• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

DTU

Banned
Posting from GenCon:

* I was the tenth person at Plaid Hat on Thursday. SeaFall sold out before doors opened.
* Destiny is decent. 67 cards with dice, meaning a minimum of 65 booster packs to get them all. Game seemed decently fun.
* DOOM was surprisingly fun. An action oriented Imperial Assault (which is my favorite board game).
* Imperial Assault announcements were amazing, especially the companion app.
* Hand of the King was a fun, cute party game.
* Iron Throne is the Hand of the King's more sophisticated brother. Games got rowdy and really fun.
* RuneWars is a sleeper hit for me. At $99 MSRP I would strongly consider it. Rounds were almost X-Wing speeds once I got the hang of it.

Draxal

Posting from GenCon:

* I was the tenth person at Plaid Hat on Thursday. SeaFall sold out before doors opened.
* Destiny is decent. 67 cards with dice, meaning a minimum of 65 booster packs to get them all. Game seemed decently fun.
* DOOM was surprisingly fun. An action oriented Imperial Assault (which is my favorite board game).
* Iron Throne is the Hand of the King's more sophisticated brother. Games got rowdy and really fun.
* RuneWars is a sleeper hit for me. At $99 MSRP I would strongly consider it. Rounds were almost X-Wing speeds once I got the hang of it.

Woo at companion app for imperial assault.

Day 2 of GenCon report:
I went to many booths to network and collect contacts and demo games for my business.
We received many games for free and bought one more:
- Dead Last
- Nevermore
- Quartex
- Grid Stones
- Captain Sonar
- Speedy Words

And probably the most notable games I played were Agamemnon and Scythe.
Scythe is pretty darn fun, not really what I thought it would be, but I enjoyed it a lot. Agamemnon was sort of the same- I didn't know what to expect, but I really liked it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I need to grab Star Trek Ascendancy and Captain Sonar tmrw.

They weren't sold out when I went by today and I'm worried they won't make the end of the day.

Also, can confirm the SUSD crew is as funny in person as their internet persona. Did a play session with them for Wasteland and they are the absolute best

ultron87

I walked into the Asmodee store thirty seconds too late this afternoon and the guy in front of me bought the last copy of Captain Sonar. Arrrrgh.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I need to grab Star Trek Ascendancy and Captain Sonar tmrw.

They weren't sold out when I went by today and I'm worried they won't make the end of the day.

Also, can confirm the SUSD crew is as funny in person as their internet persona. Did a play session with them for Wasteland and they are the absolute best
Haha yes...I was next to Quinns for a round at Netrunner Worlds and it was delightful. Even had me pick out a card for him on an HQ access (not an agenda sadly :p).

EYEL1NER

there is a board game sale on amazon.

I think this is the clean proper link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_acs...rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2573896722&pf_rd_i=165793011
Thanks for the heads up. I clean forgot about Amazon usually doing sales during GenCon and haven't been to the BGG Hot Deals forum in a couple hours. Glad I decided to get on GAF and see your post.
EDIT: Eh, nothing for me in this sale. I saw a couple cool things but I either already have them or the price isn't right enough for me to buy in. I'm tempted to get the new King of Tokyo to combine with my old version but I can wait for a good Target clearance or something to pick it up, I'm not in any rush.

zulux21

Thanks for the heads up. I clean forgot about Amazon usually doing sales during GenCon and haven't been to the BGG Hot Deals forum in a couple hours. Glad I decided to get on GAF and see your post.

glad you saw it, I only saw it because I have a RSS feed to the BGG hot deals forum :p

I was hoping to hear some news about a Warhammer Quest ACG expansion but nothing has been announced at GenCon (yet). Seeing rumblings on BGG that FFG and Games Workshop might have ended their deal or are negotiating.

Really looking forward to Arkham Horror: The Card Game, assuming it solos well.

I'm pretty bummed. My friend went to Gencon and was going to get his hands on Kingdom Death Monster for me finally. By the time he got to the booth they were sold out. And now I see people selling on Ebay, from GenCon. Depressing.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm pretty bummed. My friend went to Gencon and was going to get his hands on Kingdom Death Monster for me finally. By the time he got to the booth they were sold out. And now I see people selling on Ebay, from GenCon. Depressing.

People were doing this with Seafall, too. I hate scalpers. It's one thing to hold a product until after production has ended and you literally cannot buy it anymore - it's another to buy solely with the intention of flipping due to scarcity. One would try and argue that it's OK, but my personally opinion is "fuck them".

I was hoping to hear some news about a Warhammer Quest ACG expansion but nothing has been announced at GenCon (yet). Seeing rumblings on BGG that FFG and Games Workshop might have ended their deal or are negotiating.

Really looking forward to Arkham Horror: The Card Game, assuming it solos well.

I have no interest in the ACG, but I'm curious what happened. Did FFG botch the deal or is GW being GW. They're kind of known for being the worst...

sasliquid

Considering the designer was let go of FFG and his work scrapped, that's a pretty good assumption to make. I was thinking of getting Forbidden Stars, but now I'm not sure.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23189391#23189391
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4u7cn9/rip_forbidden_stars_warhammer_quest_adventure/

Yeah but a designer has been detailing what they would have added as well.

I've still not played Forbidden Stars but I do have my copy and just need to get people around,

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ughh I paid for expedited shipping for Scythe and it still managed to not get here for the weekend so we could play :(

Draxal

I have no interest in the ACG, but I'm curious what happened. Did FFG botch the deal or is GW being GW. They're kind of known for being the worst...

It's GW realizing wow, we're stupid for not rereleasing warhammer quest until now, we're really dumb. They're taking control over their ips again since they definitely value, but they should be releasing the product.

zulux21

decided to get
FOVIbiT.png
from the amazon sale.

sadly I picked no rush shipping when I ordered last night in hopes that it would give me more time to make sure I wanted those games.

now it's prepping to ship and I can't change it to 2 day :(

Posting from GenCon:

I couldn't find this info, but do the Runewars minis require assembly? I hate assembly but love painting.

People were doing this with Seafall, too. I hate scalpers. It's one thing to hold a product until after production has ended and you literally cannot buy it anymore - it's another to buy solely with the intention of flipping due to scarcity. One would try and argue that it's OK, but my personally opinion is "fuck them".
Agreed. I'm grumpy enough about it that I'm contemplating bidding up one in particular where the guy says right in description he got it for $400 for GenCon...then starts bidding at $500. I'd like to get it up high, win it, and fuck around with the guy as long as I can not paying him money until he realizes I'm not actually going to buy it. Though that seems petty and a waste of time...it might give me some stupid satisfaction.

Does GAF do any meetups at GenCon, or not enough people here go? I almost went this year...After reading some thoughts in here and listening to all the fun my friend is having I'm definitely going to make a trip next year.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Disgusting.
To be fair they did say there were extremely limited quantities and with the VIPs getting early access I think you really have to expect a sellout of such games, unless the company has affirmatively said otherwise.

The eBay stuff is really funny though. I'm sure the game will be good, but just like Pandemic once they tank ramp up production this has Black Friday 50% off written all over it.

Considering the designer was let go of FFG and his work scrapped, that's a pretty good assumption to make. I was thinking of getting Forbidden Stars, but now I'm not sure.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23189391#23189391
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4u7cn9/rip_forbidden_stars_warhammer_quest_adventure/
So you are not going to get a game because there is no plan for expansion? I really find that hard to understand as a gamer why does it matter if the game has expansion, especially game like Forbidden Star. My feeling is if GW doesn't renew the license (which really can you blame them? now that FFG is own by Asmodee, if I am running GW I would reconsider the deal too), the game would be OOP and this is going to be the next Star Craft or Gears of War. Speaking of Gears they should reimplement that system. I try Fireteam Zero and it's too simplistic compare to Gears.

Karkador

Banned
So you are not going to get a game because there is no plan for expansion? I really find that hard to understand as a gamer whey does it matter if the game has expansion,especially game like Forbidden Star. My feeling is if GW doesn't renew the license (which really can you blame them? now that FFG is own by Asmodee, if I am running GW I would reconsider the deal too), the game would be OOP and this is going to be the next Star Craft or Gears of War. Speaking of Gears they should reimplement that system. I try Fireteam Zero and it's too simplistic compare to Gears.

Well I dunno about Forbidden Stars, but Warhammer Quest ACG is a real shame, as it only has one campaign (not even that long, just difficult). If that's all the game is getting, I'd stop recommending the game. That sucks.

Well I dunno about Forbidden Stars, but Warhammer Quest ACG is a real shame, as it only has one campaign (not even that long, just difficult). If that's all the game is getting, I'd stop recommending the game. That sucks.
While I get that game like Warhammer Quest is ripe for expansions but not recommend the game because it lack expansion is so weird for me. Do game enjoyment really hinge on the game needing to have expansion? I play plenty of games with no prospect of expansions or already dead like Gears of War and would recommend them with or without the expansions. I love to have more expansions for Warhammer Quest but it's not like the core set didn't have enough content or unable to stand alone as complete product. I played may be 10 or so games of Warhammer Quest ACG and still enjoying it. I love the ease of set up, the lack of the need to construct a deck and while I would love to have more missions, I never feel like I didn't get my money worth. Compare this to Pathfinder ACG where it got tons of expansions and even two sequels I would recommend Warhammer over it any day.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
While I get that game like Warhammer Quest is ripe for expansions but not recommend the game because it lack expansion is so weird for me. Do game enjoyment really hinge on the game needing to have expansion? I play plenty of games with no prospect of expansions or already dead like Gears of War and would recommend them with or without the expansions. I love to have more expansions for Warhammer Quest but it's not like the core set didn't have enough content or unable to stand alone as complete product. I played may be 10 or so games of Warhammer Quest ACG and still enjoying it. I love the ease of set up, the lack of the need to construct a deck and while I would love to have more missions, I never feel like I didn't get my money worth. Compare this to Pathfinder ACG where it got tons of expansions and even two sequels I would recommend Warhammer over it any day.
I think part of it is that for certain lines you really do buy them and factor into the cost/benefit future support. Certainly for things like LCGs and adventure games. So it flows pretty naturally to be disappointed when those Fall through. I wonder who's the sympathetic party here because honestly both can be pretty terrible on the corporate side (though GW's history as a corporate baddie is decades longer).

I had a good time with the base campaign for Warhammer Quest ACG but it really needs another campaign or two, in my opinion. Haven't tried the Delve Quest yet.

I think part of it is that for certain lines you really do buy them and factor into the cost/benefit future support. Certainly for things like LCGs and adventure games. So it flows pretty naturally to be disappointed when those Fall through. I wonder who's the sympathetic party here because honestly both can be pretty terrible on the corporate side (though GW's history as a corporate baddie is decades longer).

I do get the disappointment because I am too disappointed that the game may be just one shot deal but I never bought into any games hoping for the future expansions. As for who to blame, I get that GW hate is easy because they were pretty terrible but in the end it is their intellectual property. Why should they be blame because FFG made a game knowing full well they might not always have the license. Also this is not unprecedented for FFG they have opt to not renew licenses in the past, that said it doesn't make the game any less fun just because they have no future plan for it.

In any case this is all speculation both side could just be posturing for better deal.

Xater

I found a cheap unused copy of Mission Red Planet on eBay. That makes me really happy because early September I am going to the Netherlands with some friends. we booked an apartment and the plan is to just play board games in the evenings.

I liked warhammer quest, but it felt like it needed more. Game being made for campaign play and only includes a small single campaign. The replayability just feels neutered.

I liked warhammer quest, but it felt like it needed more. Game being made for campaign play and only includes a small single campaign. The replayability just feels neutered.

Feels like they purposely made the game that way so that expansions would be a must buy to fill in the experience. I feel like FFG does this all the time, which really sucks.

So you are not going to get a game because there is no plan for expansion? I really find that hard to understand as a gamer why does it matter if the game has expansion, especially game like Forbidden Star. My feeling is if GW doesn't renew the license (which really can you blame them? now that FFG is own by Asmodee, if I am running GW I would reconsider the deal too), the game would be OOP and this is going to be the next Star Craft or Gears of War. Speaking of Gears they should reimplement that system. I try Fireteam Zero and it's too simplistic compare to Gears.
My concern with Forbidden Stars is that the game comes with four asymmetrical factions and that with repeated plays will develop very distinct optimal development tree paths (choosing a specific path despite having more development branch options) and strategies against each faction. With an addition four factions the combinations of factions to have in a single game increases quite a bit and could keep the game from falling into a certain rut. As Astrolad points out, it does become a cost/benefit issue. Forbidden Stars is $115 up here in Canada, or upwards of $150 at a FLGS. At a lower price point, I'd be all over it in an instant. Plus, I'm not sure it'd be the right fit for our group.

Edit: I understand that all games will develop a certain repetitive strategy once the mechanisms are more fully grasped, but more content would keep this from happening as quickly.

My concern with Forbidden Stars is that the game comes with four asymmetrical factions and that with repeated plays will develop very distinct optimal development tree paths (choosing a specific path despite having more development branch options) and strategies against each faction. With an addition four factions the combinations of factions to have in a single game increases quite a bit and could keep the game from falling into a certain rut. As Astrolad points out, it does become a cost/benefit issue. Forbidden Stars is $115 up here in Canada, or upwards of $150 at a FLGS. At a lower price point, I'd be all over it in an instant. Plus, I'm not sure it'd be the right fit for our group.

Edit: I understand that all games will develop a certain repetitive strategy once the mechanisms are more fully grasped, but more content would keep this from happening as quickly.

That could be an argument for just about any games. There are plenty of good games out there with no expansions and they are still fun and enjoy by many (Twilight Struggle, the Gallerist, and the list go on and on). Are we really at the point where game value is determine by what it future might bring than what it could provide today? Shouldn't the game be worth whatever the content is included inside the box that you buy and paid for now? If the game is not worth it to you at $115 why would having to spend another $40-60 for the expansion make the game a better value proposition?

I could understand your argument in regard to the game being expensive but not getting game due to lack of expansion I just don't get.

Blizzard

Banned
Some day, maybe I will beat the very first Warhammer Quest ACG mission instead of failing miserably even with the most powerful characters. ;_;

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Feels like they purposely made the game that way so that expansions would be a must buy to fill in the experience. I feel like FFG does this all the time, which really sucks.
Oh yeah they totally do. Like for Eldritch probably the top complaint is how few Encounter cards there are and hey big surprise the first expansion is basically a must-have and nothing but encounters. Elder Sign is kind of an extreme version of this and I can't say for sure it was intentional because the base game is just hot garbage, but the expansions do fix it.

Also antique sorry to be clear I don't question GW's right to control its IP, I just mean that in this case it all went down very suddenly and unexpectedly so I'm wondering what the backstory is.

joelseph

Waiting for my wife to pick me up and take me home:

-Potion Explosion is excellent.

-Secret Hitler looks gorgeous and plays well.

-Vast: Crystal Caverns looks super cool and I missed out on a copy. Might buy from Designers site.

-Exposed is a fun little Indie deduction game that has you picking pockets and trying to avoid being exposed.

-playing Game of 49 with the designer and getting a signed copy was one of the highlights of the con for me.

-Chatted to Eric Lang about his recent award and he taught us Bloodborne.

-Ignacy taught and sold us on a copy of Crazy Karts. We played it last night lots of fun.

-Captain Sonar is excellent fun real time combat game.

-Brad Dalton and theartist for Millinium Blades created a custom card on the 2016 playmat for me. Super rad.

-Never did get a copy of Harry Potter.

-Loony Quest is silly fun, don't overlook it because of the cartoon graphics.

That's about it for me.

Lyng

Some day, maybe I will beat the very first Warhammer Quest ACG mission instead of failing miserably even with the most powerful characters. ;_;

Did you get some rules wrong mate?
I mean it's fairly hard, but not that hard. And the rules are notoriously lacking.

JavyOO7

I had no idea Seafall has the 'legacy' mechanic that Pandemic Legacy does. Now I want to get it too.

And Pandemic Legacy... a buddy and myself recently beat it. It was worth it. We found a 'reset' button on BGG and we didn't destroy anything, so perhaps we'll do another campaign. I wouldn't mind, the Pandemic gameplay itself is simple and fun.

Blizzard

Banned
Did you get some rules wrong mate?
I mean it's fairly hard, but not that hard. And the rules are notoriously lacking.
Maybe, but I tend to be very careful with rules, looking up uncertain stuff. If anything, people tend to cheat and make it easier by forgetting to do nemesis attacks like 3 times if needed, or letting the sorceress do full damage to all enemies. I've been crushed 3 times with 2 and one time with 4. I don't want to play further in the campaign until we beat the first mission at least once.

So my Gen Con pick ups, despite not going to Gen Con (had some co-workers that were there grab things for me):

• The Networks
  • London Dread
  • Vast: The Crystal Caverns
  • The Others: 7 Sins
  • Bloodborne Card Game
  • Monstrous

I'm also ordering a few things, too.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Its the next game in the Legacy line. Its pretty big, because its the first original legacy game after Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy. I talked to the creator for a while today.

Well since me and my group A) are playing through Pandemic Legacy and love it and B) are pretty keen on 4X games this seems like a no brainer.

I've been itching to get into board gaming, so I had narrowed it down to two finalist for my first foray...Mage Knight and shadowrun crossfire. Ending up going with crossfire (picked up the expansion as well)...wish me luck!

Top Bottom