• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Didn't get to play many games over the weekend. Just a few rounds of King of Tokyo.

Can anybody reco a good solo game? I currently play Friday, Pandemic, and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, and Lord of the Rings LCG. as my goto solos. I'm in the need of something new to play. Preferably something that's between 30-90min playlength.

The Space Hulk card game is good for solo play.

Component breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8imxhN3DzQ

Solo Play Walkthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dTy21kuE5U

It can be pretty hard too, which I like.

Thanks, I'll check out Urbion. I may have actually tried the Space Hulk title before but can't recall.

BomberMouse - Agreed, I'd much rather play a proper boardgame with my friends but it's a struggle. So when I can't do that I try to enjoy a solo game.

DOUBLE EDIT!!

I'm interested in the solo mode of Lewis & Clark as well. Don't want to purchase it on a whim though if the solo is crappy, given that it's not too often I get to game with others.

I know that feeling, I tried some solo games but couldn't find the appeal, I'd rather play video games or other hobbies in that case (like miniature painting that also scratches a similar itch). I decided I'd rather play simpler games with friends than just stockpile meaty games that I'd only play solo.

Robinson Crusoe was the new hotness a few years ago, maybe take a look at that.

Karkador

Banned
Thanks, I'll check out Urbion. I may have actually tried the Space Hulk title before but can't recall.

BomberMouse - Agreed, I'd much rather play a proper boardgame with my friends but it's a struggle. So when I can't do that I try to enjoy a solo game.

DOUBLE EDIT!!

I'm interested in the solo mode of Lewis & Clark as well. Don't want to purchase it on a whim though if the solo is crappy, given that it's not too often I get to game with others.

Another alternative is Mage Knight, which people compare to Lewis & Clark in how you play cards. That one is a very popular solo game, though it's a big, meaty game with a lot of stuff on the table.

Oh, there's also Race for the Galaxy. It has a pretty clever Solo AI that comes with the first expansion. That's one of my favorite games.

sasimirobot

Got a copy of Bohnanza the card game. Pretty fun, but it can drag out for a little too long.

Also played 5 hours of board games last weekend in a really nice Mahjong parlor. They had that table that automatically shuffles the tiles and deals them, neat. I think I may have to get one for the home.

We played:

Mahjong- This wasn't my first time, but it was the first time I actually put effort into really learning it. I thought it was all luck before, but now I see some strats. Its also good for learning Chinese.

Camel Up- congrats on winning the SdJ! I brought this out with the Mahjong players and everyone loved it. Played 2 games.

Ticket to Ride 1910 Mega game- 1 player struggled ( I am playing with Chinese people) with the map and strategy, but her boyfriend ended up winning the game his first time playing. My GF and I played very poorly considering we own the game.

Anyways...It was a good weekend, and I suggest anyone into board games to try Mahjong or visit a Mahjong parlor, its an interesting and relaxing experience.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
aand nothing comes close to draining your wallet as much as mtg does.

People say that, but it's not really true. If you wanna play on the Pro Circuit sure, but most casual magic players don't spend much money on cards and they have plenty of fun. Hell you can usually build a competitive standard deck for competitive play for $40 which is cheaper than most competitive LCG decks. It might not be the current top-of-the-crop when it comes to the meta-game.

Though maybe I don't know... I've been out of the game for a while... Perhaps the game has drastically changed since Invasion block which was the last time I seriously followed constructed.

JesseZao

People say that, but it's not really true. If you wanna play on the Pro Circuit sure, but most casual magic players don't spend much money on cards and they have plenty of fun. Hell you can usually build a competitive standard deck for competitive play for $40 which is cheaper than most competitive LCG decks. It might not be the current top-of-the-crop when it comes to the meta-game.

Though maybe I don't know... I've been out of the game for a while... Perhaps the game has drastically changed since Invasion block which was the last time I seriously followed constructed.

Okay, then you have one deck that you spent $40 bucks on. Not very versatile. I'll stick to hearthstone and LCGs.

alazz

Anyone have impressions of Quantum, especially a two-player game? My next board game is a tossup between this, Battlestar Galactica, and (to a lesser extent) Eminent Domain. I'm leaning mostly toward Quantum because I think I could get my dad--or at least some of my family--to play it. BSG is 3p+ and would likely be too involved from what I've read and Eminent Domain may be too abstract. From the game play video I saw, Quantum seems very simple, quick to learn, but with a lot of depth and tight mechanics and no odd terminology or symbology to follow and no hand or deck management, which sounds nice.

I did just order Neuroshima Hex 3.0 without a second thought. While I'm not sure my dad would get into it, I know I could get a couple friends to get into it. This will be the first non-Parker/MB board game and non-card game I'll own and I'm very excited to try something totally new for the first time in a while. Plus, I found a good deal for it at $35 shipped.

Neverfade

Anyone have impressions of Quantum, especially a two-player game? My next board game is a tossup between this, Battlestar Galactica, and (to a lesser extent) Eminent Domain. I'm leaning mostly toward Quantum because I think I could get my dad--or at least some of my family--to play it. BSG is 3p+ and would likely be too involved from what I've read and Eminent Domain may be too abstract. From the game play video I saw, Quantum seems very simple, quick to learn, but with a lot of depth and tight mechanics and no odd terminology or symbology to follow and no hand or deck management, which sounds nice.

I did just order Neuroshima Hex 3.0 without a second thought. While I'm not sure my dad would get into it, I know I could get a couple friends to get into it. This will be the first non-Parker/MB board game and non-card game I'll own and I'm very excited to try something totally new for the first time in a while. Plus, I found a good deal for it at $35 shipped.

Quantum is good stuff, but I've never played it with just 2.

BSG is the best shit ever, but don't let the box or anyone else fool you, 3p games are dogshit. I don't even fuck with it if I don't have 5 people.

Eminent Domaine isn't bad, but both games it emulates, Race for the Galaxy and Glory to Rome, blow it out of the water.

Anyone play Tales of the Arabian Nights? Thoughts? I'm thinking of getting it.

More of an activity, a fleshed out choose your own adventure, then a game but if that sort of thing gets your motor running it has a decent enough reputation.

Even if your not playing tourny level, just going to the local game store or casual fun games, you will often get owned by not following the meta money trail. While you may approach it casually, many of your opponents are having fun building their competitive deck and do follow that current meta.

Your experience with magic is often going to boil down to who your opponents are, you might get lucky and find ppl having fun without competitive decks, but in many cases your going to be up against some serious competition and your going to feel left out, and the need to spend more money.

We play once in a while with local friends who aren't into it or follow it heavily, we have some fun with our casually made decks as we dont follow trends and meta stuff, but a friend was hardcore, and playing with him, was not fun.

We were playing Pathfinder (card game) last night and few questions came up that I am not sure. I read the rule and faq and still unsure so may be BoardggameGAF can help us.

For Combat check my cleric swing her hammer (using St. Melee) and then cast Holy Light (and using Divine die), I know I can do this since they are different "type" of card and both have "For Combat check" but do I add the results and make it one Combat check? (Logic would say yes, since I am doing a single Combat check). What if I also add a blessing (or my teammate) do I get to pick which die to add?

Another question also came up so let said a player roll for check and fail, at that point can he play a card to add die? I said "no" because the check fail and resolve after the roll before any other card can be play. The player argue that the rule said card can be play at "anytime" so he should be able to play a card right after the fail roll but before damage resolve.

Thanks in advance GAF.

The game is fun with more players (we try to play with 2 players before and it was boring but with added player, the Blessing deck tick much faster and really add to the tension. (We actually fail the first scenario) because one of the player want to keep lingering and search instead of closing the location.

joelseph

Even if your not playing tourny level, just going to the local game store or casual fun games, you will often get owned by not following the meta money trail. While you may approach it casually, many of your opponents are having fun building their competitive deck and do follow that current meta.

Your experience with magic is often going to boil down to who your opponents are, you might get lucky and find ppl having fun without competitive decks, but in many cases your going to be up against some serious competition and your going to feel left out, and the need to spend more money.

Depends on the format. You can play limited (draft and sealed) for relatively cheap and be on even ground with everyone in the tournament. I spent $20 dollars this weekend. Played 12 games. Got to keep a whole bunch of new cards valued at over $20 dollars. And most importantly had a blast.

I own a whole bunch of other TCG and LCG games. Card games are my favorite! The only game that comes close is Netrunner. I own 3 core sets and at least one of every expansion. Pretty expensive.

Ohnonono

Great solo games : Robinson Crusoe (sort of amazing how good it is solo), Pathfinder Card Game. Any number of war games with no hidden info (Lock N Load in particular), Phantom Fury. Also Conflict of Heroes series of wargames are good solo but some scenarios you have to fudge a bit. The solo expansion has been in production forever but when it comes out I am sure it will be great. D-Day at Omaha Beach (absolute classic. A bit rules heavy but an amazing simulation.)

Minus war games I would say Robinson Crusoe all the way. Get your components squared away so you can pretty much play out of the box and just replaying the first scenario with different strategies will last you a long time. The theme is also very represented in the game. When you start to lose you will feel cold and alone, lol. RC is also good because its still fantastic with more players.

Depends on the format. You can play limited (draft and sealed) for relatively cheap and be on even ground with everyone in the tournament. I spent $20 dollars this weekend. Played 12 games. Got to keep a whole bunch of new cards valued at over $20 dollars. And most importantly had a blast.

I own a whole bunch of other TCG and LCG games. Card games are my favorite! The only game that comes close is Netrunner. I own 3 core sets and at least one of every expansion. Pretty expensive.

That would be up to how often you play drafts too though, local shop a friend does multiple drafts a week, so yea it adds up quick. Its a more fair format, but I also never liked draft style events, I like taking my time and building optimal decks with what I have so I never could get into the format.

omlet

We were playing Pathfinder (card game) last night and few questions came up that I am not sure. I read the rule and faq and still unsure so may be BoardggameGAF can help us.

For Combat check my cleric swing her hammer (using St. Melee) and then cast Holy Light (and using Divine die), I know I can do this since they are different "type" of card and both have "For Combat check" but do I add the results and make it one Combat check? (Logic would say yes, since I am doing a single Combat check). What if I also add a blessing (or my teammate) do I get to pick which die to add?
Unless we've been playing it wrong for almost a year now, when you do a combat check you only do 1 check. That is, you either use your mace OR your spell. I've probably played close to 20 scenarios in PFCG and not only has no one ever tried to do what you're describing, no one has ever even needed to--I've never seen anyone die and we've only timed out on one scenario once. The game is obviously balanced around only doing 1 check. If you could double up on combat checks there would be no challenge at all.

Refer to page 11 of the rulebook. "[Y]ou may play only 1 card or use only 1 power that defines the skill you are going to use." When you make a combat check (or any check) you only use 1 "skill" to do the check. If you use a spell like Holy Light, that is the Divine skill. If you use a mace it's the Melee skill. You don't roll both skills for 1 check. You pick one. For checks where you don't have the required skill, you can often use the base attribute instead (for example, Dexterity attribute if you don't have Stealth skill).

The answer to your question about blessings then becomes simple; Only 1 blessing can be applied to a single check (combat or otherwise) and only one base dice type will be used (so if using a Divine spell for Kyra, it's her D12 Wisdom die +2 for her Divine skill IIRC). So sometimes what blessings are available to the party will determine what kind of check you want to make (because there is a blessing that adds 2 dice on Strength-based combat checks--Mace attacks--and if someone can play that you might rather try a Mace attack with that blessing instead of a Divine spell attack with a Blessing of the Gods).

Another question also came up so let said a player roll for check and fail, at that point can he play a card to add die? I said "no" because the check fail and resolve after the roll before any other card can be play. The player argue that the rule said card can be play at "anytime" so he should be able to play a card right after the fail roll but before damage resolve.
No. You're right, it can't be played after check. When a card says it can be played "anytime" for adding dice to a check it means it can be played when it's not your turn. Once the diceroll has been made, unless something says it can be used to reroll, then you can't reroll or add dice. You can still play "anytime" cards to soften the failure (Guard ally, for example, you can play out of your hand to block damage done on someone else's turn).

@omlet

Thanks that make sense and I must have glossed over that part in the rule about you can only using 1 type of "Skill" per check. I was fixated on the fact that you can use more than one "type" of card so I figure since they are both "Combat check" I should be able to cast both spell and swing my mace. ( I interpret the rule to be one check as in a single "Combat check"). The rule just stated that "use any of the skills" for the check.

I also understand what you are saying about not needing to because frankly it was quite overkill but I was the final combat with the Villain, and I was pretty much want to throw everything at him to end the game. I do wish the game is a bit harder (but not unfair hard like LOTR LCG), the check seems too easy. The first time we play the game, we didn't know that you can play card on another player that is not at the same location (like the Blessing) so that make it a bit more challenging. But that probably might break the game since not able to clear / close multiple location by having to be together all the time to play would be terrible.

omlet

@omlet

Thanks that make sense and I must have glossed over that part in the rule about you can only using 1 type of "Skill" per check. I was fixated on the fact that you can use more than one "type" of card so I figure since they are both "Combat check" I could cast both spell and swing my mace. I also understand what you are saying about not needing to because frankly it was quite overkill but I was the final combat with the Villain, and I was pretty much want to throw everything at him to end the game. I do wish the game is a bit harder (but not unfair hard like LOTR LCG), the check seems to easy. The first time we play the game, we didn't know that you can play card on another player that is not at the same location (like the Blessing) so that make it a bit more challenging. But that probably might break the game since not able to clear / close multiple location by having to be together all the time to play would be terrible.

We have had several close calls. For example, this weekend I was playing and I was doing some of the earlier scenarios I've already finished (I play the Rogue) to help some people get caught up. On one of the Sandpoint scenarios we were literally at the last turn to finish, haha. The game does get more challenging once you get into later adventure packs, especially if you have had bad luck with improving your character's deck. If you have cleric and rogue in your party, that is a powerful combo, because rogue can explore quickly and can pick and chose her battles (can evade nasty monsters) and almost never loses a battle she picks.

A lot of it is just how the cards get shuffled, though. Have you done any scenarios that use the Shrine of Lamashtu yet (I think that's the name)? That one has like 3 or 4 blessings in its location deck and any time you find one you immediately take 2 damage that can't be reduced. First time we did a scenario with that location, we almost died. This weekend, I think the henchmen was only 3 cards deep so we closed it quickly and didn't take a lot of extra damage.

I've seen the barbarian character come very close to death, too, with a bad roll leading to losing a whole hand of weapons and then encountering something that needed magic to defeat and the player had no +1 weapons in his hand.

The thing about PFCG is that death is rarely a threat because there is really no mechanic to prevent you from just waiting out the blessing counter if things get ugly and trying the scenario again, since this game doesn't adapt to the party "running away" like a real D&D GM would. Losing the scenario is often a threat (lots of games we have <10 cards left in the blessing stack), but death, not so much.

Edit: On the note of being able to clear/close multiple locations... we normally average 4 players per game when we get PFCG out, and we always spread out as much as we can to cover multiple locations (especially important for temp-closing if boss shows up). The bard is like the only character who really should be sticking with someone (who isn't the rogue) almost every turn (to use his support skill).

Draxal

That would be up to how often you play drafts too though, local shop a friend does multiple drafts a week, so yea it adds up quick. Its a more fair format, but I also never liked draft style events, I like taking my time and building optimal decks with what I have so I never could get into the format.

I don't think any lcg/ccg/tcg/ecg or whatever comes close to how good magic works in a limited format.

Can go to one draft a week and sell the cards afterwards.

I think there's room for another game that works in that format, but it isn't on the market yet.

Slacker

Didn't get to play many games over the weekend. Just a few rounds of King of Tokyo.

Can anybody reco a good solo game? I currently play Friday, Pandemic, and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, and Lord of the Rings LCG. as my goto solos. I'm in the need of something new to play. Preferably something that's between 30-90min playlength.

I really like Elder Sign for solo play, although I've only played the iPad version so I can't comment on whether the real-life version is as good (may have a long setup time for example).

LtOrange

I'd just like to say - you are not forgotten!

Here is a list of stuff you can check out as an introduction:

Thank you for putting so much time into replying to my post. After looking over your list, I decided to go with Hive pocket and Star Realms. Biblios looks like a lot of fun, but I will hold off until the price normalizes. I should be receiving both games soon and will dive into them this weekend. Thank you for all of your recommendations!

alazz

Quantum is good stuff, but I've never played it with just 2.

BSG is the best shit ever, but don't let the box or anyone else fool you, 3p games are dogshit. I don't even fuck with it if I don't have 5 people.

Eminent Domaine isn't bad, but both games it emulates, Race for the Galaxy and Glory to Rome, blow it out of the water.

Thanks! I'll probably go with Quantum for now then.

Sad that I can't imagine having 4 other people who'll all sit down to play an hours-long BSG game anytime soon, though.

Glory to Rome looks obscenely expensive. :(

I know that feeling, I tried some solo games but couldn't find the appeal, I'd rather play video games or other hobbies in that case

That's a slippery slope because pretty much everyone would rather play video games than board games!

I've played Space Hulk solo (both the card and board games) and damn it's easier to play the ipad app, lol.

Karkador

Banned
While not exactly the same, Uchronia is very very similar to Glory to Rome. Uchroina could act as a stand in for Glory to Rome while you wait for a reprint. (Whenever the hell that is)

I haven't played Uchronia, but it seems to be missing Glory's interesting, unified manner in how cards act as 3 things, and you are really trying to be careful to control the central pool of cards, because a single card can have several implications to it.
It seems like choosing between cards in Uchronia is not as interesting of a decision.

Still, Uchronia looks really neat. I would definitely give it a try, even though I own Glory. It seems similar enough to Glory to Rome to sub for it - plus it looks a lot better than the regular edition of Glory to Rome, and it's inexpensive enough that it's not the end of the world if it's not as...Glorious...as its older brother.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
GtR is a cool game but I definitely wouldn't pay a premium for it since there are a lot of really good similarish games out there now. I have the cartoon version but rarely play it because it falls into that awkward spot of being too hardcore for casual play but not hardcore enough for serious play. :p

Karkador

Banned
GtR is a cool game but I definitely wouldn't pay a premium for it since there are a lot of really good similarish games out there now. I have the cartoon version but rarely play it because it falls into that awkward spot of being too hardcore for casual play but not hardcore enough for serious play. :p

I think for me, it will fill a niche of having a game similar enough to Race for the Galaxy that I can actually bring to a game night and play with people. I really love Race for the Galaxy, but it's simply not a game you can drop on someone who doesn't know how to play it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Interesting. I actually think GtR is more mechanically complex than RftG (minus Prestige/Takeovers at least).

Karkador

Banned
I guess I mainly feel that GtR has the mechanisms of the game more clearly laid out, and the card interactions are more obvious and not meant to be tightly woven through different phases of the game? The card effects are all in text, iconography is kept to a minimum, and many of the cards you will interact with (the pool) are just out for you to see. There is also a bit of a slower pace, as you burn through the deck a lot faster in Race. Building a single card in GtR can do some crazy things on its own, as where a card in RftG is but a single piece in your Rube Goldberg VP machine.

alazz

Thanks, Innovation sounds really great and it's now on my to-buy list. I've been looking for a civ development game and it looks like the cheapest and most straightforward of the ones I've seen. I'll check out Ucrhonia as well.

NAHHHH

(You say this as I'm putting up rare videogames for sale on Amazon, mostly to offset the money I've spent on board games)

which reminds me...

Phinor

Minus war games I would say Robinson Crusoe all the way. Get your components squared away so you can pretty much play out of the box and just replaying the first scenario with different strategies will last you a long time. The theme is also very represented in the game. When you start to lose you will feel cold and alone, lol. RC is also good because its still fantastic with more players.

I just started going through some Robinson Crusoe videos the other day and now I'm completely on board with buying the game. Problem though, availability in Europe. It's out of stock just about everywhere and the few places I could find are price gouging pretty hard. Tons of cheap copies available in Germany but they are all German language copies so that's a no go.

Anyone heard anything about EU re-print? I know they did a re-print for the US market very recently but that doesn't help much considering postage + customs.

fenners

A couple of the QA guys at the place I work are brand new gamers & it's been fun/funny doing lunchtime game sessions with them. So far, it's been Ticket To Ride Europe & /lots/ of Dominion (base set) - paraphrased comments so far: "I've got 15 games, I need to slow down buying", "I met someone with 250 games owned & that's crazy insane", "Munchkin looks like a lot of fun". Tabletop has a *lot* to answer for.

But it's been fun playing with them. Going to bring in some good solid "lunchable" games from my collection for some variety from Dominion. "King of Tokyo", "Escape!" & "Hey! That's My Fish!". I realised today this will be the third studio I've introduced my copy of "Hey! That's My Fish" to. No bad thing. Definitely got my money's worth out of it.

So, I was gonna chime in about which version of Innovation to buy, but when I went for the Amazon link, I ... was sticker shocked.

Quick story: I bought Innovation thanks to fellow GAF'er recommendations an OT or two ago. Loved it. Found out about the Iello version, which is a full reprint with full artwork, some rewording on cards, higher quality card stock, etc.

I bought it on Amazon (via RoundTree) for $25. I go to post the link here so you guys could look at it, and it's $85!!!

BGG is where you'll find pictures and comments about the reprint. Just more info before buying

Karkador

Banned
Yeah I seem to recall a time when the iello version was the in-stock one, and the yellow Asmadi one was the rare one. Now the print situation is reversed, it seems? I like the way the iello version looks.

Back on the topic of Chudyk, I played a 4-player game of Glory to Rome today. With Uchronia fresh on my mind, it seems like one of the key differences I thought of between the two is kind of moot? Having a card be 3 things (GtR) rather than just 2 (Uchronia) only makes a difference when it's in your hand...and even then....Eh? When it's out on the pool, it's never going to be a building again, so splitting that off into being other cards is not really that big of a deal.

Very curious to give Uchronia a whirl (because dinosaurs are cool).

Top Bottom