• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Neverfade

Consolidating all aspects of the game into a single card type is one of the best things of GtR. Strike one.

No lead and follow mechanic in Uchronia. Strike two.

Tiny original ticket to ride size cards. Strike three.

Karkador

Banned
Consolidating all aspects of the game into a single card type is one of the best things of GtR. Strike one.

No lead and follow mechanic in Uchronia. Strike two.

Tiny original ticket to ride size cards. Strike three.

Oh, that would be a very significant difference.

I gotta really see the games side by side

joelseph

My buddies custom BSG board. I've been told the last expansion is being added for our Extra Life event this year. I have burnt out on BSG over the years but I can still be convinced to play a quick game on this beauty.

80mKkE2.jpg

omlet

My buddies custom BSG board. I've been told the last expansion is being added for our Extra Life event this year. I have burnt out on BSG over the years but I can still be convinced to play a quick game on this beauty.

Ha ha ha.

(Nice board. Do you usually play with all the expansion components/rules?)

omlet

Yeah, we normally don't play with Caprica stuff, either, or Cylon Fleet board, but depending on the number of players we sometimes use Leaders.

Slacker

Funny to pop in to the thread and see all the BSG talk; my group played our very first game of it last night. It's been sitting on my shelf for over a year but we almost always have four players at the table so I kept putting it off until we had five. It was awesome, of course. Accusations flying the whole time. One Cylon revealed himself soon after the sleeper phase, but the other one was a very good liar. I was President Roslin and ended up getting thrown in the brig by the true Cylon, and he had everyone convinced it was me. That I didn't reveal myself and resurrect wasn't a sign that I was a human, but rather that I was cleverly playing the long game. I was still in the brig with the ship ran out of fuel right before we were to make our final jump. We fight 'em until we can't. :(

Such greatness. I do wish it was just a tiny bit shorter but otherwise it's near perfection. I can't wait to play again.

I also have the Exodus expansion. The rules mentioned it being intended to be an all or nothing expansion, but it sounds like people go modular anyway? Any suggestions on what to add for newbies who don't want to complicate the game too much?

Yeah, we normally don't play with Caprica stuff, either, or Cylon Fleet board, but depending on the number of players we sometimes use Leaders.
I love the Cylon Fleet board. It fixed one of the issues I had with the base game. With the base game there can stretches of the game where there isn't much to do. The Cylon Fleet board make the enemies jump in more frequently.

omlet

I also have the Exodus expansion. The rules mentioned it being intended to be an all or nothing expansion, but it sounds like people go modular anyway? Any suggestions on what to add for newbies who don't want to complicate the game too much?

I wish I could give you a good answer but I don't own the game so I'm not really sure which pieces my group usually uses are from which expansions...

I love the Cylon Fleet board. It fixed one of the issues I had with the base game. With the base game there can stretches of the game where there isn't much to do. The Cylon Fleet board make the enemies jump in more frequently.

The problem my group has with the fleet board is that it's actually pretty predictable. In a way it gives revealed Cylons some more power, yeah, but on the other hand the human players can basically build up jump prep, wait for the fleet board to move over, then just jump away early (the pop risk is usually worth it).

Yeah, using the ambush cards can lead to more downtime (and I play a pilot character whenever I can, so trust me I know... last game I was human Boomer and in 30-something turns the game ran, only two cylon attack crisis cards appeared, and one of them I buried with my once-per-turn ability...it was a slow day for piloting), but they fit the theme well (unpredictable) and can help throw things into chaos at just the right moments. I am happy to play with the board because I like playing pilots and the fleet board gives me more to do, but humans won most of our games when we used the fleet board so we went back to not using it recently (who knows, maybe we'll go back to using it after a few games if there's a win streak).

joelseph

I am waiting on Great Heartland Hauling Co. Ordered through Game Salute at the beginning of May against my better judgement. Still listed as Preorder and neither Game Salute or Dice Hate me will return my communications..

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Am I the only one waiting on Impulse to ship?

Most certainly not. Off of fades recommendation, I watched a video and it looks pretty good.

Vlaada is still the best

We played a 4 player Eclipse last night. We have only played a handful of games and all of us need to learn how to turn military power into VP lol. I had the might but couldn't really convert it. That traitor token didn't help much either D:

It was basically the same thing that happened when I won a couple weeks ago. One player was way ahead military wise, and I actually thought I was kinda screwed but unknown even to me I had way more VP than everyone else. All 3 of my tech tracks were full or close to it and I just had a bunch of hexes under my control.

Slacker

Anyone try Carcassonne: Hills and Sheep yet? I didn't get a chance to play it with people last night but it looks pretty entertaining. The sheep add a simple press-your-luck style scoring element, the hills help players win contested features, and the vineyards make cloisters more valuable. Overall it seems like a worthy addon. It'll be first to the table next game night.

Edit: Speaking of Eclipse does the expansion mitigate the starting location issue enough that playing with five players is better now?

Karkador

Banned
I played Istanbul last night. I liked it, but the "introductory game" setup feels pretty easy. I'm always suspicious of a game I win. I can see other types of setups being more challenging, though.

Apenheul

I've only ever played one introductory game of X Wing miniatures but I'm going to play at a local store championship in two weeks. I hardly make a chance but at least I can play the damn game :)

Just an update to everyone that very nicely helped me out... it's my birthday on Monday so I put a few of the suggestions on here on my birthday list and I'm hoping to get started on this as a new hobby. I requests/suggested:

Pandemic
Lord of the Rings (Co-op one, suggested to me.)
Carcassonne

Alongside my other random gaming stuff. So we'll see what I end up with - thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. I'm sure I'll be back!

Karkador

Banned
Just an update to everyone that very nicely helped me out... it's my birthday on Monday so I put a few of the suggestions on here on my birthday list and I'm hoping to get started on this as a new hobby. I requests/suggested:

Pandemic
Lord of the Rings (Co-op one, suggested to me.)
Carcassonne

Alongside my other random gaming stuff. So we'll see what I end up with - thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. I'm sure I'll be back!

Awesome, those are three good choices! I hope to see you back to talk about your new games!

Experien

I've only ever played one introductory game of X Wing miniatures but I'm going to play at a local store championship in two weeks. I hardly make a chance but at least I can play the damn game :)

I feel that pain, you ever see if there are any MeetUp's in your area dedicated to X-Wing?

Neverfade

This. Regardless if its predictable, its a constant, steady pressure that keeps games interesting. Drawing ambush after ambush card in base game is no fun. Drawing no ambush cards is no fun. Shit like that needs to be mitigated so I don't waste my time with a 2-2.5 hour game that was never going to be fun or interesting for anyone to begin with.

Icefire1424

Now that's commitment. Besides, it wouldn't be very Star Wars-ish if you were actually prepared for a battle beforehand.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Mikhal

Just a heads up. There's 3 hours left in the Yomi Kickstarter and they just reached all their stretch goals. I ended up pledging $200 for all 20 decks (plus the 2 bonus Panda decks) and planning on splitting it up with a few buddies.

Just a heads up. There's 3 hours left in the Yomi Kickstarter and they just reached all their stretch goals. I ended up pledging $200 for all 20 decks (plus the 2 bonus Panda decks) and planning on splitting it up with a few buddies.

I've always been interested in Yomi but it's crazy expensive and he is a known asshole. Not supporting that.

Mikhal

I hear ya on the shitty distribution policies. Partly why I never bought the physical version until now even though I loved playing it on their site. I'm a huge fan of fighting games though and I'm unaware of anything similar to Yomi.

Phthisis

He and game salute are the worst. Fuck these guys. Why can't everyone be like DoW, FF or pandasaurus ;).

For sure. I would also include GMT on that list. They are incredibly community oriented, and their P500 system is not only genius for them, but it allows the people who have the most interest in their games to pre-order them at a substantial discount.

Apenheul

I feel that pain, you ever see if there are any MeetUp's in your area dedicated to X-Wing?
Now that's commitment. Besides, it wouldn't be very Star Wars-ish if you were actually prepared for a battle beforehand.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks guys, from the store owner I heard that about 30 kilometers from my place is a meetup for Warhammer 40k where X Wing kind of has taken over. I'll very likely meet those people at the store championship because 13 of them signed up for it. Looking forward to it.

Browny

Banned
Finally got round to having a game of Relic last night. Those of you who've played Talisman will be better in understanding some of the comparisons I'm about to make...

The rules are very easy to pick up - after about ten minutes, we didn't have to refer to the rulebook again until someone died. It flows nice and quickly - with 4 of us, we finished in 2 and 1/2 hours.

Comparisons:

No player v player combat. This is a key element of Talisman - the point is to screw over other people so they can't chase you as effectively in the Inner Region. This means that it's more of a racing game than a tactical game. FFG make reference to no PvP in the rules (since the characters are all part of the same faction), and have said they will be rectifying this in an expansion; it's in Nemesis.

The Inner Region comes across as a way of wearing your resources down, as opposed to testing you. So the race is compounded with the goal of increasing all of your stats to the maximum (whereas in Talisman you could concentrate on one or two, such as Strength and Lives).

Overall:

The packaging and presentation is top notch - I'm looking forward to finding a couple of hours to paint up the character pieces. As mentioned above, the rules are nice and easy to follow. And yes, we will be playing again, there's a decent amount of repeat play in there - this will improve tenfold with a copy of Nemesis to get the PvP and new cards.

Lyng

That one looks very interesting! My initial thought is that it is sort of like Yomi but with the footsies/spacing mechanic of Flash Duel tossed in. Looks like I missed out on the Kickstarter for BattleCON: War Remastered, but I definitely want to check it out when it comes out. Thanks for the heads up!

No problem :)

My favourite board game reviewer has a nice written review here of it:

http://thurot.com/2013/12/12/devastation-of-indines/

Icefire1424

Anyone try out the Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG? Keep hearing about it, but in all honesty, having some difficulty grasping the concept of exactly what it is. My assumption is that it's D&D-esque from a mechanics standpoint, but really wasn't sure.

Also placing my CSI order this week, still on the fence between Thunderbolt Apache Leader, Unconditional Surrender; WW2 in Europe, or Claustrophobia (with Pandemic thrown in there as well).

I'm thinking Thunderbolt will get the nod since I've definitely been solo'ing more often than not, probably would be fun to have at least one dedicated solitaire game, although I hear Unconditional Surrender plays well solo too. Decisions, decisions.

Anyone try out the Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG? Keep hearing about it, but in all honesty, having some difficulty grasping the concept of exactly what it is. My assumption is that it's D&D-esque from a mechanics standpoint, but really wasn't sure.

Its a pen and paper rpg kinda like DnD though far far less complex. It's a more narrative based rpg. Game uses a more abstract dice rolling system where a game master has to interpret special dice symbols to come up with what happens, instead of the more mechanical reactions of what happens in DnD. It's a more streamlined and simple system than something like DnD

Icefire1424

Its a pen and paper rpg kinda like DnD though far far less complex. It's a more narrative based rpg. Game uses a more abstract dice rolling system where a game master has to interpret special dice symbols to come up with what happens, instead of the more mechanical reactions of what happens in DnD. It's a more streamlined and simple system than something like DnD

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Seemed interesting anyways, but have a feeling it would be a tough sell to get onto the table for anything less than some serious SW fans.

So Flash Point's latest kickstarter expansion is called "Call of Duty". Wonder what the actually name will be once they're forced to change that.

Still, not opposed to more maps!

I waited a long while to check out Battlelore 2nd edition. I'm a fan of the C&C series but this just about fixes all the things that were tedious (to me, you mileage will vary) with Ancients, and gives a deeper, more engaged feeling, than Memoir can.

The focus on points via capture points really keeps the conflict going back and forth. And without a huge penalty for losing units you're more inclined to brawl it out with your opponent rather than slowly advancing. I feel I could list a bunch more things I love about it but it solved the biggest problem I had, and that was the scenario setup, which now turns setup into part of the gameplay.

omlet

That one looks very interesting! My initial thought is that it is sort of like Yomi but with the footsies/spacing mechanic of Flash Duel tossed in. Looks like I missed out on the Kickstarter for BattleCON: War Remastered, but I definitely want to check it out when it comes out. Thanks for the heads up!

I got a chance to play BattleCON for the first time this month and... I liked it more than I expected to. Only played 2 or 3 rounds, but enough to get a feel for it. The mechanics are not that hard to pick up but there is a lot of meat in actually playing because game mimics the footsies/mindgames/anticipation part of VGFG quite well and the characters play quite differently; I was impressed. I don't think it's something I'd buy because I don't think my game group would care for it (even if I had enough extra playmats to run multiple games at once), but it was pretty neat. If you have people who would play it with you definitely check it out.

Phthisis

I picked up King Philip's War from MMP this week because it looked quite interesting, and because it featured a conflict I knew very little about (what better way to learn about history than with a fun two player game?). Sadly, the whole war was pretty unfortunate and a dark period in North American history. I also knew next to nothing about the game other than that it was a point-to-point strategic game that featured a custom die that modified combats between the Native Americans and British colonists.

Beautiful components (my favorite being the map, which is very nice):

IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

Looks fun. Rulebook is relatively small, and the box says low complexity (not that I shy away from complexity). Excited to get it to the table

alazz

Quantum is very satisfying, very tactical. Played three games tonight and can't wait for more. My dad and my sister enjoyed it, which is wonderful. Tomorrow we're going to play a 3-player. On Monday I'm having a game night, so hopefully we'll play it with 4.

The simplicity is just brilliant. It all just works in a way such that you end up with these amazing combos that can turn1 Action Point into something that'd normally take 2 or more. I mean, it really nails the whole quantum theme (anything can be everything). Be that aggressive, passive, sneaky, rush-research, whatever. The fact that losing ships doesn't take you out of the game is great as well.

My dad did well and had 5 AP per turn during our first game. Then we played the 3x3 layout with the two corners removed, and I played aggressively with the white card that lets me re-roll attacks/defenses and that led to a quick yet intense victory for me. My sister was just sneaky on the basic 3x3, using 2's and 5's to get around the map quickly and avoid my attempted attacks altogether.

My copy had grimy and slightly misshapen dice, which is my only complaint. After an hour cleaning them, some sets were still a little sticky. The two cleanest sets even left a slight oily residue on the boards (any tips on cleaning boards without damaging them--just dry wipe?). These two were so stuck I had to force them apart:
I submitted my request for replacements. Hope they arrive soon. Otherwise, the components are very nice. I dig the art and flavor a lot.

Karkador

Banned
Yeah, Quantum looked really neat, I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's so weird about those dice, though. Of all the things a manufacturer might get wrong, it's the super-common gaming component that gets messed up?

So, if I were to give Feld another chance, which game should I try?

Luna and The Speicherstadt are out of the question.

What did you not like about those? And any other Feld game you played?

(asking to see what you might like instead)

Top Bottom