• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Finally got round to having a game of Relic last night. Those of you who've played Talisman will be better in understanding some of the comparisons I'm about to make...

The rules are very easy to pick up - after about ten minutes, we didn't have to refer to the rulebook again until someone died. It flows nice and quickly - with 4 of us, we finished in 2 and 1/2 hours.

Comparisons:

No player v player combat. This is a key element of Talisman - the point is to screw over other people so they can't chase you as effectively in the Inner Region. This means that it's more of a racing game than a tactical game. FFG make reference to no PvP in the rules (since the characters are all part of the same faction), and have said they will be rectifying this in an expansion; it's in Nemesis.

The Inner Region comes across as a way of wearing your resources down, as opposed to testing you. So the race is compounded with the goal of increasing all of your stats to the maximum (whereas in Talisman you could concentrate on one or two, such as Strength and Lives).

Overall:

The packaging and presentation is top notch - I'm looking forward to finding a couple of hours to paint up the character pieces. As mentioned above, the rules are nice and easy to follow. And yes, we will be playing again, there's a decent amount of repeat play in there - this will improve tenfold with a copy of Nemesis to get the PvP and new cards.

Would you recommend Relic to a current Talisman player? I play Talisman with my wife and buddy and we all love the game. I'm a fan of the WH40K universe so I've always been eyeing Relic.

Lyng

Do you hate life? Played Bruges at the weekend & it fell completely flat with all four of us playing it for the first time.

Castles of Burgundy.

haha what? just because you guys didnt like it doesnt make it a bad game.
I would recommend In the year of the dragon.

If you dont care about the game beeing ugly then CoB is good.

I picked up Marvel Legendary Villains and had a pretty good time with it. The balance between the cards seems a little bit off, and I can't tell if my set is just missing cards or not.
I also picked up Splendor, which is really fun. It's actually pretty challenging and the production value on that game is ridiculous.

Slacker

My copy (of Quantum) had grimy and slightly misshapen dice, which is my only complaint. After an hour cleaning them, some sets were still a little sticky. The two cleanest sets even left a slight oily residue on the boards (any tips on cleaning boards without damaging them--just dry wipe?). These two were so stuck I had to force them apart:

I submitted my request for replacements. Hope they arrive soon. Otherwise, the components are very nice. I dig the art and flavor a lot.
My dice were grimy too (not so much misshappen fortunately). I doused them with goo gone and dish soap and they feel ok now. Definitely disappointing that they screwed up the main component of the game though, especially when everything else looks so great.

Browny

Banned
Would you recommend Relic to a current Talisman player? I play Talisman with my wife and buddy and we all love the game. I'm a fan of the WH40K universe so I've always been eyeing Relic.

I'm the same, so from one play - yes. But with the caveat that you'll probably want Nemesis. Although I haven't got Nemesis, you know what I mean!

Yeah, Quantum looked really neat, I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's so weird about those dice, though. Of all the things a manufacturer might get wrong, it's the super-common gaming component that gets messed up?

What did you not like about those? And any other Feld game you played?

(asking to see what you might like instead)

I was put off by the abstractness of everything and nothing made any sense. So all these arbitrary rules that don't make any sense neither thematically nor mechanically, everything is full of exceptions and contrived for the sake of just being contrived. I know all BG are full of arbitrary rules, but these seem to be even more extreme.

Compare with something like Agricola or Twilight Struggle where the mechanics make sense and are very simple.

Decided to back Antidote on Kickstarter. Seems like it could be fun. Plus, since it is funded, I'm not too worried about getting burned.

Blizzard

Banned
Dream Heist (formerly Inceptor) has continued making progress. It looks like maybe 2 months until they start shipping the finished product. It's interesting to see the process of manufacturing a board game. Latest update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/455211959/inceptor-the-game-of-your-dreams/posts/919238

The proof they were sent to verify the board layout:
758ea63fbec8b9dbfbd0do7dpx.jpg

daevv

I've been thinking about pre-ordering Imperial Settlers for a Gen Con pickup. Looks like a cross between 7 Wonders and Agricola. We like Robinson Crusoe and The Dice Tower video was convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRJrjU9tvVY

I already have Coup+expansion, Doomtown: Reloaded, and the Patherfinder Adventure Card Game Pirates Baseset readied for Gen Con Pickup.

I've been thinking about pre-ordering Imperial Settlers for a Gen Con pickup. Looks like a cross between 7 Wonders and Agricola. We like Robinson Crusoe and The Dice Tower video was convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRJrjU9tvVY

I already have Coup+expansion, Doomtown: Reloaded, and the Patherfinder Adventure Card Game Pirates Baseset readied for Gen Con Pickup.
Imperial Settlers actually borrows heavily from the 51St State system. It looks like it might make the game easier to play, which is a good thing. I have grown to really like the 51St State games (The New Era especially) but the rules are garbage and the gameplay is dense. Personally, I'm looking forward to Imperial Settlers.

fenners

Decided to back Antidote on Kickstarter. Seems like it could be fun. Plus, since it is funded, I'm not too worried about getting burned.

If a kickstarter fails to hit its goal, no-one is charged & you risk/lose nothing. If it hits the goal & goes into production, that's when the risk begins :) Up Front hit its target. Glory To Rome hit its target. Odin's Ravens hit its target.

Guys Valley of the Kings is really, really good. I played it with the wife last night and I can't wait to play it with more people. If you have any interest in deck building games you should check it out. Also it's less than 20 bucks.

Karkador

Banned
I played Wurfel Bohnanza last night, which is a dice game based on Bohnanza.

....No, wait, come back! Yes, I played a Bohnanza game in 2014, and...

It was a really interesting and engaging game! Regular Bohnanza is way too long and overstays its welcome, but this game does some really clever things with the Yahtzee formula, and stays really engaging for all players through the entire game.
Why isn't this out in the US?!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have like ten people at work I order NR datapacks for every month so no more worrying about hitting shipping anymore--feels goodman.

Martian

I used to be kind of a stickler about that, too. But I put them in poster frames that I pick up en masse during Aaron Bros. penny sales. Plus I can hang them, and maps always look nice on the wall.

IMG_0571.jpg

Whats that map from on the left? That looks like an interesting setting for a board game (as in crusades).

Also: is the Catan boardgame on PC any good? I would love to play that game, but not many people are interested in board games in my vicinity.

Experien

New Kickstarter popped up that I am quite curious about, Quiver Gaming Mats. Are there other places to get large mats like this? They are considering the space design on bigger mats.

I'd love to have one of these for X-Wing and all other games but wondering if I could get something similar and soon.

Phthisis

Whats that map from on the left? That looks like an interesting setting for a board game (as in crusades).

It is. It's called Kingdom of Heaven (also from MMP). It's awesome. It's a strategic CDG in the vein of something like We The People, Paths of Glory, The Napoleonic Wars, etc. It has a whole system for diplomacy with neutral factions, you can capture (and ransom) your opponent's leaders, and it has a fully fleshed out siege mechanic. It comes with something like 12 scenarios, I want to say; First Crusade all the way to the Mongol invasion.

I should really play it more. Card art is gorgeous.

joelseph

Arcane Wonders put up 250 copies of Sheriff of Nottingham for GenCon pickup. Game ships October. It's a reskin of a german party game. It's my most anticipated game of the con. Less than a month!!!

Neverfade

Getting your order to a $100 minimum seems counter intuitive to this!

Piecemeal is more expensive, Amazon or not. 17 bucks is also the perfect price to throw in an order to hit the threshold. 100 bucks all spent on games is way more appealing to me than 100 plus shipping or even 120+ for the same games shipped free through Amazon.

sasimirobot

Played my first game of Lifeboats today. Pretty fun, but I think 3 is not enough, want to try with 5 at least. Looks like a good drinking game, aka my favorite type of game! Also ordered
Mr. Jack in New York, will update after I play a few games...

Neverfade

Love Letter/Lost Legacy fans: Go ahead and add Seventh Hero to your shopping carts. No need to research it, just do it, and thank me later.

Opiate

I've been playing more board games recently, as my current girlfriend enjoys them. Lords of Waterdeep, Terra Mystica, and Agricola are favorites.

Also, the guy who makes Viticulture/Euphloria is in my board game group.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
My friend picked up Leviathans and added it to our selection. Really, really impressive unboxing with that one. Some fantastic art, 2 novellas, Insane figures, two textured, reversable map boards, 2 rulebooks... it is crazy. Reading that rulebook though....WOW. We haven't even tried to play it yet.

DSC_1099.JPG

Leviathans.jpg

Not my pics :p

My friend picked up Leviathans and added it to our selection. Really, really impressive unboxing with that one. Some fantastic art, 2 novellas, Insane figures, two textured, reversable map boards, 2 rulebooks... it is crazy. Reading that rulebook though....WOW. We haven't even tried to play it yet.

DSC_1099.JPG

Leviathans.jpg

Not my pics :p
Wow looks awesome.

joelseph

Keep us updated when you do play it. I have always been intrigued by this game.

Leviathans looked like it was going to be a big deal at gencon when it debuted but nothing's really come of it. Are they even still releasing new ships?

Leviathans looked like it was going to be a big deal at gencon when it debuted but nothing's really come of it. Are they even still releasing new ships?

No, Catalyst has posted about their difficulties with the product and kinda not knowing even what to do with it. There was talks of a kickstarter relaunch possibly. The game took several years to get off the ground and cost too much apparently up front, so they have had a hard time continuing the product line which needed to sell big time.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yea they just posted about it recently on the site:

Leviathans Update
Been a number of months since the last update as we’ve continued to investigate how to proceed with Leviathans. And the conclusions we’ve come to at this stage is there simply isn’t a short-term fix.

It’s a multi-faceted problem:

First, new CADs/renders of every ship are required. The company that previously produced the miniatures also generated the CAD/render work for us and they won’t turn those over. So not only is that a re-investment into the game again, but until very recently it was expertise we’d spent literally years trying to achieve with little to no luck.

Second, new molds are required. Once again, the company that produced the miniatures won’t give over the molds. So we have to invest into new molds. And molds like these can be $4k for a single ship.

Finally, the big box presentation simply didn’t work over-all. Yes, we sold through everything, which is fantastic! But it was a relatively small print run and the cost of the box to produce vs. how much we make leaves little on the table; not to mention how long it took to publish the first time around and it really only covered itself.

What’s more, the big box is intimidating in size and price, acting as a barrier to new players, while game stores have mentioned struggling to find a location to carry more than a single box. Hence why I previously mentioned we’re still heavily looking at a Star Wars: X-Wing and Wings of Glory model (though all the above still applies even in a new presentation).

All of those elements we’re trying to juggle and at the end of the day it comes down to two things:

1. We could print 5 to 8 boxed games of various type and size for the investment into trying to just re-launch Leviathans.

2. At the current time we still don’t have the expertise to render the miniatures ourselves and ensure the company we’re working with won’t hold molds (or even the game, as happened) hostage.

Where does that leave us? It leaves Catalyst still completely committed to Leviathans. We absolutely love this universe and the game and feel it can and will find an audience. But to solve the two primary issues above, we simply have to take longer to get it out then we wanted.

First, by getting out those 5 to 8 boxed games above we can broaden the company’s footprint and build up the necessary warchest to then move up to a “next level” commitment like what Leviathans requires.

Second, and by far most importantly, we’ve recently begun working with Green Brier Games to produce miniatures, with renders done in conjunction with Catalyst and totally under our control. As well as using their expertise to help us walk through the production process on miniatures from start to finish.

I just outlined this in a huge way in an update about Sprawl Gangers, our Shadowrun miniatures game. In there I talk about how we’re currently working on “Shadowrun RPG Miniatures”, releasing a pack of 5 miniatures at a time. A grand experiment to ensure that the quality vs. quantity vs. investment vs. experience/expertise all works out. This will lay the groundwork for us to being able to fully move into Sprawl Gangers.

However, it will also allow us to fully move on Leviathans as well. As for a time frame…I’ve got a tentative pencil of “summer 2015” for a new launch of Leviathans with new factions, the rulebook as a stand along book, and a whole bunch of other cool ideas. However, there’s a lot of work between now and then.

I completely understand if some of you decide that enough is enough and you don’t want to stick around any more. Regardless of our failure to further support the line, we put out a fantastically fun game and a cool universe and we’re incredibly proud of the game you can still play as often as you like.

For those willing to be patience still, I hope very much to see additional factions and their cool ships and abilities reaching gaming tables at some point in the future.

Thanks for your continued support and enthusiasm! We Freed Taiwan once…I expect to do it again….

Randall

That was last month. I am going to try to get it on the table maybe tonight, this weekend at the latest to see how it is. Like I said, the quality of everything in the box is outstanding and the game looks really, really deep. Much more so than something like X-Wing but the simplicity and low cost of entry probably why it is a success while something like Leviathans is struggling. Looks like something we will get into though and If I like it I will for sure get a base set for myself. I can see this going out of print and prices skyrocketing.

Phthisis

I've been playing more board games recently, as my current girlfriend enjoys them. Lords of Waterdeep, Terra Mystica, and Agricola are favorites.

Also, the guy who makes Viticulture/Euphloria is in my board game group.

That's awesome. My girlfriend is like a huge Stonemaier Games fangirl.

Top Bottom