• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Lyng

One of the users on BGG made this site. Its a tool for ranking your games. Its quiet fun and I was surprised by my top 10 after running through this. Its very fast to set up since you can load in your library via your BGG username.
Try it out and maybe post some top 5/10's :D

http://rankgames.ty-pe.com/

Potion explosion is on my list for sure.

One night ultimate alien? Not so much. It seems they are adding more complexity and randomness at the same time. I'd be surprised if that works out.

Probably more fun than seafall though.

Xater

Potion explosion is on my list for sure.

One night ultimate alien? Not so much. It seems they are adding more complexity and randomness at the same time. I'd be surprised if that works out.

Probably more fun than seafall though.

Look at you throwing that shade. Seems like the Seafall hype backlash is already happening.

Karkador

Banned
How long will it take people to get through Seafall and give a more even-handed review?

I was cautious about that designer doing an original thing, though. I think the strength of Pandemic Legacy is primarily that it's Pandemic. He might do better putting the Legacy spin on good games. Catan Legacy, anyone?

Taborcarn

Here's the most positive review of Seafall I've seen so far. That said, it comes with the caveat that you should not buy the game unless you know what you're getting in to. Which is difficult in a game where people seem to not know what it is and are purposely avoiding information on it to not see spoliers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCaDkMYQ82Q

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Small picture of my new boardgame, Potion Explosion. It will be at the Essen fair and should be available worldwide right after the fair. :)

pic2644583_md.png

How was it working with CMoN?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How long will it take people to get through Seafall and give a more even-handed review?

I was cautious about that designer doing an original thing, though. I think the strength of Pandemic Legacy is primarily that it's Pandemic. He might do better putting the Legacy spin on good games. Catan Legacy, anyone?

That is honestly probably the best warning about the game -- don't get it just b/c you loved Pandemic: Legacy. Even if it's your favorite game of all time. They're just completely different and there seems to be next to no guarantee that liking one will mean you'll like the other.

Lyng

I would actually like a Catan Legacy. If they updated the way it plays with less randomness and added a exciting story that evolves where you follow the settlers through a period of time and many perils, I would be very interested in it.

Karkador

Banned
I would actually like a Catan Legacy. If they updated the way it plays with less randomness and added a exciting story that evolves where you follow the settlers through a period of time and many perils, I would be very interested in it.

Well, I'd want them to keep the dice rolls on the terrain giving players stuff - that's the essential Catan, but something about trading scarce commodities over a long time seems like it would be interesting to play with.

I'm a big fan of games that create those player-driven economies, and stretching that out over a long term, maybe with a "survival of your colony" aspect to it over different seasons, could be really cool.

Palmer_v1

Arkham Horror Legacy.

It's a campaign game where over the course of several months, you slowly set up all of the arkham expansions, learn the rules for everything, then have to abandon it when your friends flake out without ever playing a single actual game

It includes a small blowtorch so you can burn everything at the end for a truly cathartic ending.

fenners

I see that Pitch Car is on sale. Is that any good?

Depends what you're looking for. It's a game that looks fantastic on a table, is solidly built, and keeps its value. As an actual game, it's fundamentally flicking little discs along a racetrack. Whether that's got value to you depends on your social gaming, who you game with etc.

My kids love it, and I'm happy to have a couple of sets/expansions for variety, but it's not something that hits the table every weekend, and I'm okay with that. Always a hit with their friends.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think so. It's purely a dexterity game. We only seem to play it when we're tipsy.

Depends what you're looking for. It's a game that looks fantastic on a table, is solidly built, and keeps its value. As an actual game, it's fundamentally flicking little discs along a racetrack. Whether that's got value to you depends on your social gaming, who you game with etc.

My kids love it, and I'm happy to have a couple of sets/expansions for variety, but it's not something that hits the table every weekend, and I'm okay with that. Always a hit with their friends.

This makes me think that some of our non-gaming friends would probably super enjoy it. I may grab the base set and see how it goes.

Mr E.

I see that Pitch Car is on sale. Is that any good?
I was thinking about getting Pitch Car.
Looks fun but I fancy a Crokinole board instead, the mechanics are quite similar and it would get regular play due to ease of set up. Cost a lot though for a decent board.

lordxar

Mage Knight showed up yesterday. At a quick glance I like the package. The cards are pretty nice but I am not overly keen on the figures...eh...good enough. Watched a Youtube on solo setup followed by the first turn and part of the second turn. There's a lot to remember for sure but it seems pretty simple really. Hell I watched like 45 minutes of video last night. So that's probably a good indication of effort required. Looks like a good weekend project.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Mage Knight showed up yesterday. At a quick glance I like the package. The cards are pretty nice but I am not overly keen on the figures...eh...good enough. Watched a Youtube on solo setup followed by the first turn and part of the second turn. There's a lot to remember for sure but it seems pretty simple really. Hell I watched like 45 minutes of video last night. So that's probably a good indication of effort required. Looks like a good weekend project.

There is a LOT to remember. Play the sample setup game. Don't think you're better than the designer...There is SO much to consider with that game.

Also, once you've played the game and read the rules, it's worth reading through this: Official FAQ

The most eye opening part will be the "Commonly Missed/Misplayed Rules" section. It still is, hands down, my favorite board game ever. Anytime you accomplish ANYTHING it feels like the best thing ever. Even defeating a wandering enemy is a fist-bump moment.

Farmboy

Me and my friends would love some of BoardgameGAF's expert advice on which Descent expansion to tackle next.

- We've played the base campaign, which the Overlord (me!) won.
- We're currently playing Manor of Ravens as a mini-campaign. The Overlord (not me this time) is ahead 2-0.
- So yeah, maybe we just suck at playing the heroes 😏 and could use an expansion that slightly favors the heroes next time.
- But it's more important just to play the most fun expansion next.
- We're leaning towards doing a longer/big box one next, but if it's pretty universally acknowledged that another smaller one fits the bill, then that's fine too.

Hope you can help.

Palmer_v1

Me and my friends would love some of BoardgameGAF's expert advice on which Descent expansion to tackle next.

- We're currently playing Manor of Ravens as a mini-campaign. The Overlord (not me this time) is ahead 2-0.
- So yeah, maybe we just suck at playing the heroes 😏 and could use an expansion that slightly favors the heroes next time.
- We're leaning towards doing a longer/big box one next, but if it's pretty universally acknowledged that another smaller one fits the bill, then that's fine too.

Hope you can help.

Not 100% sure of the logistics, but there's an app that can play overlord for you, so you could turn it into a fully cooperative campaign.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

I would say also give it a few plays. I like it at first but not too much. As i learned the game and kept playing it became my favorite game, easily.

sasliquid

Played Forbidden Stars for the first time yesterday, was great fun after the first hour learning the rules, sad then won't be an expansion, at least anytime soon

Farmboy

Not 100% sure of the logistics, but there's an app that can play overlord for you, so you could turn it into a fully cooperative campaign.

Thanks, it does look interesting. However, we're a full party of four heroes so with the app taking over for the Overlord, that'd be five heroes. Is that possible?

Ohnonono

There is a lot less going on mechanic wise but I much prefer Runebound 3rd edition for my big map fantasy adventure game. Mage Knight was fun but eventually it was a real chore to play imo. It certainly is well loved though.

lordxar

There is a LOT to remember. Play the sample setup game. Don't think you're better than the designer...There is SO much to consider with that game.

Also, once you've played the game and read the rules, it's worth reading through this: Official FAQ

The most eye opening part will be the "Commonly Missed/Misplayed Rules" section. It still is, hands down, my favorite board game ever. Anytime you accomplish ANYTHING it feels like the best thing ever. Even defeating a wandering enemy is a fist-bump moment.

The FAQ should have been put in the box lol. Bookmarked. And yea the sample stuff will be the first thing I do after I digest the rule book.

I would say also give it a few plays. I like it at first but not too much. As i learned the game and kept playing it became my favorite game, easily.

I plan on many plays ;) Definitely glad I just bought the one game though. I was about to go overboard and get others too but this certainly looks like enough of a handful for now.

Are there any other official or otherwise scenarios to run? Think the Youtube guy said there were like eleven in the base game and I know of some expansions, just curious if there was anything else out there. In fact I haven't looked terribly far into how many single player ones there are in the base yet.

Xater

There is a lot less going on mechanic wise but I much prefer Runebound 3rd edition for my big map fantasy adventure game. Mage Knight was fun but eventually it was a real chore to play imo. It certainly is well loved though.

Mage Knight always looked like the kind of game I'd enjoy in App form.

Blizzard

Banned
Speaking of complex games, I saw Through The Ages: A New Story of Civilization was one of the top strategy games on BGG (#3 overall, #2 strategy).

Unfortunately, once I looked into it I saw:
  • Has no solo version.
  • Takes basically 2 hours minimum, 3+ hours with 3-4 people.
  • Has aggressive gameplay, bad for people who prefer playing against a spouse without attacking them.
  • Has a 4.30/5 complexity rating.

These together pretty much guarantee I could never get it played. :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The FAQ should have been put in the box lol. Bookmarked. And yea the sample stuff will be the first thing I do after I digest the rule book.

I plan on many plays ;) Definitely glad I just bought the one game though. I was about to go overboard and get others too but this certainly looks like enough of a handful for now.

Are there any other official or otherwise scenarios to run? Think the Youtube guy said there were like eleven in the base game and I know of some expansions, just curious if there was anything else out there. In fact I haven't looked terribly far into how many single player ones there are in the base yet.

I agree. The FAQ is a must. Should be a pack in ha.

As for other scenarios, all but the competitive scenarios should be playable as solo. It really boils down to conquering cities, though. You can greatly increase the difficulty by increasing the city level. I've yet to complete the solo blitz on default difficulty, so I'm not sure what the other scenarios are like.

Blizzard

Banned
so you guys have been playing and enjoying scythe.

what is the average playtime?
and what about with 5 players?
90-115 minutes from the BGG estimate is actually probably pretty close.

With 5 experienced players, you could still probably finish in under 2 hours. With 4 new players and 1 teaching, expect 2.5-3.0 hours.

Hope you can help.
There are only two big box expansions currently:
- Labyrinth of Ruin; and
- Shadow of Nerekhall.

Of the two, it's generally thought that the later Shadow of Nerekhall is a better designed campaign with more varied encounters. I have both, but have yet to play them -- still busy playing Shadows of Brimstone.

It also sounds like the two most recent small box expansions (Mists of Bilehall and the upcoming The Chains that Rust) can be combined together into a full campaign.

If you have an old copy of the base set with The Shadow Rune campaign, there's an Heirs of Blood campaign book that can be bought separately and is supposed to be quite good. If you have a more recent printing of the base set, the Heirs of Blood campaign replaced the old one.

Palmer_v1

90-115 minutes from the BGG estimate is actually probably pretty close.

With 5 experienced players, you could still probably finish in under 2 hours. With 4 new players and 1 teaching, expect 2.5-3.0 hours.

I've played two games of Scythe now. 4 player with everyone learning, took close to 3 hours probably. 5 player game, with only 1 new person, took just under 3 hours as well. I think if everyone understood the game, 2 hours would be doable.

Hope you can help.

Back when we were heavily into Descent, the Shadow of Nerekhall is the one that was highly recommended. We never got around to play it (still in seal box pile of shame) may be some day. You could also get the campaign book Heirs of Blood if your copy came with original campaign. We had the opposite problem, the heroes got so powerful and it was very frustrating for Overlord player.

When you decided you want to go overboard the Lost Legion add a lot to this already excellent game. Instead of city you have a boss that roam across the land.

If you look on BBG, there is a compile list of solo variant for all the scenarios. There are some of nice variations like mines conquest and dungeon exploring. Once you get a few games in of Mage Knight aside from having to look up iconography on occasion the turn will flow and most of the stuffs will be 2nd nature.

Castef

Banned
Yep, preordered. Getting great hype -- congrats!

I had to dig up his first mention way back when. Grats on the success!

Thanks a lot. :)

You are one of two games I bought at GenCon!

I haven't played it yet, but huge congrats! Do you ever make cons in the states?

We should meet at some point!

Heh, this is difficult, I even have issues attending the European Cons due to work constraints and family. I'd really like to attend GenCon next year, though, maybe presenting the new Potion Explosion expansion.

Congratulations!
I'm hoping CSI or MM get copies in soon so I can get my hands on it.

I know the game should reach general distribution right after GenCon, so we should almost be there. :)

How was it working with CMoN?

Technically I just worked with Horrible Games and not directly with CMON. Yet, I had contacts with then and had the impression of a very nice team of people, very professional.

Back when we were heavily into Descent, the Shadow of Nerekhall is the one that was highly recommended. We never got around to play it (still in seal box pile of shame) may be some day. You could also get the campaign book Heirs of Blood if your copy came with original campaign. We had the opposite problem, the heroes got so powerful and it was very frustrating for Overlord player.
Consensus! 😄

Phthisis

Pendragon and A Distaint Plain both look cool. That said part of what makes FS so good is that the map is not overly huge and it is not overly complex. By the time I get into a new one though hopefully I will know the system well enough to take a step up. I am accidentally learning a lot of history playing this game. I look up the stuff on the cards and read about what they are based on. Very fun stuff.

That's actually my favorite part about historical games; I have learned so much history in the last 3 years than I have through the rest of my life combined.

Saw that there was a new edition of Mansions of Madness and thought maybe it's time to take a deeper game into my collection..

Then I saw that it required an app.

I'm sure it helps keep the game moving, and would be a fun time, but I'm really put off by the mandatory app. Now if the game came with a calculator type of thing that helped run the game, I'd be more open to it, but something about it turns me off.. I like each game box to be a self contained experience. To know that the box and minis and whole game is useless without the app.. Maybe I'm being dramatic, but why not just make it a video game then? Why not just pass around the app and play like that? I'd be down for a digital board game, but I just don't think I can get comfortable with the idea of a board game requiring an app.

What do you guys think?

Blizzard

Banned
Saw that there was a new edition of Mansions of Madness and thought maybe it's time to take a deeper game into my collection..

I'm sure it helps keep the game moving, and would be a fun time, but I'm really put off by the mandatory app. Now if the game came with a calculator type of thing that helped run the game, I'd be more open to it, but something about it turns me off.. I like each game box to be a self contained experience. To know that the box and minis and whole game is useless without the app.. Maybe I'm being dramatic, but why not just make it a video game then? Why not just pass around the app and play like that? I'd be down for a digital board game, but I just don't think I can get comfortable with the idea of a board game requiring an app.

What do you guys think?
I tend to agree with you, but there are apparently many who don't. One of my friends just ordered the game today.

Ultimately I suppose there's a divide in the market, but there is enough room for both types of games (I hope).

zulux21

What do you guys think?
I can get it being a turn off, but at the same time there is room in the board game market for that.

personally I can't really see how someone could have fun passing an app. that just sounds horrid. I would much rather play with physical parts. Don't get me wrong I like stuff like sentinals of the multiverse and Ascension in app form, but I can't see myself ever playing it via pass and play... just bleh :/

for stuff like this though, a mandatory app seems fine. While I like games like Decent I've found either the mastermind gets pissed at the players or the players get pissed at the mastermind. Having an app to do all the mastermind stuff resolves that issue and suddenly makes the games that I enjoy the idea of, a lot more playable with my group.

one of my friends picked it up and I am quite looking forward to trying it out. I think it is a fine way to blend board games and video games, and allows for more flexible board games, while at the same time maybe making it easier for video game players to take an interest in a board game, but that might just be me :p

ultron87

I tried Mansions the other day solo to get a feel for it before playing with others. My two investigators (who weren't good at fighting) got beat up by the first monster in the game for like five consecutive turns then everything was on fire. I later realized the monster shouldn't have even moved into the room to attack them. Lessons have been learned!

What do you guys think?

I don't have any problem with it but I know a lot of people do. How I see it is the app is essentially a randomized but thematic deck of cards. Instead of the convoluted set up and 20 decks of cards now you have that portion of the game tuck away in an app. Unless you are one of those techno phobia who this day doesn't have a smart phone on them at all time.

As for why not make it into a video game or as my son always tell me dad why don't you just play a video game, that argument could be made with just about any board games. You could make any board game into a video game and some even play "better" that way. But for me board game is about physical experience, touching pieces, moving little figures, gazed at the 3-dimensional board and most of all people at the table (unless of course you are playing a solo game). I think for me board game replaced what I miss most about the current digital game movement and disposable games in the video game realm. I missed the paper manual, the nice big box, the cloth maps, all the things that board game provide plenty for me.

If you have try the first edition or solo variants of game like Descent you can see the benefit of having an app that act as GM of sort. It make hidden information really hidden and yet at the same time provide cohesive and tailor experience without the fiddly bits and lengthy set up. I am sure one probably could make several decks and set up the game like Mansions of Madness 2nd edition to be analog only, but would the time and effort be justified by the the end result. I am not one to mind lengthy set up if the payoff is worth it but with first edition of the game, what you get versus what it takes to create the world was not a positive experience.

In the end thought it is really up to you and what you enjoy and willing to sacrifice for your experience. For me I don't find this type of app to be detrimental to my board game experience and quite the opposite I find it help moving certain genre forward (namely story driven cooperative games). However if you don't like the digital stuff mixed into your board games there are so many board games out there for you to enjoy.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
My group has been on a roll picking up new games lately. We triend Millennium Blades and Black Plague tonight. Millennium Blades seem like one of fhe most insanely deep games we own while zombicide seems like probably our best mindless slash em up coop. I havent played a video game in weeks and that looks to continue with this kind of stuff going on lol.

Ohnonono

Mage Knight always looked like the kind of game I'd enjoy in App form.

It is one of the first games I played that I kinda got the "Cones of Dunshire" vibe from. Not in a totally serious way but it was like "Roll dice in order to get your crystal cubes, then use a card draft format to make your character. My wife watched me play it for a minute and Cones was the first joke she made. I twas too real.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
More Mage Knight talk...

My wife has continuing education all weekend. Last night, I decided to get a game setup and ready so that I could refresh rules today and play a few games this weekend. I forgot how much table space this game takes up. I really need to look into optimized setups for this game.

It is one of the first games I played that I kinda got the "Cones of Dunshire" vibe from. Not in a totally serious way but it was like "Roll dice in order to get your crystal cubes, then use a card draft format to make your character. My wife watched me play it for a minute and Cones was the first joke she made. I twas too real.

Wow - this is fantastic. If my wife asks me what I'm playing, that's exactly what I'm telling her. "You know Cones of Dunshire? It's kind of like that."

mercviper

More Mage Knight talk...

My wife has continuing education all weekend. Last night, I decided to get a game setup and ready so that I could refresh rules today and play a few games this weekend. I forgot how much table space this game takes up. I really need to look into optimized setups for this game.

Wow - this is fantastic. If my wife asks me what I'm playing, that's exactly what I'm telling her. "You know Cones of Dunshire? It's kind of like that."

Yeah the table space is unreal. I'm so glad I have my parent's old dining table to use for gaming. It's roughly 36"x 52" with two 19" leaves to make it even longer and we used almost all of it for a 2p game last night.

My wife also agrees with the Cones of Dunshire assessment.

Ohnonono

More Mage Knight talk...

Glad I am not the only one! That being said I did have a lot of fun with the game but have just replaced it with other games that give me what I want with less effort. I do miss some things from it though.

Top Bottom