• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Super excited to have found this thread. I have a group of friends that get together for game night almost every week. Our favorites are Betrayal at House on the Hill, Werewolf, and New Salem. We really like the hidden traitor/enemy games. Any recommendations in the same spirit?

Also, don't know that this is the right thread, but does Gaf have a D&D community topic as well? Tried a search and didn't find anything. We've recently decided to give it a go. I'm first time DM'ing and they're first time players, so it's been pretty fun and interesting so far. Lots of stumbles, but mostly in good ways I think.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Super excited to have found this thread. I have a group of friends that get together for game night almost every week. Our favorites are Betrayal at House on the Hill, Werewolf, and New Salem. We really like the hidden traitor/enemy games. Any recommendations in the same spirit?

Also, don't know that this is the right thread, but does Gaf have a D&D community topic as well? Tried a search and didn't find anything. We've recently decided to give it a go. I'm first time DM'ing and they're first time players, so it's been pretty fun and interesting so far. Lots of stumbles, but mostly in good ways I think.

I think there is a D&D thread, but you're MUCH better off going to /r/DND as it is SUPER active.

Karkador

Banned

There are lots of new options for traitor games nowadays, you're sure to find a few more good ones.

The top game in the genre is probably Avalon, as it's a similar game to Werewolf, but the setup is easy and you don't need an additional person to run it.

sasimirobot

We really like the hidden traitor/enemy games. Any recommendations in the same spirit?

If you like Werewolf, then you will probably like "One Night Ultimate Werewolf". It plays in 10 minutes, has no player elimination, and just condenses the original game down to its very core.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My friend might be able to pick me up all the Shadows of Brimstone stuff I want. I don't feel as bad about not being able to make it. Otherwise, I'm going to hunt around for another friend to hook me up. Gotta buy ALL the stuff! :|

Lyng

Resistance is really good.

Or if you are up for something bigger all about traitors and negotiations Game of Thrones: The Board game

mercviper

Blizzard

Banned
So I picked up tons of games for my store:
-Secret Hitler
-Seafall
-Scythe
-Star Trek Ascendancy
-3 Wishes
-Ticket to Ride Jr
-Tavern Brawl (cant really remember the name)
And a really cool Viking/norse mythology rpg

So I picked up tons of games for my store:
-Secret Hitler
-Seafall
-Scythe
-Star Trek Ascendancy
-3 Wishes
-Ticket to Ride Jr
-Tavern Brawl (cant really remember the name)
And a really cool Viking/norse mythology rpg

Barroom brawl?

Very cool list, I'd be interested to know how ticket to ride jnr plays.

Bii

Anyone try oregon trail? Some of the reviews seem mixed..

Bought it but haven't tried it yet. Maybe I'll see if my group wants to play it this weekend.

4RYJsCi.jpg

I wanna get that alternate 'Hitler' card at Gen Con. :(

Norse mythology rpg? :O

And lucky getting Seafall. Were you VIG'ing?

It's this one:
CORE_RULEBOOK_Cover_26_3_small_x800.jpg

I'm stoked to try it.

And I'm a game retailer, so I was able to get a trade day pass which got me early access to the exhibition hall. It was a rush to get Seafall.
Our store is gonna run a program so a group of players can play it before release.

zulux21

Interesting. The new standalone expansion really doesn't appeal to me but I like DoW so maybe this will.

im curious if it is just going to add the new mechanics from the new standalone to the original or if there will be more to it, as the theme of the expansion seems to be some of the new mechanics of the new version of the game.

either way nothing is known about it aside from the empty box you see there :p

EYEL1NER

I've got a copy of Escape: The Curse of the Temple Big Box that should be arriving soon. I saw a good price on it and have thought it would be both a good game to play with my family and a good one to take into the local store. I wanted to get either it or Space Alert, something with a CD for a timer and ambiance. I'll still get Space Alert at some point but I am eager to try Escape.

joelseph

Was in line an hour early at door H. Was in a pretty good spot. Still missed Harry Potter by like 200 people. Also had a vendor go in early and try to get me a copy and they are not selling to vendor badges even if they line up In the public line. Probably no chance in hell of getting a copy.

Wow that looks fantastic!! Seems like all new art too?

Me and the wife will love this!! My only complaint is the chit bag I prefer chucking dice! But I get why they did it.

It seems they using the chit bag in place of the card drawn, I don't know if I like it. It does allow for adjusting difficulty level but I guess they could do that with dice also by using different set of dices. I think I would rather may be something similar to Star Wars CCG by Decipher where you drawn your deck top card to determined success and the better the cards you put in your deck the lower the number is, so if you stack your deck with a lot of power card you would draw a really low numbers majority of the times.

Anyway, the game does look very interesting and yes it got all new artwork. The art is reminiscence of the other Arkham games which is nice and give you that same universe feel but the arts look to be all new.

Karkador

Banned
I've got a copy of Escape: The Curse of the Temple Big Box that should be arriving soon. I saw a good price on it and have thought it would be both a good game to play with my family and a good one to take into the local store. I wanted to get either it or Space Alert, something with a CD for a timer and ambiance. I'll still get Space Alert at some point but I am eager to try Escape.

I enjoy both games, and they're actually pretty different.

Escape's soundtrack really is just a timer, but it's some added fun anyway. I feel that Escape is a lot more chaotic and akin to a 90s TV game show, which I think makes it a better family game (you could easily convince someone it's a Legends of the Hidden Temple boardgame, complete with the crushing defeats). I think I've only played the base game, so the Big Box will include lots of options for variety and crazy twists.

Space Alert is practically a whole 'nother beast. For starters, the soundtrack is not just a timer, but a script that directs what happens in a game. It's a programming game, so you don't resolve "what actually happens" until the timer stops and you step through all the actions everybody did. Space Alert is a lot less chaotic and gives you a little more room to think and plan, but it requires more foresight, teamwork and delegation of responsibilities.

Gurrry

Was in line an hour early at door H. Was in a pretty good spot. Still missed Harry Potter by like 200 people. Also had a vendor go in early and try to get me a copy and they are not selling to vendor badges even if they line up In the public line. Probably no chance in hell of getting a copy.

Wait, what is this harry potter talk?

New game?

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle. It's a (cooperative?) deckbuilding game: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3043843/harry-potter-hogwarts-battle?size=original

The massive heart counter boards kind of throw me off for a deckbuilder, but maybe it's decent.

Its a cooperative deck building game, that feels like an easier to play Legendary. The game comes with 7 decks, each focusing on the narrative of each book. Its pretty family friendly and might be a great entry point into deck building games.

EYEL1NER

I enjoy both games, and they're actually pretty different.

Escape's soundtrack really is just a timer, but it's some added fun anyway. I feel that Escape is a lot more chaotic and akin to a 90s TV game show, which I think makes it a better family game (you could easily convince someone it's a Legends of the Hidden Temple boardgame, complete with the crushing defeats). I think I've only played the base game, so the Big Box will include lots of options for variety and crazy twists.

Space Alert is practically a whole 'nother beast. For starters, the soundtrack is not just a timer, but a script that directs what happens in a game. It's a programming game, so you don't resolve "what actually happens" until the timer stops and you step through all the actions everybody did. Space Alert is a lot less chaotic and gives you a little more room to think and plan, but it requires more foresight, teamwork and delegation of responsibilities.
Both sound good. I knew that Escape was supposed to be really frantic becuase of the 10 minute timer. How much longer do Space Alert games go?

ultron87

Gen Con report:

Codenames Pictures is more Codenames and that's great. The pictures do make it feel different enough that it was fun.

Secret Hitler is awesome, because every lie is a one vs scenario which makes for entertaining direct confrontation. We're kind of bad at it right now, but it feels like there's a lot of opportunity for strategy and deception.

Mystic Vale has a really neat mechanic where you're improving the cards in your deck instead of adding cards. Also a nice push your luck thing where you can draw more cards at the risk of killing your turn. I enjoyed playing it, but being a deckbuilder like where there is only one set of cards for setup makes it feel not replayable.

Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China is a Legendary game. Didn't do anything to put across the flavor of the movie. I should just keep playing the Aliens one, because it feels so much more thematic and is more cooperative.

EYEL1NER

Space Alert is about 30 minutes between the timed frantic section and the resolution/scoring section.
Thanks. I've tried to win copies of the game bundled with the expansion from GeekAuctions but haven't gotten it at my ideal price. I remember seeing the board for the game right when I got into TT gaming and thought it looked interesting but forgot about it after a while. The box art was a bit off-putting to me and I forgot about being interested for a while, but I recently read about it again and decided I needed it.
My copy of Escape just shipped out and should be here Tuesday, so maybe I can recommend it for a store play two Wednesdays from now after I have read the rules and know what I am doing. Or I can check the files on BGG for the rules and maybe take it in on Tuesday night after making sure it is all organized.
Gen Con report:
Secret Hitler is awesome, because every lie is a one vs scenario which makes for entertaining direct confrontation. We're kind of bad at it right now, but it feels like there's a lot of opportunity for strategy and deception.
Good to hear. My KS edition should be showing up anytime now.

Draxal

Hm not really any big announcement during the FFG preso, unless you're into Star Wars and I think their big reveal was some Runewars minis thing? Meh. :p

Intrigue in Arkham LCG increasing though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjkMVLgouts&feature=youtu.be

Cards are beautiful though the game seems a bit fiddly, but pretty much on par with any LCG.

Arkham has me pretty pumped tbh, a revised LOTR (I thinkt it was a good first effort but I didn't think it fit the theme very well) has me really interested.

Ohnonono

Excited for the Arkham LCG. They usually learn from older games so for me hopefully its a better LOTR in a universe I like more!

psyfi

Banned
Welcome!

I also get a lot of ideas for designing games, but I don't think I'm educated on the subject enough to really come up with good, original ideas.

However, I also think a lot about art and graphic/material design for games, and I wish I had game designer friends in need of an art department. I sometimes get wrapped up in redesigning existing games, more so than playing games.

A game design thread or challenge/competition on GAF would be cool, but I wonder how popular it would be here.
Howdy!

I barely even bother with art stuff when designing games because it's so not where my interest lies. I do art and design casually (sometimes for pay, usually for fun) but somehow I have no interest in doing it for games. Not yet at least! Maybe we can combine forces someday. :)

I'd be down for a thread like that on here, but I probably would only use it when I'm trouble shooting. But maybe I'd read it to just bounce ideas around and help other folks out. I dunno. It could be cool in the future if there's enough interest. I'm really into the idea of a GAF board game jam.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I know there's not a TON of Shadows of Brimstone love here, but did anyone catch the new Samurai stuff they announced? Someone said it's a new game but a compatible system? Also, the new and upcoming Other World expansions look INCREDIBLE. Derelict Ship is basically Dead Space, which will hopefully get people interested who don't dig the Western theme.

Excited for the Arkham LCG. They usually learn from older games so for me hopefully its a better LOTR in a universe I like more!

It does look pretty good and with the rumor that they are probably no longer have Warhammer license next year, that's probably mean that Warhammer Quest is probably done so may be I will get into this game. Rumor is GameWorkshop decline to renew license after the FFG merger with Asmodee earlier this year. Reading on BBG, the designer of Forbidden Stars said he was let go from the project and the rush POD expansions for Warhammer Quest is probably what they have working on and they are rushing out all the Conquest expansions with nothing announce. This all could be coincidence.

Top Bottom