• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Is this an issue? I thought all players played the same amount of turns.

I've played a lot with my wife and feel it is often a big advantage. As stated before there is really no way to stop the first player getting what appears to be the best start and nobles are first in best dressed.

The way we balance it a little is to not draw the nobles until after the first player has had their turn. Denying that little bit of information can make it fairer.

lordxar

Well I came into some cash I didn't expect so...I bought Eldritch Horror and two small expansions. I skipped the snow one for now. So that's sitting there waiting to be sleeved. I was looking for Mage Knight expansions but this store didn't have any. Had a shit load of Arkham Horror expansions but not the base.

On the Mage Knight side I'm about ready to finally try it. Everything is sleeved and setup, just need to read the rules and run the beginner stuff.

zulux21

A new week, and more quick thoughts on games.
august has been the most productive month in a long time for new games.

Don't mess with Cthulhu - Originally published in japan, but released in the US by the company that brought us The Resistance, it's easy to see why they decided to publish it as it takes quite a few cues from The resistance. It's a hidden information game played over a number of rounds like the resistance, but it has a number of differences. Instead of going on missions, people are given 5 cards at the start of the game that can contain certain cards depending on the number of players. In the four player game I was playing it was 15 nothing happens 4 elder tokens and 1 Cthulhu. People are given out hidden roles (in 4 players there are 3 investigators and 2 cultists shuffled and dealt out) the investigators need to find the 4 clues before cthulhu is revealed, and the cultists win if they don't do that. After the cards are dealt the players can look at their cards and then has to shuffle them and put them down, so they know what they have but not where those cards are. The game is played over 4 rounds, where in each round 4 cards are picked (by the first player passing the first player token to who ever had a card picked, and you can't pick your own card) after a round all the unshown cards are collected and dealt out as evenly as possible again. You look at the cards again and shuffle them again giving you chances for better hands to work towards your goal. Overall it seemed a bit more interesting than the resistance, but at the same time the cultists won most of the time.

The grifters: pegged as a hand building game, aka a deckbuilder without a deck. and once you play it that makes sense. You have to play cards that do effects, and as you do your old cards shift across 3 spots until you eventually get them back in hand. Some cards do things like let you shift the order of someone's played cards, others let you take money from other players (money = points and how you win) and the last ones let you recruit more people. In the middle of the table there are jobs you can do, which you do by playing the matching colors of people at the same time in your play slot reducing the cards you have for a few turns. overall it played smoothly and was pretty close so I look forward to playing this one again.

Xenoshyft - basically co cop Dominion that requires you to do tower defense as well. You build a deck similiar to dominion but in between each round you have to build up defenses as well. Overall found this one really interesting and am gonna look into the expansions for it as while the base game was fine, much like dominion it seems more content can really help.

Mansions of madness second edition: The app works great. solid dungeon crawl game with a ton of flavor and lore. haven't decided if this one will fully replace eldritch horror.

Dug out a bunch of my games that had been in storage, in particular Arkham Horror. I'm going to sit down, now that I have the space, and really learn to play it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well I came into some cash I didn't expect so...I bought Eldritch Horror and two small expansions. I skipped the snow one for now. So that's sitting there waiting to be sleeved. I was looking for Mage Knight expansions but this store didn't have any. Had a shit load of Arkham Horror expansions but not the base.

On the Mage Knight side I'm about ready to finally try it. Everything is sleeved and setup, just need to read the rules and run the beginner stuff.

Been super into Eldritch the past few months. From what I've read the two small-box expansions are the way to go at least at first and I've certainly enjoyed them.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wish I could get my friends into Arkham or Eldritch. My wife gets frustrated with the difficulty when we play, lol. I should do some solo Eldritch.

sasimirobot

Took a while, but I finally tracked down every Japanese version of Love Letter / Lost Legacy!
IMG_20160821_153316_01.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
That cover art is great. I'm traveling to Japan in December myself, hopefully I'll be able to get some quirky japanese games for my collection. Already did a bit of research on board game stores in Tokyo and Osaka.

EYEL1NER

I received Splendor from my BGG Secret Santa last year but haven't played it. I've had the digital version since it came out but never tried it, other the an initial game where I skipped the "Learn to Play" bit and just randomly selected cards and wondered what the hell I was doing. Well I just sat down and went through the "How do I play" tutorial on the app and now know how to play it. I have to say, I get why people like it. It seemed really fun, even though the game of it I played against the AI afterward went horribly for me. I'm going to have to dig the boxed version out of the garage and teach it to my wife and daughter so we can play it together.
I also am determined to get my hands on one of the AsmOPlay kits with the playmat, promo nobles, and translucent gem chips. If I had know that THOSE were the promos being given away at the Barnes and Noble Splendor Game Night event a couple months ago, I definitely would have gone.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Splendor is just too abstract and plain for me. It definitely has some deep strategy beneath the surface, but it's pretty much the exact type of strategy and gameplay I hate -- super abstract and brainburny. I'm always impressed at how popular it is though, especially as a gateway. I think part of it is honestly the cool poker chips. :)

Splendor is just too abstract and plain for me. It definitely has some deep strategy beneath the surface, but it's pretty much the exact type of strategy and gameplay I hate -- super abstract and brainburny. I'm always impressed at how popular it is though, especially as a gateway. I think part of it is honestly the cool poker chips. :)

I find that it's a better game if you don't think about it too much which is not how I approach most games. It's a good time waster, and is very tactile, but if you try to optimize every move, analysis paralysis sets in big time.

Dreavus

Had a couple rounds of King of Tokyo last week, the game still holds up as "dumb fun" but with a little bit of strategy and combo potential to it for people that want it. There's always time for some Giant Monster Yahtzee.

One of the new players in our game started to purposefully ignore stars because he wanted to get a TKO on all the other players instead of winning through score. Turns out that wasn't such a great idea. He held Tokyo for ages with a ton of "keep" powers set up, but since he wasn't counting points, one of the other two outlasted him to win. Pretty funny stuff. He said he'd have to rethink his strategy next time, lol.

Also a smattering of BattleCON in there last week too. Still love that game and it doesn't get nearly enough play for me! A couple Cadenza vs Hikaru matches, then Heketch vs Jager. Hikaru turned out to be surprisingly buff (the +3 power ante is no joke, holy crap. Throwing haymakers for 7~ damage is crazy) and Heketch has such a fun play style that he might be one of my new favourites. Threatening an instant teleport at any time is really fun.

Neverfade

Wish I could get my friends into Arkham or Eldritch. My wife gets frustrated with the difficulty when we play, lol. I should do some solo Eldritch.

Get Elder Sign. Base game is probably the easiest FFG Cthulu mythos game out there by a good stretch. I think it's still pretty fun though, although the expansions do make it better.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Get Elder Sign. Base game is probably the easiest FFG Cthulu mythos game out there by a good stretch. I think it's still pretty fun though, although the expansions do make it better.

Got it, haven't played it in a while though. Next game night we will have to play it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Zombicide Black Plague is much better than I thought it was going to be. It is easy to get nee players up to speed, it looks fantastic on the table, there is barely any downtime and once the spawn levels go up it gets pretty intense. With the expansion plus the downloadable campaign and thenfanmade stuff, we have a ton of game to go through. This and Arcadia Quest are our first Cool Mini or Not games and both are very impressive. I guess our Massive Darkness and Masmorra pledges are a pretty safe bet now.

EYEL1NER

I don't play a lot of abstract games and haven't had any interest in them. I think the reason I like what I played (and I played a couple more games of it after my post last night) is because it is a gateway game: It has tough decision-making and management of your action economy but in the end it is still really basic and simple. I like me some theme in my games but I don't mind a 'buy these points to get more of these other points' type of game every now and then.
Also a smattering of BattleCON in there last week too. Still love that game and it doesn't get nearly enough play for me! A couple Cadenza vs Hikaru matches, then Heketch vs Jager. Hikaru turned out to be surprisingly buff (the +3 power ante is no joke, holy crap. Throwing haymakers for 7~ damage is crazy) and Heketch has such a fun play style that he might be one of my new favourites. Threatening an instant teleport at any time is really fun.
Congrats on getting some BattleCON in. Were you playing with the original War or the revised edition of War? Just wondering, but I don't believe Hikaru is any less of a stud in War: Revised. He does seem pretty buff, but I think a lot of that comes from how his ease of use and straightforward strategy. You can pick him up and immediately start whooping some ass, whereas some of the other characters take a LOT of figuring out before you are able to use them optimally. I do like Hikaru a lot still, despite him being the Ken of the game. Makes me wish I could give the Evil Hikaru that I just got in the mail a try, but I don't think I'll be finding someone to play with me again for a while since that last guy moved away.

Chorazin

Finally got to play Scythe on Saturday, holy hell that's a great game. Definitely lives up to the hype! We played 5P, I think I'd like to try smaller player counts so we have more room to expand and more time to get engines going, but it was still great.

I guess our Massive Darkness and Masmorra pledges are a pretty safe bet now.

I can assure you Masmorra is a great game. Super fun, quick, and the vs. mode has great "Fuck me, no fuck you!" mechanics.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
CMON has been doing a really good job delivering on their Kickstarters. I was really skeptical on Massive Darkness up until the late-pledge. I decided to dive in and I'm getting pretty excited about it.

Played a couple new games over the weekend..

First, after buying Biblios for my brother as a gift (looked like something up his alley, and a highly recommended game), I felt like I wanted to own it as well. It's good. Really like it, though Iost both the two player and four player games I played. Fun game! I wish the sleeves I bought fit a little tighter though. Bought the fantasy flight gray standard sleeves and they're a little bigger than id like. But it doesn't seem there are sleeves that would fit it better.

I also brought Escape the Aliens from Outerspace to the table. We played a couple games. One with no items or roles, then another couple with them. Seemed to be a hit. This is one that I think will get better the more we play it.

Got a question for you painters.
I finally got around to the basing part of my practice on plastic dinosaur series.. I couldn't find the tutorial I originally looked at, and i can't watch video on this lousy internet, so here's what I did..

I already had them painted, washed, and dry brushed, and glued to a black painted wood disc. Here's what I did, and I'm hoping I did this right.. I watered down some wood glue and brushed it on the top of the base. Then I shuffled the base in a short container of grit and tiny stones (from Michael's). This didn't seem sufficient to hold the stones, so I took a tiny spoon and poured some of the glue solution onto the stony base since it was too loose still to brush, hoping it would dry with all the gravely bits in place. Still seems like there's loose gravel in there, so I'm thinking of lightly brushing more watery glue solution over them again before bringing painting them. So I'll paint, wash, and drybrush the 'dirt' of the base. Then I'll spray a matte coat over the entire thing, base and painted and yet uncoated figure. For my truer efforts, I'll probably be painting on a matte or gloss coat instead of the spray, but these are larger and I'd like to use up my spray.

Does that all seem right? I probably won't be basing my typical board game minis, but I wanted to run the whole gauntlet on these practice dinos just so I'd have some initial experience if I ever wanted to do that.

Ohnonono

So my one play of Runebound 3rd turned into 4 plays over the weekend. Went 2 wins 2 losses. Have both of the available expansions on the way. Also this is the first time ever that my 8 year old son walked up and told me he wanted to play a board game with me! I don't pressure him to take up my hobbies so we usually play music and games like Terraria and stuff together. It was so much fun watching him make decisions and stuff. Also super fun to watch how much he "played" during the game. He would make noises when his guy did stuff and when he didn't have the dice to make it to a hex he would talk about how tired his guy was. It was cool.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So my one play of Runebound 3rd turned into 4 plays over the weekend. Went 2 wins 2 losses. Have both of the available expansions on the way. Also this is the first time ever that my 8 year old son walked up and told me he wanted to play a board game with me! I don't pressure him to take up my hobbies so we usually play music and games like Terraria and stuff together. It was so much fun watching him make decisions and stuff. Also super fun to watch how much he "played" during the game. He would make noises when his guy did stuff and when he didn't have the dice to make it to a hex he would talk about how tired his guy was. It was cool.

I need to watch or read some combat examples to see how combat works solo. I understand the idea of "making the best choice for the enemy", but that seems subjective since there are damage mitigation and damage dealing attacks.

CMON has been doing a really good job delivering on their Kickstarters. I was really skeptical on Massive Darkness up until the late-pledge. I decided to dive in and I'm getting pretty excited about it.

It's easy for them to deliver, most of their products are already ready to go when they do kickstarters. It's the scummy part of their business model, they already have majority of their stuff sculpted, art done, etc, including stretch goals that are already sclupted and done at cons before a campaign is even done, the games been paid for. They just are a giant preorder machine people toss money at

Ohnonono

I need to watch or read some combat examples to see how combat works solo. I understand the idea of "making the best choice for the enemy", but that seems subjective since there are damage mitigation and damage dealing attacks.

I think if you saw someone do it once you would understand. You are certainly making decisions but any damage mitigation is reactionary. Most of the time for the enemy you are deciding to deal damage, boost damage, make the enemy re-flip a token, or flip one of your own to the other side. If you look down and have no way of surviving the next player attack you would just damage them instead of taking a turn to boost and then getting killed. No info is hidden at all.

I like the combat because it is very fast and it is really fun to get a new token for your character when you buy an item instead of just a stat boost. Also allows them to add tokens for the bosses and stuff.

All that said dice for the monsters would have made a lot of people more comfortable playing the game solo for sure.

Dreavus

Congrats on getting some BattleCON in. Were you playing with the original War or the revised edition of War? Just wondering, but I don't believe Hikaru is any less of a stud in War: Revised. He does seem pretty buff, but I think a lot of that comes from how his ease of use and straightforward strategy. You can pick him up and immediately start whooping some ass, whereas some of the other characters take a LOT of figuring out before you are able to use them optimally. I do like Hikaru a lot still, despite him being the Ken of the game. Makes me wish I could give the Evil Hikaru that I just got in the mail a try, but I don't think I'll be finding someone to play with me again for a while since that last guy moved away.

We were playing with revised, I came to the game during Devastation so I never played the older version. I think he was changed slightly? Not sure, it doesn't really say much on the wiki.

I was introducing the game to someone so I thought we'd pick straightforward characters for the first few rounds. I am usually drawn to the "speedy" characters, so some of the big hits he could set up surprised me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
We were playing with revised, I came to the game during Devastation so I never played the older version. I think he was changed slightly? Not sure, it doesn't really say much on the wiki.

I was introducing the game to someone so I thought we'd pick straightforward characters for the first few rounds. I am usually drawn to the "speedy" characters, so some of the big hits he could set up surprised me.

I just managed to get 2nd hand BattleCON War, Devastation and Strikers for 50 bucks. I saw that this was a Talton game. He sure does manage to pull of some grand designs, it seems.

Mr E.

Biblios is a great game. I'm glad that it's apparently in regular printing now.
Agreed its Dr Finns best game for me.

On a side note I received The Butterfly Garden the other week from DR Finn. Nice game plays better above the two player count though.

Ohnonono

Another Runebound session last night. Nearly got one shot by the boss. Managed to pull out a win but it was mostly because I got the skill that lets you shop anywhere on the board again. That skill is amazing and under-costed IMO, especially if the towns have a decent amount of goods in them.

EYEL1NER

I own the revised version of War but have only played the original box of War, so I don't know either how they changed him. I can't imagine there could have been a drastic change, but I do know that most of the cast of War was nerfed to bring them inline with the fighters from boxes who came after.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Another Runebound session last night. Nearly got one shot by the boss. Managed to pull out a win but it was mostly because I got the skill that lets you shop anywhere on the board again. That skill is amazing and under-costed IMO, especially if the towns have a decent amount of goods in them.

I hate you and your enabling posts.

I have 3rd edition coming tomorrow.

Ohnonono

I hate you and your enabling posts.

I have 3rd edition coming tomorrow.

LOL, I hope you enjoy it! I really hate people spending money based on my recommendations because I do so much solo gaming it does not always translate for everyone. I really do enjoy the game and have both expansions sitting in my office right now waiting to be taken home and unboxed.

Karkador

Banned
Speaking of solo games, I managed to get a new copy of the Hostage Negotiator base game, and downgraded my pledge for the new KS to "everything but the base game". Now I have something to play until all the rest of it comes out in March.

I've been on solo kick lately between this and the Oni Universe games.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
LOL, I hope you enjoy it! I really hate people spending money based on my recommendations because I do so much solo gaming it does not always translate for everyone. I really do enjoy the game and have both expansions sitting in my office right now waiting to be taken home and unboxed.

I play a lot of solo stuff because most games are too heavy for my wife. Worst case, I can offload it for minimal loss.

UCBooties

OP from the thread I made for Beneath Nexus:

c23388_79f67bc589d64fb696da333ca8c4008f.jpg

I wanted to make a thread for this sooner but I got caught up in some other things.

Beneath Nexus is a card based dungeon crawler from Silverclutch Games where one player takes the role of a Blight Lord (think Dungeon Boss and GM in one) and two to five other players take on the roles of various heroes to defeat them. The heroes have unique decks of special abilities and need to work together in order to defeat the waves of monsters and finally the Blight Lord themself.

product_shot.jpg

Kickstarter Link

I discovered Beneath Nexus a few months ago at the Indie Games showcase for a local convention. I played two rounds of the game and also got to spend a few hours talking with the developers about their inspiration, their design philosophy, and their hopes for the game.

Essentially they wanted to create a game that felt like D&D but allowed for shorter play times and wouldn't be as intimidating for new players. They also hoped that the game would be interesting enough to keep more experienced players engaged. Having played the game with two pick up groups, I think they may have nailed it.

From the ease of play side of the design, each player just needs to decide what role they want to play and pick the hero that suits them. The heros fall into basic archetypes of sword and board, ranged, heal, and magic, with each hero having a few cross discipline surprises hiding in their deck. This means it's easy to get a feel for a hero the first time you play them and start figuring out how to manage their resources and abilities. It also means that you're never out of luck because no one decided to play the cleric or the rogue, there's always just enough wiggled room in the archetypes to make sure you don't get completely screwed by a given monster or obstacle. Play proceeds quickly because the turn orders are straightforward and I didn't see it bog down into the sort of order of operations issues that sometimes lead new tabletop players into feeling that combat is slow or unwieldy.

For more experienced players I think a lot of the fun is going to come from figuring out how certain hero cards and abilities feed into eachother. Durring my play session there were a few moments where I was playing cards that directly empowered another hero in a way that not only dealt heavy damage to one of the monsters we were fighting but also prevented the other from attacking at all that turn. It felt like getting a good combo lined up in a game like Magic and I hope that there's going to be a lot more of that to discover in the full game.

The other thing that impressed me was how much care they put into balancing the game. One of the most obvious examples is how the Blight Lord scales in relation to the number of hero players. Number of players dictates the number of monsters the Blightlord can play, which is a pretty standard balancing measure. In addition, depending on how many heroes they are facing, the Blight Lord player has access to more or less of their abilities. So more heros means not only larger encounters, but also contending with more dangerous abilities.

Encounters are also balanced to be challenging for the heroes. There are persistent damage effects to be managed, considerations of tanking and striking, and monsters can hit hard against an unprepared party. Clasic D&D encounter design theory says that an encounter with monsters should require about a quarter of the party's resources to defeat. Beneath Nexus is balanced on a similar curve to ensure that there is a compelling sense of danger and challenge all the way to the final match up with the Blight Lord.

A final thing worth mentioning is that the game has some fantastic art:

CqJXP24WEAEmFau.png

The game is currently available in print and play format on the Beneath Nexus website and 82% funded for the full physical release on Kickstarter. It should be noted that the game is complete and playable from a design standpoint, the Kickstarter is only necessary to fund the printing and release of the physical game. Please take a look and consider backing. I am very excited for this game and I am doing everything I can to raise awareness and help them reach their funding goal.

Disclosure: I am a backer of this project. I am not an employee of Silverclutch games and have not worked on Beneath Nexus, however I am in discussion with them to provide writing for a future colaboration.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Been meaning to make a post here for some time as some game designer/artist friends and I are working on launching a kickstarter for a boardgame of our own and I figured this community would be a great place to turn for some advice. Right now, we have reached two big hurdles:

- Art
- Naming

The art thing is not so much a problem as it is a whole lot of time consuming work for the two artists who are toiling away on the game right now. The more pressing issue is actually naming. This problem is manifold: What do we name the game? What do we name our game company? Currently, our game is called Project Chimera. That's been the name for about the last year or so. When we first named the game that, there weren't really any other conflicting "project chimeras" out there. However, this latest season of Gotham stupidly had a Project Chimera in it. Additionally, someone is squatting on the url for projectchimera.com, so that's another count against the name.

My question becomes do you think it would be wise to look for another name in light of this or does it pretty much not matter one little bit? I get sort of neurotic about these sorts of things, so I thought it'd be worth getting the opinions of some of BoardgameGAF.

As we ramp up to the launch of the kickstarter in early 2017, I think I'll be turning to you guys for advice, as I am certain this community can provide us with insights about successful board game kickstarters. This is the first crowd-funded project on which any of us have worked. We mostly come from a mobile gaming background. Thanks for any help you feel like offering!

Karkador

Banned
"Project <whatever>" is a fairly generic and uninspiring name, no matter where you put it - it's especially confusing in the context where Kickstarter uses the "project" terminology on its own page.

joelseph

Speaking of solo games, I managed to get a new copy of the Hostage Negotiator base game, and downgraded my pledge for the new KS to "everything but the base game". Now I have something to play until all the rest of it comes out in March.

Amazing game that will only get better as you get the character expansions. Love it.

Protome

The kickstarter for Word Domination is up.

It's a first time designer, game looks cool and it shares an Artist and Design Consultant with Paperback, which i love.

I'm always up for a twist on word games!

14064144_1577098719258386_8792530814667335145_n.jpg

Part strategy game, part word game, Word Domination is a completely unique experience that lets all kinds of players excel. Some players enjoy the freedom to use any letter on the board, allowing their inner word ninja to come out and spell ridiculously long words. Others prefer a more strategic route, carefully selecting which letters to use to control the board and mess with their opponents.

Will you expand your holdings by spelling long words? Will you strategically block your opponents or steal priceless artifacts, permanently claiming the associated letter for your exclusive use? Will you use the super-mega-evil arsenal letters with their devious powers?

The winner of Word Domination is often not the player with the largest vocabulary, but the player who can most strategically use their vocabulary to come out on top.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
"Project <whatever>" is a fairly generic and uninspiring name, no matter where you put it - it's especially confusing in the context where Kickstarter uses the "project" terminology on its own page.

Yeah, I hear you, and that's actually a great point with regards to the kickstarter terminology and something that had not occurred to us. The main conceit of the game is that players take on the role of scientists and splice together genetic samples to create chimeras which then battle. The game was initially just called "Chimera" however I worried there is too much fantasy baggage related to that word for it to effectively convey the scientific theme on its own. Hence the addition of project.

Thanks for the help already! You've given me something to think about before our team meeting tomorrow.

Noaloha

Yeah, I hear you, and that's actually a great point with regards to the kickstarter terminology and something that had not occurred to us. The main conceit of the game is that players take on the role of scientists and splice together genetic samples to create chimeras which then battle. The game was initially just called "Chimera" however I worried there is too much fantasy baggage related to that word for it to effectively convey the scientific theme on its own. Hence the addition of project.

Brainfarting, but what abooooout... Fuse Off (as a play on the term 'face off').

Karkador

Banned

Thanks for the help already! You've given me something to think about before our team meeting tomorrow.

From my own observations, some of the most effective and memorable board game titles are ones that express the main action of the game. For example:

Some obvious action-word examples:
"Survive: Escape From Atlantis"
"Escape: the Curse of the Temple"
"Twilight Struggle"
"Panic on Wall Street"
"Race for the Galaxy"
"Innovation (as in, to innovate)"

Of course, many games don't follow this and do fine. There are names that describe more so an interesting setting, like a specific time or place:

Carcassonne
King of Tokyo
Puerto Rico
K2
Shadows Over Camelot

As well titles that use more abstract settings, with words that give you a concept you can picture immediately:

Dead of Winter
Forbidden Desert
Eclipse
Fields of Green
Claustrophobia
Nations

So maybe your title can evoke a setting that people will immediately get a picture of. Or maybe you want to evoke the main action of the game.

Top Bottom