• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

EYEL1NER

I'm considering picking up a game in Cryptozoic's Cerberus System after playing their DC deck-building with friends, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for which variant I should pick up? I like the DC version from what I've played, but I'd like to give the Street Fighter one a shot, too. And I know that the Lord of the Rings ones are the cheapest, but I don't know if they're any good. Does anyone here have any favorites? Thanks!
I like the DC Deckbuilding game and I am someone who doesn't have THAT much affinity for DC (have always been a Marvel fanboy). I think the DC line is the one with the most positive impressions and reviews but that might owe a bit to it being the most widely available and most played of the Cerberus Engine games. It certainly gets the most support from Cryptozoic. I think there were rumors of a second Street Fighter game but the first didn't do well and things fell through (someone on BGG was working on a custom Darkstalkers expansion though). I do own the Street Fighter game but have never played it. I've played the first DC game only once but enjoyed it a lot and feel like I could recommend it (because after all, it is a standard deckbuilding game, if you've played one and liked it, it is easy to know if you would like others).
I own the first DC game along with the Martian Manhunter and Starfire promos, the first Crisis expansion, would like to buy the second game since I love Booster Gold, and own the Street Fighter game with Blanka promo. I will pick up more DC eventually but probably wouldn't get any other game; I'm not a fan of Cryptozoic in general and do not care for the LotR liscensed movie images. Something I do not care for about the Cerberus Engine games as whole is that they don't integrate that well. You can mix them but different games will have some different mechanics or rules that cause some clashes. Even the DC games aren't designed as expansions to one another, they are new base games that can be combined but some of the base games are harder or easier than the others.
The LotR games get cheap at times though and were clearanced out at a low price at Barnes and Noble a while back.

Zubz

Banned
i haven't played any of the others, but I am tempted by the naruto, the cartoon network, and the future attack on titan ones lol.

Huh. Didn't know they were planning an Attack on Titan one. I was already stuck between DC (Both the original set and the super villain-themed one), Street Fighter, and LotR (I'm not super into the series, but I like it enough, and it's the cheapest), but now that one's going to start tempting me, too.

I like the DC Deckbuilding game and I am someone who doesn't have THAT much affinity for DC (have always been a Marvel fanboy). I think the DC line is the one with the most positive impressions and reviews but that might owe a bit to it being the most widely available and most played of the Cerberus Engine games. It certainly gets the most support from Cryptozoic. I think there were rumors of a second Street Fighter game but the first didn't do well and things fell through (someone on BGG was working on a custom Darkstalkers expansion though). I do own the Street Fighter game but have never played it. I've played the first DC game only once but enjoyed it a lot and feel like I could recommend it (because after all, it is a standard deckbuilding game, if you've played one and liked it, it is easy to know if you would like others).
I own the first DC game along with the Martian Manhunter and Starfire promos, the first Crisis expansion, would like to buy the second game since I love Booster Gold, and own the Street Fighter game with Blanka promo. I will pick up more DC eventually but probably wouldn't get any other game; I'm not a fan of Cryptozoic in general and do not care for the LotR liscensed movie images.
The LotR games get chela at times though and were cleared at a low price at Barnes and Noble a while back.

How long ago did the Street Fighter one come out? If there's any chance that buying the Street Fighter set will give a second set/Darkstalkers set a greater chance of getting made, I think I might be locked in.

EYEL1NER

How long ago did the Street Fighter one come out? If there's any chance that buying the Street Fighter set will give a second set/Darkstalkers set a greater chance of getting made, I think I might be locked in.
Street Fighter came out in 2014.
Here is a thread from BGG about expansion wishes: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1429182/heres-hoping-expasion-wishes
In the thread, someone linked to this press release from 2012 saying that there were Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, and Rival Schools released planned: https://www.cryptozoic.com/articles/cryptozoic-announces-capcom-deck-building-game
However, that same person posted a bit after that saying he asked Cryptozoic on Twitter about further expansions or releases and they said there were no longer any plans for more Capcom content, the line was cancelled like The Hobbit line that didn't finish. He posted the link to the tweet which currently goes to a page that doesn't exist (I did view the tweet back when he posted it though): https://mobile.twitter.com/realadambishop/status/643818414520320000

So I wouldn't hold onto any hope that purchasing the game would help bring about an expansion.
Someone did post this in the files page though: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/103112/darkstalkers-mini-expansion
It is a custom Darkstalkers expansions with new characters, Ultras, and stages to mix into the Street Fighter game. I've yet to ever try getting custom cards for any game printed anywhere (and don't care to do PnP low-quality stuff for personal use) so I don't have them and I can't unzip the file on my phone to see what the quality of the custom cards is. If they look good though, that is certainly an option for you, getting them printed up.

EYEL1NER

A couple nights ago I saw someone in OT post about how much it sucked to have fraudulent charges on their bank card, I read the OP and a bit of the thread and thought 'yeah, it does suck. I've had that happen, as well as full-on identity theft with fraudulent credit cards ordered, and my info was stolen in the big OPM breach last year or the year before. Pretty awful stuff,' and that was the end of my thoughts on it.
Fast forward to tonight, when I said I was going to go play Quarriors at the local store's board game night, and take Zombie Tower 3D to see if anyone wanted to play. I pick up my wife from work and remind her that I was going to play, so we run by a fast food joint to get dinner for her and our daughter. I try to pay and my card gets declined. Thinking nothing of it (because this bank's card gets declined at a couple places for whatever odd reason), I provide another bank's card and tell my wife "I'll check my account when I drop you off at home before I go to the game store." Of course I check my account and see $1000 worth of fraudulent transactions. So while the game night is supposed to be starting, I have to deal with calling my bank and cancelling my card, then getting my mom to go in and sign an affidavit stating that I didn't authorize the transactions (I no longer live in the same state as that bank), and more.

It left me feeling pretty bummed and by the time I was done, game night had been going on for 45 minutes. I ended up deciding not to go, got changed into some "lounge around the house" clothes, then decided that I was stressed and changed back so I could go play. I figured it would be good to unwind a bit and that Quarriors is a short game, so maybe they would be getting multiple games in before closing. I made it there and got in on the second and third game. The first game saw hardly no points getting on the board, as two of the players bought up as much dice as they could to prevent someone else's dice engine from getting started. The second game saw me winning by points. I'm glad I went because I felt a lot better after playing.
When they started talking about what they would play next week, I said "I've got a game that I've been wanting to bring in, not necessarily to take the place of an advertised Game Night game, but something we could play after something else. I can bring it in" and described Zombie Tower 3D to them. The people there decided they wanted to play it, so I'll be taking it in ahead of time so someone besides me can get familiar with the rules and we'll play on Tuesday. So for the people wanting impressions of the game, I'll post about it next week.

Xater

So that's a thing that happened:

I looked at the Spiel des Jahres nominations and just a couple of days later I bought Isle of Skye.

Taborcarn

So that's a thing that happened:

I looked at the Spiel des Jahres nominations and just a couple of days later I bought Isle of Skye.

I played this for the first time on ITTD. We had 5 and it was a lot of fun and still moved fairly quickly. The alternating scoring tiles mechanism is clever. Just make sure to use the correct side of the board if you have 5 people.

Amory

Hey all, first time posting in this thread.

My girlfriend and I both love the standard board games you see everywhere, and I was thinking it would be fun to get into something a little more complex.

I'm interested in any kind of story/subject really, but considering we'd both be pretty new at this it'd be good if the game weren't too too complicated. Most importantly, though, I'm looking for a game that is enjoyable with just two players.

Most of the basic board games I'm familiar with kind of suck with only 2 people, but A) I don't usually bring my friends together for board game parties, and B) I don't think my friends would be very interested in these types of games. I could be wrong, but I'd like to find something that 2 people can play and have a good time.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Karkador

Banned
Hey all, first time posting in this thread.

My girlfriend and I both love the standard board games you see everywhere, and I was thinking it would be fun to get into something a little more complex.

I'm interested in any kind of story/subject really, but considering we'd both be pretty new at this it'd be good if the game weren't too too complicated. Most importantly, though, I'm looking for a game that is enjoyable with just two players.

Most of the basic board games I'm familiar with kind of suck with only 2 people, but A) I don't usually bring my friends together for board game parties, and B) I don't think my friends would be very interested in these types of games. I could be wrong, but I'd like to find something that 2 people can play and have a good time.

Pandemic. It's a fantastic intro to modern board games, plays well with 2 (or more), very replayable, and is cooperative.

Spyware

Hey!
I discovered the wonderful world of board games pretty recently as well. When I did I totally splurged and will be spending this year going through a huge backlog. :p
I only play with my SO and have been playing one new game per week so far this year. The games we liked most were:

Mysterium - A huge success for us both. One player is a ghost who tries to tell a bunch of mediums who killed them, where it happened and with what "weapon". The problem is that the ghost can't speak. It can send "visions" in the form of pretty picture cards that the mediums have to interpret. It's probably a bit better with more people due to the talking between the mediums that happens but we had a great time with only two.

Pandemic/Forbidden Desert/Forbidden Island - Pandemic is already a classic and for a good reason. Easy to learn and fun to play. You play as a couple of scientists who has to go around and cure diseases. The Forbidden games are quite similar to it but with completely different playing fields and objectives.

Flashpoint: Another game a bit similar to Pandemic. Fire spreads in a building based on dice rolls. Save the living as a team of firefighters or burn to death in the collapsing houses :O

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game - This is sooo good. I just recently watched the Alien movies for the first time and then played the scenarios in this immediately after. We had such a great time! You collect cards to be able to fight the aliens together and the scenarios are based on the four movies. I do think an interest in the Alien franchise is required tho. The Predator version wasn't as fun so I can't really recommend that one. Really wanna play the Marvel one and I think that one will be great too, but based on what I've seen I believe Alien is the best one as long as you even remotely like at least one Alien-movie.

Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - You play as Sherlock's little helpers and try to solve different cases with the help of info you get from the paper, contacts and from people you "interview". This one is pretty hard if you try to "beat Sherlock" as you are supposed to. You can just play it for a good time and not bother with score and stuff if you feel it's too hard. The "gameplay" is really special and it's worth checking out just for that.

Others worth checking out:
Takenoko, Tokaido and Elder Sign.

Amory

Thanks for the suggestions! Amazon has Pandemic on the cheap (~$24) so I'm going to start with that.

I'm actually getting together with my family this weekend, so hopefully I can get a couple more to play if it's not too complicated.

I've always loved board games, but the worst thing is when you're trying to explain the rules to someone or a new group and they start rolling their eyes because it's "too complicated".

Fireblend

Banned
Pandemic is a pretty good first choice. It's not super easy to play and people may feel intimidated by it, but it's still far from complex and since it's cooperative nothing is stopping you from doing a bit of hand-holding with new players for the first few turns. You'll have a blast.

I would recommend Ticket to Ride (either the original or the Europe edition, which has slightly more complicated mechanics). The game board is super pretty, it's ridiculously easy to learn (more so than Pandemic) and it's tons of fun, although I usually play at least 3 player games, I could see it not being as fun as a 2p game.

I got Codenames in the mail about an hour ago, just in time for my work lunch break. We played a couple games and really enjoyed it! Can't wait to play more, there was low attendance today since some coworkers went out for sushi but we still managed to get to 6 people :p

Later tonight I organized a board game night with some of the coworkers I usually play with, so finally I'll be able to play some longer games like TtR, Smallworld, King of Tokyo and 7 Wonders with them. Since we only play during lunch, we're always restricted to Coup, Avalon, Love Letters and Sushi Go (and now Codenames!). It should be fun :D

Zubz

Banned
Pandemic. It's a fantastic intro to modern board games, plays well with 2 (or more), very replayable, and is cooperative.

Oooh, definitely Pandemic! My one friend got his wife into board games via Pandemic, so I think that's a good pick. Treasure Island's also a nice co-op board game for a couple to play together.

zulux21

I really can't see a reason to buy pandemic anymore.

just get pandemic legacy instead, you can play it like normal pandemic for as long as you want before starting the legacy part and then you can play the legacy stuff.

but that might just be me who can't help but feel that pandemic is a complete waste of shelf space now that I am halfway through legacy :p

Karkador

Banned

just get pandemic legacy instead, you can play it like normal pandemic for as long as you want before starting the legacy part and then you can play the legacy stuff.

but that might just be me who can't help but feel that pandemic is a complete waste of shelf space now that I am halfway through legacy :p

it's like almost 3x the price

Rookje

What are some games similar to Codenames? I like that game a lot and its the perfect party game for 4 people, especially people who don't play games normally.

zulux21

it's like almost 3x the price

and way more than 3x the content.

I mean if you don't mind double dipping and haven't played pandemic and need to find out if you would like it then sure go for the cheaper one.

but if you like pandemic and want to add it to your collecting just go straight for legacy. It really is just that much better than normal pandemic. So much stuff makes you question your every move, and plenty of things that you would just ignore in normal pandemic are suddenly important in legacy.

and while yes the base cost is a little less than 3 times as much, at the same time if you add in the pandemic expansions that will bring up the base game to have like half the content of legacy it will cost as much if not more than legacy.

I mean it's not like the base panedmic game is a bad game, it's a classic for a reason, but like I said I just don't see a point to own the original anymore.

What are some games similar to Codenames? I like that game a lot and its the perfect party game for 4 people, especially people who don't play games normally.

if you are looking for a solid party game for 4 people for people who don't play games normally, I have had great success with Dixit.

it's kind of like an art based version of apples to apples with a far better scoring system.

ultron87

I like having normal Pandemic just because I can take that out and play with anyone. If I was teaching someone the game I wouldn't want to take out my completed Legacy board that has all the stickers and stuff and just be like "okay, don't worry, you should ignore 90 percent of the stuff on the board and all the stickers on these cards and _____".

And for someone new to the hobby I'd definitely go with the regular version, and then get two other staple games for the cost you'd pay to get Legacy right now.

KiKaL

Yeah but that also means you need to get the same group together for every play. I don't think that is a great way to introduce someone to board gaming.

Also, Pandemic Legacy has extra travel paths that make the game easier.

As for suggestions, I would also recommend Pandemic. It's the game that got my wife and I into the hobby. We really like co-op games since we play a lot of games with just the two of us. Other games that would be worth checking out are Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, Forbidden Desert and Hanabi.

zulux21

I like having normal Pandemic just because I can take that out and play with anyone. If I was teaching someone the game I wouldn't want to take out my completed Legacy board that has all the stickers and stuff and just be like "okay, don't worry, you should ignore 90 percent of the stuff on the board and all the stickers on these cards and _____".

And for someone new to the hobby I'd definitely go with the regular version, and then get two other staple games for the cost you'd pay to get Legacy right now.

I wouldn't pull out a complete game of legacy either :p
I was saying just play the unstarted version of legacy until you want more.

I mean after I finish legacy I really don't see myself touching pandemic again for a really long time.

I mean if money is a huge issue then fair enough. but to me it's like buying a virtual boy when you could instead get a ps4 for a little bit more :p

Yeah but that also means you need to get the same group together for every play. I don't think that is a great way to introduce someone to board gaming.

Also, Pandemic Legacy has extra travel paths that make the game easier.

you don't remotely need the same group together.
i mean if you want them to experience everything possible sure, but you can easily miss months and just need a quick update on what changed.

but again. not saying play legacy as a new player. saying just get legacy and play regular pandemic with it until you are ready for legacy as it just offers that much more value for the price. to each their own.

really if your interest is just in playing regular pandemic screw the board game all together, just get the app. it's cheaper still and a solid version of the game.

I mean, I doubt my version of pandemic will ever get played again by me. I really should just get around to selling it because it is a complete waste of space. a game like forbidden island or forbidden desert is a way better introduction to the genre anyways.

Amory

I mean, I doubt my version of pandemic will ever get played again by me. I really should just get around to selling it because it is a complete waste of space. a game like forbidden island or forbidden desert is a way better introduction to the genre anyways.

care to sell it to me? :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey folks,

Thanks for the 5p recs earlier--super useful and we played several of them. New request now--good games for 7+ players that are not necessarily pure social deduction.

Here's what I have so far:
-7 Wonders
-Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
-Codenames
-Bang! the Dice Game
-Shadows over Camelot

Anything I'm missing? Especially newer stuff....

Karkador

Banned
Yeah, what ultron said. Legacy is fun and all, but I'd argue it's more of a game for Pandemic fans than for people just getting into boardgames.

I would also say the content comparison is hard to make fairly. Legacy has a lot of small additions, but many of them only make sense in the context of the whole experience, and some are honestly just not great (but you have to do them anyway). The On the Brink expansion isn't exactly short on content, either - it adds a lot of new stuff.

But Pandemic is less about "content" and more about the game going in different ways every time you play. I think there's a lot to see and try in barebones Pandemic before adding in a bunch of other wrinkles.

ultron87

The various Cards Against Humanity/Apples to Apples-likes are good for 7+.

In that category I really like Snake Oil, Monikers, and Billionaire Banshee.

Citadels is good and is only a bit social deduction.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The various Cards Against Humanity/Apples to Apples-likes are good for 7+.

In that category I really like Snake Oil, Monikers, and Billionaire Banshee.

Citadels is good and is only a bit social deduction.

Yeah I'm not totally against social deduction, more just trying to avoid pure Werewolf games. I love Citadels although it does run a bit long with 7.

zulux21

Hey folks,

Thanks for the 5p recs earlier--super useful and we played several of them. New request now--good games for 7+ players that are not necessarily pure social deduction.

-7 Wonders
-Codenames
-Bang! the Dice Game
-Shadows over Camelot

my group enjoyed red dragon inn, but you would need to get at least two different copies of it to play with 7+ (each number has 4 characters you can play as many people as you have characters)

the resistance or avalon is another good game for 7+ as it's pretty quick and is partially a social deduction but at the same time can typically be mostly logiced out even without any social clues.

one version of dixit can be played with 7+ people but I have never tried it with more than 6 players.

Palmer_v1

Hey folks,

-7 Wonders
-Codenames
-Bang! the Dice Game
-Shadows over Camelot

For large groups, my absolute best suggestion is Telestrations. The normal version goes to 8, but honestly just buy the party edition cause it's exactly the same, but plays up to 12. It's a combination of pictionary and the telephone game, where you have to either draw a word/phrase that is handed to you, or you have to guess the word/phrase based on the drawing. Then you pass it on to the next person and repeat until you have your dry erase flipbook back. Then laugh at how the simplest concepts get deeply distorted.

For example, the word "kidney bean" ended up as "Man getting kicked in the balls" recently.

I'd call it a Party Game rather than a board game, but once you're past like 6 players, your options are pretty limited.

I'd also suggest:

Masquerade
Dixit(i think it plays 7+)

Everything else I can think of is pretty much strictly social deduction/deception.

Edit: If we had that many people who wanted to play actual board games, we'd probably just split into two groups.

Noaloha

For anyone that might be curious to check it out, I thought I'd link a silly little thing I spent the last two evenings messing with.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZrJGAFajrfGxdES81uF9rkh08fvHDLh1

It's a Let's Play of Arkham Horrror, with expansions Innsmouth and King In Yellow, using Tabletop Simulator (solo, 4 adventurers). This was purely experimental on my part, I've never done any sort of LP before, certainly never attempted live commentary over gameplay. It's a little awkward, or, at least, low energy? I don't know. Certainly isn't loud and abrasive. I'm not wholly familiar with Arkham Horror's rulesets, so there's a fair bit of me fumbling around and umming and ahhing. I thiiiink I handled most rules properly, but if not I'd love the clarifications.

I want to say it's a decent enough example of how Arkham plays solo, plus a fair representation of how one might use Tabletop Simulator to run a game. For these reasons alone I hope that linking it here might be useful to some. If you're of a mind to, please do give it a shot. Any and all critiques welcome.

Amory

Is Two Rooms and a Boom available to buy anywhere? Looks fun. Amazon doesn't have it and the official website only directs to Amazon.

No one appears to be selling it on ebay either.

I guess I could print out the pdf version

fenners

Can someone explain to me what the hell is up with this Food Chain Magnate game that is somehow $150 on miniature market???

It's a small print run game made by a small German team, printed in Germany. They're famous for their complicated Euro games, small print runs, and relatively straightforward components. You're paying MM's mark-up on top of their expensive base price.

Food Chain Magnate's absolutely awesome, one of my favourite games from the past year, but definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

It's a small print run game made by a small German team, printed in Germany. They're famous for their complicated Euro games, small print runs, and relatively straightforward components. You're paying MM's mark-up on top of their expensive base price.

Food Chain Magnate's absolutely awesome, one of my favourite games from the past year, but definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

Ok thanks. It looks cool but I think I'd have a hard time justifying $150 on a board game. I only bought Rebellion because of Star Wars haha.

Jakoo

I just got my Kickstarter-backer copy of Agility, which is a two player game about dog breeding by the same guy who developed Morels, the card game.

Anyone else pick this up? I'm busy with a move so I don't have time to learn it now but curious about any early impressions.

I got to play Deception. I thought I had enough deduction games but apparently I don't. This one is a good party game. Even though the theme made me think this would be another social deduction about lying and misleading it really is more about trying to figure out what the forensic scientist is trying to communicate with you. In that way it feels a bit more relaxed compared to a game like the resistance or one night ultimate werewolf, and you can play for a while without getting mentally exhausted.

EYEL1NER

Can someone explain to me what the hell is up with this Food Chain Magnate game that is somehow $150 on miniature market???
Haha, I saw it a couple days ago on CSI when it was briefly in-stock. They had the announcement of it coming back in-stock on the main page and I decided to view it after seeing it on the BGG Hotness list for a while and hearing people talk about it. The price popped up, I saw that it was something like $110, and I laughed and closed the tab. I spend too much on games as it is, I'm not gonna spend that much on just one. And if I was going to spend that much on just one game at a time, I would already own Cave Evil.

Blizzard

Banned
Hey folks,

7 Wonders works well of course, and simultaneous action helps with downtime.

I also kind of like Citadels as a small card game that supports 7 players, but people have to make up their minds quickly when choosing roles. Otherwise it takes a while.

What were your opinions of the 5-player games you tried?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
7 Wonders works well of course, and simultaneous action helps with downtime.

I also kind of like Citadels as a small card game that supports 7 players, but people have to make up their minds quickly when choosing roles. Otherwise it takes a while.

What were your opinions of the 5-player games you tried?
We played Hanabi, Shadows over Camelot, and Pandemic. All worked really well. Can't believe I forgot about Hanabi as it's probably my most-played game hahah. Shadows is a classic that really holds up imo.

Phthisis

Is Two Rooms and a Boom available to buy anywhere? Looks fun. Amazon doesn't have it and the official website only directs to Amazon.

No one appears to be selling it on ebay either.

I guess I could print out the pdf version

Honestly the production values of the game aren't amazing. You could easily make a comparable version with the print and play pdf and a stack of hard plastic baseball card sleeves. Would stand up better to wear and tear, too. That's how I played it the first time before the Kickstarter had been finished, and it was totally fine.

Castef

Banned
There goes the hope to be playing Potion Explosion anytime soon though...

Heh, as one of the authors I have not precise information about the shipping of the US edition. I know something may have happened with controls about the glass marbles in it, yet everything should be fine right now. It should be a matter of weeks before it appears in US shops.

Can't wait, actually. :)

Fireblend

Banned
Hosted a game night yesterday with some of my coworkers and their gfs/wives. We were 8 people total.

Played King of Tokyo when there were just 5 of us (I won, oddly enough) then played Ticket to Ride Europe (had to improvise a bit, we played 2 vs 2 vs 2 vs 1 vs 1 which worked out surprisingly well and was a lot of fun, and then thank god I got Codenames yesterday because we had an absolute blast playing that. My plan was to play 2 rounds of Codenames and then finish the night with 7 Wonders, but everyone loved Codenames so much we played like 6 rounds before people realized it was late and they had to go home.

Success! It's totally happening again :D

Hosted a game night yesterday with some of my coworkers and their gfs/wives. We were 8 people total.

Played King of Tokyo when there were just 5 of us (I won, oddly enough) then played Ticket to Ride Europe (had to improvise a bit, we played 2 vs 2 vs 2 vs 1 vs 1 which worked out surprisingly well and was a lot of fun, and then thank god I got Codenames yesterday because we had an absolute blast playing that. My plan was to play 2 rounds of Codenames and then finish the night with 7 Wonders, but everyone loved Codenames so much we played like 6 rounds before people realized it was late and they had to go home.

Success! It's totally happening again :D

A successful game night is a great feeling!

DagsJT

We didn't even get Codenames out for the last game night as we hadn't tried it before. Might give it a go tonight and see how it plays with two people at first.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My Monday (Memorial Day) game day has ballooned from a small gathering of ~5-6 to a relative bonanza with 12+ so I'll definitely be busting out the Codenames. :p

Also forgot that you can play on teams with normal games like TTR -- not a bad idea at all.

EYEL1NER

Heh, as one of the authors I have not precise information about the shipping of the US edition. I know something may have happened with controls about the glass marbles in it, yet everything should be fine right now. It should be a matter of weeks before it appears in US shops.

Can't wait, actually. :)
My frustration over it is really my own fault. In 2014 I pre-ordered a couple things from CSI in the summer that were supposed to release before or in time for GenCon. All the news for each of these games indicated they were on the way, the game's listings on online retailers had specific release dates, and so I timed a trip back to the US so that I could be here when the games came in and then take them back to work outside the country with me. I was still extremely new to tabletop gaming and didn't know that games are sent here via ship, and I did not know that the release dates that I might see on some sites could not be trusted. I just assumed that it was video games or most other media, that there were firm release dates.
I obviously learned that wasn't true, when the games didn't ship for months past the dates listed on some retailer's sites. I believe a couple of them didn't actually appear anywhere in stock in the US until October. I think I actually vented in the first Board Game OT about it and was set straight by some people. So I learned that there is no telling when a game will release, don't trust release dates or Windows from retailers or publishers, and I understood why it was the way it was.
Fast forward to this March, when Potion Explosion FINALLY appears as a pre-order online. I rushed to place an order and was bummed to see that it indicated the game was coming out in May and that I had to wait two months. I hadn't placed a pre-order online in a while and kind of forgot all about that "Don't trust release dates" rule. My hype for the game was huge and I figured 'Well, the game has been out for a while now in other countries and they have even solved their dispenser issues already, I can't see any reason why this wouldn't release then.'

Yeah. So completely my fault. :(
I really appreciate you chiming in though, thanks. I'm still eagerly awaiting the game. I'll keep an eye on CMoN's site/FB and see if they ever decide to talk about or promote the game too. I know they had it at their expo a couple weekends back but I was hoping they would be more vocal about the game rather than just issue a press release on their site saying they were publishing it.

DagsJT

First game of Quarriors tonight and ... it was okay. I think the rules made it sound more complicated than maybe it needed to be. But also it seems like it's just a race for the highest rated creatures?
Hmm. Not sure. Maybe we'll try another game to see but I wouldn't be surprised if we let this one go.
On the other hand, Codenames was interesting even with two players. Pretty difficult at times to try to think of words and I can see this working really well on game nights.

First game of Quarriors tonight and ... it was okay. I think the rules made it sound more complicated than maybe it needed to be. But also it seems like it's just a race for the highest rated creatures?
Hmm. Not sure. Maybe we'll try another game to see but I wouldn't be surprised if we let this one go.
On the other hand, Codenames was interesting even with two players. Pretty difficult at times to try to think of words and I can see this working really well on game nights.
Quarriors isn't the greatest game and typically the best play is to buy the most expensive thing you can. The following "Advanced rules" variant makes it a bit more strategic.

Advanced Capture Rule
During Phase 4 of your turn, you may capture up to two dice (instead of only one).

The Totally Expert Rule of Culling
When you score a die, you can only cull the die that scored and you can only score the glory for that die if you cull it.

Top Bottom