• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hate Quarriors. One of the handful of relatively highly rated games I've sold over the years (and I even got expansions in the hopes of "fixing" it because I loved the dice-chucking and the art). Hot Take: I love Eric Lang as a personality and his thoughts on gaming and insight into the design process, but think he's one of the more overrated designers out there today.

Blizzard

Banned
I wasn't a big fan of Quarriors (I think that was the game? Or something very similar with a cube box and tons of dice) when I played it years ago.

On a brighter note, I got the Scythe address confirmation email. The latest U.S. delivery should be July 17th.

fenners

Hate Quarriors. One of the handful of relatively highly rated games I've sold over the years (and I even got expansions in the hopes of "fixing" it because I loved the dice-chucking and the art). Hot Take: I love Eric Lang as a personality and his thoughts on gaming and insight into the design process, but think he's one of the more overrated designers out there today.

Heh, I've bought it twice & sold/traded it twice. The 'revised' rules for purchasing & discarding dice to score help make it have more meaningful choices, but it makes it drag out (at least in my work group) & there's usually clear combos that are better than others on the table... Always seemed to last 30 minutes longer than it should.

The later expansions add more rules, more fiddliness. Quests? Qurroption? Ugh.

Eric Lang has his hits & misses for sure, like most designers. He's on a high right now with Blood Rage.

Isn't Dice Masters supposed to be the 'fixed' version of Quarriors?

Some folk bill it that way, but it does it by adding a bunch more rules/powers. It was fun, but I didn't enjoy it enough to buy into it. The way it was sold, the way it was pitched, 2 player only, meh...

Where have you read/heard his thoughts on the design process? His games really aren't my style but I like hearing about different ideas about designing games.

Karkador

Banned
Some folk bill it that way, but it does it by adding a bunch more rules/powers. It was fun, but I didn't enjoy it enough to buy into it. The way it was sold, the way it was pitched, 2 player only, meh...

I haven't played Quarriors, but I've played a fair amount of Dice Masters. It did take me a little bit to fully understand the rules, but I wouldn't say it's because it has a lot of rules. I also like the way it was sold, because you can buy in and get started for pretty cheap.

fenners

I haven't played Quarriors, but I've played a fair amount of Dice Masters. It did take me a little bit to fully understand the rules, but I wouldn't say it's because it has a lot of rules. I also like the way it was sold, because you can buy in and get started for pretty cheap.

Not a particularly big fan of physical blind buys.. I kinda tolerate them in digital stuff, but that's by the by.

Card Boy

Banned
I need help in Hive for those that are familiar with it.

Has white lost or can the Queen Bee be moved as pictured in the suggested spots? I thought the rules dictated the pieces must be able to slide freely unless it is a Beatle/Grasshopper.

Dk5Ccpo.jpg

Also would i be safe in buying Explodng Kittens from eBay or is it something that can be faked?

Looking at this seller.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Explodin...hash=item4d44c0947c:m:mi6aXJbiRwJjqskHyo2w2Lw

Noaloha

There are two rules preventing the white queen from moving there - a) it can't freely slide through those 1-side length gaps, and b) during the Queen's movement the black mosquito would be considered unlinked from the rest of the hive.

Vard

Heads up that The Voyages of Marco Polo is in stock at Cardhaus. Apparently it was also in stock on CSI yesterday but has already sold out (I didn't get an 'in stock' email notification that I signed up for either, hmm).

For free shipping I also picked up the Istanbul expansion, Viticulture EE, and Dominion Prosperity. I want Arcadia Quest and Imperial Assault to round out my collection, but I think I'll really slow down buying new games now that my top tier most wanted list is almost empty. Looking forward to playing more and more of the games I have!

Taborcarn

Apparently it was also in stock on CSI yesterday but has already sold out (I didn't get an 'in stock' email notification that I signed up for either, hmm).

That's disappointing, I also had an alert for that at CSI and didn't see anything. If it's anything like other alerts I've seen though, it will show up at miniature market in 3 or 4 days.

Xater

I need help in Hive for those that are familiar with it.

Has white lost or can the Queen Bee be moved as pictured in the suggested spots? I thought the rules dictated the pieces must be able to slide freely unless it is a Beatle/Grasshopper.

Dk5Ccpo.jpg

Also would i be safe in buying Explodng Kittens from eBay or is it something that can be faked?

Looking at this seller.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Explodin...hash=item4d44c0947c:m:mi6aXJbiRwJjqskHyo2w2Lw

As Noaloha said, you can not freely move, but you only lose if the Queen is completely surrounded which isn't the case here.

Karkador

Banned
So the queen must be surrounded by 6 sides? So at 5 it is safe even if it cannot move?

Yes, it's six sides. Pieces in Hive can get their movement blocked pretty easily, so it makes sense that you don't lose simply because you can't move the queen.

Played Mysterium for the first time tonight

It was a lot of fun

It's fun but I think I've said it in here before, I think it's over themed. The whole last stage of the game seems out of place and detracts from the enjoyment of the game. I have had fun with it the few times I've played though. When you are the clue giver it really is like you're playing a solo game though which can be weird.

Ohnonono

I bought the new Warhammer Quest. Wonderful looking minis and the game system seems pretty cool. Hopefully once I milk it for all its worth they have some new content out I can get a hold of. Really cool dungeon crawler.

Played Le Havre for the first time last night. My gf and I are starting to burn out on the games we have, so I splurged for this one since I've heard so many good things. I really enjoy it, but I'm lost when it comes to strategy. She completely bootstomped me. By Round 11, I had 7 loans, no food and no ships, and she had no loans and three or four ships. She keeps hogging the damn Wharf, and when it was occassionally open, I didn't have the materials to build a ship.

Anyway, I like it. I think this and Twilight Struggle are the two games that we will probably be playing over and over for quite a while.

Neverfade

Who's dick do you have to suck for Voyages of Marco Polo to stay in stock for more then 4 minutes every 7 months at CSI/MM?

Get your fucking shit together, Z-man. Christ almighty.

JbAt6Jy.gif

I bought the new Warhammer Quest. Wonderful looking minis and the game system seems pretty cool. Hopefully once I milk it for all its worth they have some new content out I can get a hold of. Really cool dungeon crawler.

It's great, but hiding extra characters behind a paywall on an app was really dirty of them. I think they would've made more money in the long run if they just would've included additional character cards in the box. Then people would've bought the minis to go with them if they wanted more heroes. As it stands now, I'm giving all those characters a hard pass. I'm not a huge fan of integrated apps an board games anyway. Their app didn't make my change my mind on the subject.

daevv

Recorded my 500th gameplay yesterday with my wife. It was a quick game of Roll for It. Started logging my plays as of January 1st of 2015 in an effort to see what of my 200+ games I play and what never gets looked at. Had 2 purges of the collection since then. It's a great way to see what gets played the most (X-Wing Miniatures) and importantly what I wasted money on (Dice Masters). Played 124 different games over the year and a half. Only 39 were played once which is not bad I guess.

My top 20 played is a good mix of games split between my core group, couples game night group, 1v1 with my wife, and solo:

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
Dig Down Dwarf
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
7 Wonders: Duel
The Hobbit Card Game
Jaipur
Roll For It!
Castle: The Detective Card Game
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Coup
Timeline: Music & Cinema
Love Letter: Batman
Tsuro
Cacao
Skull
Wits & Wagers Party
Battle Line
Pandemic
7 Wonders
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Lyng

Spot on

JSR_Cube

Played Le Havre for the first time last night. My gf and I are starting to burn out on the games we have, so I splurged for this one since I've heard so many good things. I really enjoy it, but I'm lost when it comes to strategy. She completely bootstomped me. By Round 11, I had 7 loans, no food and no ships, and she had no loans and three or four ships. She keeps hogging the damn Wharf, and when it was occassionally open, I didn't have the materials to build a ship.

Anyway, I like it. I think this and Twilight Struggle are the two games that we will probably be playing over and over for quite a while.

Le Havre is great. There is a lot to learn which is great about it. First of all, the initial layout of the buildings will determine what you have to do. The game can definitely eat you for lunch if you get behind. There are a bunch of buildings that you need to learn how to use effectively.

Also, for organization, I would recommend these cases..
http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=651
They make setup and playing much easier.

Blizzard

Banned
I played Race for the Galaxy 1v1 with Gathering Storm again. I'm quite happy with the game in this state. I don't plan to get any more expansions.

Quick sanity check: Is Biblios a solid pick for 1v1 play with occasional 4-player games? I'm about to throw $20 at Amazon just in case it goes out of stock again.

Is Dominion worth picking up these days or have games moved on a lot since it was released?

I find Ascension completely superior to Dominion, but Dominion is still a good game.

In unrelated news, I played Carcassonne for the first time last night. That's a really fun, light game.

Xater

Is Dominion worth picking up these days or have games moved on a lot since it was released?

I'd pick it up with 1 or 2 expansions, because the base game is maybe a bit too simple. It's still a good deck building game. If you just want a deck builder I'd probably pick up Trains these days. The combination of deck building on building stuff on the board it pretty cool.

Vard

I think you can still get a lot of mileage out of the game. It's still fun, has even more depth and variety with the large number of expansions available, and also has the ability to go up to 6 players with the Intrigue expansion.

I've also heard good things about Thunderstone Advance but I've never played it, and on first look it looks good but that it wouldn't have longer legs than Dominion.

Fireblend

Banned
I've also been looking into deckbuilding games lately, and I'm tempted to pick up Cthulhu Realms. The art is nice, the game is quick, setup is minimal, it's under $15 on Amazon and it's language-independent, all of which are big pluses for me. I've been playing the Android version and having fun with it (at least what's free of it), so I'm close to pulling the trigger.

Ascension looks really nice, though. Might appeal to my gf, who is a big Hearthstone fan, but it looks significantly less interactive.

Karkador

Banned
IMO, Dominion is still a pretty specific style of deck builder that other games have iterated on, but not replaced. I can see why some people prefer the more head-to-head deck-builders (I personally enjoy Star Realms and Eminent Domain), but Dominion still stands out as a more technical, well-oiled game.

Blizzard

Banned
It's still probably my favorite deckbuilder with the Prosperity and maybe Seaside expansions. I have Hinterlands but haven't played it yet.

On another note, a Scythe expansion has already been announced, $30 to bring it up to 6-7 players. I don't even have the base game yet. :(

Fireblend

Banned
Damn, I'm looking into Ascension and it looks pretty enjoyable. Is it better to start with the base set? The expansions look like they can be played on their own so I wonder if any of them is a better starting point. I assume they have more mechanics but I doubt that'd be a negative point since the base game seems so simple.

sasimirobot

My little English buddy sent me "Binbo Tantei to Inbo no Shiro", or "Love Letter" 6+7.

Tried to play the first set tonight, so complicated, was expecting something easy, not happening. Don't recommend playing drunk with people that have never LOVE LETTER'erd.

I get the feeling this will take me more than the weekend and dedicated group of 4 players to even scratch the surface of what this game has to offer.

Wish I had my old game group, this one needs knowledge...

Damn, I'm looking into Ascension and it looks pretty enjoyable. Is it better to start with the base set? The expansions look like they can be played on their own so I wonder if any of them is a better starting point. I assume they have more mechanics but I doubt that'd be a negative point since the base game seems so simple.

I play the crap out of Ascension on my phone (the android version has all expacs available). I would say the base set isn't a bad way to start, although I believe there are "season" boxes that include a few expansions. Some of the factions are kind of weak in the base set (mechana specifically), but that's not truly a huge deal since you don't have to buy by faction or anything.

I can't remember if the base set of Ascension is free on mobile, I think it is. Might be worth trying it that way.

joelseph

Get the latest expansion. Each expansion improves the game and plays best on it's own.

JavyOO7

Burgle Bros., reminds me of Monaco (I think?). I want to get that. I also want to get Royals but have no idea if its actually coming out today or further along the line this year.

And I am getting deep sea adventure on Wednesday. The game looks cute and hopefully its a blast!

Karkador

Banned

Honestly, I think Star Realms (or Cthulhu Realms, which is a reskin) is better than Ascension (and those two are definitely comparable).

Vard

That's disappointing, I also had an alert for that at CSI and didn't see anything. If it's anything like other alerts I've seen though, it will show up at miniature market in 3 or 4 days.
You were right - Miniature Market now has Voyages of Marco Polo back in stock (their email notifications are working). Get it quick before it's gone again!

joelseph

Not a fan of C'thulu Realms. Got it day one and tried to love it. I love most all deck builders including Star Realms.

2 things really turn me off with CR.

1. The iconography is confusing. Symbols are too similar, there are too many of them and the rules that go along with them are not easy to remember. You will be in the book constantly trying to figure out what does what.

2. The games go down hill fast and there is almost always a run-away leader. I can't remember having a single close game. I think it has to do with Star Realms being designed for single player while this is expanded for mulitplayer.

Neverfade

I didn't like the first iteration of 51st State.

I didn't play Winter or New Era.

I liked Imperial Settlers quite a bit.

Any input on how I'd feel about the revised 51st State Master Set?

EYEL1NER

Gonna head off to the store to play Zombie Tower 3D soon. I'll post impressions after. I plan on taking a couple additional games in case people hate it or we get done early or something, maybe King of Tokyo and Alien Frontiers.

I didn't like the first iteration of 51st State.

I didn't play Winter or New Era.

I liked Imperial Settlers quite a bit.

Any input on how I'd feel about the revised 51st State Master Set?
I haven't played IS, but from everything I've read the Master Set plays a lot more like IS than the original 51st State. If you liked IS you'll probably like this new 51st State.

Is anyone heading to the UK Games Expo on the weekend?

I've never been before and i'm not sure what to expect.

I am. My first time too, so I'm entirely unhelpful.

I've been told there's plenty of open gaming all day and not to bother queuing for anything unless you really want to see it.

Taborcarn

You were right - Miniature Market now has Voyages of Marco Polo back in stock (their email notifications are working). Get it quick before it's gone again!

I'm signed up for notification there too but I still didn't get anything. I even checked through my spam folders. But at least they tweeted about it so I was able to pick it up. Looks like even this morning they still have 70+ copies in stock.

Top Bottom