• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Chorazin

Is that the CMON dungeon romp with dice action selection? (also using Arcadia Quest theme)? It actually look pretty good and I am thinking late pledge it.

It it, and it's super good. I'm taking it to my board game meetup tonight! I'll buy the expansions as well whenever they are available.

Ohnonono

So this Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition box is comically large. I suppose I will have no trouble fitting the components in there though. Can't wait to FINALLY play this game.

Aha, forgot about that thread, thanks!

It's not a board game, but it draws a lot of influence from deck builders and is one of my favorite games of all time, period, yes, even with the hilarious programmer art.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=851638&highlight=

Apparently I'm in the minority, but I'll keep hyping this thread I made 2 years ago that got 3 replies until everyone loves it, damn it.

(the designer now works on Hearthstone, I believe)

mercviper

Looking for some good iPad board games that work well in solo play. I already have Galaxy Trucker. Thinking of checking out Tsuro

To add: Sentinels of the Multiverse should play well solo too, but I had to stop because my ipad2 kept crashing.

It's not a board game, but it draws a lot of influence from deck builders and is one of my favorite games of all time, period, yes, even with the hilarious programmer art.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=851638&highlight=

Apparently I'm in the minority, but I'll keep hyping this thread I made 2 years ago that got 3 replies until everyone loves it, damn it.

(the designer now works on Hearthstone, I believe)

Oh man I remember this game. I eventually had to stop because I would get double vision after playing it for half an hour :<

lordxar

My uncle is big into Warhammer. He and my aunt invited me on vacation with them so today we rolled through a game store and he went to town on buying miniatures. Anyway, I was browsing around and found some single player board games which was new to me and struck an interest. I like the idea of not having to find a group necessarily but still have an option to play with friends if I can get them interested. So, the games that looked interesting are:

Arkham Horror
Eldritch Horror
Shadows of Brimstone

SoB has miniatures to paint and put together. Not a deal breaker but a longer time before play. It's also a tad more expensive. Probably a best saved for a later game.

Arkham sounds like the most complicated where Eldritch sounds most accessible. Any recommendations before I start blowing money? They all look to have expansions so would it be better to get immersed in one game and expand or try a couple and expand later. Was kind of thinking about getting SoB and Eldritch both to play one and build the other for later.

mercviper

My uncle is big into Warhammer. He and my aunt invited me on vacation with them so today we rolled through a game store and he went to town on buying miniatures. Anyway, I was browsing around and found some single player board games which was new to me and struck an interest. I like the idea of not having to find a group necessarily but still have an option to play with friends if I can get them interested. So, the games that looked interesting are:

Arkham Horror
Eldritch Horror
Shadows of Brimstone

SoB has miniatures to paint and put together. Not a deal breaker but a longer time before play. It's also a tad more expensive. Probably a best saved for a later game.

Arkham sounds like the most complicated where Eldritch sounds most accessible. Any recommendations before I start blowing money? They all look to have expansions so would it be better to get immersed in one game and expand or try a couple and expand later. Was kind of thinking about getting SoB and Eldritch both to play one and build the other for later.

If you're wanting more accessibility I think Pandemic or Pandemic:Legacy is great too, though a bit more abstract in theme.

Another great solo game to check out would be Mage Knight. With Arkham/Eldritch even if you play solo I think you're going to want to be controlling multiple characters.

With most games I also suggest watching a setup and example gameplay video for the first round to help you with learning the game and getting a feel for it before purchasing.

Re: Expansions, it depends on the game but most play well with the base alone and you can focus on getting expansions later to help refresh replayability. Getting them now will typically create even more complexity in learning the game.

lordxar

If you're wanting more accessibility I think Pandemic or Pandemic:Legacy is great too, though a bit more abstract in theme.

Another great solo game to check out would be Mage Knight. With Arkham/Eldritch even if you play solo I think you're going to want to be controlling multiple characters.

With most games I also suggest watching a setup and example gameplay video for the first round to help you with learning the game and getting a feel for it before purchasing.

Re: Expansions, it depends on the game but most play well with the base alone and you can focus on getting expansions later to help refresh replayability. Getting them now will typically create even more complexity in learning the game.

Cool, thanks!

from what I know it's going to be mostly the same just with different (in general higher quality) components.

the end result of the changes will make the current expansion for the game not work with the new version, but they will be printing a new version of the current expansion as well.

the bigger thing that sucks for owners of the old version is another expansion will be released that won't work with the original release of the game at all, only the new version of the game.

originally they said that they would try to have a conversion pack, but have since said they won't as they would basically just need to make two copies of the expansion at that point, and it was hard to justify making a version of an expansion for a version of the game they didn't have rights to.
That is terrible to hear especially after he repeatedly said he will never leave any fans of his game behind.

Vard

Ive been called on to get Arcadia Quest. Any thoughts folks?
I really like it as an entryway into dungeon crawler games. I haven't started a campaign yet where equipment carries over from scenario to scenario - that seems even cooler to me. If you're on the fence, check out the Watch It Played play-through on YouTube and see if it looks like you're kind of game.

Palmer_v1

How is Above and Below? The Near and Far kickstarter is nearly done and it seems kinda interesting. Not really sure how these play though.

ultron87

Hearing it's a more serious game does make me worry about being able to find a solid group to play the whole campaign. Was already concerned since it doesn't have the cooperative thing that Pandemic had.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hearing it's a more serious game does make me worry about being able to find a solid group to play the whole campaign. Was already concerned since it doesn't have the cooperative thing that Pandemic had.

Really good note they have that it's like a lot of mediumweight+ Euros in that you definitely don't want to play it with a full player count (in this case, 5) unless you LOVE pointless downtime where you can't even plan anything really

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Got my copy of Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition. That box is crazy. Hopefully I will get a solo play in tomorrow.

Edit: Feels like I haven't opened new game I while, especially and FFG game. Dat new smell!

How is Above and Below? The Near and Far kickstarter is nearly done and it seems kinda interesting. Not really sure how these play though.

I love the idea, hate the balance. There's a completely broken tile in the game that probably needs to be house-ruled out (the forums indicate that experience balances this, but everyone who's only played once has been soured by it). Also, the dice rolling mechanic is a little vicious according to a friend of mine (failure = complete failure. Maybe don't totally exhaust adventurers if they fail their adventure?)

Because of that, I didn't pick up the Kickstarter edition of the game (it comes with the extra wooden tokens). Near and Far looks cool, but I don't like the fact that I *feel* as if I need Above and Below to have a complete copy of Near and Far

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So There were a whole hell of a lot of old pathfinder minis that i still had from when i owned my game store. Decided to sell some of em to CSI and got 500 bucks credit for them. Pre-Ordered Cry Havoc and The Others: 7 sins. Also picked up Through the Ages, Millennium Blades and Dominant Species. I still have over 200 credit left. All from some old dusty ass figures that are way lower quality thsn anything i have now from the newer boardgames. Thanks, CSI.

Keasar

So There were a whole hell of a lot of old pathfinder minis that i still had from when i owned my game store. Decided to sell some of em to CSI and got 500 bucks credit for them. Pre-Ordered Cry Havoc and The Others: 7 sins. Also picked up Through the Ages, Millennium Blades and Dominant Species. I still have over 200 credit left. All from some old dusty ass figures that are way lower quality thsn anything i have now from the newer boardgames. Thanks, CSI.

Were they actually valuable or was it just a huge quantity? :p

Neverfade

Guys.
Guys.
They did it.
Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed is not a dumpster fire.

Near zero setup, much fewer ambiguities by just following the app, much more variety -- love it.

Ohnonono

Guys.
Guys.
They did it.

Near zero setup, much fewer ambiguities by just following the app, much more variety -- love it.

Was going to make this same post today. It is pretty great. The app thing was scary to me but then I realized that if not for it I would be handling god knows how many decks of event cards, story cards, maybe a paragraph booklet, puzzle pieces, and maybe a story telling DM. Amazing solo game.

Xater

Guys.
Guys.
They did it.

So is it the FFG game for the rest of us? Should I start praying that all their games start using an app?

Ohnonono

If the future of board games is playing alone with an app, I'll find a new hobby.

I don't think that is at risk here. For those of us that lack the time but still love the medium it is nice to get thrown a bone sometimes. That being said I am sure the game would be great with more people. It is a coop for up to 5 people. I think it could be a great gateway especially for people who don't normally play games that are that heavy because there does not need to be one player who seems to be running all this extra stuff to activate the opponents. Having played some COIN games recently using a flowchart for complex actions does not necessarily add to the experience if you could have a computer that could do the same thing much quicker. There are tons of games that are inaccessible for people without time to get together with a big group for long periods of time. I like that sometimes I don't have to flub rules to enjoy those games.

Draxal

If the future of board games is playing alone with an app, I'll find a new hobby.

There exists room for this sort of boardgame, a digital board game like this isn't going to replace something like codenames or ultimate night werewolf (which also uses an app). Social board games will always exist.

Neverfade

It definitely wasn't a solo game. I don't do solo games.

I also didn't really have a penchant for app driven games. XCOM was a turd sandwich.

This changed my mind though. Seriously considering rebuying Descent for the Road to Legend stuff because I don't want to wait for the Imperial Assault app.

Bottom line, it just makes everything quicker with fewer mistakes and fewer questions. It's not very much different than just playing with a DM/GM who runs the game flawlessly.

Don't see a downside here other than having to remember to charge my iPad earlier in the day.

Also, I'd say sure MOM2s component list is still fairly big compared to the average board game but the app certainly cut out lord knows how many decks. Would pay 5+ bucks for an Eldritch Horror app that was a deck shuffler/randomizer.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It definitely wasn't a solo game. I don't do solo games.

I also didn't really have a penchant for app driven games. XCOM was a turd sandwich.

This changed my mind though. Seriously considering rebuying Descent for the Road to Legend stuff because I don't want to wait for the Imperial Assault app.

Bottom line, it just makes everything quicker with fewer mistakes and fewer questions. It's not very much different than just playing with a DM/GM who runs the game flawlessly.

Don't see a downside here other than having to remember to charge my iPad earlier in the day.

Also, I'd say sure MOM2s component list is still fairly big compared to the average board game but the app certainly cut out lord knows how many decks. Would pay 5+ bucks for an Eldritch Horror app that was a deck shuffler/randomizer.

Yup.

I was going through my MOM1 box to get the stuff I need and there I so much stuff left behind. This is one game that really benefits. I definitely don't want all games like this, but there is room for it or at least have the option for it.

Blizzard

Banned
I guess I'm still in the old fogey camp that the physical interaction (flipping cards, rolling dice, etc.) is a huge part of the satisfaction and appeal of board games, like reading a physical book vs. using an e-reader.

I've gone to LAN parties and I'm not against that experience -- I just prefer a different experience if I'm playing board/card games. :p

Protome

I guess I'm still in the old fogey camp that the physical interaction (flipping cards, rolling dice, etc.) is a huge part of the satisfaction and appeal of board games, like reading a physical book vs. using an e-reader.

I've gone to LAN parties and I'm not against that experience -- I just prefer a different experience if I'm playing board/card games. :p

I agree to some degree (although I love my Kindle.)

A large issue about it for me is there's no guarantee these apps will be updated and therefore even work in the future. Plenty of old iPhone apps don't run on current iPhones. Android is arguably worse. If the publisher hasn't signed a long term support agreement with the app developers, a lot of these app assisted games will be completely unplayable in a decade or so.

Ohnonono

I am glad both exist because for sure there are times that I don't want to look at a screen.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If you have an android device there is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=reynier.eldritchcompanion

It works pretty well but I have only used it once. I would guess iOS probably has something too.

Oh man could have totally used this last night hahaha. I'm very much a cardboard kinda guy (in the sense that I think a huge appeal of board games is people huddling around the table and interacting with physical bits) BUT when you're talking about 35 random decks and having to maintain them, I actually think cutting down on the number might even improve the social experience. Arkham and Eldritch there is just too much on the table, and it's not like the encounter cards really add much in terms of flavor beyond the text (no art or anything). I'll try it out and see how I like it. I thought I'd really like the Dead of Winter app but wound up thinking while a perfectly fine app it didn't make the game any faster or less fiddly (it just removed one deck) so ditched it.

Karkador

Banned
I'm interested in apps that run as a player AI for games that need some kind of Game Master role. That is useful, because it opens up options for games that need more players, or games where you would rather all play together on the same side.

What I don't like is companies like FFG (perhaps now it's every company, thanks to the mergers) doubling down on their bloated, fiddly design philosophy. Delegating that noise to an app just seems like more of a side-move than an improvement.

Palmer_v1

I'm interested in apps that run as a player AI for games that need some kind of Game Master role. That is useful, because it opens up options for games that need more players, or games where you would rather all play together on the same side.

What I don't like is companies like FFG (perhaps now it's every company, thanks to the mergers) doubling down on their bloated, fiddly design philosophy. Delegating that noise to an app just seems like more of a side-move than an improvement.

I agree. The need for a GM type player has stopped me from getting several games. If an app can take over that role, I'm all for it.

I'm somewhat used to having a tablet on hand for some of my miniature games like Warmachine anyway, cause it's a far more efficient rules reference, and less error-prone damage tracker.

I definitely draw a line at dice rolling though. Literally needs to stay in the hands of the players.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Played my first game of Mansions using the Steam app on my Surface and it worked great. Connected it too my Bluetooth speaker as well so I could hear the music and sound effects better.

Really enjoyed my first play through. It actually used a lot of components from the first edition, which was nice.

edit: important note, for a barricade to work, the room you want to block off should be explored already with a monster in it.

No interest in app only games, if its going to use an app, make it optional add on of some kind. But having an app immediately makes the game have a shelf life of how long its supported and if it will be even playable in the future as new devices and OS's come out making your non supported app no longer playable. In 10 years I can still play any board game, but that game that requires an app? Good chance the app will not be supported anymore unless you have an old device laying around for it. I will never buy a board game that demands software to play it, as no software is future proof, and companies (especially FFG) love to just bail on supporting their products once it stops selling.

Checked in on the former Armored Core kickstarter, wow they lost almost 100k in pledges, what a fiasco

Neverfade

Personally, if I get 10 years out of a game, I've probably gotten my money's worth.

I'll take the wager I'll still have an iOS and a Windows device in 10 years as well.

zulux21

No interest in app only games, if its going to use an app, make it optional add on of some kind. But having an app immediately makes the game have a shelf life of how long its supported and if it will be even playable in the future as new devices and OS's come out making your non supported app no longer playable. In 10 years I can still play any board game, but that game that requires an app? Good chance the app will not be supported anymore unless you have an old device laying around for it. I will never buy a board game that demands software to play it, as no software is future proof, and companies (especially FFG) love to just bail on supporting their products once it stops selling.

Checked in on the former Armored Core kickstarter, wow they lost almost 100k in pledges, what a fiasco

both decent and madness have their apps on steam as well, so those at least shouldn't ever fully lose support.

not sure what other ones there are, but most of the other games I know that use an APP just use it for a timer. something a watch can easily replace.

Personally, if I get 10 years out of a game, I've probably gotten my money's worth.

I'll take the wager I'll still have an iOS and a Windows device in 10 years as well.

you might have an IOS device but the odds of the software being supported is next to nothing given how many apps get broken each time a new version of IOS comes out.

Even if it's on steam, doesn't guarantee anything that it's going to support future hardware/software configs without actual developer support. I don't do laptops, and not gonna lug around desktop to a game night or table, so forced to stick with tablet/phone support. Life span of a tablet app is not very good.

An app companion feature like Descent and upcoming SW stuff, awesome. But making it required, nope, no sale

zulux21

Even if it's on steam, doesn't guarantee anything that it's going to support future hardware/software configs without actual developer support. I don't do laptops, and not gonna lug around desktop to a game night or table, so forced to stick with tablet/phone support. Life span of a tablet app is not very good.

guarantee no.
but the odds of fans making sure the app is supported on new devices is about on par with the odds that people will still be playing a game like ticket to ride later this year. (I mean I can play all the old PC games just fine. Sometimes they require some work arounds/emulators but they are all playable)

it would be absolutely shocking if 10 years from now you couldn't use the app, as someone will figure out a way to make it work.

also if it was that big of deal for you, 10 years from now you could just spend $30 and get a windows tablet that can easily run the app.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
We will see what happens I guess. Vote with your wallet. I have a tablet PC so I'm not worried about not working in future. Sure it could happen, but in the mean time I'm confident I will get my moneys worth from it (definitely more than the 1E).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Didn't realize the Arkham LCG preorders were sold out at the usual places, so picked up a couple copies at Cardhaus and added Bloodborne and Potion Explosion to reach free shipping. Probably swap out Bloodborne at some point. Now to wait a few months :p....

Top Bottom