espher

Anyone gonna get the new Race for the Galaxy Expansion, Xeno Invasion? Seems interesting, and I do have a extra set of Race lying around.

I haven't played Race with my group since we got Roll, but I still like Race. I'll probably pick it up.

Somebody made a BattleCON: Variant using Super Smash Bros Amiibo as the stand in replacements.

Heh, I was actually doing something up like this, but I was nowhere near as far along as this one. I like how it looks so far. Definitely keeping an eye out for it.

re: 7th Continent, I just bought in at the Explorer tier, and pledged for the extra expansion add-on. This game ticks a ton of boxes for me and watching the play videos I have a feeling I'll use the expansion content, but I may end up backing down to the regular tier depending on a) how many other expansion-style add-ons they throw into this KS and b) how the Canadian dollar does following the election (the estimate on this order + shipping is already over CAD$180 before my bank fees, and that's a hell of a lot for one admittedly seemingly robust game).

Definitely looking at Scythe now... will watch that Kickstarter for sure. God I hate how terrible the CAD is right now.

Castef

Banned
At 99% i'll jump on Scythe. Seems a very meaty and well-designed game.

Also, tomorrow the KS campaign for Sword & Sorcery will launch. On the edge on this one.

Experien

At 99% i'll jump on Scythe. Seems a very meaty and well-designed game.

Also, tomorrow the KS campaign for Sword & Sorcery will launch. On the edge on this one.

Oh snap..Galaxy Defenders guys.

I giggled at their trailer saying the KS box will be bigger to fit all the KS stuff in it. My GD box was torn at a corner and cracked insert so they gave me like $10 and i bought some PLANO containers & trashed the insert. Everything fits now.

If it wasn't for my already dedication to Myth, I'd be in this game...probably.

JSR_Cube

Got my Blood Rage stuff today.

Iy5axPY.jpg

Can't wait to try it out..

I think I will wait on Swords and Sorcery. I have Cthulhu Wars onslaught 2 next week and I have to save for that.

As a huge fan of retro video games, how is Boss Monster?

I looks cool but is it fun? Also, which is better, Boss Monster and the expansion, or Boss Monster 2

Slacker

I don't like Boss Monster at all, personally. It looks great, but there's so much randomness that it's just not fun for me. It also looks like a quick filler type game, but unless everyone playing knows the game really well, it can drag on for a while.

Way late to the party, but I finally started with Five Tribes recently and I'm Lovin' It. And I've been surprised that in a game with 100+ scores how close we've ended up every time. I just played a quick game with a coworker at lunch and lost by two points!

WBXGpzr.jpg

emag

As a huge fan of retro video games, how is Boss Monster?

I looks cool but is it fun? Also, which is better, Boss Monster and the expansion, or Boss Monster 2

Boss Monster is a dull, random game of ganging up on the leader until people get bored enough to let anyone win, just like Muchkin. Actually, it's a bit slower than Muchkin, so maybe it's even worse? On the other hand, I do like the art better than Muchkin's, so I'll say they're equally terrible overall.

Karkador

Banned
It's such a shame, because the aesthetic of the game (down to the adorable little gameboy box for the expansion) is on-fucking-point for gamers who grew up in that era.

You seem to play a lot of two-player games. What games have you played with two, many times, that you still love?
I would say Star Realms but I got tired of it. Might get the expansions to spice things up. Other than that, it's too soon to say with the games I just got.

My Collection:
Among the Stars (First week.)
Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game (In middle of campaign, haven't touched in a week+.)
Flash Point: Fire Rescue (First week.)
Fluxx v4.0 (Rarely if ever play this.)
Lost Cities (First week.)
Love Letter (Rarely play.)
Star Realms (Occasionally play.)

Blizzard

Banned
I would say Star Realms but I got tired of it. Might get the expansions to spice things up. Other than that, it's too soon to say with the games I just got.

My Collection:
Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game (In middle of campaign, haven't touched in a week+.)
I see. It just sounded like there were few, if ANY, games you consistently still enjoy with 2 players. Maybe you will find something.

I opened Mysterium today. It has 6 tiny cardboard pieces and no bags, only depressions in plastic to put cards and such, so I'll probably put at least one bag in.

I had forgotten it was a cooperative guessing game -- everyone wins or loses together -- so that explains how the 2-player mode works. One player is the ghost, and the other has a couple of psychics and tries to figure out the clues.

My Collection:

Cthulhu Realms is a nice twist to Star Realms. The icons is very confusing at first but we really enjoy it. Another two players game we currently enjoy are Tide of Times, and Mottainai - the last one take a few plays to grasp but once it click it is very fun and clever way of playing cards.

Also I know you were disappointed by what you read on BGG about Specter Ops but my daughter and I really enjoy two players. I feel though that the game is a bit over priced if you don't find it on sale. It's probably because of all the miniatures.

Karkador

Banned
You know what? Noir is probably a much better get for 2P over Specter Ops. Similar mystery/deduction gameplay without all the dead weight.

Blizzard

Banned
You know what? Noir is probably a much better get for 2P over Specter Ops. Similar mystery/deduction gameplay without all the dead weight.
If they didn't want to play as Jack the Ripper, they presumably won't want to play as a killer who is actively killing either.

This?
If they didn't want to play as Jack the Ripper, they presumably won't want to play as a killer who is actively killing either.
If it's stylized enough, it might be okay. It's one thing to play as a generic bad person and another to play as a real person that preyed on women that did sex work.

Dryk

If you're looking to spice it up Gambit might be the best because you get the two PvE cards with it. Heroes is pretty neat but the rest are either more of the same or messy (I didn't bother getting Events).

Lyng

I don't like Boss Monster at all, personally. It looks great, but there's so much randomness that it's just not fun for me. It also looks like a quick filler type game, but unless everyone playing knows the game really well, it can drag on for a while.

Way late to the party, but I finally started with Five Tribes recently and I'm Lovin' It. And I've been surprised that in a game with 100+ scores how close we've ended up every time. I just played a quick game with a coworker at lunch and lost by two points!

WBXGpzr.jpg

Yeah Five Tribes is amazing. Especially as a two player game.

Karkador

Banned
This?

If it's stylized enough, it might be okay. It's one thing to play as a generic bad person and another to play as a real person that preyed on women that did sex work.

That's the one. And those are my thoughts exactly re: Jack the Ripper games, and why Letters from Whitechapel isn't for me

I love pixel tactics as a two player card game. It's cheap, expandable, and has the rare quality where every card your opponent plays feels super powerful, but your opponent feels the exact same way about your cards. Each card has 5 ways that it can be played: as a leader at the beginning, as a front line fighter, a support class or a back row supporter or sniper, or you can discard for a special one time use power. Lots of fun.

emag

I love pixel tactics as a two player card game. It's cheap, expandable, and has the rare quality where every card your opponent plays feels super powerful, but your opponent feels the exact same way about your cards. Each card has 5 ways that it can be played: as a leader at the beginning, as a front line fighter, a support class or a back row supporter or sniper, or you can discard for a special one time use power. Lots of fun.

For those who haven't played it, I would describe Pixel Tactics as a fully fleshed out version of The Witcher III's Gwent coated in a Final Fantasy Tactics theme.

Draxal

I can't wait for the kickstarter to ship....

Nice list! Good euro selection. I want to give Welcome to the Dungeon another shot, only demoed the Warrior at GenCon.

It's one of my favorite fillers at the moment. People's faces when they just sabotaged the whole dungeon expedition, and then have to go in themselves, just priceless.

Nice collection and not a lot of overlap with mine.

I filtered it to only show the games I own, as I also add games from my wishlist on BGG.
Hmm. You gave King of Tokyo a high score. Been considering getting that as my Halloween game, since it will be simple enough for my SO's sister. Play it as a two player game? I saw there are different fan variants.

fenners

Hmm. You gave King of Tokyo a high score. Been considering getting that as my Halloween game, since it will be simple enough for my SO's sister. Play it as a two player game? I saw there are different fan variants.

I've played it two player a bunch with my daughter, without any variants though. S'okay, 'take that' games like it don't necessarily work well with just two players. More than two? Well worth it as a light, dicey experience that players shouldn't take too seriously.

I'll just the collection linking parade... Playcounts are all sort of wrong & a bunch of these are primarily for playing with my kids.

Top Bottom